Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

AC hasn't been good in years.
    Same of stuff over and over.

I'll maybe pick it up on sale in 2 years to try it, realise it's the same as the others...and turn it off

I seen the EAGLE Vision thing, and was immediately turned off.

How is that working in context ? He is seeing through a birds eye and can mark EVERYONE and everything on the map ?...way OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

How many AC games are there now? It seems like that there's about 20 of them at this stage…

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,140 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How many AC games are there now? It seems like that there's about 20 of them at this stage…

9 including Origin I think? (not including chronicles)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm getting the One X, so will be short of cash for pretty much everything else for a while....

Still though, a healthy backlog to work through, so I won't really need anything until the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Of the main series (not including PSP, Vita or mobile or anything)

1, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3, Black Flag, Rogue, Unity, Syndicate and now Origins.

So Origins is the 10th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

SeantheMan wrote: »
    AC hasn't been good in years.
    Same of stuff over and over.

I'll maybe pick it up on sale in 2 years to try it, realise it's the same as the others...and turn it off

I seen the EAGLE Vision thing, and was immediately turned off.

How is that working in context ? He is seeing through a birds eye and can mark EVERYONE and everything on the map ?...way OP.

I'm really looking forward to it. Syndicate was a great game and was lots of fun but was panned or prejudged by a lot of people simply because "Unity was a mess" which made absolutely no sense.

I imagine the eagle vision will have limitations such as enemies that are not in the open and the ability to get too close.

That said, combat and stealth have been completely reworked soeagle vision won't aid the fairly handy combat system we're used to. It might give us an advantage of what's coming but enemies are tougher and need more planning.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,140 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Penn wrote: »
    Of the main series (not including PSP, Vita or mobile or anything)

1, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3, Black Flag, Rogue, Unity, Syndicate and now Origins.

So Origins is the 10th.

Ah forgot about Rogue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm really looking forward to it. Syndicate was a great game and was lots of fun but was panned or prejudged by a lot of people simply because "Unity was a mess" which made absolutely no sense.

I imagine the eagle vision will have limitations such as enemies that are not in the open and the ability to get too close.

That said, combat and stealth have been completely reworked soeagle vision won't aid the fairly handy combat system we're used to. It might give us an advantage of what's coming but enemies are tougher and need more planning.

Hoping we can pre load soon!

Hoping we can pre load soon!

I think Ubisoft said that you could preload on steam and PC uplay from tomorrow and ps4 from Wednesday.

XB1 preload date was on the 12th apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why would people get excited about the yearly AC release? They doing something different to the series ala Mario?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I wasn't a member but found it handy for news stories without having to go to multiple other sites.

Try siftd.net for that, ran by Shane Satterfield formerly of Gametrailers and Xplay, Gamespot, etc.

They aggregate all the big sites / stories into one massive daily feed. You can even customize your feed then for relevant games or platforms so they're pushed to the top for you.

If you want to join their patreon you get access to their original content like Pachter Factor and their weekly 2-3 hr discussion show Gameface. Like €4 a month, member myself and love it.

(Don't work for them, just a member) :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

XB1 preload date was on the 12th apparently.

What-Excuse-me-Say-what-GIF.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Syndicate was a great game although the amount of usual ubi repetitive tasks had me computer burnt out by the end of the game. It had some excellent and interesting missions but they were drowned out in same missions/different District setup.

Saying that, I have zero interest in Origins but if it reviews well, I'll give it a look on sale. The eagle thing looks stupid and there seems to be a lot of flashy XP numbers on the screen which I don't like.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ah forgot about Rogue.

Everyone does :D. Never played it myself but a friend told me it was basically just a less fun Black Flag.
    RasTa wrote: »
    Why would people get excited about the yearly AC release? They doing something different to the series ala Mario?

Well they did skip last year and think they've finally recognised yearly isn't the way to go with it and people are sick of the same exact gameplay all the time, so I think they're trying different things with the game this time to try get people interested in the franchise again. I'm still not bothered with it though.

:pac:

Yeah weird one alright! Saw it on the ubisoft Q&A page. Assuming it was a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ah forgot about Rogue.

Everyone does :D. Never played it myself but a friend told me it was basically just a less fun Black Flag.

Not true at all. Rogue is probably the best in the series since Brotherhood. The only problem it had is that it released on the PS3 rather than PS4. A HD remake would be great.

I love all the AC's released on ps4, black flag was the best imo, played a bit ac2 and it's good but that's all, origins has changed things up a bit, it has taken game play from horizon and witcher, I read that somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I have all the Assassin's Creed games and preordered Origins the other day :D

There was me looking forward to playing AC Origins all weekend .

Ready to hit the preload button tomorrow , so I can have it ready for the weekend .

Then my sister in law rings my wife and says "Hey , fancy some visitors for the weekend "
    Yay , visitors ,arriving Thursday or Friday :mad::mad::mad:

Not true at all. Rogue is probably the best in the series since Brotherhood. The only problem it had is that it released on the PS3 rather than PS4. A HD remake would be great.

Plus it released the same time as Unity, the first proper next-gen AC game.

Friend said it was fine, it was just missing some of the joy that was in Black Flag and he just enjoyed all the piracy and stuff from BF a lot more.

Think I'll wait to hear if AC:O does anything to dramatically move the story along. We've had little but scraps of the over arching story since 3 which was what 4 games ago now?

If it doesn't deliver that I doubt I'll bother with it, certainly not day one anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Have the Dawn of the Creed edition on the way this week (not the €800 one obviously, next one down) so very much looking forward to AC:O as well. Can't understand the criticism of the series in general, there have been far more good ones than bad ones, have paced myself to finish the rest of Syndicate this week and it's brilliant, one of the best in the series and a great game in its own right.

I understand that some people don't like the "Ubisoft formula" for open-world games, but it works well and it's constantly improving so they have no reason to mess with it.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Have the Dawn of the Creed edition on the way this week (not the €800 one obviously, next one down) so very much looking forward to AC:O as well. Can't understand the criticism of the series in general, there have been far more good ones than bad ones, have paced myself to finish the rest of Syndicate this week and it's brilliant, one of the best in the series and a great game in its own right.

I understand that some people don't like the "Ubisoft formula" for open-world games, but it works well and it's constantly improving so they have no reason to mess with it.

My issues (as someone who was a huge fan of the AC series probably up to Black Flag) were how badly they messed up the present-day story, how repetitive so much of each game was (while Black Flag introduced a lot of new gameplay elements for the sea-based stuff, the land missions were insanely repetitive and downright boring), and because there was a new game every year, the first half of each game always consisted of essentially having to start as an assassin and unlock equipment and skills that you've already used in previous games over and over again.

And then there's the Ubisoft formula too, and it was what really lost my interest in the series. I played Unity for a few hours and was enjoying it as the first bit was all story based in different locations etc, but once it actually broke from the story and you could enter free-roam in the city and a hundred icons suddenly appeared on the mini-map, I lost all interest in playing. It was my 5th year of playing an AC game in a row and I just couldn't bring myself to do it again. That's the issue. You start from scratch over and over again and the gameplay didn't change enough to warrant it. Another year, another map filled with hundreds of busywork icons and another story that won't be resolved this year because there's just going to be another AC game next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I was only casually interested in the AC series, but absolutely loved part 2, I thought the whole Ezio storyline and setting was fantastic. I didnt buy 3 when it reviewed poorly, and when I heard it was after wasting the whole desmond storyline.

picked up AC4 free with GWG, and was pleasantly surprised at it, I still lost interest pretty quickly though, but its one I might go back to.

Actually, I'd love an AC game where the assassinations are carried out almost like the heists in GTAV. You have to carry out surveillance on the place first, you can select from two or three different plans, you have to prepare for the plans, set tasks to other NPC assassins to help (and like GTAV, their levels/abilities can determine if they succeed or fail), and there'll be story-scripted events which can either help your plan or cause it to fail meaning you have to improvise. Maybe how well you carry out the surveillance determines whether or not you catch things that might cause your plan to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Wow, NeoGAF is down and allegations of sexual assault against its owner - https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/22/16516592/neogaf-tyler-malka-evilore-allegations-shutdown

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Wow, NeoGAF is down and allegations of sexual assault against its owner - https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/22/16516592/neogaf-tyler-malka-evilore-allegations-shutdown

welcome to last thursday:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

welcome to last thursday:pac:

I'll have a response to this on Saturday :D

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I'll have a response to this on Saturday :D

Read back over the last couple of pages where people express their love/hatred for it but do it in your best Gollum/Sméagol voices for extra dramatic effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Actually, I'd love an AC game where the assassinations are carried out almost like the heists in GTAV. You have to carry out surveillance on the place first, you can select from two or three different plans

Ah we know it would be 2 or 3 variants of tailing missions. God I hate those with a passion :mad:
    But I was surprised that Origins after an extra year in development than usual looked so similar to past titles.

• Advertisement

ninja 12 wrote: »
    I have all the Assassin's Creed games and preordered Origins the other day :D

There was me looking forward to playing AC Origins all weekend .

Ready to hit the preload button tomorrow , so I can have it ready for the weekend .

Then my sister in law rings my wife and says "Hey , fancy some visitors for the weekend "
    Yay , visitors ,arriving Thursday or Friday :mad::mad::mad:

*bro hugs*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement