Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Condition Warning thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Cycled from Shankill to Ballsbridge on the MTB - N11 and Clonkeen Rd etc. Used the cycle paths and footpaths in places. A bit slower than usual but not too bad! Think I'll go home via Anglesea Road and then the cycle path on the N11.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Out this morning as I had to drop something off, slow but more than manageable on a MTB. Probably about 10cm of snow. Eerily quiet, the only noise was one fire brigade going out.

Work is closed but have to head in for an hour regardless, I am actually looking forward to it.

So far, it is no 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

C3PO wrote: »
    Cycled from Shankill to Ballsbridge on the MTB - N11 and Clonkeen Rd etc. Used the cycle paths and footpaths in places. A bit slower than usual but not too bad! Think I'll go home via Anglesea Road and then the cycle path on the N11.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Out this morning as I had to drop something off, slow but more than manageable on a MTB. Probably about 10cm of snow. Eerily quiet, the only noise was one fire brigade going out.

Work is closed but have to head in for an hour regardless, I am actually looking forward to it.

So far, it is no 2010
    You've earned it lads! :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87039483

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Work is still open for me, and buoyed by this I was in the midst of gearing up to give heading in on the road bike a shot, until I got a call from my wife who had made it about 250m from the estate before getting "stuck". The walk out to get her put paid to that idea. No chance. Looks like I'll be making the call and burning through a days leave :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Patches of compacted, freezing slush in the city centre were quite treacherous even for winter tyres @ 30psi.

Watch yourself out there, if you need to cycle, go down on the tyre pressure and ideally follow car tracks in the lane, as they are least likely to have ice underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I was going to start same commute but from Clonkeen road, but we got the nod to work from home

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Yeah working from home. But anyway there's no way I could cycle in that with anything short of a fat bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Went out on the bike this morning. D9 and D11. Swords Road from Whitehall up past Omni pure slush. Lesser roads snow packed ice. Collins Avenue is a mix of the two. Ballymun Road slush, but the edges are super icy.

Cars are having problems stopping but most are taking it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Went out on the bike this morning. D9 and D11. Swords Road from Whitehall up past Omni pure slush. Lesser roads snow packed ice. Collins Avenue is a mix of the two. Ballymun Road slush, but the edges are super icy.

Cars are having problems stopping but most are taking it easy.

I bottled it and got a bus.. saw a van driver break lights on dame street as several pedestrians crossing - Phone to ear too. shocking at best of times but in those conditions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭gmacww

Just to let you know that up here in the Wicklow mountains we got hit hard. It's probably best to stay off the gaps today lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I assumed looking out the window in D5 earlier that the estate would be bad but the main roads would be fine. just headed out in the car to drop my boy into creche and even the main roads are in a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I haven't seen that many people walking with bikes since the annual push the bike up Slieve Mann contest during the W200.

Did people who cycled today cycle home too? Genuinely curious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

conditions around here (dublin 9) were much better this afternoon than this morning. i worked from home though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

LennoxR wrote: »
    Yep, it was grand. Tomorrow is when the bad weather hits I am told.

Yeah looks like the whole place is shutting down tomorrow.

Yep - roads almost completely clear ... cycle lanes less so!
    Surprisingly little vehicular traffic at 4.00pm out our way!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just saw someone cycle past the house - i live on a busy, well gritted main road and it's completely white. doesn't stop some cars from going past at normal speed though (i.e. a little above the speed limit)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I was out in the car at about 4:30 and just as I was thinking that the roads and cycle lanes were surprisingly clear I saw a guy sweeping snow from the footpath outside his house...into the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Felt like I was in a rally car this morning, around 5am. Heading on the M1 towards the city - It was pure ****e. For a main road that was 'gritted', it was dreadful.*

*I also have RWD :D

• Advertisement

my father in law was - as of 4pm today - planning to drive to westport tomorrow, in a RWD mercedes estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

my father in law was - as of 4pm today - planning to drive to westport tomorrow, in a RWD mercedes estate.
    During the snow of 2010, I had 10 concrete blocks in the boot of my beamer. Didn't get stuck anywhere. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Did 30k each way into town from North County Dublin on cyclocross bike today. I felt it would be ok as snow was fresh and still sift. Few hairy moments but grip on muck tyres was surprisingly good. I'm an average enough cx racer and no expert technically but experience on correcting front wheel slip saved me twice today. Very similar to wet thick muck. If you haven't done it before you'd be on your ear before you know it. Tomorrow, today's soft snow will be compacted and hard and frozen solid. I wouldn't risk goung out. On my way home today i was far more concerned getting clipped by a car than loosing control myself. Parks tomorrow and off road with right gear will be grand but roads lethal. Take care all.

yeah, my brother in law had four bags of gravel he used to have to put in the back of his car. now he's driving a boxster, which at least has more weight over the rear axle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I drove today and had to do a bit of running around as I'm the only one in work and family that has a traditional 4x4 designed for this weather. So I was on the road a good bit dropping people and stuff off around the North bay area of Dublin.

Came across four capable cyclists with capable tyres, capable abilities, capable clothing, capable lighting and gear cycling on the roads today, all avoiding dedicated cycling lanes that were unusable. All four (two were together) got blown off the road by motorists and two were punished passed.

The roads were empty, acres of room. In one case the road was clear of sludge but the driver drove chose to drive through the sludge instead of the naturally cleared part of the road to close pass the pair of cyclists (coast road heading from Raheny to Clontarf).

In this case, it's clear the problem isn't with the cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

During the snow of 2010, I had 10 concrete blocks in the boot of my beamer. Didn't get stuck anywhere. :pac:
    I've a 3 series & I found it really, really bad. Saw loads of people online suggesting adding weight to the boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Letting a bit of air out of your tyres (cars and bikes) can afford a bit more grip in these conditions. Only a small bit with the low profile tyres on 3 series BMW ones though!! Some of them are more a veneer than tyre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I did. Was on the hardtail with Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tyres. The conditions at 5pm had changed and the snow was turning icy on the Clontarf cycle path. Had reduced pressure in the tyres and they gripped well. The wind was an absolute pig though!

Met a girl walking her hybrid (on regular tyres) along the cycle path. She told me she had just creamed herself on the main road which was starting to look very glassy. She was ok but very shaken.

Unless you have studs and no skills (like me) or CX tyres (with reduced pressure) and skills to go with them, give it a miss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The Rock road is icy and slippy now, very unsafe come the morning I'd say.

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    The Rock road is icy and slippy now, very unsafe come the morning I'd say.

Came in on the MTB again (Shankill to Ballsbridge) - actually not to bad at all! Left home at 5.45am and hardly saw a car the whole way in. The edges of the road are a bit dodgy with lumps of frozen ice but fine apart from that! My hands have never been so cold though despite winter gloves + liners! Followed bicycle tyre tracks most of the way in ... narrow road tyres ... not sure when brave ends and stupid starts!! :confused:

Advertisement