Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭MfMan

flutered wrote: »
    look at how well have galway done at -21 level, how many ai's have they

Their record in recent years isn't good at all actually. Since 2005, when they beat KK in the final, they've only won twice more, and both times v Dublin in the final. In that time they've taken serious trimmings in finals, from Tipp (2010) and Waterford, (last year), and again have beaten Dublin in both them semi-finals as far as I recall. I don't know offhand when they've last beaten KK or Tipp at this grade in the meantime. Because so much S&C is now being done with the younger players (and in the third level colleges), nearly all teams are equal in strength and physicality. This is where Galway are really now suffering because of a lack of game-experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

danganabu wrote: »
    No, but feel free to quote it.

We'll be waiting a while before yourself or kiely delivers anything.

Chuckle chuckle. ;)
    MfMan wrote: »
    Their record in recent years isn't good at all actually. Since 2005, when they beat KK in the final, they've only won twice more, and both times v Dublin in the final. In that time they've taken serious trimmings in finals, from Tipp (2010) and Waterford, (last year), and again have beaten Dublin in both them semi-finals as far as I recall. I don't know offhand when they've last beaten KK or Tipp at this grade in the meantime. Because so much S&C is now being done with the younger players (and in the third level colleges), nearly all teams are equal in strength and physicality. This is where Galway are really now suffering because of a lack of game-experience.

They had a very good manager at that grade for a number of years, plus, Munster have had some serious teams over the last 6/7 years. Waterford last year as good as I've seen. Clare's 3 in a row, Limerick very strong at underage recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Rightwing wrote: »
    We'll be waiting a while before yourself or kiely delivers anything.

Chuckle chuckle. ;).

Please don't change the subject and quote where I said that Kiely would win an AI, or retract your statement.

One of the best U21 teams he has ever seen, better that the 3 in a row team but a week later he remains to be convinced, chuckle chuckle indeed, think someone might have taken one too many blows to the head on the Rugger field :D

Please don't change the subject and quote where I said that Kiely would win an AI, or retract your statement.

One of the best U21 teams he has ever seen, better that the 3 in a row team but a week later he remains to be convinced, chuckle chuckle indeed, think someone might have taken one too many blows to the head on the Rugger field :D

Go back over the last 10-20 pages, nothing but praise for him. One of the best manager's you've ever seen. Pathetic.

One of the best as in raw talent. Manager needs to smarten up. Waterford last year were another one. More talent that the 2000-2002 teams, but that teams knew how to win. Won replays and won matches by a point.

Go back over the last 10-20 pages, nothing but praise for him. One of the best manager's you've ever seen. Pathetic.

Please please quote where I said either that he would win an AI with Limerick or where I claimed he was one of the best managers I have ever seen, you're talking through your hole, but nothing new there I guess.

• Advertisement

Please please quote where I said either that he would win an AI with Limerick or where I claimed he was one of the best managers I have ever seen, you're talking through your hole, but nothing new there I guess.

I'll admit I'll give you credit in the .001% chance kiely does win, but until then I'm afraid I just can't take you serious. At a guess I'd say your ramblings and waffle was about 10 pages back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HurlingRanker

I thought it was a wind up when I heard it first but apparently eir Sport will be broadcasting live the quarter final and semi final double headers of the Limerick SHC!

I thought it was a wind up when I heard it first but apparently eir Sport will be broadcasting live the quarter final and semi final double headers of the Limerick SHC!

Filler.

I think some club matches were on last year to.

Filler.

I think some club matches were on last year to.

Filler?? Christ almighty I'd say you're great fun at parties!

I for one welcome this. Particularly for the semi finals which I won't be able to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

Galway have good players at underage, skilful. But if you only have to beat 1 team to get to the final, the likelihood is, you'll make more finals than a team that has to play 5 matches.

Think of it like a hurdle race, the more hurdles, the more likely you are to fall.
    or the better you are

• Advertisement

it will be interesting to watch on tv, then read the reviews on here and else where

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I think it's great eir sport are showing these games and i assume other counties matches plus it'll be the latter stages so the quality should be decent as imo there are 4 teams in limerick with some serious quality especially Na Piarsaigh who i expect to win the county this yr and have a right rattle off al irl club.

Any news re the u21s heard C lynch and a few others picked up knocks last weekend?

lim4ev wrote: »
    I think it's great eir sport are showing these games and i assume other counties matches/QUOTE]

They will be showing 30 games in total I believe

It worked out very well, thank you. I backed Galway to beat us. They have a great record against us, and we have a woeful manager. Easy money @ 8/11.

But, my point remains, if you can't beat Galway, you are going nowhere, and I've said it for months here, we are going nowhere until change of management.

Hilarious in retrospect, hell, it was hilarious at the time. Complete spoof.

As I said back in April, Galway are a serious team, but I'm glad we argued it out, just so you could repeatedly highlight how bad you are at reading games.

Hilarious in retrospect, hell, it was hilarious at the time. Complete spoof.

As I said back in April, Galway are a serious team, but I'm glad we argued it out, just so you could repeatedly highlight how bad you are at reading games.

Well Waterford couldn't beat them, so essentially they went nowhere and won nothing. ;)
    I was for Waterford though. Need it that bit more I think.

But credit to Galway, they turned in a great year after losing to Wex. Monkey off the back, they can win more now. And their minors turned over what I thought was a great cork team.

As for Limerick, it's been poor, really poor. I feel we're slipping well down the pecking order. Not even contenders now.

Well Waterford couldn't beat them, so essentially they went nowhere and won nothing. ;)

But credit to Galway, they turned in a great year after losing to Wex. Monkey off the back, they can win more now. And their minors turned over what I thought was a great cork team.

As for Limerick, it's been poor, really poor. I feel we're slipping well down the pecking order. Not even contenders now.

Meh, we haven't been contenders in 20 years. We need to be realistic about where we're at. We won't be contenders until guys like Cian Lynch are in their mid to late 20's, and even that is assuming that they guys who come after him are decent too. 2007 final was over after 10 mins.

We didn't have the underage structures right for years (and judging by last weekends underage results, we're not too hot underage at the minute either).

Limerick need to continually be improving underage, we need to be making sure the standard is always rising so that in time our entire senior panel is better.

It would be good to win next Saturday but we need to always be aware we have a huge mountain yet to climb.

Meh, we haven't been contenders in 20 years. We need to be realistic about where we're at. We won't be contenders until guys like Cian Lynch are in their mid to late 20's, and even that is assuming that they guys who come after him are decent too. 2007 final was over after 10 mins.

We didn't have the underage structures right for years (and judging by last weekends underage results, we're not too hot underage at the minute either).

Limerick need to continually be improving underage, we need to be making sure the standard is always rising so that in time our entire senior panel is better.

It would be good to win next Saturday but we need to always be aware we have a huge mountain yet to climb.

Half agree with you, but 2013, that was one we could have won, also 2015. But since TJ became manager by himself, and now kiely, we've regressed at a frightening rate. It's all about management. Get a bluffer in, and you can kiss all your good underage work goodbye.

Half agree with you, but 2013, that was one we could have won, also 2015. But since TJ became manager by himself, and now kiely, we've regressed at a frightening rate. It's all about management. Get a bluffer in, and you can kiss all your good underage work goodbye.

And yet you were calling for Cunningham to be involved with Limerick, who from chatting to guys involved in various Galway clubs, wasn't missed when the players ousted him. It's simply too soon to judge Kiely.

2013 was a disaster, that Clare game was a complete shambles and imo, in 2015 Kilkenny owned us when it counted. Our panel just isn't good enough, and won't be good enough until the current u21's are senior players.

If Limerick GAA ever want to win a senior all Ireland they need to invest massively in the schools game here. Ardscoil have done well, John the Baptist won a B All Ireland last year, where are the rest of the schools? We need more players, and we need those players to be skilful. We are very lucky that many of our young players are training to be teachers. I'd be finding them gigs in Limerick schools as teachers/trainers as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

get more gaa minded teachers into schools - primary and secondary

kilkenny gaa actively promote camogie and hurlers to come back to the county to teach

nice_guy80 wrote: »

kilkenny gaa actively promote camogie and hurlers to come back to the county to teach

Pretty much.

I'd make a list of the 10 biggest schools in Limerick and work on making them all competitive at hurling. It isn't good enough that only Ardscoil are currently competitive at A level (and as I've said before their recent results have tailed off). No mystery it, get the hurlers who are teachers to work in the schools.

• Advertisement

know what minor hurlers and camogie players are going for teaching in mary I or st pats and make sure they're offered jobs in the county upon graduation

when were limerick contenders last, their players are not getting game time, the standard between -18,-21 and senior is unreal, since galway has faded at -21 level their senior team has come on, look at their size, their physical condition is unreal, their was a pic of canning on the daily mail after their defeat of tipp, the size and definition of his legs was unreal, yet he can gas and gas,
    the upcoming limerick club games on eir will explain why limerick are in trouble, as i said before lack of game time is our bigest problem, this will not change under the present club games format, as promising players unless the are with one of the better times will never get a chance to develop

teaching appointments have changed in recent times, teachers can no longer be parachuted into any particular school

You are right, only way to go. West Limerick is a disaster area for sport.

flutered wrote: »

teaching appointments have changed in recent times, teachers can no longer be parachuted into any particular school
    never said parachute

its about promoting a limerick sporting culture and ensuring teachers passionate about sport know about upcoming jobs and are encouraged to apply and move back

cumann na mbunscol is the way to do this

never said parachute

its about promoting a limerick sporting culture and ensuring teachers passionate about sport know about upcoming jobs and are encouraged to apply and move back

cumann na mbunscol is the way to do this

Our underage is good.

wWe need a new county board, and to get rid of kiely, can't believe he has so many apostles on this thread. :rolleyes:

Our underage is good.

wWe need a new county board, and to get rid of kiely, can't believe he has so many apostles on this thread. :rolleyes:
    You keep peddling this apostles nonsense, it's in your head and nowhere else. You really don't take kindly to anyone disagreeing with your "Kiely is the worst manager in the history of sport and I can't wait to quote this post months down the line to say I told you so to all of you" agenda even though not too many have hailed him as the messiah in the way you are implying.

The simple fact of the matter is you WANT Kiely to fail, just so you can come back quoting your posts hailing yourself as some kind of genius.

Others prefer to actually support the guy. Give him a fair chance and actually root for him. You do nothing but knock him and stick the knife in, and it gets boring real fast. We do not have a top 6 panel right now, far from it. It's his job to get a young panel up to that level and beyond. No manager in the country would have taken us from where we were a year ago to the semi finals this year. Our panel is nowhere near that level yet, but some people expect John Kiely to be some kind of miracle worker.

For what it's worth, the players I know on the panel are happy with Kiely, but are disappointed with how 2017 went. They don't blame management for that and all involved are on the same page in terms of this being very much year one of what they hope to be at the very least a three year project. They are anxious to do better next year and fully believe they will.

The only discontent this year was with Barry Nash, but it's no great secret that he can be a tricky lad to handle, and Kiely dealt well with that situation, leaving the door open to welcome him back with open arms when some managers would have happily slammed that door firmly shut. And sure enough he returned without any drama later on.

2017 was disappointing but any appraisal must be grounded in the reality that our 2011-2016 team is a spent force, and we desperately need to get the new generation up to speed as quickly as possible. This was only ever going to be a transitional year, the benchmark has been set now, it was a disappointing year but progress is a must next year. Judge him on next season. 1B promotion may be beyond us as it will require going up to Galway and beating them in Salthill. Championship- quarter finals the absolute minimum, hopefully semi's.

Anyone whose expectations are beyond that needs a serious reality check.

You keep peddling this apostles nonsense, it's in your head and nowhere else. You really don't take kindly to anyone disagreeing with your "Kiely is the worst manager in the history of sport and I can't wait to quote this post months down the line to say I told you so to all of you" even though not too many have hailed him as the messiah.

The simple fact of the matter is you WANT Kiely to fail, just so you can come back quoting your posts hailing yourself as some kind of genius.

Others prefer to actually support the guy. Give him a fair chance and actually root for him. You do nothing but knock him and stick the knife in, and it gets boring real fast. We do not have a top 6 panel right now, far from it. It's his job to get a young panel up to that level and beyond. No manager in the country would have taken us from where we were a year ago to the semi finals this year. Our panel is nowhere near that level yet, but some people expect John Kiely to be some kind of miracle worker.

For what it's worth, the players I know on the panel are happy with Kiely, but are disappointed with how 2017 went. They don't blame management for that and all involved are on the same page in terms of this being very much year one of what they hope to be at the very least a three year project. They are anxious to do better next year and fully believe they will.

The only discontent this year was with Barry Nash, but it's no great secret that he can be a tricky lad to handle, and Kiely dealt well with that situation, leaving the door open to welcome him back with open arms when some managers would have happily slammed that door firmly shut. And sure enough he returned without and drama later on.

2017 was disappointing but any appraisal must be grounded in the reality that our 2011-2016 team is a spent force, and we desperately need to get the new generation up to speed as quickly as possible. This was only ever going to be a transitional year, the benchmark has been set now, it was a disappointing year but progress is a must next year. Judge him on next season. 1B promotion may be beyond us as it will require going up to Galway and beating them in Salthill. Championship- quarter finals the absolute minimum, hopefully semi's.

Anyone who's expectations are beyond that needs a serious reality check.

I'd agree wth that but I'd also add our underage systems still aren't good enough. There has been a marked drop off in underage results over the last 14 or so months, and the current u21 team hides that to a certain extent. At grades below minor we aren't going all that well and at minor this year it's hard to know if we were unlucky to meet better teams or if we have suddenly dropped off the pace again.

Limerick can not afford to be complacent about our underage structures. It's hard to tell at the minute if we're falling back or if teams like Cork are suddenly going through an (overdue) good patch. At u17 Cork beat us 16 points to 6 in the Gaelic Grounds, now I don't put much stock in u17 but all things being equal, I'd rather we had a team capable of scoring more than 6 points regardless of the result. It really annoys me to hear people saying we've got things sorted underage. Cork went on to the win the All-Ireland so they are a good team, obviously, u17 counts for little.

I'd agree wth that but I'd also add our underage systems still aren't good enough. There has been a marked drop off in underage results over the last 14 or so months, and the current u21 team hides that to a certain extent. At grades below minor we aren't going all that well and at minor this year it's hard to know if we were unlucky to meet better teams or if we have suddenly dropped off the pace again.

Limerick can not afford to be complacent about our underage structures. It's hard to tell at the minute if we're falling back or if teams like Cork are suddenly going through an (overdue) good patch. At u17 Cork beat us 16 points to 6 in the Gaelic Grounds, now I don't put much stock in u17 but all things being equal, I'd rather we had a team capable of scoring more than 6 points regardless of the result. It really annoys me to hear people saying we've got things sorted underage. Cork went on to the win the All-Ireland so they are a good team, obviously, u17 counts for little.

I'd agree our underage is something we can't afford to get complacent on, we've generally been competitive but only the one All-Ireland in recent years to show for it, maybe another to come this weekend, Waterford have two but more importantly they have been more successful so far in terms of integrating those players into the senior panel. Good and all as some of our minor teams and Ardscoil Rís teams have been, the All-Ireland has eluded them. We beat Waterford in the 2013 and 2014 Munster finals - neither of those teams won the All-Ireland, but Waterford did in 2013.

We're about three years behind Waterford in terms of development, there are parallels between their 2014 and our 2017 seasons, both disappointing but very much focused on integrating young players to the panel. Whether we push on and become a solid top 3/4 team like they have remains to be seen.

But we can't drop the ball in underage development, there's been a lot of back slapping and self congratulation from our county board in the last few years, need to keep that work going and do more. Save the congratulations until we actually start transforming top quality underage talent into top quality senior talent, we never got the best out of the potential we had from the 2000-02 under 21's, that could very easily happen all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

You keep peddling this apostles nonsense, it's in your head and nowhere else. You really don't take kindly to anyone disagreeing with your "Kiely is the worst manager in the history of sport and I can't wait to quote this post months down the line to say I told you so to all of you" even though not too many have hailed him as the messiah.

The only discontent this year was with Barry Nash, but it's no great secret that he can be a tricky lad to handle, and Kiely dealt well with that situation, leaving the door open to welcome him back with open arms when some managers would have happily slammed that door firmly shut. And sure enough he returned without and drama later on.

Anyone who's expectations are beyond that needs a serious reality check.

More concerning than u17, which was a bit of a farce, has been performances at u14, 15 and 16s at the various tournament's the last 2 or 3 years, this year the u14s were hammered by both Laois and Kilkenny, now the academy training may be able to make up some of the deficiencies by the time these players are 16 but you'd have to be concerned about what the clubs are producing, is it because competitions have been done away with at u12? Limerick have an awful habit of producing one good underage team now and then, and then wonder when they don't win a senior all Ireland against teams made up of 10 years of good underage teams. The county board need someone like eibhir o'dea in to look at the underage again or we'll slip even further down the pecking order. How a supposedly well resourced system can be so poor is beyond me but it is the limerick county board so shouldn't be surprised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement