Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Conor1974

Tesco In Holywell Swords.
    Guinness/Budweiser/Heineken/Carlsberg
    24 for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭Invincible

Irish Whiskey sale in O'Briens presently, ordered Writers Tears €40 and a couple of Jacobs Creek Double Barreled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Sorry if this was mentioned already but Cork Dry Gin, is is very strong tasting? They only have that on offer with Carlsberg in Dunnes for 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Definitely have not seen slabs of Heineken selling for €20 in about 10 years

Scary to think if our government have their way that this time next year €44+ for a slab will be the cheapest we will see anywhere. Stock up folks!

Just on the issue of stocking up,how long after the best before date will cans of beer last,if stored in a cool dry place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Frank_1969 wrote: »
    Just on the issue of stocking up,how long after the best before date will cans of beer last,if stored in a cool dry place?

8/9 month of next year is the BB on some of the cans here so fair bit of time on them. But you could be easily okay for 12 months I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Tesco has 24 cans of Heineken for 20 euro. Cheapest ive seen

I bit on this offer in my local Tesco today.(Longwalk Dundalk) Didn't notice until i got home but was €24.More annoyed that i didn't notice at the time more than anything else tbh :D So jus be aware BA hunters.

The Tesco 2 litres of Smirnoff for €40 is a great offer,that one buzzed through ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I bit on this offer in my local Tesco today.(Longwalk Dundalk) Didn't notice until i got home but was €24.More annoyed that i didn't notice at the time more than anything else tbh :D So jus be aware BA hunters.

The Tesco 2 litres of Smirnoff for €40 is a great offer,that one buzzed through ok.

If it was meant to be 24 cans for €20.00 then claim back double the difference

vicwatson wrote: »
    If it was meant to be 24 cans for €20.00 then claim back double the difference

Clearly stated on all the signs €20 for 24 cans Guinness and Heiniken and i think Carlsberg.

I'll be back on to them either for the double cash there and then or points on the value club card in the future 👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some good offers there by Irish standards but even in a pre-Xmas offer frenzy it's amazing how overpriced spirits still are - especially Jameson, which is a problem as I don't really drink vodka or rum but I do like my Irish whiskey...

That Dunnes offer - 2x 700mL Jameson for €40 or two slabs of Guinness/Bud/Carlsberg for the same.

By my reckoning if you go for the 'ooh, danger Will Robinson' spirits you get not much more than HALF of the units of alcohol for your €40 than you would if you went for the beer. :confused:

I gather them up and bring them into the local hospice- they're always appreciated there.

If I have to go out like that, it'll be in style!

Cremation might be too hazardous :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

By my reckoning if you go for the 'ooh, danger Will Robinson' spirits you get not much more than HALF of the units of alcohol for your €40 than you would if you went for the beer. :confused:
    this makes sense, since excise per unit on spirits is almost double what it is for beer.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/alcohol-products-tax.aspx

This is why the proposed MUP will see a very small rise for spirits, typical naggins would not have to change price at all, and this is the reason I think the proposed "health bill" would backfire badly. Young lads and alcoholics will turn to spirits.

• Advertisement

Comparison to North 1 litre bottles of Smirnoff anyway - McGeoughs and Murphys just on the border beside me are €20 or near enough for a litre of vodka.
    That's as close as i've ever seen them.

I like the pre-mix spirit drinks.Southern prices aren't even close to what you can get up North.Duty on those are unreal.Cider is so so cheap in the North as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Anyone spot a deal on a box of peroni I'd appreciate a heads up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Frank_1969 wrote: »

Should last indefinitely. It's alcohol, tinned. The only thing that will diminish is the taste.

Have eaten 16 year old baked beans and drank old tins of beer that were years out of date.

Wine that's hundreds of years old is quite quafable unless it has reacted with the cork.

Cheers

I see sunday world confirmed there is a dunnes (or tesco!) 10/50 voucher this weekend. Some other poster said it a few days ago but I saw no confirmation. 2 week tv guide too. Paper is 2.50 and you could buy mulitples

Sunday World
    December 13 at 1:58pm ·
    In this week’s Sunday World, get €10 off your grocery shop in Dunnes Stores when you spend €50. You’ll find your voucher alongside Sunday World’s Magazine+ this Sunday, December 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ParkyJiSung

Obriens have black barrell for 34.95.. that the best price around?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Heniken in ballybrack is bb 11/2018.
    Slabs of Bulmers 26 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Smirnoff and Jameson offers still on on Super Valu...in Blanchardstown anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

damian139 wrote: »
    Anyone spot a deal on a box of peroni I'd appreciate a heads up!!

Tesco Extra in Drogheda have 12 x 330ml bottles for €15 right now. It's likely to be in all Tesco stores. One of my favourites, I'll be stocking up for xmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lidl tomorrow. 2x 12 packs of Guinness, Budweiser and Heineken for €20.
    Part of their 12 days Christmas offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

rubadub wrote: »
    this makes sense, since excise per unit on spirits is almost double what it is for beer.

That makes sense arithmetically, but in terms of policy it makes no sense at all. If we are 'sin taxing' alcohol it makes no sense at all to favour some forms of it and disfavour others - all should be taxed the same per unit.

MUP makes no sense either but it's not about public health, it's about subsidising publicans.

Naggins are shockingly bad value as it is. The moral of the story for the pennywise spirit drinker - look out for offers and buy litres of vodka if you can - is again a public policy that works against the supposed aim of limiting consumption. IF they really wanted to limit consumption, it would not get cheaper per unit to buy a pint of beer instead of a glass, or a litre of spirits instead of a naggin.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Caranica wrote: »
    Smirnoff and Jameson offers still on on Super Valu...in Blanchardstown anyway

Ends tomorrow (Sunday).
    Apparently they have pallet loads of both Smirnoff and Jameson- no shortage whatsoever, in most stores.
    Only shortage seems to be- bottles in presentation boxes or the likes of the Jameson with free whiskey glasses- all of which are included in the same offer (if you see a bottle of Jameson in a box with two nice whiskey tumblers- its the same EUR20 price- as the naked bottles on display!)

My tesco had 4 max quotas on the 1L smirnoff, which is fair enough, they had loads.
    That makes sense arithmetically, but in terms of policy it makes no sense at all. If we are 'sin taxing' alcohol it makes no sense at all to favour some forms of it and disfavour others - all should be taxed the same per unit.
    it makes perfect sense to me, there are loads of countries with varying duty according to % or type. I doubt there is any country with lower excise per unit for spirits than weak beer.

Spirits can be made cheaply, cheap to brew, cheap to transport due to low weight. I am surprised there are not more which are high % and in plastic bottles to make them cheaper to transport. Most vodka is distilled past 90% and diluted back down. So if as a sin tax you wanted it such that drinks would be a similar price per unit you can put more tax on spirits. But for health reasons they would usually want to deter people from drinking high % stuff.

If you look at licencing ages you will see similar, in the UK 16s can drink if they are having a meal, i.e. effectively not getting as drunk. Countries like belgium, germany, denmark have different legal ages for different drinks, all allowing younger people drink stuff below a certain %.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

I would not mind seeing 35%+ being over 21s here, I have never heard of someone getting their stomach pumped after drinking 4% beer. In sweden there is no age limit if the drink is under 2.25%. It would be very hard to drink to a state of blackout on 2.25% beer.

This is the biggest issue I have with MUP, it is not excise, it is all the same price per unit, and the supermarket profit. Young lads get overpriced naggins now as they often do not have the money for a full bottle. Most do not even realise or calculate which is cheapest per unit, but if MUP comes in they will certainly see the fact that they have not risen in price and so appear "less of a ripoff".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

24 cans case of Guinness in Aldi is 20 euro today, same price in Tesco.

If you apply vouchers to the Tesco price, you can get two cases for 32 euro.

That is very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Indestructable

If MUP does come in will we be prevented from using vouchers if solely buying alcohol?
    10 euro off a 50 spend would bring it under the minimum price so I presume alcohol would be excluded similar to baby food, lotto, tobacco etc.

If MUP does come in will we be prevented from using vouchers if solely buying alcohol?
    10 euro off a 50 spend would bring it under the minimum price so I presume alcohol would be excluded similar to baby food, lotto, tobacco etc.
    They might do this to simplify things, but from my understanding of the bill they do not have to.

Say cans were 2euro min, 25 cans would be 50euro. You would legally be allowed buy 25 cans and 10 euros of other non alcoholic groceries and get the 10euro discount -as long as the total price is at least MUP. If you went up with 59euros worth of stuff they could not accept the voucher, or else might accept it but only discount you 9 euro.

This would always be the case, meal/combination deals are specifically called out in the bill as being allowed, if the MUP for a particular bottle of wine is 10euro, they can sell you that bottle, with a couple of steaks and a dessert for 10euro, the steaks and dessert could be priced at 9euro, doesn't matter.

They can also bundle the alcohol, again specifically permitted in the bill, not an oversight/loophole. So a bottle of rum will be about 21euro with MUP, currently you might get bacardi on offer for 17, and another better quality aged 8 year old bacardi for 25euro, so there is nothing to stop them making twin packs, 1 standard bottle and one better bottle and charge 42euro for the box, effectively the same price as now (17+25=42)

25354039_10156110632291600_3617534418871464397_n.jpg?oh=e386f633a75524f14f071d73a53b3ae6&oe=5AC28EC2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Thanks for you reply rubadub, it was very informative! It will be interesting to see what the retailers can come up with if it does come in.

Back to the deals. My GF got 12 of a 60 spend in tesco coupons. We bought 2 slabs of guinness and 1 of Heineken for 48 Euro today.
    72 cans for 48. Shudder to think of next year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Thanks for you reply rubadub, it was very informative! It will be interesting to see what the retailers can come up with if it does come in.

Back to the deals. My GF got 12 of a 60 spend in tesco coupons. We bought 2 slabs of guinness and 1 of Heineken for 48 Euro today.
    72 cans for 48. Shudder to think of next year :(

Newry wont be any further away ;)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

In the UK, when supermarkets issue spend & save vouchers, the purchase of alcohol with the voucher is prohibited in Scotland and I would expect the same will happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Quackster wrote: »
    In the UK, when supermarkets issue spend & save vouchers, the purchase of alcohol with the voucher is prohibited in Scotland and I would expect the same will happen here.

North Korea wouldn't even do this, sooner this shower of pure wankeristes are removed from power the better, less fools will go to pubs after it's imposed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ban of promotional sale of alcohol has been an option here for over a decade, the government hasn't yet commenced the legislation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement