Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭big_drive

Was Aaron Gillane part of the senior panel this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

big_drive wrote: »
    Was Aaron Gillane part of the senior panel this year?

Yes. Came on against Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Great to win like that

Loved how management ended the clare comeback with one switch which got an immediate score

At least 3 goals passed up could have been a massacre

Plenty to work on though, take those goals for a start, Robbie hanleys first 3 shots were terrible, full back line made a few errors when it didn't need to. Some of the senior players were less than stellar

Looking forward to final in limerick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

U-21 Munster F v Cork, team named :

20246413_2019404208282773_3589091072569610172_n.jpg?oh=f25f4cdd1a6d8e4eb10c3d334bcde9c5&oe=59FD99EB

1/5 favourites :cool:

• Advertisement

Traveling up from cork. What's a good spot to park lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lim4ev

big_drive wrote: »
    Traveling up from cork. What's a good spot to park lads?

I'd park the first spot you see on the Ennis road max 15 minutes walk out from there alternatively take the tunnell and park in or around na piarsaigh's ground ten min walk from there

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lim4ev

1/5 favourites :cool:

Bizzare odds hope the bookies are correct

lim4ev wrote: »
    I'd park the first spot you see on the Ennis road max 15 minutes walk out from there alternatively take the tunnell and park in or around na piarsaigh's ground ten min walk from there

Thanks.
    That Dunnes near the pitch, would that be any good or would there be clamping?

I thought most of the coverage on this would be on what a terrible match that was with cork having 14 men behind the ball at some points but seemingly not. The ref giving frees against Cork players who were fouling and fist pumping seem to be the main comments

Poor performance played nervous like 1/5 favs, would think they'd come on for it but some players are not going well, happy with changes sideline made

Kyle Hayes' first touch and Colin Ryan's fielding the highlights on a really bad night for hurling

• Advertisement

I thought it was surprising how far off Cork's physicality Limerick were, a good few of the Limerick side will need to be stronger if they want to have long senior careers.

I presume Cork won the toss and opted to play into the wind in the first half and then just tried to shut Limerick out in the second half. They parked the bus, so to speak and let the wind work for them, with different tactics they could have won. Cork were willing to concede frees when Limerick were against the wind which is a risky strategy imo.

I thought it was surprising how far off Cork's physicality Limerick were, a good few of the Limerick side will need to be stronger if they want to have long senior careers.

I presume Cork won the toss and opted to play into the wind in the first half and then just tried to shut Limerick out in the second half. They parked the bus, so to speak and let the wind work for them, with different tactics they could have won. Cork were willing to concede frees when Limerick were against the wind which is a risky strategy imo.

Limerick won the toss I believe and took the wind, maybe to play Boylan when needed in the 2nd half

Agree about us not being at the races physically, same happened at senior which is not something we had a problem with too often in the past

Interesting about the toss. Really thought Limerick had more skill than Cork but every time Cork ran at Limerick they made huge gains.

Hard to know what role the wind played in the number of wides.

One positive, I think that's the best a limerick team has ever played against good opposition when 1/5 in the betting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

If Limerick are to win this All-Ireland they will have to beat Tipp, Clare, Cork, Galway and Kilkenny. That would be some achievement for a group and the toughest path any Limerick team would have taken to win an All-Ireland.

Lets hope they can keep their focus. This team when minor should have won the All Ireland after blowing Galway away in the semi final but didnt really show up against Kilkenny in final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

slegs wrote: »
    If Limerick are to win this All-Ireland they will have to beat Tipp, Clare, Cork, Galway and Kilkenny. That would be some achievement for a group and the toughest path any Limerick team would have taken to win an All-Ireland.

Lets hope they can keep their focus. This team when minor should have won the All Ireland after blowing Galway away in the semi final but didnt really show up against Kilkenny in final.

Can't speak on behalf of the other counties but certainly this years Tipp team wouldn't be a patch on the teams that the 2000-2002 Limerick teams beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

danganabu wrote: »
    Can't speak on behalf of the other counties but certainly this years Tipp team wouldn't be a patch on the teams that the 2000-2002 Limerick teams beat.

You can only beat what has been put out. It wont take away from the achievement if they could pull it off.

Same could be said about the Kilkenny team that Tipp beat last year.

slegs wrote: »
    You can only beat what has been put out. It wont take away from the achievement if they could pull it off.

oh absolutely I wasn't in anyway trying to take away from this year, merely pointing out the fact that the 2000-2002 team won a three in a row in a very competitive era.

Same could be said about the Kilkenny team that Tipp beat last year.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to get at here or what exactly the relevance is??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I'm not really sure what you are trying to get at here or what exactly the relevance is??

Think he may have meant the Kilkenny team that Tipp beat last year (senior) wasn't a patch on Kilkenny teams from previous years. And that in no way should take from Tipp's achievement.
    Former Limerick boss Tom Ryan reckons that this Limerick U21 team is better than the 3 in a row team. I don't agree with him (yet) but hope I'm proved wrong. Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'd also have no problem with Carey, but maybe not tactically not astute enough.

I'm expecting the following under kiley, and yes, it can be bookmarked:

Season 1: Abject failure. But he needs time.

Time for Rightwing's review. And yes, just as predicted, season 1 was abject failure. But let's be honest, no surprise in that.

Failed to beat Wex, Galway (twice), Clare, KK. Won only 1 match of any significance. KK & Clare were both very weak, yet they easily dismissed us, but tellingly, they beat no one else apart from Limk. Kiley got lucky we only met the weakest teams.

Rating: 0. Verdict: Needs to be culled. And quickly.

Whilst I'm at it:

Dublin: Cunningham 0. Similar credentials to kiley.
    Kilkenny: Cody 3. Wheels have fallen off and he's not capable of fixing it.
    Clare: 4. Avoided relegation, but a lot of improvement required.
    Tipp: Ryan 5. Hard to judge, but couldn't have got an easier path to semi.
    Wex: Fitzy 5.5 Beat a woeful KK twice, but got promotion.
    Waterford: McGrath 6 Must make the AI final at the minimum.
    Galyway: Donoghue 7: Solid season, needs to win today for a higher rating.
    Cork: Kingston 8: No excuses, got on with the job, and quite a job too.

We failed badly but the transition from u-21 to senior is an ingrained cultural problem, can't be laid at the door of any one manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

I'd also have no problem with Carey, but maybe not tactically not astute enough.

I'm expecting the following under kiley, and yes, it can be bookmarked:

Season 1: Abject failure. But he needs time.

Time for Rightwing's review. And yes, just as predicted, season 1 was abject failure. But let's be honest, no surprise in that.

Failed to beat Wex, Galway (twice), Clare, KK. Won only 1 match of any significance. KK & Clare were both very weak, yet they easily dismissed us, but tellingly, they beat no one else apart from Limk. Kiley got lucky we only met the weakest teams.

Rating: 0. Verdict: Needs to be culled. And quickly.

Whilst I'm at it:

Dublin: Cunningham 0. Similar credentials to kiley.
    Kilkenny: Cody 3. Wheels have fallen off and he's not capable of fixing it.
    Clare: 4. Avoided relegation, but a lot of improvement required.
    Tipp: Ryan 5. Hard to judge, but couldn't have got an easier path to semi.
    Wex: Fitzy 5.5 Beat a woeful KK twice, but got promotion.
    Waterford: McGrath 6 Must make the AI final at the minimum.
    Galyway: Donoghue 7: Solid season, needs to win today for a higher rating.
    Cork: Kingston 8: No excuses, got on with the job, and quite a job too.

You'd have probably culled Kingston after last year though and donoghue after relegating galway so they would never have seen this year.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    You'd have probably culled Kingston after last year though and donoghue after relegating galway so they would never have seen this year.

I've seen nothing from kiley that impresses me. Absolutely Nothing. Even last year in U21 I was appalled by his tactics v Tipp.

Clare management team said they've learnt more this year than all their years at underage. You simply mustn't give a job to someone on the back of 1 successful campaign with a bunch of hugely talented players.

The incredible question is: Have we gone backwards since TJ left? I believe so.

I've seen nothing from kiley that impresses me. Absolutely Nothing. Even last year in U21 I was appalled by his tactics v Tipp.

Clare management team said they've learnt more this year than all their years at underage. You simply mustn't give a job to someone on the back of 1 successful campaign with a bunch of hugely talented players.

The incredible question is: Have we gone backwards since TJ left? I believe so.

I think its admirable that you have kept an open mind and have been willing to give the man a chance and not bowed to what every other person, who knows what they are talking about, who thinks that a managerial term can not be judged until at least two years and in most cases 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

so galway, tipp, k/kenny, waterford, wexford, cork and clare are easy pickings, according to limericks no 1 knocker, look at tipps draw, as soft as putty according to most, if limerick had their draw we would have been playing last sunday, the standard of club hurling needs to raise, i posted before that we need a league type systm, where each team plays each other three times each year, either two home or two away the first year, the opposite the following year, the present knockout systm fails the players in that the times they play are few and seldom unless they are in the top tier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HurlingRanker

Derek McGrath inherited a Waterford squad at the end of 2013 with a similar age and experience profile to what Kiely took charge of this year. In his first season they were relegated from the league, took Cork to a replay in Munster before being hammered by double scores in the replay, beat Laois, and were knocked out by a Wexford team we would hammer by 24 points in their next game.

It was a disappointing season, and were it up to certain people here he would have been sacked. Say what you like about McGrath and Waterford but they are now a solid top 4 team who are a lot closer to All-Ireland standard than we are.

Some people never learn. Some people would happily see us learn nothing from how we handled David Keane in 2003. This is a young team, starting out. 2017 was very much year one of a medium term project. Anyone who felt we were good enough to make the last 4 would need their head checked. The maximum we could have achieved this year was a quarter final place. There were only two ways that would have happened- beat Clare in the Munster SF, or get a relatively kind draw in the qualifiers. The Clare game was disappointing, and even given that Kilkenny are probably at their worst ever under Cody, it was never all that likely we were going to go there with our present panel and come away with the win.

Expectations should definitely be higher next year. If there are no clear signs of progress through 2018 then yes, Kiely's position needs to be considered. But for now, let's just let him get on with the job, it's too early to judge.

Some people just don't get that our squad is limited. We have a number of experienced players who are 29/30 years old that are declining physically and falling away from their peak, a number of players with experience in their mid 20's, many of whom who haven't fulfilled their potential and at this stage possibly never will, and a lot of lads in their very early 20's and a few in their late teens who have bags of potential but little experience. We've very few hurlers who you could actually say would be lock ins for the match day 21 of any county panel. And any assessment of Kiely's admittedly disappointing 2017 needs to take that into account. A manager can only be as good as the panel of players at his disposal at the end of the day.

I think its admirable that you have kept an open mind and have been willing to give the man a chance and not bowed to what every other person, who knows what they are talking about, who thinks that a managerial term can not be judged until at least two years and in most cases 3 years.

In any field, I like to see progress. But I only saw regression.

The players were devoid of ideas, fitness, spirit, and indeed enthusiasm. We are going nowhere for the next two years, and as I said before, you can bookmark that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

In any field, I like to see progress. But I only saw regression.

The players were devoid of ideas, fitness, spirit, and indeed enthusiasm. We are going nowhere for the next two years, and as I said before, you can bookmark that.

there cant be that many negatives if ye have one of the strongest u21 panels in the country and favorites to win it out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement