Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lewis Hamilton went vegan after watching this documentary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If he's done his research then he is not endangering his health.

However:
    It is not possible to live on a vegan diet and not need supplements.
    Vegan diets are high in air miles and therefore environmentally unsound.
    Vegetarianism is as far as anyone need go.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well, it is 12 minutes since the OP posted and they have not indicated that they are vegan, so the OP is not vegan.
    Probably worn out from lack of good healthy animal protein? Waiting to recover a bit of typing strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It's obvious what you're at OP, but it's pointless, we're coming for you.

tur77.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That documentary was ridiculous. A load of sh*te.

Some people get so easily swayed by these types of documentaries. I don't get it.

And I say this as someone that doesn't eat meat... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

kylith wrote: »

However:

My sister is vegan and refuses to take B12 supplements. She says she's "grand". I've had to get shots recently due to low B12 (not diet related) but she still won't listen to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

chicorytip wrote: »
    Not really. You are more likely to die on a golf course than in a Formula One car these days.
    Not far off. Long gone are the days of regular mayhem, death and injury in F1. I remember watching it with my dad as a kid in the 70's and crashes and fiery death, or in the case of Niki Laura, fiery death? Fcuk you, were a regular occurrence. Oh and overtaking and drivers with panache and character, not macrobiotic eating midgets with a soulectomy, where pit lane comms are often ore interesting than the processions races. Ditto of the days of Group B rallying, where the men were men - or women like Michelle Mouton, a giant of a driver. Ovaries of steel - and cars were dangerous.

Going further back... Tazio Nouvalari. Being healthy. Earlier.
    faba438890b13a34927cf1933e746420--vintage-italy-vintage-racing.jpg

With the money on his arse, you can be sure he's not K, or at least not endangering his revenue stream.
    However:
    Vegan diets are high in air miles and therefore environmentally unsound.
    Vegetarianism is as far as anyone need go.
    This + 1000. Vegetarianism? Cool and a healthy diet. Veganism? Grey area health wise, though clearly better than Chinner dinners washed down with "diet" Coke. Still I have no issue with Veganism itself. I think of it like Electric cars, great, but too many of the drivers of electric cars? God save me from the atomic powered humourless, disapproving and anally retentive fanatics of both camps.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

OP believes every piece of woo out there going by his post history. He reminds me of a guy I met once who tried to convince me plants were better for me cos sure look at the size of bulls and all they eats is grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I haven't seen the documentary but why all the negativity towards him for making this change? Why do people insist on vegetarianism and veganism on being acts of pretentiousness?

In reality;
    (1) meat production is one of the largest contributors to climate change
    (2) slaughtering animals for food is unnecessarily cruel
    (3) one can live a perfectly healthy life as a vegetarian/vegan and often consumption of meat is the direct cause of many health issues inlcuding cancer.
    (4) Meat production is an extremely inefficient use of land, energy and resources such as water in a world with ever increasing population

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

job seeker wrote: »
    Chat with local vegans in your area..

They are easy to identify, sunken eyes, bad skin underweight and will be preaching some hippy crap to anyone who will listen. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The vast majority of intelligent animals are meat eaters. The plant eaters are almost always food for same. A bit "trolly"? Yeah, but not far off the truth. Humans became what we are because of a switch from a near exclusively plant based diet to one that included meat. Otherwise we would have remained an odd short arsed bipedal ape with big flat teeth and a fat belly in Africa.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    I haven't seen the documentary but why all the negativity towards him for making this change? Why do people insist on vegetarianism and veganism on being acts of pretentiousness?
    Because E people have found through experience that they usually are acts of preachy pretentiousness, with a side order of holier than thou ballsology thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Lewis Hamilton has all the charm and charisma of a robot that has fallen into a megablender and doesn't realise it's dead yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

In reality;
    (1) meat production is one of the largest contributors to climate change
    (2) slaughtering animals for food is unnecessarily cruel
    (3) one can live a perfectly healthy life as a vegetarian/vegan and often consumption of meat is the direct cause of many health issues inlcuding cancer.
    (4) Meat production is an extremely inefficient use of land, energy and resources such as water in a world with ever increasing population

Probably because of the amount of preachy vegans who think that everyone else is going to have the same life changing epiphany they had after watching some bollocks YouTube documentary. I'm not saying you're coming across that way, that's just what tends to annoy a lot of people about vegans.

1) Fair point, and we do eat too much meat. What happens if we all just stop though? What do we do with all the animals? Would sustainable farmibg methods not be viable?

2) Nature is unnecessarily cruel. Our bodies get more from a mixed and balanced diet. As people mentioned already, protein availability from plant sources is a problem.

3) One certainly can as a vegetarian, but I've yet to see compelling evidence that one can as a vegan. YouTube documentaries and anecdotes are not compelling evidence. Consumption of too much meat is linked to cancer, sure, but then consumption of too much of a lot of things can be bad for you. The key is balance.

4) Meat is also a great source of nutrition for the same growing population though. Again, sustainable farming and balanced diets seem to me to be a more reasonable solution than going all out vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I haven't seen the documentary but why all the negativity towards him for making this change?

Because it's boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't overly care what Lewis Hamilton eats and his vegan or non vegan diet is probably very healthy. However he really isn't the sharpest tool in the box. I found it very amusing when he started explaining how is vegan diet much better for the environment and how that influenced his decision. The same man is constantly travelling around in a private jet.

And yes I am a bitter Ferrari fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

stimpson wrote: »
    I gave up veganism after watching this documentary:

When I grow up I wanna go to Bovine University.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A vegan? Was that before or after he was eating a pussycat doll every night?

Probably because of the amount of preachy vegans who think that everyone else is going to have the same life changing epiphany they had after watching some bollocks YouTube documentary. I'm not saying you're coming across that way, that's just what tends to annoy a lot of people about vegans.
    Again, I haven't watched this particular documentary, and it could well be complete bollocks, but I think it would be unfair to dismiss any documentary on the subject as such without fair analysis of the facts (or fiction) they present.
    1) Fair point, and we do eat too much meat. What happens if we all just stop though? What do we do with all the animals? Would sustainable farmibg methods not be viable?

Well clearly the whole world wouldn't stop eating meat at once so I don't think there would be an issue there with loads of farmers left with a bunch of unusable livestock on their hands. In such a world, I guess farmers would switch to crop farming in the long run.
    2) Nature is unnecessarily cruel. Our bodies get more from a mixed and balanced diet. As people mentioned already, protein availability from plant sources is a problem.

I take your point there, nature is cruel and the world is littered with carnivore species. It's worth considering that as the dominant species on the planet and no longer as hunter gatherers, we should have far less dependency on meat as we once did, where food sources may have been more scarce.

It's certainly not impossible to replace the protein requirements, not so much as some would have you believe.
    3) One certainly can as a vegetarian, but I've yet to see compelling evidence that one can as a vegan. YouTube documentaries and anecdotes are not compelling evidence. Consumption of too much meat is linked to cancer, sure, but then consumption of too much of a lot of things can be bad for you. The key is balance.

I'm not a vegan but I don't see why we couldn't go without dairy and eggs. Seems to me these are very easily replaced.
    4) Meat is also a great source of nutrition for the same growing population though. Again, sustainable farming and balanced diets seem to me to be a more reasonable solution than going all out vegan.

I guess reasonable depends on your worldview. I'm for a future where sea stocks are not depleted to the point of many species' extinction and where climate change hasn't gone past the point of no return due to our overconsumption. I don't know exactly what is required to make this happen but I suspect based on research that I've read that the changes people would have to make to their lifestyles are far more drastic than the majority would be comfortable with.

Do you think people would step up to the challenge or act selfishly when given the choice? In this, and in most things, people tend to act selfishly where they can get away with it and it only helps their cause if the popular opinion is that they are doing nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Well clearly the whole world wouldn't stop eating meat at once so I don't think there would be an issue there with loads of farmers left with a bunch of unusable livestock on their hands. In such a world, I guess farmers would switch to crop farming in the long run.
    Not all land is suitable for growing crops, especially as is seen in this country, upland, rocky terrain.
    I'm not a vegan but I don't see why we couldn't go without dairy and eggs. Seems to me these are very easily replaced.

I'd think that dairy and eggs would be seen as better than eating meat. After all neither causes any harm to the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Again, I haven't watched this particular documentary, and it could well be complete bollocks, but I think it would be unfair to dismiss any documentary on the subject as such without fair analysis of the facts (or fiction) they present.

Documentaries aren't a great primary source for stuff like this, IMO. You need years of large scale research to really understand the effects of various diets, and I highly doubt findings as sognificant as this documentary is claiming would go under the radar.

Fair point, but even long term, how do you convince those farmers to just give up their livelihood and switch to something else? I don't disagree at all that our current farming methods are unsustainable, I just don't see a complete u-turn to veganism as the solution.

I take your point there, nature is cruel and the world is littered with carnivore species. It's worth considering that as the dominant species on the planet and no longer as hunter gatherers, we should have far less dependency on meat as we once did, where food sources may have been more scarce.

We definitely should have less dependency on meat, and it's something we should be working towards, no argument there from me.
    It's certainly not impossible to replace the protein requirements, not so much as some would have you believe.

What are the costs of replacing them? Is it really a viable solution? I'm genuinely not sure on this point.

What do we replace them with? Do the replacements have the same benefits? Personally I'd be quote happy to replace them in my diet but I don't see any options to that are currently widely available.

I guess reasonable depends on your worldview. I'm for a future where sea stocks are not depleted to the point of many species' extinction and where climate change hasn't gone past the point of no return due to our overconsumption. I don't know exactly what is required to make this happen but I suspect based on research that I've read that the changes people would have to make to their lifestyles are far more drastic than the majority would be comfortable with.

I'd like to see that future as well, I'm just not convinced veganism is going to play as big of a part in any potential solution as some might claim. Except for the fish thing, I suppose not eating fish would help with fish stocks to be fair.
    Do you think people would step up to the challenge or act selfishly when given the choice? In this, and in most things, people tend to act selfishly where they can get away with it and it only helps their cause if the popular opinion is that they are doing nothing wrong.

Do you step up to the challenge? Do you avoid the use of electricity? Are you posting this from a sustainably produced device? Drive a car? It's not easy to live in the modern world and not do something that harms the earth. I'm not trying to be a smart ass either, it's a genuine problem and I don't know what we're going to do about it, this is getting off topic and I'm veering into rambling to myself now though.

• Advertisement

Not all land is suitable for growing crops, especially as is seen in this country, upland, rocky terrain.
    Livestock covers 45% of global land. I'm sure some of it would be suitable for crop production.

https://cgspace.cgiar.org/bitstream/handle/10568/10601/IssueBrief3.pdf

In fact... we wouldn't even need to assign any of this land to crop production. We already grow enough food to feed everyone on earth, extremely comfortably. The problem is that most of this food goes to feeding livestock.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2012/05/08/we-already-grow-enough-food-10-billion-people-and-still-cant-end-hunger

I'd think that dairy and eggs would be seen as better than eating meat. After all neither causes any harm to the animal.

I'd agree with that to an extent, but my question was as to why it is not actually possible to be a healthy vegan if one can be a healthy vegetarian.

Documentaries aren't a great primary source for stuff like this, IMO. You need years of large scale research to really understand the effects of various diets, and I highly doubt findings as sognificant as this documentary is claiming would go under the radar.

That's true but the average Joe doesn't go reading many research papers and documentaries are a bit more accessible. No problem there if they can back up their claims.
    Fair point, but even long term, how do you convince those farmers to just give up their livelihood and switch to something else? I don't disagree at all that our current farming methods are unsustainable, I just don't see a complete u-turn to veganism as the solution.

Yeah I'd say that's a big problem alright. This might require long term planning from the government to facilitate any change comfortably, something I wouldn't hold my breath for.

What are the costs of replacing them? Is it really a viable solution? I'm genuinely not sure on this point.

To the consumer? Much cheaper I'd imagine. For example, a tin of kidney beans or chickpeas would have slightly less protein than a breast of chicken at a fraction of the cost.
    What do we replace them with? Do the replacements have the same benefits? Personally I'd be quote happy to replace them in my diet but I don't see any options to that are currently widely available.

Not very easy in this country especially eating out but I think people tend to go for things like soya milk, almond butter, chia seeds etc...

Do you step up to the challenge? Do you avoid the use of electricity? Are you posting this from a sustainably produced device? Drive a car? It's not easy to live in the modern world and not do something that harms the earth. I'm not trying to be a smart ass either, it's a genuine problem and I don't know what we're going to do about it, this is getting off topic and I'm veering into rambling to myself now though.

Absolutely, it's not easy. For all the changes I've made in my life, I'm still a culprit in many ways. I can tell you for certain that if everyone gave up the car and went vegan tomorrow, our world wouldn't be in crisis. That is, of course, an insane suggestion, so what do we do?

Would people think it mad for our government to introduce a meat tax? What about massively increasing motor tax when electric vehicles become more accessible? (Provided adequate investment in green energy plants)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ugh this "documentary" has been debunked thoroughly, it is absolutely 100% garbage science based in a vegan fantasy land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

chicorytip wrote: »
    Not really. You are more likely to die on a golf course than in a Formula One car these days.

Of course you are. Millions play golf. A handful of people drive F1 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

He may have gone Vegan, but he still puts meat in his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

jacksie66 wrote: »

Also that thread name is pure click bait.

I thought it was satire. "You won't believe what happened next!!"

To the consumer? Much cheaper I'd imagine. For example, a tin of kidney beans or chickpeas would have slightly less protein than a breast of chicken at a fraction of the cost.
    Chickpeas or chicken. I know which I'd prefer.

Not very easy in this country especially eating out but I think people tend to go for things like soya milk, almond butter, chia seeds etc...
    I'd be very wary of adding soy to any Westerners diet. It's a novel protein for such populations. Asian folks have been consuming it for over two thousand years so are likely more compatible with it(a huge chunk of the local genetic changes in humans over the last 20,000 years have been dietary adaptations). The health benefits are very vague if you read the studies on it, as are the health risks, but until the jury is in and certainly as a man I'd not touch the stuff with a bargepole.
    Would people think it mad for our government to introduce a meat tax?
    I'd prefer the government to stay away from my plate TBH.
    What about massively increasing motor tax when electric vehicles become more accessible? (Provided adequate investment in green energy plants)
    Well the green energy part is the problem. As it is, something like one of the more powerful Tesla's produce more CO2 than a few smaller engined petrol cars. That's before we get to the manufacture of any car. The manufacture of electric cars is just as bad a pollution source as a petrol car, arguably worse because the various elements of the batteries are "dirty" processes and come from all over the world by "dirty" transport.

The elephant in the room is our consumer culture. The economies of First world societies are based on it and until we tackle that we're just paying lip service or shoving the icky stuff down the line or away from our back yard. If anything electric cars will increase the churn of manufacture. Petrol cars have changed little enough down the years, so a ten year old car is not that much different to a brand new car, but the speed of change and upgrades in electric cars will naturally have more people wanting the latest upgrade, which will increase the churn. How many mobile phone models have you owned? What happened to your "old" phones? I've said it elsewhere and as an exaggeration of this issue, but a valid one IMHO: If your great grandparents bought a Ford Model A back in the 30's and the family kept it going down to today, it would be far more "green" than buying a Nissan Leaf or whatever every three or four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I personally think if you want to be vegan then be vegan but don't start this ****e of constantly trying to force it upon everyone else. People need to make the choice for themselves. If it's okay in nature for a polar bear to eat a baby seal and a lion to eat a zebra then it's okay of me to eat a cow. If we stopped eating meat what do we do with the millions of cows,pigs, sheep? Keep them as pets? What about all the farmers that make a living from dairy,pigs,sheep,chickens etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

When Hamilton is not tearing around a track in a race car, he is tearing around the world in a private jet. If he cares about the environment then he is at worst a hypocrit, at best a bit dim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

That's true but the average Joe doesn't go reading many research papers and documentaries are a bit more accessible. No problem there if they can back up their claims.

Many people accept documentaries like gospel. A film-maker can spin almost any tale or narrative he/she pleases,

Advertisement