Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Was that the noise your frame made when it hit the ground?:D

Anyone cycling from tomorrow on should be shot!
    Ha, I forgot that I came off and skated down the road on my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Was that the noise your frame made when it hit the ground?:D....!
    A frame hitting hard compacted snow doesn't really make much noise. Cycled a lot during the snow in 1982, and. as Cram said, it was great craic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

EDIT: Oh just remembered we've Connor Dunne + Aqua Blue due to ride at Le Samyn in Belgium tomorrow wonder what the forecast for that ? Either way not warm, poor bastards.

poor Conor couldn't make it due to being snowed in, hence won't be racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Grand cycle in. Should be leaving work by lunchtime, hopefully before it all kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Vel wrote: »
    Grand cycle in. Should be leaving work by lunchtime, hopefully before it all kicks off.

Some predictions are saying 3pm some are saying 6, I'm hoping to make it home on the bike but it could be a bit like the scene from The Day After Tomorrow with me cycling to make it home before the city freezes over :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Some predictions are saying 3pm some are saying 6, I'm hoping to make it home on the bike but it could be a bit like the scene from The Day After Tomorrow with me cycling to make it home before the city freezes over :D

I'd say hang on til the snow is at it's worst. There's a special kind of pleasure cycling alongside cars that are moving at snail's-pace due to the snow. You won't be going too fast yourself, but that gives you more time to fully soak up all the motorist misery in your midst.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

A frame hitting hard compacted snow doesn't really make much noise. Cycled a lot during the snow in 1982, and. as Cram said, it was great craic. :pac:

I was 11 then and live in my Nanny's beside St Annes park. It was a winter wonderland for kids :)

That said I didn't have a bike then !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Well so far so good. We'll see how we go this afternoon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone going up Macken Street be careful. Some eejits from DCC I think were spraying water all over the footpath across the road from the Clayton Hotel (Southbound) and it was spilling onto the road. It's bound to freeze over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

LennoxR wrote: »
    Well so far so good. We'll see how we go this afternoon.

this morning was absolutely fine coming in from Raheny. some light flurries of snow but nothing off about the surface etc.
    I think the roads / cycle paths will be ok this afternoon too (my main concern is the headwind :( ), it should only be after that snow / sleet freezes tonight that things might get pretty sketchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Weepsie wrote: »
    Anyone going up Macken Street be careful. Some eejits from DCC I think were spraying water all over the footpath across the road from the Clayton Hotel (Southbound) and it was spilling onto the road. It's bound to freeze over.

<pedant> Clayton Hotel is on Cardiff Lane :P </pedant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Weepsie wrote: »

Some lad is after doing the same on Gardiner Street close to the bridge.

Well safely commuted both ways today without issue in Dublin. So far so good. We'll see what it's like tomorrow morning. Wouldn't go up the Sally Gap atm though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we had a heavy hail shower which covered the roads about 15 minutes ago - looked like an inch of snow had fallen in the space of about two minutes. has mainly melted off the roads now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Shout out to the guys in 360cycles. They were cheering on cyclists as they battled a blizzard along the coast. It gave me a lift as the snow/hailstones really stung any exposed skin.

Got home without much ado, a couple of snow flurries on the way but closer to home the cycle paths were covered in hail I think. There's a fair amount of snow out on our road now though, I think it'll be more a question of whether I can get into work tomorrow and not how will I get in!! #snoday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Scuthery and cold out now. Slushy roads.
    Delighted to be on the bus for once :D
    Was out on the bike this morning and it was fine, this eve is a different story.

How people do this every day is beyond me. I'd be home twice on the bike already. It is lovely and warm though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

nee wrote: »
    Scuthery and cold out now. Slushy roads.
    Delighted to be on the bus for once :D
    Was out on the bike this morning and it was fine, this eve is a different story.

How people do this every day is beyond me. I'd be home twice on the bike already. It is lovely and warm though.

The bus is so depressing. :(

The bus is so depressing. :(

It really is! And so slow.
    The only positive is that I'm almost finished my book now #everycloud

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

Scuthery is such a better description for Irish snow as compared to 'flurries'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Surprised by the number of cyclists in town this morning wearing cycling shorts. Temperature was 1 degree with wind chill and the promise of worsening weather for the evening commute .
    Each to their own of course but I wouldn't dream of heading out dressed like that this time of year ❄️

plodder wrote: »
    Scuthery is such a better description for Irish snow as compared to 'flurries'

We use it down home to describe the end of or persistent diarrhea in weanling bulls and bullocks.
    Nicely describes Irish weather also :pac:

Tomorrow might be a bridge too far for commuting by bike if this snow and rain freezes overnight. We'll see. That said I don't know how the hell else I'm going to get in as have never done it without the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

It'll be a bit slower but I'm going to take the MTB in the morning! Couldn't face the likely traffic coming home in the car!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some (ungritted) footpaths out there are already a little treacherous. they're going hell for leather gritting the roads though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,382 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

LennoxR wrote: »
    Tomorrow might be a bridge too far for commuting by bike if this snow and rain freezes overnight. We'll see. That said I don't know how the hell else I'm going to get in as have never done it without the bike.

I was off the bike today for non-weather related reasons, and it's looking bad for Thursday and Friday, so I would love to get one more day on the bike tomorrow.

Will the main roads be safe in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

The other half has threatened the well being of my bike if I threaten my well being by trying to cycle it tomorrow. Up 20 minutes earlier for the bus so. :)

Definitely no bike for me today - heavy snowfall here in Meath (yipee!!!) apparently there are busses running though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can you not work from home ? No bike , bus or car for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ted1 wrote: »
    Can you not work from home ? No bike , bus or car for me.
    Only a very limited number of people can work from home. Not very effective if you work in essential services or any occupation where a night shift has to be relieved.

Advertisement