Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So 4 travellers walk into a bar.....

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I remember working a traveller wedding in a hotel in Maynooth years ago. The functions manager called in sick that day, as it was he who took the booking. We did 16,000 that day on the bar alone, was better than a lot of weeks. Tried to open a few doors and Windows, as it was a hot summers day, and the smell was killing me.

"Hey boy, close that door. Do ya think I was born in a barn." I didn't know where to look.

Buses were arranged to take the party away. Bride and groom were first on the bus. Took years to be paid for that function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

85% unemployment but yet they all have homes and nice cars.....

Find it laughable to be honest.

Yet CAB don't seem interested where they get their wealth from.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Dr Brown wrote: »

i believe cab do cary out work in relation to this. granted they need to do more, but that is a resourcing and funding issue.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

i believe cab do cary out work in relation to this. granted they need to do more, but that is a resourcing and funding issue.

And just to add to the line of thinking if the government was interested in collecting that 13 billion from Apple we might have a lot more funding.

And forgive the pun that would be low hanging fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I think end of the road should change his name to side of the road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Are you joking?
    it has nothing to do with funding or similar and everything to do with the optics.
    Can we all just be honest. Its xmas soon.

Are you joking?
    it has nothing to do with funding or similar and everything to do with the optics.
    Can we all just be honest. Its xmas soon.

of course it's to do with funding and resourcing. cab and revenue are not in the business of letting people away with fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

EOTR is one of the most persistent people you'll find on the internet. As mad as they are, they deserve some respect for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

of course it's to do with funding and resourcing. cab and revenue are not in the business of letting people away with fraud.

But they are based in dublin, maybe they just dont know where rathkeale is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Dr Brown wrote: »

Don't think it'd be traceable for the most part, I wouldn't imagine many of them having birth certificates, C.V's or the accoutrements of settled existence, plus they flit between various parts of Ireland and the U.K, all the dire areas of outer London near Heathrow and the M25 have a substantial Traveller presence. I'd guess that they'd also flit between their immediate and extended families for work or feuding purposes.

They live in a cash economy as well, would you fancy getting past a site load of them to find out where the loot is and if they're paying tax, no, me neither!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

dd972 wrote: »
    , would you fancy getting past a site load of them to find out where the loot is and if they're paying tax, no, me neither!

They do seem to be above the law. Even the Police are afraid to enter traveller sites.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5062223/Police-REFUSE-enter-travellers-site-safety-fears.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

4 travellers walk into a bar - everybody else quickly heads for the exit <--- reality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

You think the laws about discrimination are...

You are correct about one thing, not all laws are equal. But strangely enough, you think laws to prevent damage to pubs are more important than laws that protect groups against bigotry and intolerance. I'd rank them the other way around, surely history tells us a lot more damage is caused by the latter?

What if the damage to the pub included staff working there? I've had 2 pint glasses (on separate occasions) miss my head by inches and one threat of a pool cue across my skull. All from "the last group where it is socially exceptible to discriminate against them". Strange that.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    What if the damage to the pub included staff working there? I've had 2 pint glasses (on separate occasions) miss my head by inches and one threat of a pool cue across my skull. All from "the last group where it is socially exceptible to discriminate against them". Strange that.

well, you could call the gards, who assuming there is enough evidence, will pass the evidence to the dpp, who will prosecute if the evidence is sufficient. throwing objects such as a glass at someone and threatening to belt a pool cue across someone's head are correctly, criminal offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

well, you could call the gards, who assuming there is enough evidence, will pass the evidence to the dpp, who will prosecute if the evidence is sufficient. throwing objects such as a glass at someone and threatening to belt a pool cue across someone's head are correctly, criminal offences.

On one of the occasions I did, as a full brawl had broken out and I had to. It was a small function I had the pleasure of manning myself and strangely there were no witnesses. However had either of those glasses connected the guards would be of little use to my face. The guards do however make an effort to warn our pub if there is a traveller funeral or similar in the town so I don't hold anything against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

CosmicJay wrote: »
    I'll gladly admit that I always try to judge a person by the content of their character, except travellers, I learned not to do this the hard way.

Story time;

My nan has this border collie, Zac, lovely dog, she doesn't have sheep so hes a bit useless, cant go ratting like the Russels and cant chase anything like the hounds.

Zac hates travellers, I mean absolutely despises travellers, if he sees a caravan from the road he turns into a Hellhound, absolute bouncing off the walls barking mad.

We found this out as my nan stumbled upon a group of travellers in her shed, when trying to roust them, one pushed her over.

Zac went nuclear, I mean absolutely nuclear.

He's been getting the finest cuts since.

The same group only came back round once more, dog was let out, he went absolutely schizo. That group hasnt been back around since.

Zac had finally found his purpose.

I want to buy Zac a pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

So can anyone who has been refused entry to a club because they weren't appropriately dressed now start to demand thousands in compensation its the same thing as this snt it.

Mutant z wrote: »
    So can anyone who has been refused entry to a club because they weren't appropriately dressed now start to demand thousands in compensation its the same thing as this snt it.

being refused for the wrong type of clothes isn't one bit the same as being refused because traveler, no
    being refused because traveler is discrimination and bigotry against a minority group, which is against the law. being refused entry for wearing the wrong type of clothes is a bit thick but it doesn't breach the law and it doesn't target a minority group.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

no being refused because traveler is discrimination
    When it comes down to it, they'll shout discrimination if they're not let in; no matter how drunk they are, how they're dressed, or if they had been just evicted from anther pub for fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

refusing to let travelers into your pub is the same as refusing to let blacks or gays into your pub. all the time you need to follow the laws when operating a business, there is no negotiation or leeway on that fact.

If the whole industry was awash with tales of how every time you let a few gays drink in your bar, they smashed the place up, I wouldn't let gays drink in my bar. Simple FACT is the majority of gays will behave themselves, the majority of travellers wont. There are always exceptions to every rule, but as I've repeatedly said it's a numbers game. Travellers have proven time and time again that if you take a chance on them it will likely backfire. Gays haven't proven that, black people haven't.

The place I work in has been robbed literally dozens of times over the years by one of the 3 groups mentioned above - can you guess which group it was?

I have no problem with either gays, nor blacks, travellers I do not want anything to do with. They are bad news as a group, there may well be exceptions, but so what, they are in such a small minority that they aren't worth bothering with. In the off chance that you meet Paddy the decent traveller, you may bet full well that his mate Paddy the scummy traveller will rob you blind or hit you with a hatchet at the drop of a hat. Bad news, end of story.

You say over and over that you've had plenty of dealings with them. I can see only 2 possibilities here - you are lying about the number of times you've had to deal with them, or you are lying about how pleasant an experience it was. Nobody who has had to deal with these people, has too much good to say about them.

It's not. It's a too much hassle, it's not like they're going to get jobs and pay taxes anyway so we'd rather not bother issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Is Zac planning on starting a family soon? That "culture" needs to be nourished and made sure it passes from generation to generation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I see EOTR has found this thread, give it a few days and the thread will be shut down, debate will go round I'm circles as per previous threads and mods will get pissed off with it and it'll be the the end of the road for yet another good thread, Long live good conversation either if you agree or disagree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Travellers were burning tires off the N32 near Coolock the other day, not unusual, but was unusually large fire. Could see the smoke from much of Dublin i'd say.

If I or anyone else here did that we'd have gardai and EPA on us.

Agencies we have to abide by are too afraid to go near them.

That should not be allowed in society by any group.

Travellers were burning tires off the N32 near Coolock the other day, not unusual, but was unusually large fire. Could see the smoke from much of Dublin i'd say.

If I or anyone else here did that we'd have gardai and EPA on us.

Agencies we have to abide by are too afraid to go near them.

That should not be allowed in society by any group.

I always enjoy the whole "travellers drove very fast the other day, if that was you and me there'd be a SWAT team in helicopters" ones.

Come to South Kerry, Kermit, burn everything you want for as long as you want, tires, hay that's a bit dodgy, rubbish, whole side of mountains and forestries too...you'd be very unlucky to be caught...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I always enjoy the whole "travellers drove very fast the other day, if that was you and me there'd be a SWAT team in helicopters" ones.

Come to South Kerry, Kermit, burn everything you want for as long as you want, tires, hay that's a bit dodgy, rubbish, whole side of mountains and forestries too...you'd be very unlucky to be caught...

South Kerry is not Northside Dublin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

it's because travelers are the last group where it is socially exceptible to discriminate against them.

But why? Why them? Why does it seem that Travellers have an awful reputation to the general public more than any other group?

Omackeral wrote: »
    But why? Why them? Why does it seem that Travellers have an awful reputation to the general public more than any other group?

Because it's the nature of bigotry and intolerance, to point to some justification and hint that it's deserved. Back in the day you could say the exact same thing about homosexuals to infer that they kinda deserved it - "...but why, why them, why do they have an awful reputation to the general public more than any other group...".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Because it's the nature of bigotry and intolerance, to point to some justification and hint that it's deserved. Back in the day you could say the exact same thing about homosexuals to infer that they kinda deserved it - "...but why, why them, why do they have an awful reputation to the general public more than any other group...".

Rubbish. It’s the nature of travellers.
    The reputation didn’t come out of thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That didn't answer the question whatsoever. In fact, all you did was repeat it. Speaking strictly about today, why are Travellers the ones who have this dodgy rep in society above everyone else? If everyone that's got negative stuff to say against them is just intolerant and bigoted, they'd have the same feelings towards many other minorities which doesn't seem to be the case on this thread, as many have said they've zero issues with gay/black/whatever people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No. You could do that only IF they had that reputation, which they clearly don't!

Now why don't you consider for a while WHY it is that travellers have such a bad reputation. Do you think it's a conspiracy? A society wide collusion to oppress a group of people purely for the craic?

Do you think maybe all the stealing, anti social behaviour, dumping, the ingrained mistreatment of women and animals (sometimes it's hard to know which they treat worse) the constant feuding and the ever present threat of serious violence could possibly have more to do with it?

Advertisement