Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

jaxxx wrote: »
    Considering the amount of people on the roads that are similar to her, maybe some sort of intelligence test would be required before anyone can take their driving tests? I got my forklift license recently and I'll need to retest every 3 years. Once you've gotten you're driving license, that's it. Mandatory retests for everyone as well? Every 10 years maybe? Retest wouldn't be anywhere near as strict as the actual one, just to make sure that you're competent on the roads.

The appetite to put mandatory retests in place wouldn't be there I think, too many votes to be worried about.

There's no legal requirement for forklift refresher training either. Just that most companies doing it put a retest date on the licence.
    While the HSA say regular reassessments, they don't give a timescale or detail, a reassessment could be a simple check of their performance.

From the HSA code of practice for forklift operators, extracts to the legislation are also in this.
    28. There is no specific requirement to provide refresher training after set intervals,
    but even trained and experienced lift truck operators need to be re-assessed
    from time to time to ensure that they continue to operate lift trucks safely. This
    assessment, which should form part of a firm’s normal monitoring procedures
    and be formally timetabled to ensure that it is done at reasonable intervals, will
    indicate whether any further training is needed. In addition to routine safety
    monitoring, re-assessment might be appropriate where operators have not used
    trucks for some time, are occasional users, appear to have developed unsafe
    working practices, have had an accident or near miss, or experience a change in
    their working practices or environment. Employers may find it useful to record
    re-assessment in their safety monitoring records. Employers can, of course,
    decide that automatic retraining after a set period of time is the best way of
    ensuring that employees are adequately trained but, where this approach is
    adopted, it will still be necessary to monitor performance in case retraining is
    required before the set period ends. The guiding principle is that employers
    need to maintain the competence of operators to use lift trucks safely through
    a laid down, formal process of monitoring and assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Retest wouldn't be anywhere near as strict as the actual one, just to make sure that you're competent on the roads.

Retests would be a hell of a good idea. Realistically they should be more difficult than the original as the driver should have more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Damien360

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Retest wouldn't be anywhere near as strict as the actual one, just to make sure that you're competent on the roads.

Retests would be a hell of a good idea. Realistically they should be more difficult than the original as the driver should have more experience.

Every one of us would fail on the shuffling the steering wheel nonsense required.

A trip to Tesco to park correctly should be on it. Guaranteed 50% failure rate.

A drive on a dual carriageway or a 3 lane road. 20 minutes driving to see what lane is picked. 80% failure rate.

Maybe I’m too bitter today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Damien360 wrote: »
    Every one of us would fail on the shuffling the steering wheel nonsense required.

A drive on a dual carriageway or a 3 lane road. 20 minutes driving to see what lane is picked. 80% failure rate.

A waste of time and money in my opinion.
    Most would cop on for the test and then revert to the state of Oblivion that they usually drive around in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Damien360 wrote: »

I think you're spot on.

Aside from my 2 tests, and 2 driving lessons before them, I've NEVER done the feed/pull steering crap in the many years since. I doubt most people ever do again after they've done the test.

Can we add parallel parking to the test too please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

tedpan wrote: »
    Your comments.... :D

Their milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Here's a good one. Enjoy.
    The video at 2:20 with the child on the road could have ended so differently. As for your one in the next video, it goes to show how important cameras are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

wyrn wrote: »
    Here's a good one. Enjoy.
    The video at 2:20 with the child on the road could have ended so differently. As for your one in the next video, it goes to show how important cameras are.

I wonder what all that was about from 7:50 onwards. Also, that motorcyclist that fell in front of the camera car was lucky not to have been runover. As for that bint in the 206CC. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Trebor176 wrote: »
    I wonder what all that was about from 7:50 onwards. Also, that motorcyclist that fell in front of the camera car was lucky not to have been runover. As for that bint in the 206CC. . .
    I'm guessing at 7:50 it was about joyriders and the dashcam car spotted the stolen car and chased it. That u turn thought was very reckless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

What was that all about?
    Or maybe you haven't the foggiest

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

What was that all about? Or maybe you haven't the foggiest

Not sure, I think the guy being pushed back at the start had hit one of the girls. That's what it sounded like anyway..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

What did you order?

inforfun wrote: »
    What did you order?
    Probably chicken McThuggets. :D

looks like the driver was blinded by the low sun!

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7273387/fd8e0087/verkeersfittie_a50.html

17 million people on such a small piece of earth is clearly too much.

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7273387/fd8e0087/verkeersfittie_a50.html

17 million people on such a small piece of earth his clearly too much.
    Too many chicken McThuggets!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

• Advertisement

Ah... the winter that made me decide to take the 0%\expired Dutch NCB + foreign licence hit from the Irish insurers and bought myself a car.

You all need a little push now and then. Best way to get me out of public transport was to just stop operating most days at 4pm that winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

New type speed ramp maybe ? :o

More Darwin award nominee stoppers.
    They didnt think of cyclists though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Posting this again with pics...

The pics are in my following post below.

Here's the pics, sorry video from laptop and pics from phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sam that's what I call a challenge to get in or out of that space.

Use to be moving motors in yards and such places and would be tighter then that but that's bad form.

Sam that's what I call a challenge to get in or out of that space.

Use to be moving motors in yards and such places and would be tighter then that but that's bad form.

Yeah luckily a normal human parked behind me ehhhh or I left enough space behind me!? I kinda forgot.........

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

josip wrote: »

The guard thinking “if there was only someone who could give that cyclist a good bollocking”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Here's the pics, sorry video from laptop and pics from phone...

Don't see what the problem is? Did he hit you when reversing, doesn't look like it? Looks like he didn't have much space himself to fit within the lines and he drove by you already so could probably see you had a gap behind you so all you'd have to do is reverse? It would still be possible to get out of that space even if you were bumper to bumper with the vehicle behind you though :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement