Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white people dressing up as blackface

Options
  • 17-12-2017 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

so is this racist.

antoine griezzman has caused a bit of stir on twitter tonight as he went full blackface

is white folk going full blackface racist or is this people going full retard too easily

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Specialun wrote: »
    so is this racist.

antoine griezzman has caused a bit of stir on twitter tonight as he went full blackface

is white folk going full blackface racist or is this people going full retard too easily

What do you think yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

b133da46b080cc8c1568b02f6a6a849f

Not the slightest bit racist. Great costume actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Who's a racist now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No it’s simply arseholes being offended on behalf of the people who they think should get offended by it but actually aren’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Nope. Its just people choosing to be offended.

There is no malice behind it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There goes 20 million off his valuation ,

Someone call Jose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'd advise anyone against it, even if you have the best intentions, going to get hammered by the above supposedly well meaning people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

virtue who..wtf is that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

No it’s simply arseholes being offended on behalf of the people who they think should get offended by it but actually aren’t.

If you were in front of me I'd shake your hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There was the Diane Abbott costume at the Darts earlier this week too, that caused a stir! A bookmaker on Twitter sent out a halfarsed apology for tweeting the pic after the outrage brigade piped up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

It's a great costume, a bit like the golliwogs of old

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Is he a f**king eejit though? The man is always in the public eye and he goes blackface. And tweets it. Moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Here is the test, walk across 125th in Manhattan wearing (1) Blackface (2) A Superman outfit
    and see which outfit is the most successful from a humorous point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

;)

dont know how to attach it properly. v funny

Is he a f**king eejit though? The man is always in the public eye and he goes blackface. And tweets it. Moron.

There is an argument to be had whether it is racist or not, however think everyone can agree its incredibly stupid for someone in the public eye to be doing it. I genuinely am shocked that he thought it would no big deal when he posted it.

Ah ffs he deleted it now because of the snowflakes reaction,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Saw a doctored pic on Twitter of Griezmann tonight with the flute of yer man who is appearing in loads of pics/videos on him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Ah ffs he deleted it now because of the snowflakes reaction,

And tweeted an apology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Rjd2 wrote: »
    There is an argument to be had whether it is racist or not, however think everyone can agree its incredibly stupid for someone in the public eye to be doing it. I genuinely am shocked that he thought it would no big deal when he posted it.

Its not a big deal. There was 0% racist intent behind it.

What shocks you about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

AnneFrank wrote: »
    It's a great costume, a bit like the golliwogs of old

Golliwogs are racist. Blackface has a pretty terrible history. Personally I’d listen to what black people are saying about it. I’ve never heard a black person be A-ok with golliwogs or that kind of sh*t to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Don't see how its racist at all tbh if you're dressing up as a character or celebrity who happens to be black. If you're dressing up as an imitation 'gangster black guy/simply a charicature of a race I guess thats a bit much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

And tweeted an apology

That's worse than his original tweet. FFS what black man is gonna look at that and get offended? Very few I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

wakka12 wrote: »
    Don't see how its racist at all tbh if you're dressing up as a character or celebrity who happens to be black. If you're dressing up as an imitation 'gangster black guy/simply a charicature of a race I guess thats a bit much

Don't see how it's racist? Well it's using skin colour as a joke to start with.

Its not a big deal. There was 0% racist intent behind it.

What shocks you about it?

It does not annoy me as there was no malice behind it, but surely he should have some sort of clue that this would annoy a lot of people which for someone in the public eye is pretty stupid?
    Its 2017 ffs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don’t think it was racist per se, but it was inappropriate and is thankfully consigned to the dustbin of history.

I can certainly understand how black people would find it offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have only ever seen white people getting offended over this. I remember a kid dressed up as Chris Kamara for Halloween one year, loads of white people got offended on his behalf, Kammy loved it.

White people who get offended on behalf of black people are the true racists. They believe black people are so inferior that they cannot articulate their own dissatisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

longshanks wrote: »

Dressing up as a celebrity who happens to be black isn't making fun of the colour of their skin. If I dress up as a white hollywood celebrity am I making fun of their skin colour? No thats stupid

So was Michael jackson racist for bleaching his skin white then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

longshanks wrote: »

So what? That's hardly an inherently racist thing to do. Context, as ever, is key.

Another example, would be Dwayne Wade (NBA player) whitefacing on Halloween to go as Justin Timberlake.

1033213-gabrielle_union_and_dwyane_wade.jpg?itok=ubNK0SwP

Advertisement