Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Has anyone here been using it for running, linking to Strava, etc? If so, how have you found the Heart Rate accuracy and how is it for some interval training during your runs?

Dcrainmaker has been holding off on a full review until Apple have replied to some of his queries. I am hoping this could be the watch to double as my everyday watch and training watch but I’m a bit worried about its accuracy and possible limitations for running, some first hand experience from anyone on here would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

tony1980 wrote: »
    Has anyone here been using it for running, linking to Strava, etc? If so, how have you found the Heart Rate accuracy and how is it for some interval training during your runs?

Dcrainmaker has been holding off on a full review until Apple have replied to some of his queries. I am hoping this could be the watch to double as my everyday watch and training watch but I’m a bit worried about its accuracy and possible limitations for running, some first hand experience from anyone on here would be great.

Found the HRM on the watch very close to my Garmin HRM, only a beat or two in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I've found it good when running. But when I used it playing 5 aside it's hit and miss. Just due to the fact of the sport I'm doing and arms flaying around the place.

If your looking for accurate HRM use a strap or have the band higher up on your wrist and tighter than you would normally wear it.

I've personally found that his makes it more accurate.

It's a great bit of kit, I had the Fenix 3, but I have to say I prefer this as it covers what I was using the Fenix for. The Fenix is good for someone looking for every type of stat possible when it comes to running and exercise!

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

jamesd wrote: »
    Found the HRM on the watch very close to my Garmin HRM, only a beat or two in the difference.

What Garmin are you using and are you comparing to the wrist based measurement on the Garmin or the chest strap measurement?

How does it compare overall to Garmin for all the different stats that Garmin would have like Vo2 max, Lactate threshold etc.

How long would the battery last on the apple watch while running and using the GPS, heart rate etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

digiman wrote: »

How does it compare overall to Garmin for all the different stats that Garmin would have like Vo2 max, Lactate threshold etc.

It doesn't compare to Garmin simple as that, Garmin wins this all day.

How long would the battery last on the apple watch while running and using the GPS, heart rate etc?

I did a 10K with Heart rate monitor. music streaming from watch to Bluetooth headphones and running Strava in the background, it used about 23% approx.

Hope this helps

BobbyT28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,456 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is there anyway to put podcasts on the series 3 watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Is there anyway to put podcasts on the series 3 watch?

Seems like you have to use a specific app for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Watch ordered by other half for me for Christmas from Nike. I have had the original watch from Day 1 & its taken some wear and tear. I will be more careful with the new addition on Crimbo Day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Watch ordered by other half for me for Christmas from Nike. I have had the original watch from Day 1 & its taken some wear and tear. I will be more careful with the new addition on Crimbo Day.

I've had mine since day one. Its showing its age now. Went to a Garmin Fenix 3 yesterday

Gave my Series 0 to a relative when I got my 3. It's still trucking on, but she's not using it for anything more than checking the time, sending the occasional text, and keeping an eye on her activity. It's slow to open even native apps, but otherwise is working well.

I will say that a reset/re-pair made a huge difference to the battery life under wOS4. When I handed it over first, she was very disappointed that she was having to remove and re-charge it during the day. I reset and re-paired again, and she's said she now has 30%+ at the end of a full day's wear.

Something to consider doing more than once for anyone using an older model and having trouble with battery life since the update to 4!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We ordered today, super excited although I'm not allowed to open it until Christmas day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭PaulT21

See the link attached
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/05/watchos-4-2-apple-pay-cash-apple-watch/

Dont think that Apple Pay Cash will be coming to us yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Gave my Series 0 to a relative when I got my 3. It's still trucking on, but she's not using it for anything more than checking the time, sending the occasional text, and keeping an eye on her activity. It's slow to open even native apps, but otherwise is working well.

I will say that a reset/re-pair made a huge difference to the battery life under wOS4. When I handed it over first, she was very disappointed that she was having to remove and re-charge it during the day. I reset and re-paired again, and she's said she now has 30%+ at the end of a full day's wear.

Something to consider doing more than once for anyone using an older model and having trouble with battery life since the update to 4!

When you say ‘reset’ it, do you mean just resetting all data and restoring from backup? Or setting up as new?

Might try this with my S0 to give it more life.

We ordered today, super excited although I'm not allowed to open it until Christmas day :(

They arrived less than 24hours later. Waiting is haaard when they are in the house!! Is it christmas day yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They arrived less than 24hours later. Waiting is haaard when they are in the house!! Is it christmas day yet??

sure sneak it out :)
    she'll never know :D

dave oc wrote: »
    When you say ‘reset’ it, do you mean just resetting all data and restoring from backup? Or setting up as new?

Might try this with my S0 to give it more life.

I set up as new before I gave it away, but that seemed to make the battery life nightmarish! I think all I did after that was unpaired and repaired, and turned off a lot of the refresh for all background apps bar weather, mail, text, activity.

Blazer wrote: »
    sure sneak it out :)
    she'll never know :D

Funnily enough I’m the she :) he’s had to hide it. And he’s actually the computer scientist, I’m the teacher!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Funnily enough I’m the she :) he’s had to hide it. And he’s actually the computer scientist, I’m the teacher!

:P I love it!

And you will love the Apple watch - have mine since October and wouldn't be without it now :)

even better..you can tell him if you open his present to you now you'll give him a very nice present xmas day :cool:

LOL :) I've had a garmin vivosmart HR for nearly two years now and I completely adore the smart capabilities so I'm super excited to make the leap. I didn't want to do it on an early version, nor spend that much money at first because I wasn't someone who ever wore a watch before. Now I'm completely lost without my garmin and can't wait for the next step.
    Made all the more special because we've had a tough six months financially and things have finally come right, just in time for Christmas and we got to splurge together. Christmas day will be awesome, an almost three year old who "gets it" this year and our joint fun with apple watches for each of us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I’m sure it’s probably been mentioned before but has anyone bought the watch from Apple Uk using Parcel Motel or AddressPal? I have family from the UK visiting at Christmas but I would order using addresspal if that will work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

tony1980 wrote: »
    I’m sure it’s probably been mentioned before but has anyone bought the watch from Apple Uk using Parcel Motel or AddressPal? I have family from the UK visiting at Christmas but I would order using addresspal if that will work.

AddressPal only covers up to €40 value, and PM seems to be a right mess at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

Hi All
    Getting the Nike watch delivered tomorrow, is it worth getting a case/cover for it.
    TIA

capefear wrote: »
    Hi All
    Getting the Nike watch delivered tomorrow, is it worth getting a case/cover for it.
    TIA

depends on how rough you are with it..I'd go for applecare ahead of a case for it.
    Any damage to the watch that requires you to pay for it is nearly the price of the watch itself

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The watches are bulky enough on their own, do people actually walk around with a case on top of it?

Hi All
    TIA

I wore my S0 Sport daily from release date to about a month ago, and in that two and a half years, I racked up two tiny scuffs on the screen and one obvious knock mark on the corner of the case. They do show damage, especially if you have bare wrists a lot— all my "accidents" happened in the summer months; in the winter, when the Watch was mostly covered by sleeves, any time I knocked off anything there was no damage.

That said, a lot of the cases are quite bulky, impede use, and some actually cause condensation and other problems, so do your research before purchasing if you're going to go that way.

(And this is coming from someone who wouldn't dream of not having both a case and a glass screen protector on their phone, if that gives you some insight into where I'm coming from.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Put it this way. I’m a lover of nice watches and I have analog watches that are far more expensive than my Apple Watch. I don’t wear cases on them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

Thanks a million for the feedback about the case. I’m clumsy at the best of times but have only scratched one watch years ago so hopefully will be ok. I got the watch today so looking forward to playing around with it later.

Can you get apple care after purchasing the product?

Thanks again for the feedback

Can you get apple care after purchasing the product?

upto 60 days after buying it but doublecheck just to make sure.
    If you're clumsy then yes apple care is a must.
    Put it this way..a fall onto the ground or tiles from over 3 feet will break the glass...and it will cost you around €330 or so for Apple to fix it since no one outside of apple can fix them and Apple just replace it as they're all glued together.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+Series+3+Teardown/97521

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    upto 60 days after buying it but doublecheck just to make sure.
    If you're clumsy then yes apple care is a must.
    Put it this way..a fall onto the ground or tiles from over 3 feet will break the glass...and it will cost you around €330 or so for Apple to fix it since no one outside of apple can fix them and Apple just replace it as they're all glued together.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+Series+3+Teardown/97521

Do you know how much apple care is?

Advertisement