Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white people dressing up as blackface

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’m sure a few posters here have seen the film Silver Streak from 1976 with comedy duo Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. Wilder does blackface as a disguise and I don’t think anyone was outraged at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Like others have said, it's the context you need to look at. If there is racist intent or some sort of ridicule involved then that is offensive but that's not the case here. This guy just got dressed up for a fancy dress party and he clearly didn't mean anything derogatory by it. If you are dressing as a celebrity or in this case as a member of a basketball team that usually has predominantly black players then I don't see the problem. If I was famous I wouldn't risk it or I wouldn't put a photo up on Twitter but that's just because I know I'd be facing a backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

This bullshít again. If you want to dress up as a black personality then without painting yourself black it's a fairly shít attempt at dressing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Strange that this alleged 'racism' is always one sided. Nobody was offended when (for example) the Wayans' Brothers dressed up as white people in White Chicks. I wonder if I dressed up green would the PC freaks get offended on behalf of Shrek and the Incredible Hulk...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Strange that this alleged 'racism' is always one sided. Nobody was offended when (for example) the Wayans' Brothers dressed up as white people in White Chicks. I wonder if I dressed up green would the PC freaks get offended on behalf of Shrek and the Incredible Hulk...

Or Michael Jackson 'dyeing' his pus whiter than white. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/white_chicks/

So is this movie racist against whiteys? The modern world is so confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Like others have said, it's the context you need to look at. If there is racist intent or some sort of ridicule involved then that is offensive but that's not the case here. This guy just got dressed up for a fancy dress party and he clearly didn't mean anything derogatory by it. If you are dressing as a celebrity or in this case as a member of a basketball team that usually has predominantly black players then I don't see the problem. If I was famous I wouldn't risk it or I wouldn't put a photo up on Twitter but that's just because I know I'd be facing a backlash.

I do think there are a lot of cases where it's not intended to cause offence but I also think that you and I aren't the people who can decide if it is offensive. I could use the n word and think that it's fine because I'm not intending offence or that it's not offensive but if a load of black people take offence then it's still a bad thing to do.

Having said all that, a white guy who does blackface nearly always looks like an idiot and is therefore funny, intentionally or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

hobie21 wrote: »
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/white_chicks/

So is this movie racist against whiteys? The modern world is so confusing

I think it's because for a very long time white people who did blackface were mocking black people. Whereas there's no history of it being the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

This bad
    antoine-griezmann-blackface.jpeg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780

This good
    White_chicks.jpg

I believe that's how these things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Things far too PC these days

You can't have a 9 year old child dress up as his favourite footballers and paint his face black. Imagine that a kid pays tribute to somebody but the mother is still wrong

CqvEQAVUkAEMs9e.jpg

The child shouldn't need an alternative costume as there was only good intentions by wearing it

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    This bad
    antoine-griezmann-blackface.jpeg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780

This good
    White_chicks.jpg

I believe that's how these things work.

Got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Not a day goes by that someone isn't offended. Everyone is perpetually offended. It's usually not the people who should be offended. It's usually the people getting offended on behalf of other people. Then people get offended by people getting offended. It's all a joke.

I find your comments offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Grayson wrote: »
    I do think there are a lot of cases where it's not intended to cause offence but I also think that you and I aren't the people who can decide if it is offensive. I could use the n word and think that it's fine because I'm not intending offence or that it's not offensive but if a load of black people take offence then it's still a bad thing to do.

Having said all that, a white guy who does blackface nearly always looks like an idiot and is therefore funny, intentionally or not.

I can see where you're coming from, but in this instance, who were the people mainly complaining? That's a genuine question by the way, I don't have twitter so I don't know if it was mainly white people being offended or a lot of black people being offended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 twinpeaks999

Miss-leading title, Hes all black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Griezmann is a pussy for apologising over nothing. Grow a pair of balls ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

radiata wrote: »
    Griezmann is a pussy for apologising over nothing. Grow a pair of balls ffs

100% agree. If anything Griezmann should apologise for apologising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It's a bit much being offended, if you want to dress up to look like someone else obviously it makes sense to replicate their colouring. I don't know how someone can come to the conclusion that Griezman or that person who dressed up as the UK politician are making a point that white people are superior to black people.
    I think it's one of those things that it has somehow been accepted is offensive, even though there is no real reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'd like to dress up as Nelson Mandela...oh I can't.

Wait now I'll go as Barack Obama...oh no I can't.

Ah sure I'll pretend I'm Jay Z...ah shìte that's not on.

I'm offended that I can't go to a fancy dress party as anyone outside of white skin colour. Discrimination that's what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Not the slightest bit racist. Great costume actually.

Still though, he does look like a golliwog. That's not going to go down well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/disney-moana-costume-pulled-after-complaints-1201868097/

Children's innocence of race and colour really getting taken away from them. I dressed up as Phil Babb when I was young, face paint and a Liverpool kit, I didn't think I was dressing up as a black footballer I just thought I was dressing up as a footballer. 

I know we're not talking about a child but I think it's similar. South Park has a brilliant episode where they want to change the town flag because it depicts a black man being hung by white men. The kids protested that it shouldn't be changed and the parents were appalled thinking that their children were insensitive monsters. It turns out they didn't even notice that it was a black man being hung, they just saw people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Not related to this post but 2 years ago I went to a party dressed as the hulk... painted myself dark green, had the messed jet black hair, ripped clothes etc.

Some daft moron comes up to me saying I am a disgrace and a racist and that blackface is horrendous etc. It was even worse that I was pretending to be a black homeless man. I couldn't stop laughing and the more I laughed, the more incensed she got, eventually she started threatening to call the guards and reporting me if i didn't remove it immediately.

Eventually another party goer told her that I was actually green and dressed as the Hulk. She left quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

RoboRat wrote: »
    Not related to this post but 2 years ago I went to a party dressed as the hulk... painted myself dark green, had the messed jet black hair, ripped clothes etc.

Some daft moron comes up to me saying I am a disgrace and a racist and that blackface is horrendous etc. It was even worse that I was pretending to be a black homeless man. I couldn't stop laughing and the more I laughed, the more incensed she got, eventually she started threatening to call the guards and reporting me if i didn't remove it immediately.

Eventually another party goer told her that I was actually green and dressed as the Hulk. She left quickly.

That must have been reeeeaally dark green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

RoboRat wrote: »

Would have been quite funny had you got really annoyed and got yourself into a fit of rage and start smashing **** up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

'Blackface' was a form of entertainment in which performers put black makeup on and acted like an uneducated buffoon while singing 'Ethiopian' songs which were actually American show tunes. It has absolutely no connection to someone dressing up as a successful, rich black celebrity for a fancy dress party.

And people can put what they want on their own face.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'd like to dress up as Nelson Mandela...oh I can't.

Wait now I'll go as Barack Obama...oh no I can't.

Ah sure I'll pretend I'm Jay Z...ah sh that's not on.

I'm offended that I can't go to a fancy dress party as anyone outside of white skin colour. Discrimination that's what it is.

Someone would have been offended and accused you of Cultural Appropriation anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I have only ever seen white people getting offended over this. I remember a kid dressed up as Chris Kamara for Halloween one year, loads of white people got offended on his behalf, Kammy loved it.

White people who get offended on behalf of black people are the true racists. They believe black people are so inferior that they cannot articulate their own dissatisfaction.

Spot on. It's the bigotry of low expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

It doesn't make someone racist but it does make them insensitive and ignorant (depending how much they've educated themselves about the reasons why black people are so offended). If something offends such a large amount of people and there's a lot of history behind it, I personally would never get myself involved. Especially these days as a celebrity, it's a pretty stupid move.

People argue that White Chicks is just as bad etc but realistically it's not. White people have never been oppressed the way black people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

At least he didn't use any black emojis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus Christ, the whole world has gone too PC.

It was a costume, it wasn't derogatory, it wouldn't have made sense or looked stupid if he didn't put the face & body paint on.

People need a bottle of cop on.

Advertisement