Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white people dressing up as blackface

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Vicxas wrote: »
    It was a costume, it wasn't derogatory, it wouldn't have made sense or looked stupid if he didn't put the face & body paint on.

Have all Harlem Globetrotters down the years been black?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Context.

Actually, it could even be a positive for some people, black up your skin and realize its just a color.

A lot of racial perceptions are down to the culture a person has, like a white guy (like eminem maybe) can have a sort of black identity while being white.
    Your fiddys or Biggies, thats more than skin color.

It really clicked for me when watching some random clip of a mid-west black guy who was sooo incredibly typically mid west white guy-ish.

Not like the white guy that black comedians typically do, more Hank Hill-esque, the voice, the topics of conversation, the gait, the shirt, everything was like Hank Hill just with a tan .... which he was. You'd have thought - oh this must be a report about some skin disorder phenomenon that causes darkening, but it wasn't.

I work with a lot of black guys now and manner and culture is way more important at this stage than color, to the point where you forget about the color and differentiate mostly by style, manner and culture.

Like one Nigerian guy is a cartoonish level of sambo-ish, minstrel black. He's down in my brain as a real African.

The other n.African guys mostly are just in my 'typical joe' category - my thinking, active mind knows they're black of course - if asked, but passively I don't care or notice, cause their manner is indistinguishable.

ok rambling, but perception is a lot to do with your own environment and other peoples style.
    i think theres a bit of a teasing term in black society of someone being a coconut, brown on the outside but white on the inside, just like the white rapper inverse, the pretty fly white guy, the wigger if you'll excuse me.

so yeah, if you're hung up on race then black up, realize you're still human. realize you're still yourself, like tan-mom. or michael jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

scdublin wrote: »
    It doesn't make someone racist but it does make them insensitive and ignorant (depending how much they've educated themselves about the reasons why black people are so offended). If something offends such a large amount of people and there's a lot of history behind it, I personally would never get myself involved. Especially these days as a celebrity, it's a pretty stupid move.

People argue that White Chicks is just as bad etc but realistically it's not. White people have never been oppressed the way black people have.

Except where they have. Should English people be stopped from dressing as nuns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Racist.

b133da46b080cc8c1568b02f6a6a849f

Not racist.

WhiteChicks-PosterArt.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Have all Harlem Globetrotters down the years been black?

The majority have been,

They're not known for the lanky white guy called Kyle....

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    The majority have been,

So... not all. What, people won't know he's a basketball player if he doesn't black up? I know football players aren't famed for their intelligence but...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

So... not all. What, people won't know he's a basketball player if he doesn't black up? I know football players aren't famed for their intelligence but...

It doesn't say much for yours if you think that's what he was thinking.

Also, funny to think that there's another amusingly ironic use of a stereotype to make a point (in both cases in this thread that has been to attack the fact that a white guy has darkened his skin for the purposes of fancy dress).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

radiata wrote: »
    Griezmann is a pussy for apologising over nothing. Grow a pair of balls ffs

You'd never know. It could've cost him a sponsorship deal etc, that's how scared people are of the eternally offended loud-mouths on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

On a complete side note it's an excellent focking costume. Black legs and arms as well? Dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Specialun wrote: »
    so is this racist.

antoine griezzman has caused a bit of stir on twitter tonight as he went full blackface

is white folk going full blackface racist or is this people going full retard too easily

Well let's be honest. If someone dressed up as mr T from Ateam and was white he can't exactly pull it off if he didn't have black face paint and body paint.
    Nowadays people are just looking for an excuse to be heard and have attention. Years ago you could dress up as Hitler for Halloween and no one would batt an eyelid. Now it's deemed offensive but Halloween is about scary costumes or evil costumes. It's not just an excuse for people to dress like a slutty cat which is what the hype is lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

There's more people moaning about people being PC in this thread than people being actually PC.
    Have we reached peak "I'm anti PC"?

ligerdub wrote: »
    It doesn't say much for yours if you think that's what he was thinking.

Well, you know what, ligerdub? I am quite happy and assured with my level of intelligence. I've achieved a lot in my life because of my noggin. But carry on getting sassy and defensive on behalf on some clueless twerp of a footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Silly question but what would you use to black up? I can imagine boot polish wold be a bugger to remove!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That boy look fly.

vetinari wrote: »
    There's more people moaning about people being PC in this thread than people being actually PC.

Yep, there was an accusation earlier in the thread about "snowflakes piling in".

It seems to me that you see an awful lot more hand wringing and crying about liberals than amongst them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

No it’s simply arseholes being offended on behalf of the people who they think should get offended by it but actually aren’t.

Same arseholes that probably dress as a leprechaun on Paddys Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Most of the time it's taking the piss out of black people, so most of the time it is racist. Often involves not just black face, but charicature type impersonation too.

I'd take Griezmann at face value, that his was a tribute.

Pun not intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

RoboRat wrote: »
    Not related to this post but 2 years ago I went to a party dressed as the hulk... painted myself dark green, had the messed jet black hair, ripped clothes etc.

Some daft moron comes up to me saying I am a disgrace and a racist and that blackface is horrendous etc. It was even worse that I was pretending to be a black homeless man. I couldn't stop laughing and the more I laughed, the more incensed she got, eventually she started threatening to call the guards and reporting me if i didn't remove it immediately.

Eventually another party goer told her that I was actually green and dressed as the Hulk. She left quickly.

Ya.....I don't believe that, but I suppose people get bolloxed at these type of get togethers and in turn spew same.

Anyway, wouldn't do it myself or have the inclination to do it. I'm sure Griezmann isn't a racist and it would be something I wouldn't be bothered about getting offended by, but you'd have to wonder if there's much going on in that head of his that he thought that would be a good idea.

But I suppose given that he's from France and plays in Spain, he would be desensitized to this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I am offended by people being offended by people being offended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If you watch the second episode of Channel 4's It Was Alright in the 1970s, they show a good few clips from The Black And White Ministrel Show, which is all about blacking up. One particularly funny notable offensive sketch had white actors/singers pretending to be black men pretending to be Chinese men, complete with the conical coolie hat and accent... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Racist.

b133da46b080cc8c1568b02f6a6a849f

Not racist.

WhiteChicks-PosterArt.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://imgur.com/a/TLEd6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm just waiting for someone to come along and make a clever 'White Chicks' comparison and blow the whole argument out of the water.

elefant wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for someone to come along and make a clever 'White Chicks' comparison and blow the whole argument out of the water.

You don't think the comedy of the Wayans Brothers should be used as the international yardstick of racism? I think it's a very good argument. It surprises me that those accused of racism, say like the police force in the USA, Donald Trump etc. don't just hand out cards with the White Chicks poster on it, it really crushes all those who have doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

vetinari wrote:

Good.

Ya.....I don't believe that, but I suppose people get bolloxed at these type of get togethers and in turn spew same.

Anyway, wouldn't do it myself or have the inclination to do it. I'm sure Griezmann isn't a racist and it would be something I wouldn't be bothered about getting offended by, but you'd have to wonder if there's much going on in that head of his that he thought that would be a good idea.

But I suppose given that he's from France and plays in Spain, he would be desensitized to this kind of thing.

You are right but both countries had empires and traded black people. Political correctness seems to driven by how culturally a country is by America not actual history.

Of course, for other reasons, white chicks couldn’t be made today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Same arseholes that probably dress as a leprechaun on Paddys Day.

They will never know the hurt in my heart when I see it. It's like it's the famine all over again when they do that.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

It's not racist if they can convincingly pass as a black person.

jolsonxx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They currently have no Caucasians on their roster.

Advertisement