Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I saw what looked like a cyclist down just up from the Radisson Blu on Golden Lane before 10am today, with somebody helping them back up - presumably ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Phoenix park cycle lane is Lethal coming into the city - especially around the Áras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

godtabh wrote: »
    There is an outline Construction Traffic Management Plan for those sites. A legal planning document. Its a planning requirement. Not action ed by the developer

Grand job.
    I got a phone call back from SDCC...
    Sending a litter warden up....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,131 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

if anyone is heading out the old N2, it's being resurfaced on the stretch past the coolquay lodge. let's hope it's different contractors to the ones who did the amateur job on the stretch north of there a year or two ago.
    I need to learn to bunnyhop. Got a rear wheel pinch flat from the "ramp" (more like a kerb) between old and new surface there today :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Anyone been out yet? How are the roads looking what with the yellow warning and all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Roads seemed fine on the N7 this morning all the way into Dublin 2...

But I was driving! Forgot i was in the cycling forum. That said, there seemed to be a few cyclists out on the roads tipping along without issue.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Yeah I'm standing here now at the bus stop feeling like a dope. Roads look fine overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Saw some frosted sections on bike lanes. Roads looked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Nearly went down in Phoenix park this morning. Avoid cycling lanes and stay on the road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I saw a few people out around 5:30 along the N11. Roads were fine. Would have cycled today but needed to be in at 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

godtabh wrote: »
    I saw a few people out around 5:30 along the N11. Roads were fine. Would have cycled today but needed to be in at 6

EEESHK.:eek:

God, I feel sorry for you and them, and a whole lot better about myself!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

it was fine from Nutgrove to Bluebell. I just gave myself an extra few inches from the sidewalk. It was no suprise to see that motorist hadn't changed their style of driving even in this weather.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

<mod note> Threads merged again.Please look for this thread re road conditions

My commute was fine, via Ballymun road and Royal Canal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fat bloke wrote: »
    EEESHK.:eek:

God, I feel sorry for you and them, and a whole lot better about myself!!!:o

A 5am ride woulnt be unusual for me but if I needed to be in the office for 6 the start would have been to early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Just aheads up on R113 yet again....
    From Hunterswood to Dodderbrook estate...and possibly further up at the stocking lane side...
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2687328,-6.3378782,16z
    Due to the amount of new housing estates being built in the Ballycullen area the muck on the roads generated from the sites is making it lethal....
    Nearly hit the deck last night yet again...not even going fast..

Rang the council sent from roads to planning and then onto environment with no progress....
    Be very careful....

I cycle it most days, the developer has a road cleaner out a few times a day along the stretch from Ballycullen Green to Dodderbrook. But it seems they don't do it at the end of the day, I find coming down the hill at night particularly sketchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Grassey wrote: »
    I cycle it most days, the developer has a road cleaner out a few times a day along the stretch from Ballycullen Green to Dodderbrook. But it seems they don't do it at the end of the day, I find coming down the hill at night particularly sketchy.

Those cleaners are a joke. I live around there as well and all they seem to do is smear the mud around the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've also on a couple of occasions seen them smash bottles in the cycle lane. they bounce them along in front of the vehicle for a while, but eventually just run over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There is an orange alert for 17 counties this weekend.

No heroics up on the sally gap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

There is an orange alert for 17 counties this weekend.

No heroics up on the sally gap!

Ha, I'm planning on heading over the Wicklow Gap to Roundwood and back tomoro morning. I dont think the sneachta is due til Saturday night. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

terrydel wrote: »
    Ha, I'm planning on heading over the Wicklow Gap to Roundwood and back tomoro morning. I dont think the sneachta is due til Saturday night. :D

Wicklow Gap could drop to about -7 tonight.
    I'd be given it a miss if i were you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Wicklow Gap could drop to about -7 tonight.
    I'd be given it a miss if i were you.

Will reassess in the morning.
    will stay lower if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Studded tyres on, was hoping to hit the Sally Gap tomorrow morning, but have to collect something from Drogheda instead... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wicklow Co Co just sent out a text advising motorists to avoid the Sally Gap because of icy conditions. Probably character limited so didn't suggest Alek should head up! :)

Roundwood to Kilmac Road is well gritted these days*, but can't vouch for the other direction and on up the Gap. I suspect it is treated as far as Glendalough.

*generally - there's a turnaround point near calary church where the Roundwood gritter turns back, and the Bray depot turns coming from the other way, so if it's bad in Bray, they can be late getting up the Long Hill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just remember the people who come to save folk in the mountains are volunteers and don't need the added hassle this time of year of any of us going arseways on some black ice.

That said, I think my studded tyres have also arrived this afternoon!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure if you fell in a few inches of snow, surely that would cushion you?
    STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath and Meath

Significant falls of snow are expected Saturday night and into Sunday. Accumulations of 4 to 8 cm could occur quite widely with greater totals possible. Drifting snow locally at times too with brisk winds. Slippery paths and treacherous roads also due to snow accumulation and ice.
    Issued: Friday 08 December 2017 11:00
    Valid: Saturday 09 December 2017 23:00 to Sunday 10 December 2017 23:00

Anyone who'd consider cycling in the mountains in weather like this deserves to not be rescued in the event of an accident.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Alek wrote: »
    Studded tyres on, was hoping to hit the Sally Gap tomorrow morning, but have to collect something from Drogheda instead... :/

Looks like freezing conditions plus heavy precipitation over the next two days, your local Everest may be looking more like the real thing tomorrow! Going up via Kilmashogue and across via the woods can be good gas in the snow. Don't think I'm in great condition to cycle it at the mo myself, but might walk up to Fairy Castle tomorrow to check out the sneachta with the youngest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weepsie wrote: »
    Just remember the people who come to save folk in the mountains are volunteers and don't need the added hassle this time of year of any of us going arseways on some black ice.

That said, I think my studded tyres have also arrived this afternoon!!

If you have studs on and don't fancy the hills, the canals can be pretty impressive when frozen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

smacl wrote: »
    If you have studs on and don't fancy the hills, the canals can be pretty impressive when frozen too.

On them or beside them? :D

Not sure about roads this morning, but yesterday, the side roads were shining in Stepaside. All black ice. There is no way, I would trust cycling on the roads when some (many) motorists were still driving like it was warm and dry.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Looks like freezing conditions plus heavy precipitation over the next two days, your local Everest may be looking more like the real thing tomorrow! Going up via Kilmashogue and across via the woods can be good gas in the snow. Don't think I'm in great condition to cycle it at the mo myself, but might walk up to Fairy Castle tomorrow to check out the sneachta with the youngest.
    Where is fairy castle?

Advertisement