Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Jack Nowell in for the Chiefs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,923 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

One day we'll have our Byrne/Lowe wing pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭scott1974

15 Lachie Turner
    14 Jack Nowell
    13 Henry Slade
    12 Ian Whitten
    11 Olly Woodburn
    10 Gareth Steenson (capt)
    9 Nic White
    1 Ben Moon
    2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
    3 Tomas Francis
    4 Mitch Lees
    5 Sam Skinner
    6 Don Armand
    7 Matt Kvesic
    8 Sam Simmonds

16 Jack Yeandle
    17 Alec Hepburn
    18 Harry Williams
    19 Jonny Hill
    20 Thomas Waldrom
    21 Will Chudley
    22 Sam Hill
    23 James Short

They've changed their props and No.8..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Going after us in the scrum so, or at least they hope to get parity

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

scott1974 wrote: »
    15 Lachie Turner
    14 Jack Nowell
    13 Henry Slade
    12 Ian Whitten
    11 Olly Woodburn
    10 Gareth Steenson (capt)
    9 Nic White
    1 Ben Moon
    2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
    3 Tomas Francis
    4 Mitch Lees
    5 Sam Skinner
    6 Don Armand
    7 Matt Kvesic
    8 Sam Simmonds

16 Jack Yeandle
    17 Alec Hepburn
    18 Harry Williams
    19 Jonny Hill
    20 Thomas Waldrom
    21 Will Chudley
    22 Sam Hill
    23 James Short

They've changed their props and No.8..

Waldrom was fairly anonymous last week so that's a fair call. I also think their sub props showed up better against us. Even during the yellow card we saw a difference.

This isn't like a French team that won't travel. These guys will be every bit as good, if not better, this week. We did look to open them up a bit in the opening 20 so there's still a possibility to do that again, but this will be more of the same I reckon. We'll need to get behind the lads and help them out a bit. Hopefully the amount of work we asked Exeter to do last week will tell at some stage over the 80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

We've a bit of pride still on the line, was Toulon the last game we lost at the Aviva? Bit of a winning streak going on there

EDIT: When I say still on the line I don't mean we have nothing else to play for haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Any update on Ruddock? Dude can't catch a break when it comes to injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We've a bit of pride still on the line, was Toulon the last game we lost at the Aviva? Bit of a winning streak going on there

EDIT: When I say still on the line I don't mean we have nothing else to play for haha

Yeah Toulon was our last loss there 2 years ago. We've won 3 games against Munster, 1 against Saints and 1 against Wasps since.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah Toulon was our last loss there 2 years ago. We've won 3 games against Munster, 1 against Saints and 1 against Wasps since.

Had it in my head it was more for some reason

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Any update on Ruddock? Dude can't catch a break when it comes to injuries

Prob out for season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

6 changes for Exeter which was sort of expected in many ways after last week's arm wrestle. Hopefully Leinster aren't too jaded with the lack of changes up front. They need to be willing to empty that bench early to get the sub forwards onto the field.

Tomas Francis is a horse but he's 135kg. He's not playing more than 55 minutes if even. Leinster need to absolutely work him to the bone. Hopefully we'll land a hammer blow before half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Won't be the same dynamic to this game. Exeter are unlikely to concede the breakdown again.

corny wrote: »
    Won't be the same dynamic to this game. Exeter are unlikely to concede the breakdown again.

No but their rush D will be worth 5 penalties with a home crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We'll miss Ruddock, no question. Especially in maul D. Though 2 opensides can count in our favour if we rush up fast on them elsewhere.

Ruddock due back by March. Grade 3 tear but not too bad as they go. Heard this morning that he may have already had minor surgery to speed up recovery. Expected back running by Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Looking at the remaining fixtures I think it's pretty inevitable that La Rochelle and Clermont are going to be top 2.

Clermont have Saracens at home but if they get through that they'll get 10 from their last two fixtures against Northcrapton and Ospreys.

I think Clermont have a good shot of another 14 points bringing them to 28.

I think La Rochelle will also get another 13 or 14 points bringing them to 28 / 29.

Leinster would need 15 points from remaining fixtures which is doable but extremely difficult. Montpellier in the final round are probably going to be still in with a shout of qualifying should we topple Exeter and they beat Glasgow.
    • La Rochelle
    • Clermont
    • Leinster
    • Munster
    • Toulon
    • Saracens
    • Ulster
    • Exeter

That's my predicted last 8 at this point leaving us playing Saracens at home in the quarter finals!

And they are all smashing line ups also.

La Rochelle v Exeter
    Clermont v Ulster
    Leinster v Saracens
    Munster v Toulon

Maybe the most stacked quarter finals ever. Winner of QF1 above plays winner of QF2 and winner of QF3 plays winner of QF4.

Leinster and Munster provided they progress could well have a repeat of 2009. Leinster being favourites this time and Munster with the chance to rub it in our faces for a decade similar to 2009!

Need wasps and ulster to beat La Rochelle. And a sarries win in clermont .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Looking at the remaining fixtures I think it's pretty inevitable that La Rochelle and Clermont are going to be top 2.

Clermont have Saracens at home but if they get through that they'll get 10 from their last two fixtures against Northcrapton and Ospreys.

I think La Rochelle will also get another 13 or 14 points bringing them to 28 / 29.

Leinster would need 15 points from remaining fixtures which is doable but extremely difficult. Montpellier in the final round are probably going to be still in with a shout of qualifying should we topple Exeter and they beat Glasgow.
    • La Rochelle
    • Clermont
    • Leinster
    • Munster
    • Toulon
    • Saracens
    • Ulster
    • Exeter

That's my predicted last 8 at this point leaving us playing Saracens at home in the quarter finals!

La Rochelle v Exeter
    Clermont v Ulster
    Leinster v Saracens
    Munster v Toulon

Maybe the most stacked quarter finals ever. Winner of QF1 above plays winner of QF2 and winner of QF3 plays winner of QF4.

Leinster and Munster provided they progress could well have a repeat of 2009. Leinster being favourites this time and Munster with the chance to rub it in our faces for a decade similar to 2009!

If that is the way the QF's turn out i think everything will be looking forward to those games. No easy games there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,042 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

corny wrote: »

If they do that and leave space out wide we won't really be in a position to exploit it so would certainly be a wiser option for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

• La Rochelle
    • Clermont
    • Leinster
    • Munster
    • Toulon
    • Saracens
    • Ulster
    • Exeter

La Rochelle v Exeter
    Clermont v Ulster
    Leinster v Saracens
    Munster v Toulon

I dream of a Saracens vs La Rochelle match up... the best defensive (possibly gone backwards this year) against the best attack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭redmca2

Has our team been announced yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

redmca2 wrote: »
    Has our team been announced yet?

Few posts back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Oh yeah, nearly forgot..

The Leinster squad v Exeter in numbers:

18/23 Ireland capped players (78%)
    20/23 Internationally capped players - added Fardy and Isa (87%)
    16/23 Players who have only ever played for Leinster (70%)
    17/23 Leinster developed players - added Sexton (74%)
    19/23 Ireland developed players - added Cronin and Henshaw (83%)

Same as last week.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Any recommendations for a pub to watch tomorrow's match in in Kilkenny city?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,279 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dregin wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a pub to watch tomorrow's match in in Kilkenny city?

cant beat matt the millers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Furlong's signed a 3-year central contract.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Furlong's signed a 3-year central contract.

Great to have him secured. Best player in the world in his position.

Looking at team sheets for weekend, Glasgow have thrown the towel in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That's how you do it Tadhg. No cascade of media leaks of "big money offers in France", of which I'm sure there were many. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,923 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

When you think about it it's incredible how much Furlong has progressed over the last 18 months. It wasn't until last season's 6 Nations that he was Ireland's and Leinster's undisputed starting tighthead. In 2016 it was Nathan White and Mike Ross swapping the starting berth with each other.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    When you think about it it's incredible how much Furlong has progressed over the last 18 months. It wasn't until last season's 6 Nations that he was Ireland's and Leinster's undisputed starting tighthead. In 2016 it was Nathan White and Mike Ross swapping the starting berth with each other.

I remember watching the tour to South Africa and Furlong despite being there got fairly limited time if I recall correctly.

Maybe there were times he was held back but by all accounts it looks like his progression has been managed perfectly be Leo and Joe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement