Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookmaker Not Acting Responsibly?

Options
2»

Comments

Make the complaint op. People get high and mighty on the Internet. You are trying to deal with your addiction and set the limits and they were taken away..
    Yes you are responsible for your own actions but maybe a complaint will change the way they do things in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rosstopher wrote: »
    Ok but why are they able to hold onto every other detail including my debit card but not hang onto details on my limits? I thought acting responsibly would be upholding any limits. These companies I am told are under severe scrutiny to adhere to responsible gambling techniques. Anyway....

Holding details is not the same as enforcing agreements made under old terms and conditions.

Once those terms and conditions changed the only option the company had was to inform you and allow you the opportunity to make new arrangements. They did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

There’s no need for more patronisation, honestly.

And the answer is I don’t know. I hadn’t gambled much in a while and thought I’ll get around to it at some stage as it would take a few minutes.

But my query was nothing to do with my control, I know I lost it. I just wanted to know the bookmakers responsibilities and if I had any grounds for complaint. Instead it’s gambling and responding to email therapy in here.

I'm not patronising anyone. It's a valid question. Have you done it now?

Maybe the bookie could be accused of being underhanded by clearing the limit but they did notify you. This is the sticking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I think you have gotten the wrong end of the stick.
    Gambling is not an "industry" that does "responsible"

The arrangement where you set daily limits is window dressing so that the "industry" can proclaim it is really socially responsible.
    Your part in "the industry" is to hand over as much money as they can extract.
    Their role is to assist you in that to the maximum.

The legislation that you refer to is a proposal by them, so that they can continue on their merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

But my query was nothing to do with my control, I know I lost it. I just wanted to know the bookmakers responsibilities and if I had any grounds for complaint.

Ok, to answer your question. No unfortunately not. With the bookies they can do what they want. Set limits, get rid of limits, etc, etc. Its a cruel enough business but legally you have no grounds for complaint.

Much in the same way that if you incorrectly make a bet by mistake they arent obliged to refund/undo it. Some will do it however if its not in play.

However if they make an obvious error they CAN decide not to pay based on that.

Does any of this feel fair? Not really. But thats life. It's our responsibility to deal with these things when using bookies, or drinking alcohol, or doing anything that can potentially harm us if not done right. And I agree with that philosophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Why did you ignore their email? Why did you choose not to set your limit again? It's all your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Why did you ignore their email? Why did you choose not to set your limit again? It's all your fault.

Another one missing the point. It’s nothing to do with the the ignorance of the email.

If I had saw the email and thought to myself “ wow I have unlimited gambling immediately on this site right now I’m gonna bet loads .. ” the question I have would still be the exact same.

Holding details is not the same as enforcing agreements made under old terms and conditions.

Once those terms and conditions changed the only option the company had was to inform you and allow you the opportunity to make new arrangements. They did this.

Any completely ignore the fact that somebody flagged a gambling problem, set a measure to control it and immediately give them access without that control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

The gambling industry pretends to he interested in promoting responsible gambling but actually makes large amounts of money from problem gamblers.
    This is clearly very bad practice from the company but was likely thought up as a way of getting people to gamble more which is all they are really interested in.

I hope you learn from this OP and make a real attempt at stopping gambling altogether.

Make the complaint op. People get high and mighty on the Internet. You are trying to deal with your addiction and set the limits and they were taken away..
    Yes you are responsible for your own actions but maybe a complaint will change the way they do things in the future.

Cheers mate

I think people are getting the wrong end of the stick here, they probably don’t grasp that the limit WAS me trying to control the issue. And obviously I showed lack of control and don’t feel great about it (not that it means much l, but it wasn’t a whole lot of money I lost, it’s mainly the principle I have an issue with). They dropped my guard for me, I could have been at a weak point and all of a sudden I find out my account is unlimited immediately, having previously flagged an issue. Doesn’t seem right to me. I’m sure they caught many an problemmed gambler with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Any completely ignore the fact that somebody flagged a gambling problem, set a measure to control it and immediately give them access without that control?

They didn't ignore that fact at all. If they cannot unilaterally apply old agreements to new terms and conditions then I repeat, it is you that needed to reapply the limits. All they can do is inform you of this, which they did. The only one who ignored something was you.

And even if they could have unilaterally put the old limits back on your account despite the new T+C's well lets just be honest here, you aren't that important.

When they reset their entire terms and conditions it probably reset agreements for tens of thousands of people, did you think they were going to look at each individual account and make decisions on who was at risk of losing control or not? Of course they aren't.

You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder to be quite honest but this isn't on them, its on you. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Sorry OP but you are the consumer here, you are an adult, and if you want to avail of a service under specific terms you need to let the supplier/producer (in this case, the Bookies) know that. It is up to you to clarify and confirm these terms.
    It is your responsibility to do this.
    It was the suppliers obligation and responsibility to let you know of the change in their terms of service, which they did. It was your decision to ignore this. If they hadn't informed you at all I'd understand why you might be annoyed, but they couldn't have done any more than they did.
    This is your own fault and I don't think you have any grounds to be complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No offense but this obviously wasn’t the right place to come. Lots of self righteous people who don’t know much about responsible gambling legislation.

Mods you can close this thread if you want. No need for anymore pointless answers.

There is no self righteousness that I can see. I think you hoped to come online, the bookies would be the bad guy and you’d get to feel better about your slip up. However this is the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭99 Bortles of Beer

How did you realise your limit had been removed?

I have a daily limit on my account, and it never occurs to me to even try and deposit more than that amount because I know it won't work.

What prompted you to try deposit more than the limit you had become accustomed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm not trying to be patronising. In fact I went through a phase myself where I gambled too much. Not with bookies but still the same thing.

If you need to limit your spending like that then you're obviously losing. No shame in that, practically everyone is. But try to think what you're getting out of it when you're actually consistently losing. Is the odd buzz worth dropping hundreds every month?

In the hard cold light of the day you're not 'having a flutter' (terribly belittling betting ad speak btw, don't fall for that sh1te). You're leaking money. Serious amounts.

Advertisement