Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed Origins

Options
  • 25-10-2017 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭

Release date is this Friday, 27th October 2017.

Launch Trailer

I for one am very excited for it.

Long term AC fan although my interest waned a bit around Unity, not due to the bugs but the sheer overload of everything.

First review seems to be out giving it an 8.8/10 from Pure PlayStation (review has minor spoilers so I wouldn't recommend reading if you want to go in fresh on modern day story, background etc.).

Summary of review;
    Is Assassin’s Creed Origins a return to form? Yes. Is it the best Assassin’s Creed ever? Probably not. While Bayek is a delight to play as he's nothing like Altair or Ezio. His revenge quest isn’t too original either, but it’s definitely an interesting one. Gameplay is as enjoyable as always and offers a wonderful array of going about things. The real show stealer in my opinion are the environments you’ll find yourself running around in. Ubisoft needed to recapture the magic that made the series great in the first place, and it seems it has done so. It's just all the quintessential problems within said magic tag along for the ride. Overall though, the entirety of Egypt is pretty darn huge and most of those issues can be forgiven. Welcome back, Assassin's Creed fans.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

At least they are trying something new with the series. It was badly in need of some changes, and some of the additions look good. Combat in particular looks better than the old system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Kiith wrote: »
    At least they are trying something new with the series. It was badly in need of some changes, and some of the additions look good. Combat in particular looks better than the old system.

Agreed. The old system of simply countering everything whilst enemies attacked one by one just became monotonous.

Amping up the RPG elements of it is a great move and I'm delighted that they've focused on single player only this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Gonna try get this tomorrow, what time do Tesco usually put their stock out? Local Tesco is only open until midnight so was thinking I might chance my arm and pop down at 11.45 or so to see if it had been put on the shelves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Started pre load this morning before college so hopefully its done when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Looking forward to it .
    It's been pre-loading in Steam since last night at about 600KB/s .(maxing out my connection :rolleyes: )

Download is 34.8GB if anyone's interested (Gold version) . Not sure how big it'll be after unpacking .

I was hoping to get a good bit of playtime in this weekend , but as I said in another post -
    ninja 12 wrote: »
    I have all the Assassin's Creed games and preordered Origins the other day :D

There was me looking forward to playing AC Origins all weekend .

Ready to hit the preload button tomorrow , so I can have it ready for the weekend .

Then my sister in law rings my wife and says "Hey , fancy some visitors for the weekend "
    Yay , visitors ,arriving Thursday or Friday :mad::mad::mad:

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Not going to be getting this in my hands until Tue, due to amazon and bank holiday!
    South Park, the fractured asshole will have to get me through the long weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Pre-loading on the PS4 there now.

You can purchase a unicorn with helix credits to use in the game! :pac:

2hplkpf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

You can purchase a unicorn with helix credits to use in the game! :pac:

Hehe , Love the historical accuracy in the Assassin's Creed games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Hehe , Love the historical accuracy in the Assassin's Creed games :D

This could Ubisofts Dan Brown moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Reviews coming out sounds alrite.

IGN 9/10
    Eurogamer Recommended
    Forbes 9.25/10
    Gearnuke 8.5/10
    Gamesradar 5/5
    Polygon 8.5/10
    Gamereactor 10/10
    Game Informer 8.5/10

I am so excited now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Mines getting delivered today sometime, those reviews are very pleasing to me.

Mines getting delivered today sometime, those reviews are very pleasing to me.

Where'd you buy it from? :)

My order is with amazon. It's not even been shipped, not even preparing to dispatch! Just sitting at pre-ordered.
    They are beyond useless for release day delivery at this stage :mad:

Bought mine for the Ubisoft store and it's due to be delivered today (anxiously checks Ups tracker for the 40tg time today).

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Where'd you buy it from? :)

My order is with amazon. It's not even been shipped, not even preparing to dispatch! Just sitting at pre-ordered.
    They are beyond useless for release day delivery at this stage :mad:

I ordered it yesterday from Littlewoods, and getting a delivery today. They are quick, i'll give them that.

I should have just pre-ordered in Smyths!
    Only saving a 5er after all is said and done! :pac:

Reading the reviews makes for hopeful reading looks like a lot of what I had issue with in the past could be addressed.....maybe , no 100% sync achievement either from the looks of it ? Those really annoyed me in previous games

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Reading the reviews makes for hopeful reading looks like a lot of what I had issue with in the past could be addressed.....maybe , no 100% sync achievement either from the looks of it ? Those really annoyed me in previous games

Easy plat/100% by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Dawn of the Creed Collector's Edition arrived an hour ago, collectibles are absolutely gorgeous, photo doesn't do it justice.

431606.JPG

Can only imagine the quality of the €800 edition, must be top class. Can't wait to get stuck into the game now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

martyos121 wrote: »
    Dawn of the Creed Collector's Edition arrived an hour ago, collectibles are absolutely gorgeous, photo doesn't do it justice.

431606.JPG

Can only imagine the quality of the €800 edition, must be top class. Can't wait to get stuck into the game now. :)

for 800 notes, id expect to be flown to egypt tbh.

martyos121 wrote: »

431606.JPG

Ah jeez I have one of them waiting for me at home, just made my journey home a lot more expedient! :pac:

Looks amazing

It's getting late now, no sign of mine yet. I'm getting worried

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ah jeez I have one of them waiting for me at home, just made my journey home a lot more expedient! :pac:

Looks amazing

Get ready for some light assembly, had to use a tiny bit of superglue to get the arrows to stick to the bow (there's a slot on it but the arrows don't stay in on their own), and you can't see it from that angle but the eagle has to slot into a hole on the shoulder and his leg just doesn't look right whatever way you insert it so don't force it thinking it'll click perfectly into place. The back of the arrows slot into a space on his right hand where his finger should be, nearly missed that myself. Think that's all but it was more than I was expecting anyway, but it's still absolutely stunning.

Anyone who isn't completely crap at any sort of DIY could easily figure it out for themselves, but I have to admit it took me a little time to get it right because I'm useless with that stuff so hopefully that helps out anyone in the same boat. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I honestly wouldn't trust those reviews. Assassins Creed games always get get reviews, but on launch the bugs are all shown.

Which really pisses me off because I always want these games to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't trust those reviews. Assassins Creed games always get get reviews, but on launch the bugs are all shown.

Good point. GameSpot gave it a 7/10 and cited technical issues as a negative.

Sonics2k wrote: »

I'd find it hard to not trust so many reviews given assassin's creeds history and this exact reason. Why would anyone want to put themselves in front of criticism again for an incomplete review. IGN review for example notes that she played it for more than 30 hours and only encountered a handful of bugs.

You're also taking about one game that was riddled when you dig down into it, which was Unity. All other games have generally been material bug free at launch and gotten positive reviews.

Unity is also fine now after patches, it's actually a really good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I was a massive Assassin's Creed fan. I bought all of them on launch day (played some of them twice too), but as soon as they ditched the modern day story, I was finished with the franchise. Black Flag was very enjoyable, but when I heard that Unity won't feature any of the present day stuff (or very minimal material) I decided that I had my fill.

Story and characters are important to me and I felt the modern day storyline was integral to my interest in how the plot developed. When they ditched that it seemed like the games were becoming more formulaic to support the gameplay designs they wanted to stick with rather than creating a compelling story to fit the mechanics around. That inversion (to me, anyway) was reason enough to stop playing the next iterations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Falthyron wrote: »
    I was a massive Assassin's Creed fan. I bought all of them on launch day (played some of them twice too), but as soon as they ditched the modern day story, I was finished with the franchise. Black Flag was very enjoyable, but when I heard that Unity won't feature any of the present day stuff (or very minimal material) I decided that I had my fill.

Story and characters are important to me and I felt the modern day storyline was integral to my interest in how the plot developed. When they ditched that it seemed like the games were becoming more formulaic to support the gameplay designs they wanted to stick with rather than creating a compelling story to fit the mechanics around. That inversion (to me, anyway) was reason enough to stop playing the next iterations.

I was the same. It was bad enough with how much they stretched out Desmonds story (particularly the complete "We need to stall them for another game" that was his story in Revelations) and how poorly it ended. But the modern day story in Black Flag was just such absolute bullsh*t.

Advertisement