Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all take Blindboy seriously now...

• 13-11-2017 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

People do know this is a character right? And not an actual person?

Does it strike anyone else as strange that a made-up persona with a fake voice, parody accent and a fking plastic bag on his head is treated like a normal, regular person in debates and current affairs TV shows? And given the same credibility and respect as an actual real person?

Imagine Fr. Dougal Mcguire, Dustin the Turkey and Fortycoats appearing our incisive current affairs shows discussing mental health with Alan Partridge adjudicating.

Or discussing the 8th amendment and feminism with Mrs Brown, The Bottler and Podge and Rodge? It would be treated like a joke (obviously), but when the prank phone call making, glue-huffing, spastic hawk-toting Blindboy talks serious we all suddenly have to sit up take it seriously.

If I was asked to debate on the same show as a parody character I'd be more than a little pissed off.

By all means share your story on mental health or offer an opinion on our education system. But for fk sake would you give us and the other people on the show the respect of doing it yourself, in a real voice? Without a fking bag on your head?

Alternatively if you prefer holding on to the bag, you could try going back to... you know... being funny. And less preachy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Who is he a parody of anyway?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sky King wrote: »
    Imagine Fr. Dougal Mcguire, Dustin the Turkey and Fortycoats appearing our incisive current affairs shows...

They'd probably be more articulate than your average TD or county councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

They were funnier when they left out the preachy bull****e and actually did comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I'd be more concerned that people listen to him more because he has a plastic bag on his head.

Whether what he's saying his nonsense or not, it's worrying that he needs the character to get his points heard.

We only seem to give voice to extreme views and personalities nowadays.

Meanwhile, in the real world, us normal run of the mill folk are happily enough getting on with things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Does it strike anyone else as strange that a made-up persona with a fake voice, parody accent and a fking plastic bag on his head is treated like a normal, regular person in debates and current affairs TV shows? And given the same credibility and respect as an actual real person?

Imagine Fr. Dougal Mcguire, Dustin the Turkey and Fortycoats appearing our incisive current affairs shows discussing mental health with Alan Partridge adjudicating.

Or discussing the 8th amendment and feminism with Mrs Brown, The Bottler and Podge and Rodge? It would be treated like a joke (obviously), but when the prank phone call making, glue-huffing, spastic hawk-toting Blindboy talks serious we all suddenly have to sit up take it seriously.

If I was asked to debate on the same show as a parody character I'd be more than a little pissed off.

By all means share your story on mental health or offer an opinion on our education system. But for fk sake would you give us and the other people on the show the respect of doing it yourself, in a real voice? Without a fking bag on your head?

Alternatively if you prefer holding on to the bag, you could try going back to... you know... being funny. And less preachy.

What do you expect in an infantile society? The fact that this clown is taken seriously shows what a state we're in. Had he anything interesting to say I might give him a chance, but from what I've heard he's just another banal, politically correct bore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Ush1 wrote: »
    They were funnier when they left out the preachy bull****e and actually did comedy.

They were funnier when they did comedy over serious stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

mathie wrote: »
    They were funnier when they did comedy over serious stuff?

What serious stuff? He wears a bag on his head and lectures everyone about the latest trendy issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

He is a good definition of a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Ush1 wrote: »

When did they ever do comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,876 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'd be more concerned that people listen to him more because he has a plastic bag on his head.

Whether what he's saying his nonsense or not, it's worrying that he needs the character to get his points heard

1zaji6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

When did they ever do comedy

Ah that Willie o'Dea song was pretty funny. Problem for them was that there's a certain geographic boundary to how far jokes about Limerick and drugs go (things didn't work out on C4 for example) so no international breakthrough, and people here got pretty bored of the hole schtick. Yeah, we get it you singing about yokes and robbing stuff... *snore* So that led to the pivot to where they are now i.e. right-on, PC stuff. It's given them a huge new audience and devoted following.

I had a look at their Twitter during the last "controversy" about them. Wow. Apparently anyone who expresses the sentiment that they're not funny anymore is a right wing troll. Says them anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Have gone off the Rubberbandits in a big way in the last couple of years. I find them to be very hypocritical. Blindboy proposes to be a champion of women's rights/repeal campaign yet they parade women in their underwear and treat women as sex objects in most of their videos/advertising.

They also claim to champion Limerick yet put on these ridiculous accents which neither of them sounds like IRL and think they play up to a very negative, stereotype of what a Limerick person is like.

Also not a fan of their approach to mental health. They very much frame it in a medical way and promote Pieta House a lot and I am very dubious of the approach Pieta House takes to mental health supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

panda100 wrote: »

Also not a fan of their approach to mental health. They very much frame it in a medical way and promote Pieta House a lot and I am very dubious of the approach Pieta House takes to mental health supports.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Odhinn

In a world where Brendan O'Connor has his own TV show, no, not in the slightest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Who is he a parody of anyway?

Mr Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah but he's on message so it dosnt matter that he has a bag on his head.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You should try to actually listen to why he has the bag on his head.
    It's essentially so he can have a life outside of the celebrity circus.

His new podcast is really good as well.

I like him and I like what he has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

By all accounts they were not the Liberal lads they like make out from their School days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I doubt any such person would be the first to bring a message, or political opinion, to the public while "in character"?

I do not live in Ireland so I know of this persons existence pretty much only from being mentioned on boards.ie and I know the content of what he says almost not at all. So I can not comment on that.

But we live in a world where people, or the media, throw around credentials rather than their evidence.......... in a "this phd said.........." as if their merely being a phd means we automatically have to lend their uttering credence.

So over time I have trained myself to listen to WHAT a person says. Not who they are, or are pretending to be, while saying it.

Be they a multi-phd genius..... a homeless man selling pencils from a cup......... or some relative nobody with a bag on his head.......... it is the content of the message, not the person, that interests me.

There was a great episode of Community where one of the characters that is rarely listened to, Britta, accidentally puts mustard on her face. She realises then that with the mustard on, everyone started to pay attention to her and listen to her. And they'd only listen when she had it on.

Pretty much the same is happening here.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »

:D It's Ireland ffs, I doubt it'd be too hard to work out who they actually are. The "celebrity circus" presumably being... having the odd story in the Indo or RTE Guide about you? How's that different to now?

Boom_Bap wrote: »

His new podcast is really good as well.

I like him and I like what he has to say.

I thought he has has had a bag on his head since rubber bandits started? How did he know they’d be successful and that he’d have to put a bag on his head?

Unless he didn’t start off that way? I dunno much about em.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You do know that he's not a fictional character in a TV program right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

it is the content of the message, not the person, that interests me.

My gripe is not actually what he says so much as the the fact that a ridiculous fictional comedy character with a fake accent is taking part in a serious debate, and this is accepted as normal by everyone. And my point is, if you replaced everyone else on the panel with other characters from Irish TV like Bosco and Socky the Sock monster would they accept this also? Can you imagine how ridiculous a debate about abortion would be with these guests? So why do we have to make an exception for Blindboy?

Also, the character may make occasional reasonable arguments, but he also says a load of crazy sh!t too (presumably for 'comic' effect though a lot of this is lost on me as well). Is it always easy to draw the distinction between when he is saying something deadly serious or just completely taking the piss? It might be easy for you or me but it may not be for the feeble minded fans he has that he impresses with the big words.

Let's all put on our serious clothes lads... and start practicing those serious faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Was it not our own Martin Luther who said he wanted to live "... in a nation where they will not be judged by the bag on their head, but by the content of their character"?

lawred2 wrote: »
    You do know that he's not a fictional character in a TV program right?

He's more akin to Shirley Temple Bar in the presenting Telly Bingo days, being asked to come onto Prime Time and discuss the budget.

beans wrote: »
    Was it not our own Martin Luther who said he wanted to live "... in a nation where they will not be judged by the bag on their head, but by the content of their character"?

Sure the lads in our own parliament were debating whether to introduce a dress code. Nothing says valid point better than a Charvet shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

My gripe is not actually what he says so much as the the fact that a ridiculous fictional comedy character with a fake accent is taking part in a serious debate

Again I just see past that. Perhaps I have myself TOO well trained. But I just see the message, not the person, when anyone on tele speaks. Be it your man dressed up as Mrs Merton, someone with a bag on their head, whatever persona Bono is putting on today, or so forth.

I have no real knowledge of the guy bothering you, or his intention, but it sounds from what little I have heard like he is making a caricature of the fact that pretty much EVERYONE sitting on tele pedaling their message is a fictional persona they have put on for the camera. Rather than hide that like they do, perhaps his intention is to go to the OPPOSITE extreme and parade it.

I honestly do not care or even see it. I just listen to what a person is there to say. They could say it while doing the can-can nude and I would not care or, perhaps, notice.
    Is it always easy to draw the distinction between when he is saying something deadly serious or just completely taking the piss?

Again I do not think I recall every having heard the guy speak. I have a vague recollection I watched something from a boards.ie thread once but I can not even remember what the topic of it was now, let alone the content. Perhaps I will search my post history later to find it.

But, in a world where people sit glassy eyed before the flashing box in the corner..... perhaps it is not a BAD thing that they are being asked to stop, think, process, and distinguish the joke from the serious message. Get the cogs whirling rather than idling along maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

c_man wrote: »
    :D It's Ireland ffs, I doubt it'd be too hard to work out who they actually are. The "celebrity circus" presumably being... having the odd story in the Indo or RTE Guide about you? How's that different to now?
    I thought he has has had a bag on his head since rubber bandits started? How did he know they’d be successful and that he’d have to put a bag on his head?

Unless he didn’t start off that way? I dunno much about em.

What's the problem with wanting to stay anonymous before or after he gets on/off stage?

Advertisement