Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Was in Aldi Belgard this morning and they have slabs of Guinness and Bud (24 cans) for €20. Presume that's nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Probably posted already, just to confirm

Tesco, 24 slab of Heinekin cans @ 20.00
    Smirnoff 1Ltr @ 2 for 40.00

Bought 3 slabs plus 2 Smirnoff Total 100.00
    Less
    25 off 100 voucher from Dunnes, which Tesco accept

So 75 Heinekin plus 2 Ltrs vodka Total 75.00

That's Xmas sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Question: when the minimum pricing comes in can the retailers ‘give’ away drink?

Instead of saying 2 for €40 - re word it to say €40 each, buy one get one free.

I assume they can’t say buy one get one half price as that would contravene the minimum price.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

joeysoap wrote: »
    Question: when the minimum pricing comes in can the retailers ‘give’ away drink?

I assume they can’t say buy one get one half price as that would contravene the minimum price.
    I like the way you think :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

joeysoap wrote: »

Nice try.
    There are systems in place already (for example- covering baby food) which expressly prohibit this behaviour. It will simply be rolled out to include alcohol.

Not that there will be any shortage of alcohol for a long time to come- given the way they're flogging it at the moment. Got 4 Nestle selection boxes for a fiver in Tesco earlier- Sugar and Alcohol have never been as inexpensive as this Christmas..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Beware of Tesco's beer offer

"selected beer - any 24 for €20"

It lists Guinness, Heineken, carlsberg and molson.

Reading it you think you can pick any mix of 24 from the list, but when you get to the till its 24 of one type.

Cashier was saying loads of people were coming up with a mixed selection - surely someone should let a manager know and either correct the till or correct the signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco guinness/heineken are now 24 euro until 24/12. Grolsch and bulmers etc are still 26 until 24/12
    Quackster wrote: »
    In the UK, when supermarkets issue spend & save vouchers, the purchase of alcohol with the voucher is prohibited in Scotland and I would expect the same will happen here.
    I was saying it may be done for ease here, while it may not be a legal obligation. Can you link to the Scottish law? Or are you saying some/most/all supermarkets have decided to prohibit it themselves (i.e. it may not be law), any links to that? Are you talking about their plans in the future? since I read Scottish MUP is not due to come in until May 2018, so very odd if they are doing it now.
    L1011 wrote: »
    The ban of promotional sale of alcohol has been an option here for over a decade, the government hasn't yet commenced the legislation.
    have you a link to that legislation? Most of the time it is left quite open, like the so called "happy hour" laws, they can still have "happy days" and open a bar at say 5pm any day they want with cheap drink and increase the price at 6 or 7pm. If a bar opens at a usual hour there is nothing to stop them mysteriously having none of the "cheap drink" on the premises, and suddenyl get stock in at 6pm and suddenly run out at 7pm.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

rubadub wrote: »
    I was saying it may be done for ease here, while it may not be a legal obligation. Can you link to the Scottish law? Or are you saying some/most/all supermarkets have decided to prohibit it themselves (i.e. it may not be law), any links to that? Are you talking about their plans in the future? since I read Scottish MUP is not due to come in until May 2018, so very odd if they are doing it now.

Sorry, getting myself confused. It's muti-buy discounts that are prohibited by law in Scotland. So the Tesco 25% off six or more bottles of wine isn't available north of the border (unless you're getting an online delivery from an English store).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »
    have you a link to that legislation? Most of the time it is left quite open, like the so called "happy hour" laws, they can still have "happy days" and open a bar at say 5pm any day they want with cheap drink and increase the price at 6 or 7pm. If a bar opens at a usual hour there is nothing to stop them mysteriously having none of the "cheap drink" on the premises, and suddenyl get stock in at 6pm and suddenly run out at 7pm.

Intoxicating Liquor Act, 2008. The bulk of the provisions are not commenced and are certainly tight enough to prevent playing silly buggers like that if they were commenced.

Loyalty cards, discount vouchers, the lot are banned in it - but critically, the legislation is mostly not commenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

Tesco 50 euros for 6 bottles of wine on again until Xmas eve.
    Including a delicious Campo Viejo Rioja Reserva

Beam me up Scotty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Also includes Graham Norton range, Faustino VII, Oyster Bay, Casillero del Diablo, Villa Maria, Brancott Estate and a random bottle of Madiran so you can try something different!

Full List:
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32346382

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Was in Aldi Belgard this morning and they have slabs of Guinness and Bud (24 cans) for €20. Presume that's nationwide.

If anyone could confirm this is indeed nationwide, that'd be just epic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Cormo87

I was in Aldi Coolock this evening and it was the same thing, 24 cans of Guinness/Bud for €20 so it would seem to be nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Same n Aldi waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Cormo87 wrote: »
    I was in Aldi Coolock this evening and it was the same thing, 24 cans of Guinness/Bud for €20 so it would seem to be nationwide
    danjo-xx wrote: »
    Same n Aldi waterford.

Beautiful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Hendricks gin down to 30euro in Tesco today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Also includes Graham Norton range, Faustino VII, Oyster Bay, Casillero del Diablo, Villa Maria, Brancott Estate and a random bottle of Madiran so you can try something different!

Full List:
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32346382

Don't forget you can use your Dunnes Stores vouchers in Tesco, so any €10 off €50 could be used in this offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Don't forget you can use your Dunnes Stores vouchers in Tesco, so any €10 off €50 could be used in this offer.

Be careful using the 10 off 50 vouchers with the 6 for 50 wine offer as they still give 5% off the ORIGINAL price of the bottle and this can bring the total below the 50 euro and therefore the 10 off 50 voucher is not valid

EG - wine was 12 a bottle, 6 x 12 = 72 less 5% = 3.60

now the wine is 6 for 50, so 50 less 3.60 = 46.40

you'll need to buy 3.60 worth of something to bring it up to the 50 euro spend, got caught a few times like this on this 6 for 50 wine offer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

vicwatson wrote: »
    Be careful using the 10 off 50 vouchers with the 6 for 50 wine offer as they still give 5% off the ORIGINAL price of the bottle and this can bring the total below the 50 euro and therefore the 10 off 50 voucher is not valid

you'll need to buy 3.60 worth of something to bring it up to the 50 euro spend, got caught a few times like this on this 6 for 50 wine offer

Wherever I'm caught out like that, I buy bags for life, or chewing gum

mikeecho wrote: »

Or the closest packet of ham or frozen chips, anything :D

• Advertisement

Or the closest packet of ham or frozen chips, anything :D

I usually make it up with a box of Gaviscon- they always have them at the till....... Eurgghhhh heartburn.........

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CADDmaster

Guinness 20 X 500ml

Tesco (online) Wexford €24 for 24
    Dunnes Stores Wexford €24 for 24
    SuperValu Wexford €24 for 24

Lidl Enniscorthy €20 for 24

These were the prices at approximately 12.00pm to-day

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mikeecho wrote: »
    I use the calculator on my phone so I know I have just gone over the 50. A few times the cashier has been scanning going "don't think you are going to make the 50" then keeps scanning "no way you'll make it!" then I just go over. I expect many do not go over and the cashier has to wait as they go running for some other item.

Once I was under and had to grab something, later I copped she did not scan one item.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Now I'm no Rachel Reilly but isn't 5% of 50 = 2.50.

Just saying like.

FLOOPER wrote: »

Just saying like.

You get the 5% off the gross price (i.e. the EUR72) not the net price (the 50).
    Tesco calculate the 5% of the gross- the 3.60, and then do a 6 for 50 discount- and *then* lop the 3.60 off it........ Its an arseways of doing it- but its what they do. Rachel Reilly would blush to see how appallingly they do their calculations.........

You get the 5% off the gross price (i.e. the EUR72) not the net price (the 50).
    Tesco calculate the 5% of the gross- the 3.60, and then do a 6 for 50 discount- and *then* lop the 3.60 off it........ Its an arseways of doing it- but its what they do. Rachel Reilly would blush to see how appallingly they do their calculations.........

Ah I see. How bizarre

That's good to know as I'm going to raid them on sat. Cheers

FLOOPER wrote: »

Just saying like.

No you’re not Rachel Reilly but if you read my post again I highlight the ORIGINAL price,

Seasons greetings :pac::)

No you’re not Rachel Reilly but if you read my post again I highlight the ORIGINAL price,

Seasons greetings :pac::)

Like I said.

Tesco = not very logical/bizarre

Cheers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

I usually make it up with a box of Gaviscon- they always have them at the till....... Eurgghhhh heartburn.........

Excuse you.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

does anyone know are the guinness in dunnes still 2 for €40?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement