Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

faceman wrote: »
    Put it this way. I’m a lover of nice watches and I have analog watches that are far more expensive than my Apple Watch. I don’t wear cases on them. :)

So do I, but it's not a fair comparison. The Sport (Nike) models are aluminum rather than stainless steel, so they can't have scratches buffed out, and also it's just generally a material that takes knocks way harder. The screen is also more like a phone screen than the hardier crystal used in most high-end watches, so far more prone to shattering and little fractures.

A good analog watch is designed to last decades, whereas I'd be surprised if anyone hangs onto an Apple Watch for more than five years, even the ridiculous "Edition" models. You really can't compare the two for durability; despite both being wrist-worn devices that can tell you the time, ultimately they're really not intended to fill the same function.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you know how much apple care is?

Why Not Ask Apple?

Link above shows cost of €65 for a standard Series 3 watch. May be dearer if you go for a dearer model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why Not Ask Apple?

Link above shows cost of €65 for a standard Series 3 watch. May be dearer if you go for a dearer model.

I actually did google but couldn't see the cost of it! I found the cost of a breakage under it but not the cost of the plan. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

I bought Applecare yesterday for €65 but couldn't do it online myself - the diagnostic completed fine and I got as far as clicking 'buy' after filling in my details but got a "sorry we are unable to process your request". This happened on multiple attempts over several days and I finally rang support and had it sorted in about 15 minutes over the phone.

Has anyone managed to use the watch for boarding Ryanair flights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Shred wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to use the watch for boarding Ryanair flights?

Yes used it last week heading to Germany and back.

It's great in some ways but - when you are holding a carry on, it's awkward and you still need to invoke the wallet pass to come up and scan. For some reason the Watch did not mirror my iPhone lock screen showing the pass. This meant I needed two hands to actually invoke and scan. The iPhone was easier to use with one hand on the iPhone.

Also in Dublin - the scanners are small so it was impossible to use the watch in Dublin to scan while still on my hand - not enough gap. In germany however, they have what looks like big open TILL scanners - so that worked a charm.

Overall it was still cool to use it, the staff were mesmerized - put practicality depends on whether you are carrying anything and if the scanner is small

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Anyone use the Nike+ Running app with their Watch. I’m still on series 0 and the app is fairly unusable on it now. (Slow to respond, crashes regularly etc) Wondering if it works properly on series 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

flexcon wrote: »

It's great in some ways but - when you are holding a carry on, it's awkward and you still need to invoke the wallet pass to come up and scan. For some reason the Watch did not mirror my iPhone lock screen showing the pass. This meant I needed two hands to actually invoke and scan. The iPhone was easier to use with one hand on the iPhone.

Also in Dublin - the scanners are small so it was impossible to use the watch in Dublin to scan while still on my hand - not enough gap. In germany however, they have what looks like big open TILL scanners - so that worked a charm.

Overall it was still cool to use it, the staff were mesmerized - put practicality depends on whether you are carrying anything and if the scanner is small

For me ... it's either on phone lock screen or watch (notifications) BUT not both.
    Outbound flight was watch ... return was phone.

(Settings set to mirror)

flexcon wrote: »

Cheers. I'm flying to London and back tomorrow and won't be carrying anything so I'll see how I get on.

Anyone use the Nike+ Running app with their Watch. I’m still on series 0 and the app is fairly unusable on it now. (Slow to respond, crashes regularly etc) Wondering if it works properly on series 3?

Amazing on series 3. The difference from series 1 to 3 is insane. I sold my series 1 as it was so slow, but this has captivated me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I tend not to use boarding passes on my watch, issue is I wear it on my left and scanner is usually on the right so I'm bringing my hand across me.

I tend not to use boarding passes on my watch, issue is I wear it on my left and scanner is usually on the right so I'm bringing my hand across me.

Yeah I found that too. On paper it seems amazing, but in real life I have found it easier to grab a phone and show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've used the watch on Aerlingus, but the scanners in Dublin airport as someone mentioned above are useless for watches as the wrist doesn't fit. So I typically use the phone and then dont bother with the watch when it comes to boarding the actual plane. Also you have to scroll up and down between the barcode and seat number (assuming you're too thick to remember the seat :) ), on the phone you can see it all.

BigMoose wrote: »
    I've used the watch on Aerlingus, but the scanners in Dublin airport as someone mentioned above are useless for watches as the wrist doesn't fit. So I typically use the phone and then dont bother with the watch when it comes to boarding the actual plane. Also you have to scroll up and down between the barcode and seat number (assuming you're too thick to remember the seat :) ), on the phone you can see it all.

Ah yes the scrolling! That was the problem for myself with Ryanair too. It requires two hands to move, with the phone its one hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

The scanners in Ciampino airport in Rome are Watch friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have been thinking of buying a Watch Series 3 for the last couple of months. It turns out that my girlfriend is going to be in the States in 2 months, and will probably be in Delaware so I'm thinking of getting her to pick me up one. Is there any difference with the warranty if I get it from the States? I presume there's no difference and it will be covered just like iPhones?

For those that already have a Watch, have you had any issues with scratching the screen? Have you fitted any screen protectors? If so, what protector did you go for?
    Can anybody recommend any reasonably priced brown leather straps? I will be using the strap that comes with the watch for day to day wear, but for the more dressy occasion I would like a leather strap. I have had a look on Amazon, but there is a lot to chose from. And like most things on Amazon, there is always good reviews as well as bad reviews!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

BDJW wrote: »
    I have been thinking of buying a Watch Series 3 for the last couple of months. It turns out that my girlfriend is going to be in the States in 2 months, and will probably be in Delaware so I'm thinking of getting her to pick me up one. Is there any difference with the warranty if I get it from the States? I presume there's no difference and it will be covered just like iPhones?

For those that already have a Watch, have you had any issues with scratching the screen? Have you fitted any screen protectors? If so, what protector did you go for?
    Can anybody recommend any reasonably priced brown leather straps? I will be using the strap that comes with the watch for day to day wear, but for the more dressy occasion I would like a leather strap. I have had a look on Amazon, but there is a lot to chose from. And like most things on Amazon, there is always good reviews as well as bad reviews!

Are you a watch lover? If so, you probably own watches far more expensive than the Apple Watch. And I imagine you don’t put a sceen protector on those.

Whatever about phones, screen protectors and cases look silly on watches. Unless you’re engaging in hardcore manual work then other than wear and tear I wouldn’t be worried about scuffs and marks etc.

Are you a watch lover? If so, you probably own watches far more expensive than the Apple Watch. And I imagine you don’t put a sceen protector on those.

Whatever about phones, screen protectors and cases look silly on watches. Unless you’re engaging in hardcore manual work then other than wear and tear I wouldn’t be worried about scuffs and marks etc.

No I’m not really a watch lover. I’ve worn a Fitbit for the last 2 years and it’s scratched and scuffed. I agree with you in relation to watch cases, I think cases look awful. But I’ve seen some screen protector which seem to be more or less invisible once on the watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I just got Apple Care with mine instead of a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Complete dirt bag move by apple to limit the gps model to the sports strap. Trying to force people buy the cellular model when it doesn’t work in most markets.

• Advertisement

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Complete dirt bag move by apple to limit the gps model to the sports strap. Trying to force people buy the cellular model when it doesn’t work in most markets.

GPS works on non cellular models

• Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

had to return mine. The back of the watch where the sensors are located started peeling which according to the agent isn't supposed to happen.
    Watch was collected Tuesday and replacement shipped out to me on Thursday which arrived Friday. I have applecare+ but didn't want the charge on the card.
    Now 3 day turnaround....that is absolutely fantastic customer service.

I think you are confused.

All Series 3 models have GPS so your info is wrong.

Also,, what big deal is a strap? They can all be changed.

Are you mixing something up with the cellular models?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think you are confused.

All Series 3 models have GPS so your info is wrong.

Also,, what big deal is a strap? They can all be changed.

Are you mixing something up with the cellular models?

I'm not confused but obviously not clear.

My point is you can buy the cellular with a choice of Sports Loop straps at no additional cost.

If you buy the GPS you are limited to the sports band. So both strap types have the same value but they refuse to sell the GPS with these straps.

And yes I know I can spend 60 quid on a separate strap.

I'm not confused but obviously not clear.

My point is you can buy the cellular with a choice of Sports Loop straps at no additional cost.

If you buy the GPS you are limited to the sports band. So both strap types have the same value but they refuse to sell the GPS with these straps.

And yes I know I can spend 60 quid on a separate strap.

Ok I get you now. It’s obviously to do with the premium they charge on cellular models that they can do it.

But Apple’s pricing is always excessive and if I had a watch I would just buy a third party strap. Plenty of good quality options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

BDJW wrote: »

I bought this strap when I first got the watch. The leather was stiff initially but wore in very nicely over the past number of months. :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've a Belkin leather strap I got on Amazon too, does the job and looks good enough.

The official ones are really nice and look better but they're too expensive for just a watch strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

compub in limerick were selling the silver milanese straps for €79..I was cursing the fact my watch is space grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ludite

Just curious. Does everyone use more voice search since using the watch? (v3 obviously)

• Advertisement

I got my Watch Series 3 yesterday. I haven't had much time to play with it, or even set it up fully yet. Initial impressions are good. The one downside I've found so far is that notifications can only be sent to either the phone or the watch and not both at the same time. I can see the logic behind it, but don't particularly agree with it!

Advertisement