Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SneakyBeaky

Pecks123 wrote: »
    This will be my first time applying when recruitment opens, so trying to prepare for the Initial selection test a bit early as I wouldn't be that sharp with tests lol:( and was wondering from the people who's been there what's the best to revise for it and what yous found the best way to pass.

If you're not a natural test taker I'd recommend mike byrons how to pass civil service tests. It takes you through several psychometric tests similar to the IST and then goes onto test for the civil service fast stream which are way beyond the IST. If you can train to do those questions the IST will be wee buns! Worked wonders for my partner!

It's also has in-tray exercises like the AC for later! A good buy if you ask me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DonutSquad

Given the imminent recruitment drive, I thought we could do with a fresh discussion as to how people are preparing for this, especially with the new online IST format being implemented.

Obviously there are the trusty practice test published by Police Scotland, but does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Personally I'm a fan of the 'IQ test' apps for a quick fix of mobile brain training. Obviously I don't expect the IST's to be anything like this but anything that gets the old think box ticking is a win in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Post primary transfer tests in Belfast Telegraph :D
    Sounds daft but worth a look to get the old grey matter going.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Not directly related to initial selection material but I’m learning a language through Duolingo app. It’s a good way to keep your mind active and as homer said the grey matter working. Instead of looking at Facebook or Instagram I do that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

I’m focusing on literacy and basic math/ problem solving. Google spot the spelling mistakes tests (there is loads).
    Download a simple math app and practice the mental math. Some of them have times tests which would be good for increasing speed.

I bought a book called police tests by howtobecome.com. It’s good for only one section which is the true false or can’t tell questions.

Just a suggestion. Willing to take on board more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DonutSquad

I've always fancied learning a second language and they do say it's one of the best ways of keeping your brain young!
    Good shout on the spelling mistakes tests too.
    I guess the only real answer is practice practice practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Hey all, this will be the my first time applying, it seems the process this year is a big change to previous. Anyone have any advice on best ways to prepare yourself for it? Also im quite young (18) so maybe since im still in education this may help me! absolutely any advise is appreciated

I would recommend getting your Google on. There's not much you can do about Situational Judgement as that's all you.

However, Verbal Reasoning with True/False/Cannot Say can be practised. It's all about reading the statement and understanding it. Sounds simple until you do it and realise it could be equally True & False & Cannot Say.

There used to be a Data Information part which was awful; be glad it's gone lol

Homer01 wrote: »
    I would recommend getting your Google on. There's not much you can do about Situational Judgement as that's all you.

However, Verbal Reasoning with True/False/Cannot Say can be practised. It's all about reading the statement and understanding it. Sounds simple until you do it and realise it could be equally True & False & Cannot Say.

There used to be a Data Information part which was awful; be glad it's gone lol
    Thanks Homer! From my knowledge there are only 2 parts in this IST with no numericals involved? Also has there been a lot of people on here who have passed first time or is it rare?

KN1231999 wrote: »
    Thanks Homer! From my knowledge there are only 2 parts in this IST with no numericals involved? Also has there been a lot of people on here who have passed first time or is it rare?

That's right; just the two parts. Not too sure about how many pass first time. I'm sure loads do, probably the one's that prepare beforehand.

Make no mistake the IST is purely to cut the numbers down. In previous years it would cut the applicants by half.
    Although I'm sure quite a few apply and then don't bother to even do the IST.

• Advertisement

Homer01 wrote: »

That's right; just the two parts. Not too sure about how many pass first time. I'm sure loads do, probably the one's that prepare beforehand.

Make no mistake the IST is purely to cut the numbers down. In previous years it would cut the applicants by half.
    Although I'm sure quiet a few apply and then don't bother to even do the IST.
    Ah that makes sense, best to start getting ready for the IST now then! Seems like if you don't prepare yourself on answering the questions effeciently and properly you won't get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Not long now until this thread is buzzing. I’m feeling nervous this time. The last three times I knew what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Seems like they are going down the civil service style of selection. As it's proven to work. Deloitte have ran recruitment campaigns for the Home Civil Service innthe past.

Read on the page that the link is valid for a week, was starting to panic that I’d have to book a day off work just for an online test.

3 weeks util the exam, better start looking at some questions lol.

3 weeks util the exam, better start looking at some questions lol.

Yeah, starting to get real again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

How is everyone doing in verbal reasoning practice tests? Some I perform well and others pretty sub/average.

How is everyone doing in verbal reasoning practice tests? Some I perform well and others pretty sub/average.

I think its more natural and common sense to remember what job youre applying for and use the most reasonable answer you think is right

I'd make yourself a little criteria table and tick off what each solution does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

SJT I am not so worried about. Verbal Reasoning T/F/CT makes me nervous lol. Banter you have passed IST a few times, how do you perform in T/F/CT?

• Advertisement

Ignore all real world knowledge. Take the question literally. If the question says the unicorn population is on the rise and the passage states that then it's true

Ive been scouring the internet for free VRTs and SJTs. Scoring better in the latter at the moment.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Ive been scouring the internet for free VRTs and SJTs. Scoring better in the latter at the moment.

Links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Weird question but what way do yous do the T/F/CT.
    Do you read the full passage first and then go to the questions or do you read the questions one at a time and then scan the passage for the answer to that particular question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

NiK9 wrote: »
    Do you read the full passage first and then go to the questions or do you read the questions one at a time and then scan the passage for the answer to that particular question?
    Personally I read the question first and then scan through the passage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

NornIron74 wrote: »
    NiK9 wrote: »
    Personally I read the question first and then scan through the passage.

That's what I'm doing too but didn't know if I was just being awkward lol. Im a rather slow reader if I try to read and digest long pargraphs, but I can scan for certain words etc pretty fast, so reading the question and then scanning the paragraph works best for me.

Goonerdee wrote: »

Links?

Practiceaptitudetests is the one I have used recently. There is only a couple if examples for each type. Some have been rubbish, will see what other good ones I found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TW2017

verbalreasoningtest.org

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GataNegra

HI folks, this is my first post. I'm a little confused as ive read that there is no numerical reasoning  test now. Can someone please confirm this? I have been super busy with work and have started today, "revising"my 'Math" in preparation. Will take my test on Sunday/ Thanks you in advance.

• Advertisement

Read the guidance. All will be answered.

Advertisement