Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I saw in a youtube video by from IDB that there is a news app for the apple watch (similar to the news widget for iphone), but I can't seem to find any information on it...... does anyone have the news app on their watch....?

Video Link re news app

At approximately 9:40 mins mentions news app

Also has anyone any good watch-compatible app recommendations? :D

Unfortunately news App isn't available in Ireland. AFAIK UK has it.

It's an Apple App.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So tempted to order the nike Watch now. Damn you sales and offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Ok I have a question.....
    Would you all risk the new Series 3 in a sauna/steam room ??.... was in one tonight and decided not to wear it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Ok I have a question.....
    Would you all risk the new Series 3 in a sauna/steam room ??.... was in one tonight and decided not to wear it

It’s not that I would risk it I’d personally find wearing a Watch in that type of environment very uncomfortable don’t see why you couldn’t wear it the S3 is water resistant 50m.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Just dont want to risk it

• Advertisement

Guys, is there still no cellular support for the watch here?

kceire wrote: »
    Guys, is there still no cellular support for the watch here?

No nothing for here yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Well I think the show is finally over for the series 0. I first got the watch for Notifications Siri and fitness. However the Nike+ Running app just crashes all the time and most functions on the watch move at a snail's pace. Disappointing.

With the lack of cellular for series 3 there is no point in splurging for it yet.

I was just about to buy the bike S3 this morning. I actually clicked the buy now button but the site wouldn’t accept my details for some reason. The offer of €359 lured me in as I was gona wait till after Xmas.

But I’m coming around to thinking the same now, that I should wait for the cellular version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I was just about to buy the bike S3 this morning. I actually clicked the buy now button but the site wouldn’t accept my details for some reason. The offer of €359 lured me in as I was gona wait till after Xmas.

But I’m coming around to thinking the same now, that I should wait for the cellular version.

You’ll be waiting. Networks here are unlikely to support it any time at all soon. And even when they do, if ever, it’s likely to be a drip feed. E.g. Vodafone only at first (as they tend to be). Not with Vodafone? Well then you’ve got 2 choices. Switch to VF or wait even longer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My own sources in the industry are saying years unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes, as I have said in this thread previously, the actual demand for the functionality of a cellular Apple Watch in Ireland is likely to measured in the hundreds. Add in the additional monthly cost, the requirement to buy a new Apple Watch when the relatively few people who were interested enough in an Apple Watch have got one already and uptake will be very slow.

There is a case of 'build it and they might, maybe, if we're lucky, come' but what network is specifically going to invest in an infrastructure on that basis? More likely to be added as part of the 5G rollout with the marginal cost of including the functionality then.

Might just bite the bullet then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Might just bite the bullet then...

I’ve had it a month now and at no stage have I felt the cellular version was something I need.

What I do need is the ability to save some Spotify playlists on it so I won’t have to take my phone with me for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I’ve had it a month now and at no stage have I felt the cellular version was something I need.

What I do need is the ability to save some Spotify playlists on it so I won’t have to take my phone with me for a run.

Agreed .... And I certainly wouldn't pay €5/€10 extra a month for the privilege.

Whilst not jogging - You can still take a phone-call if the phone is in range - which is useful feature for a quick phone call - but anything longer the phone is obviously better for clarity.

Cloudio9 wrote: »

It’s not something I’m actively looking for either, but I’d hate to buy now and then next month the cellular version is released and the networks supported it ya know.

My mate is a network engineer with Eir and he said the same thing. He said it might drip feed in with Vodafone first and even that is a year away at least.

It’s not something I’m actively looking for either, but I’d hate to buy now and then next month the cellular version is released and the networks supported it ya know.

I’m willing to bet a small fortune that won’t happen. It’s going to be quite some time before any operator can accommodate cellular.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Picked up the Apple sports loop..ordered Thursday from Apple, arrived from the UK via DHL Friday around 3pm..
    Its very nice and extremely comfortable..well worth the money imo...miles better than the sports band..in fact it should be the default strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

Hi guys,

sister is in Dubai at the moment and is asking is it worthwhile picking up a 3 series watch there as it seems to be cheaper than here and she's looking for one for a xmas present.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

capefear wrote: »
    Hi guys,

sister is in Dubai at the moment and is asking is it worthwhile picking up a 3 series watch there as it seems to be cheaper than here and she's looking for one for a xmas present.

I was there last week. Series 3 42mm worked out about €320. Bought mine in Ireland 3 weeks ago for €409. Worth it for sure if you had them in your purchase sights.

• Advertisement

capefear wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Nike+ Apple Watch S3 is €359 for the 42mm and €329 for the 38mm on Nike store at the moment.

Ordered Nike plus 42mm this evening.
    €359 on the Nike Store.
    Went for the pure platinum version (silver and white to you and me).

Ordered Nike plus 42mm this evening.
    €359 on the Nike Store.
    Went for the pure platinum version (silver and white to you and me).

Ditto I had the volt green Nike S2, I really like this one although I haven’t used it yet until the X arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Is the Nike the exact same as the regular Apple Watch with a few of their own features thrown in?

I may consider ordering the Nike version direct from them at the cheaper price if so. ive no need for the fitness aspects of it. Would be buying purely on price.

adox wrote: »
    Is the Nike the exact same as the regular Apple Watch with a few of their own features thrown in?

I may consider ordering the Nike version direct from them at the cheaper price if so. ive no need for the fitness aspects of it. Would be buying purely on price.

Exactly the same internals. Other than the faces, straps and a small nike logo on the back of the watch itself.
    It also has direct widget or something to the Nike Run app that the other watches cannot get.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Can anyone tell me what us folks who have a Series 2 Watch got out of yesterdays update to Watch OS 4.1?
    I cant seem to find the radio app :(

Loving the S3 the platinum Nike is really nice and I love it haven’t really tested out the new features yet as I’m playing with X.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Hi all. I'm think of picking one of these(series 3) up for the misses for Xmas along with an Ipad.
    She only has a iphone 7 since last year so i cannot really justify getting the X as from all that i've seen its not much of an upgrade and it been generation 1 of the new model, it seems to have its small issues.

Anyway looking at this thread it seems that most of yous are men, is it really only a man's watch.
    I'm sure she'd like it as it's a new gadget but i'd also like it to look nice on her wrist.
    Looking at this version.https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/apple-watch-series-3-gps-42mm-gold-aluminium-case-with-pink-sand-sport-band/1600188368.prd

From what i am reading, this is the non cellular version but it can still pick up calls when connected to Wifi and personal hotspot on her phone?

• Administrators Posts: 53,570 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

All the models of Apple Watch can pick up / make calls once their paired with your iPhone.

The cellular version is more for using data without having to have your phone in range, e.g. if you're out for a run and want to stream music and not carry your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Hi all. I'm think of picking one of these(series 3) up for the misses for Xmas along with an Ipad.
    She only has a iphone 7 since last year so i cannot really justify getting the X as from all that i've seen its not much of an upgrade and it been generation 1 of the new model, it seems to have its small issues.

Anyway looking at this thread it seems that most of yous are men, is it really only a man's watch.
    I'm sure she'd like it as it's a new gadget but i'd also like it to look nice on her wrist.
    Looking at this version.https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/apple-watch-series-3-gps-42mm-gold-aluminium-case-with-pink-sand-sport-band/1600188368.prd

From what i am reading, this is the non cellular version but it can still pick up calls when connected to Wifi and personal hotspot on her phone?

I’m female and have mine for about a month now. I got the gold (pink sand strap) version which you have linked above, but in the 38mm size. I tried on both, and whilist the bigger screen seemed like a great option, the strap was much too big and the 38mm fitted my wrist better.

I love the watch - can’t be without it. I think it was worth the purchase.

Advertisement