Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options
1328329330331332334»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

danganabu wrote: »
    NaP the first Limerick club to win four Munsters, top top side.

Incredibly powerful team and great panel, missing Dowling today and sill pulled through, the probable final with Cuala will be an absolute belter.
    As club sides go they certainly are a powerful unit. 
    Fully expect themselves and Cuala to make the final. And I predict a second club AI for Na Piarsaigh  -  I think they a significantly better team that they were in March 2016. Can't see Cuala living with them.
    I see that 10 of them are part of the Limerick panel for the coming season. 10 is a huge number from one club.  There is a huge step up from club level to county so not sure what says it says about the strength or or otherwise of Limerick for 2018.
    Some of those that are included in the 10 are not yet ready for senior inter county imo. In fact one or two a a bit baffling if I'm being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

washman3 wrote: »
    Delighted for them. Brilliant second half performance.
    Bet some of the 'hurling aristocrats' from the 'hurling strongholds' in Limerick will be crying into their corn-flakes tomorrow morning..:p
    Having a good laugh now at the club who 'threw' a championship game last season to ensure NAP would exit the county championship.
    They got their answer this year.

I thought it was well established that Doon was down a few crucial players at the time and that they fought hard to win but were simply not up to it. That could be easily seen in next match too. I don't believe for a second that they threw the game. They just lost. Just because the result didnt suit a top team doesn't mean they 'threw' the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

As club sides go they certainly are a powerful unit. 
    Fully expect themselves and Cuala to make the final. And I predict a second club AI for Na Piarsaigh  -  I think they a significantly better team that they were in March 2016. Can't see Cuala living with them.
    I see that 10 of them are part of the Limerick panel for the coming season. 10 is a huge number from one club.  There is a huge step up from club level to county so not sure what says it says about the strength or or otherwise of Limerick for 2018.
    Some of those that are included in the 10 are not yet ready for senior inter county imo. In fact one or two a a bit baffling if I'm being honest.

I agree with you re limerick panel. Also there have been some players left out that show incredible short sightedness. Who is going to replace Richie McCarthy in the future? Why was Barry O'Connell left out again? He outplayed and outshone his team mate Kyle Hayes in club, as good as Hayes is. Or has the lad retired from county at 23 or 24? Or in some way dirtied his bib? 10 lads from NaP shows the extent of politics in Limerick. As does the inclusion of Seamus Hickey (Yes, fit as could be but not worth his place) and the two morriseys (Dad calling shots on county board) both of whom are not so far up to senior county standard yet continually make the team. We will win nothing at this rate and have a team and panel that leave massive holes in the potential for future development. I hate to be blunt about particular players , all of whom are fine people but Limerick hurling fans need to wake up to what is going on. .

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Hockied wrote: »
    I agree with you re limerick panel. Also there have been some players left out that show incredible short sightedness. Who is going to replace Richie McCarthy in the future? Why was Barry O'Connell left out again? He outplayed and outshone his team mate Kyle Hayes in club, as good as Hayes is. Or has the lad retired from county at 23 or 24? Or in some way dirtied his bib? 10 lads from NaP shows the extent of politics in Limerick. As does the inclusion of Seamus Hickey (Yes, fit as could be but not worth his place) and the two morriseys (Dad calling shots on county board) both of whom are not so far up to senior county standard yet continually make the team. We will win nothing at this rate and have a team and panel that leave massive holes in the potential for future development. I hate to be blunt about particular players , all of whom are fine people but Limerick hurling fans need to wake up to what is going on. .

You certainly didn't mince your words here some by the way I agree with but its just an opinion it doesn't mean you or I am correct like for instance I totally disagree with you on hickey but agree on Tom morrissey would include Dan as well though he showed a bit more than I thought was in him this yr though imo he cost us the first goal v Clare. Re na piarsaigh I'd agree ten players is a bit much plus no Adrian Breen in the ten? Who in the county are better than the nap players though?who would you have instead of them for me nap have one guaranteed starter in p casey but probably will have more as many as 4-5 I'd say p and m casey then prob dowling downes and possibly William o Don

A possible team might look something like

E Mac
    Finn
    R Mac/English
    M casey
    Byrnes
    Hannon
    Hickey
    Will o don
    P Browne
    K Hayes
    Hegarty
    C lynch
    P casey
    Dowling
    A gillane
    I think it'd be an awful mistake to move k Hayes out of the forwards, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Would agree regarding Hayes. Offers great work-rate, skill, pace and aerial ability to the forwards and I don't think we can sacrifice that.

Too early to know what Kiely & co will have in their heads for the coming year. Massive competition for places, particularly in the forwards where a lot of the NaP representatives will miss the league. I'd be keen to see something like the following, but the championship restructure will grow the influence of subs and a flexible "first 15".

Quaid
    Finn English Casey
    Byrnes Hannon Hegarty
    Browne Hickey
    Hayes Lynch Nash
    Gillane Downes Casey

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Richie Mac was once again our main man v KK, wouldn't drop him for an unproven English.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Would agree regarding Hayes. Offers great work-rate, skill, pace and aerial ability to the forwards and I don't think we can sacrifice that.

Too early to know what Kiely & co will have in their heads for the coming year. Massive competition for places, particularly in the forwards where a lot of the NaP representatives will miss the league. I'd be keen to see something like the following, but the championship restructure will grow the influence of subs and a flexible "first 15".

Quaid
    Finn English Casey
    Byrnes Hannon Hegarty
    Browne Hickey
    Hayes Lynch Nash
    Gillane Downes Casey

I'd have loved to see Hegarty at half back too but was disappointed in him at some of the junior matches but still might be worth a try there re your team I'd switch hickey with Byrnes change nash as I'm so disillusioned with him and have doubts whether he has it hurling wise or commitment wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Kielys choice of leaders particularly Browne doesn't inspire me and I'd much prefer Hannon had the least responsibility as possible, good luck to both

Hard to read into much the other night. Interesting points will be where Hayes and hegarty are selected when picked. I like Flanagan would have him full forward though

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭weetabix12345

Richie Mac was once again our main man v KK, wouldn't drop him for an unproven English.

Ah Jesus Richie mac is well past it I’m afraid he might get us out of a hole now and again but he’s not consistent. The spine of the team from the goalkeeper to full forward needs serious attention you build a team around the spine

• Advertisement

Ah Jesus Richie mac is well past it I’m afraid he might get us out of a hole now and again but he’s not consistent. The spine of the team from the goalkeeper to full forward needs serious attention you build a team around the spine

Name your spine?

Name your spine?

McNamara,Finn, Hayes, Browne, Gillane, downes

Build on the youth of the county

McNamara,Finn, Hayes, Browne, Gillane, downes

Build on the youth of the county

We all know McNamara can't commit so a non runner

Finn could be full back alright could English or u-21 fella be better?

Browne isn't good enough imo isn't a leader and doesn't score enough great ball winner on his day no doubt

Gillane and downes have the potential alright

I've no idea of what a final team would be but not addressing keeper issue has been disastrous

Colin Ryan and Kyle Hayes and Peter casey would be in my starting team

I've no idea of what a final team would be but not addressing keeper issue has been disastrous

Colin Ryan and Kyle Hayes and Peter casey would be in my starting team

Wasn’t aware of that, ya the keeper situation is beyond a joke like Mccarthy he has been getting away with it for too long. Colin Ryan for Browne?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Was at Kilkenny match last year.....we were wiped out in mid field that night...fennelly got man of match, Deegan hit 3 from play and Lester Ryan who came on for him hit 2 more. Buckley centre back cleaned up as well...gathered amount of ball standing all on his own. Our backs held their forwards pretty well...problems were all around that middle third so that spine needs serious thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Wasn’t aware of that, ya the keeper situation is beyond a joke like Mccarthy he has been getting away with it for too long. Colin Ryan for Browne?
    Richie Mac kept Fennelly quiet as a mouse the last time we saw him yet he's past it?? Go way outta that you troll with your 30 posts in 7 years.

Definitely Ryan for Browne or at left half back if needed

Greensoup wrote: »
    Was at Kilkenny match last year.....we were wiped out in mid field that night...fennelly got man of match, Deegan hit 3 from play and Lester Ryan who came on for him hit 2 more. Buckley centre back cleaned up as well...gathered amount of ball standing all on his own. Our backs held their forwards pretty well...problems were all around that middle third so that spine needs serious thought.

Dowling was outfield working hard and having the first touch of an elephant waste of time

Browne was poor

Pat Ryan was ok

Jimbob came on was great and hit 3 wides with the game in the balance

Dowling knows he’s getting his place day in day out on that team a lot of people saying he’s only there for the frees, well now he has competition from Gillane I hope they give him a chance and leave Dowling on the bench. That Kilkenny team were there for the taking that day we were brain dead good 90% of puck outs went down on Buckley no wonder he cleaned up. Our pick outs are a disgrace the days of belting it as hard as you can up the field are gone look at Nash fro cork how his pick outs are lead to scores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Our backs also cleared huge ball that night but in a typical limerick fashion. Hail marys into small forwards. The second half was frustrating as we could have won wit a bit more awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Thanks a lot everybody for contributing to the Limerick GAA thread, as the 10,000 post limit has been reached I'll be closing this one with a brand new one opened here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement