Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

I'd not be surprised if Isa retires at the end of the season and I'd also not be surprised if he took on a coaching role with Leinster as either skills or backs coach if Dempsy moves on.

I've no desire to see Dempsy move on mind, there have been some quality backs through during his time in the role.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Didn't realise there was substantial rumours and a possible club :eek:

Him leaving will leave us very thin on hookers unless Kelleher or Byrne can properly step up

Byrne's throwing isn't good enough and that's saying a lot given how poor Tracy/Cronin are there.

Kelleher is the great white hope.

I'd not be surprised if Isa retires at the end of the season and I'd also not be surprised if he took on a coaching role with Leinster as either skills or backs coach if Dempsy moves on.

I've no desire to see Dempsy move on mind, there have been some quality backs through during his time in the role.

Dempsey may wish to leave to expand horizons/responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I can see Dooley moving on as he appears to have fallen behind Byrne now in the pecking order. Ulster could certainly do worse than bring him north.

Bent should be retained but with Porter jumping him in the pecking order he might entertain the idea of a move. He has had a good stint here and showed he can play both sides along with picking up a few caps. At 31, I would imagine his chances of another call up are gone and he could take a long hard look at a half decent pay day in France before calling it a day.

From an operational perspective, I would be happy enough to see Isa, Nagle, Marsh, Dooley and Timmins all move on. I don't think any of them (possible exception of Dooley) have much of a future at Leinster in the next few years.

I'd be sorry to see Cronin or McFadden depart but I can see one or both leaving for a final contract elsewhere. McFadden has made a huge amount out of what is essentially a limited amount of ability, relatively. He's still getting starts in Europe too which puts him in a solid position for getting a half decent pay out elsewhere. Reading Gordon D'Arcy's article of late it would seem that this stage is where his contract is going to take a big hit due to his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Kearney is on a central no? Would be surpised if he gets another, although his performances of late seem to see him being back in the driver seat.

Can't see Isa being kept on. Whatever about being almost 36, he's also a NIQ and Larmour, Byrne, Lowe, Daly et all are coming through.

Of those I can see Isa, Cronin, Nagle, Daly, Dooley and Timmins moving on.

EDIT: Daly might get another year to prove himself. He's a bloody big unit so if he can show his worth he might be a very good player. Haven't seen class potential yet

Leinster rarely let more than a couple leave at the end of the season. No reason to let Cronin or Dooley go, both play an important role in the squad with their respective replacements either being poorer quality or more expensive. Timmins seems to have been jumped by Josh Murphy so could be gone. Nagle and Daly 6th and 5th choice for their respective positions so whilst they are used they could find a move elsewhere more suitable

Isa would surely get a coaching role if he wanted it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I doubt he'd be interested in something like that. He was an assistant coach at the Blues before he came back to Leinster.

I don't mean this to sound too dismissive but, he was "mental skills coach" with the worst team in New Zealand. I'm not saying he's not up to it, but I'd like to see him hone his skills working with some fantastic academy prospects who probably worship him anyway :pac:

THFC198 wrote: »
    Leinster rarely let more than a couple leave at the end of the season. No reason to let Cronin or Dooley go, both play an important role in the squad with their respective replacements either being poorer quality or more expensive. Timmins seems to have been jumped by Josh Murphy so could be gone. Nagle and Daly 6th and 5th choice for their respective positions so whilst they are used they could find a move elsewhere more suitable

Isa would surely get a coaching role if he wanted it

Cronin/Dooley may want to leave, not much leinster can do about that.. Cronin for better deal at end of his career, Dooley for gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    Well that would be crap.

The contract offer will fall off a cliff now that he's out of the Ireland setup. It's going to be near impossible for Leinster to retain Cronin given his profile.

I'd expect Leinster to look at Duncan Casey or Mike Sherry for next season. At least one of them is certain to be let go by Munster, Kevin O'Byrne (also out of contract) is ahead of both of them.

If Nacewa moves on, a hooker is going to have to be high on the shopping list for Leinster to compete with Tracy and our other options all of which are various shades of concerning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I doubt he'd be interested in something like that. He was an assistant coach at the Blues before he came back to Leinster.

He was 'mental coach' I think

Not a proper part of the senior coaching ticket.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/the-left-wing/i-was-unbelievably-pissed-off-luke-fitzgerald-on-how-leinster-made-a-big-mistake-in-axing-former-coach-36409536.html

Interesting to read Luke Fitzgerald thinking Leinster were wrong to axe MOC. In reflection it was handled badly and Leo wasn't ready and they couldn't find anyone better but Leo was able to bring in Graham Henry as a Consultant and later Stuart Lancaster to help get the coaching ticket where it needed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I don't mean this to sound too dismissive but, he was "mental skills coach" with the worst team in New Zealand. I'm not saying he's not up to it, but I'd like to see him hone his skills working with some fantastic academy prospects who probably worship him anyway :pac:
    There's already a team in place there though. Whereas if Dempsey is leaving, there's an obvious place for him to slot in.

THFC198 wrote: »
    Leinster rarely let more than a couple leave at the end of the season. No reason to let Cronin or Dooley go, both play an important role in the squad with their respective replacements either being poorer quality or more expensive.

It's a two way street. Why would they want to stay?

He was 'mental coach' I think

Not a proper part of the senior coaching ticket.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/the-left-wing/i-was-unbelievably-pissed-off-luke-fitzgerald-on-how-leinster-made-a-big-mistake-in-axing-former-coach-36409536.html

Interesting to read Luke Fitzgerald thinking Leinster were wrong to axe MOC. In reflection it was handled badly and Leo wasn't ready and they couldn't find anyone better but Leo was able to bring in Graham Henry as a Consultant and later Stuart Lancaster to help get the coaching ticket where it needed to be.

Lukey loved MOC. But MOC leaving was certainly the right thing to do, even if there was short term pain.

There's already a team in place there though. Whereas if Dempsey is leaving, there's an obvious place for him to slot in.

There's a player development officer double jobbing as head coach of Leinster a. That's an obvious slot if someone is looking to cut their teeth in the coaching setup.

There's a player development officer double jobbing as head coach of Leinster a. That's an obvious slot if someone is looking to cut their teeth in the coaching setup.

IMO they'd probably want Nacewa involved with 1st team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

irishfan9 wrote: »
    IMO they'd probably want Nacewa involved with 1st team

Initially Girve was only offered a 1 year deal as backs coach when all the others got 2 year deals. He held out and got a 2nd year. I felt at the time it was with the idea of putting Isa in there at the end of his playing contract

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

When is the team announced for tomorrow?

godtabh wrote: »
    When is the team announced for tomorrow?

12pm

I'd assume bar the IRFU sanctioning a signing leinster's top two hookers next season will be Tracy/Strauss with Byrne/McNulty/Kelleher or An Other(Finlay?) battling it out for 3rd choice.

Looking at the remaining fixtures I think it's pretty inevitable that La Rochelle and Clermont are going to be top 2.

Clermont have Saracens at home but if they get through that they'll get 10 from their last two fixtures against Northcrapton and Ospreys.

I think Clermont have a good shot of another 14 points bringing them to 28.

I think La Rochelle will also get another 13 or 14 points bringing them to 28 / 29.

Leinster would need 15 points from remaining fixtures which is doable but extremely difficult. Montpellier in the final round are probably going to be still in with a shout of qualifying should we topple Exeter and they beat Glasgow.
    • La Rochelle
    • Clermont
    • Leinster
    • Munster
    • Toulon
    • Saracens
    • Ulster
    • Exeter

That's my predicted last 8 at this point leaving us playing Saracens at home in the quarter finals!

And they are all smashing line ups also.

La Rochelle v Exeter
    Clermont v Ulster
    Leinster v Saracens
    Munster v Toulon

Maybe the most stacked quarter finals ever. Winner of QF1 above plays winner of QF2 and winner of QF3 plays winner of QF4.

Leinster and Munster provided they progress could well have a repeat of 2009. Leinster being favourites this time and Munster with the chance to rub it in our faces for a decade similar to 2009!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

I'd assume bar the IRFU sanctioning a signing leinster's top two hookers next season will be Tracy/Strauss with Byrne/McNulty/Kelleher or An Other(Finlay?) battling it out for 3rd choice.
    Would be good if Finlay got in. Heard there was conversations happening at the end of last season about it.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Would be good if Finlay got in. Heard there was conversations happening at the end of last season about it.

He played A team rugby last year.. i'd say with McNulty out of contract and Cronin leaving he may get a trial next summer.. but that's pure speculation

If Cronin leaves there will be a signing.

I'm not sure if it will be Casey/Sherry or Tom Sexton/JHW or a NIQ but I would not be happy with Tracey Struss and three young lads battling for third choice.

If Cronin leaves there will be a signing.

I'm not sure if it will be Casey/Sherry or Tom Sexton/JHW or a NIQ but I would not be happy with Tracey Struss and three young lads battling for third choice.

Byrne is hardly young at 24, 25 at the start of next season.

Now is he good enough is a different discussion..

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Rob Kearney (189)
    14. Fergus McFadden (159)
    13. Garry Ringrose (41)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (17)
    11. Isa Nacewa (176) CAPTAIN
    10. Johnny Sexton (140)
    9. Luke McGrath (84)
    1. Cian Healy (181)
    2. Seán Cronin (140)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (73)
    4. Devin Toner (206)
    5. Scott Fardy (9)
    6. Seán O’Brien (113)
    7. Josh van der Flier (55)
    8. Jack Conan (62)

16. James Tracy (52)
    17. Jack McGrath (120)
    18. Andrew Porter (17)
    19. James Ryan (6)
    20. Dan Leavy (44)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (39)
    22. Ross Byrne (36)
    23. Jordan Larmour (9)

Byrne is hardly young at 24, 25 at the start of next season.

Now is he good enough is a different discussion..

Fair point. I tend to think he is young than he is. He has spent so much time injured. I was a big fan of his a few years ago but I fear the injury record.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is Adam Byrne injured?

Fair point. I tend to think he is young than he is. He has spent so much time injured. I was a big fan of his a few years ago but I fear the injury record.

his brother was constantly injured, bryan not so.. his darts are his biggest problem.

awec wrote: »
    Is Adam Byrne injured?

yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Team did the business last week so not much need for change.

Making it to be cold but dry tomorrow, might see some attacking rugby.

Exeters constant offside prevented a lot of attacking rugby, 30000 people shouting offside will stop that sharpish ha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement