Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I log about when I log about running

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks, all. Your input is really useful as I'd no idea that humidity could have such an impact. I wasn't massively disappointed but there was a concern niggling at me as I couldn't put my finger on what went wrong. Onwards and upwards (fasterwards? - I'll get my coat).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Thanks, all. Your input is really useful as I'd no idea that humidity could have such an impact. I wasn't massively disappointed but there was a concern niggling at me as I couldn't put my finger on what went wrong. Onwards and upwards (fasterwards? - I'll get my coat).

I didn't click that it was in a forest? That'd have a major impact. The trees sap the air! No word of a lie I've done a 10m, a 10k and my local park run all with tree cover and my times are sh*te. I never copped it til someone said it to me that the tree cover means there's less air.

ariana` wrote: »
    I didn't click that it was in a forest? That'd have a major impact. The trees sap the air! No word of a lie I've done a 10m, a 10k and my local park run all with tree cover and my times are sh*te. I never copped it til someone said it to me that the tree cover means there's less air.

From about 3k on, but I was sh*te before I got to the forest jungle ;)

Monday, October 23rd
    Plan: General Aerobic 8km, including 6x12 sec uphill and 6x100m strides
    Total: Nada

I trekked into work only to trek home again a short time later but any possible window for running was quickly blown away by Ophelia.

Tuesday, October 24
    Total: 8km general aerobic (1:04)
    Avg Pace: 7:36 min/km
    Avg HR: 140 Max HR: 156
    Splits: 7:23; 7:37; 7:49; 7:31; 7:39; 7:42; 7:52; and 7:25

Em. Over an hour for this one :o I will categorise this as a not-great run. It was a combination of two days off, which doesn’t suit me, and my legs still being tired and heavy (oh so heavy) from Donadea. Canned any vague notion I had of doing hill sprints pretty quickly. My back was really tender after this, which led to me to also abandon the following day’s planned run of 13k Endurance. Dr Google told me rest would help. Dr Google was right.

Friday, October 20th
    Plan: Vo2 Max 11km 5x3min uphill @ 3k-5k race effort(jog downhill recovery)
    Total: 7.3km get-me-out-of-this-weather pace (55ish)
    Avg Pace: 7:30min/km
    Avg HR: 137 Max HR: 153
    Splits: 7:10; 7:43; 7:34; 7:46; 7:35; 7:50; and 7:12

My back felt much better, but I was in no mood for running and I was starving. I headed off into the night and was soon soaked to the skin. I don’t mind running in the rain usually; in fact, I quite enjoy it, but I was running into a headwind and it just sapped me of energy. I stood under a bus shelter at the Goat, watching the rain driving sideways and felt a touch sorry for myself. I decided then to run to the nearest Luas and get the frick out of the weather. I think it probably took me longer to get home than if I’d just run. There’s a lesson there for future Huzzah!. Had a pizza all to myself and a slice of Oreo cheesecake. This is what happens when you go shopping for dinner when cold and wet and hungry.

Sunday, October 29th

No plan. Just a 5k easy run to avoid having two days off together.

Well, that was a paltry week of 22ish clicks. My back was genuinely not in great shape, but I could’ve done a longer run on Saturday once it was feeling better. Anyway, given the stop-start nature of the past few weeks, the plan is to start the plan again at week one. It messes up a bit with the goal race and it would’ve been nice to finish the plan on New Year ’s Day, but it wasn’t to be. Another lesson for future Huzzah! is that I obviously need a wee bit more downtime between plans. The good news is a yoga session this morning, which I was avoiding last week because I was resting, has actually worked wonders. I’ll have to get more diligent at practising yoga at home because next month I’m swapping my yoga classes for strength classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Definitely wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the week! I think a break after one plan is important from a psychological point of view, helps you come back fresh and regain the enthusiasm! Plus anything to do with backs scares the bejeesus out of me, so better to be on the safe side and mind it!
    What kind of strength classes are you going to do? Just getting back into this myself - I was practically hobbled last week after my first one in ages!

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    Definitely wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the week! I think a break after one plan is important from a psychological point of view, helps you come back fresh and regain the enthusiasm! Plus anything to do with backs scares the bejeesus out of me, so better to be on the safe side and mind it!
    What kind of strength classes are you going to do? Just getting back into this myself - I was practically hobbled last week after my first one in ages!

I was posting on your log, while you were posting on mine! I'm a bit at sea when it comes to S&C as it's not something I've done before. I looked at the running-specific classes and they seem to be quite expensive and not really at times that suit. For now, for my level, i'm pretty sure I'm going to join Andy Kenny fitness. There seems to be a lot of weights, S&C classes and pilates on offer, and I figure (hope) I can't go too badly wrong there.

What do you do? I see Ariana's physio recommended three gym visits a week :eek:

I was posting on your log, while you were posting on mine! I'm a bit at sea when it comes to S&C as it's not something I've done before. I looked at the running-specific classes and they seem to be quite expensive and not really at times that suit. For now, for my level, i'm pretty sure I'm going to join Andy Kenny fitness. There seems to be a lot of weights, S&C classes and pilates on offer, and I figure (hope) I can't go too badly wrong there.

Ha, weird!
    Funnily I used to do the classes in Andy Kenny regularly until I gave up my membership at the start of last month. I only did the weights classes but found them brilliant. You're making me miss them now! It's true though, a lot of strength classes are really expensive. I'm convinced it makes a massive difference though, plus I'm just super paranoid about avoiding injuries! I definitely need to get back into a regular habit. You'll really feel the benefit if you do!

I have a very weak core and glutes which let me down when the mileage crept up. Physio made this recommendation as a short term to get on top of the situation, he suggested that after the Winter i could ease back on the S&C (2-3 times per week shorter sessions at home, there's a lot that can be done in 15-20 minutes on the living room floor).

For me anyhow with work/family commitments i'd have to sacrifice running if i'm to fit in 3 x 1 hr of gym work so it would have to be just be short-term during the Winter months when there aren't too many races on. Come Feb i'll want to be getting out building the mileage again.

I'd say you can't go to far wrong with Pilates. You could tell the instructor you're a runner and they might emphasise certain things for you.

Ha, weird!
    Funnily I used to do the classes in Andy Kenny regularly until I gave up my membership at the start of last month. I only did the weights classes but found them brilliant. You're making me miss them now! It's true though, a lot of strength classes are really expensive. I'm convinced it makes a massive difference though, plus I'm just super paranoid about avoiding injuries! I definitely need to get back into a regular habit. You'll really feel the benefit if you do!

Andy Kenny seems like a good fit for me and the price also seems fair enough. Your recommendation has decided it for me :)
    I have a very weak core and glutes which let me down when the mileage crept up. Physio made this recommendation as a short term to get on top of the situation, he suggested that after the Winter i could ease back on the S&C (2-3 times per week shorter sessions at home, there's a lot that can be done in 15-20 minutes on the living room floor).

For me anyhow with work/family commitments i'd have to sacrifice running if i'm to fit in 3 x 1 hr of gym work so it would have to be just be short-term during the Winter months when there aren't too many races on. Come Feb i'll want to be getting out building the mileage again.

I'd say you can't go to far wrong with Pilates. You could tell the instructor you're a runner and they might emphasise certain things for you.

Yep, me too. Glutes in particular. I'm going to see what I can fit in at lunchtime/early mornings a couple of times a week and see how I get on. Will need to get my yoga fix, too, even if in a smaller dose. We've been visited at home by the injury demon, hence the resolution to work hard at prevention. Thanks for the advice. I still have all my fingers and toes crossed for you for Sunday.

Andy Kenny seems like a good fit for me and the price also seems fair enough. Your recommendation has decided it for me :)

Yep, me too. Glutes in particular. I'm going to see what I can fit in at lunchtime/early mornings a couple of times a week and see how I get on. Will need to get my yoga fix, too, even if in a smaller dose. We've been visited at home by the injury demon, hence the resolution to work hard at prevention. Thanks for the advice. I still have all my fingers and toes crossed for you for Sunday.

Thank you, it means a lot :)

And i hope the injury at home isn't too serious.

• Advertisement

Oh god I'll feel responsible now if you hate it! :eek: Definitely worth trying out a few of the instructors if you do go for it, as they have quite different styles and some may suit you better than others. But the good thing is if you sign up for a few weeks, the cost per class is less the more you go, so it's a good incentive! You're actually really making me want to go back now... :pac:
    For me anyhow with work/family commitments i'd have to sacrifice running if i'm to fit in 3 x 1 hr of gym work so it would have to be just be short-term during the Winter months when there aren't too many races on.

This might be of interest ariana (well in a few weeks/the future when you've recovered from what will hopefully be a great day for you next week and are thinking about the next challenge!) - http://www.thisrunnersrecipes.com/strength-workout-for-marathon-training/
    She has a good few useful workouts for runners on her site actually, mostly ones that can be done at home in under 30 mins and with minimal equipment too. Worth a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

This may be of interest to all of you too, it's been tried by a good number of people here, some of whom actually managed to complete it :)

This might be of interest ariana (well in a few weeks/the future when you've recovered from what will hopefully be a great day for you next week and are thinking about the next challenge!) - http://www.thisrunnersrecipes.com/strength-workout-for-marathon-training/
    She has a good few useful workouts for runners on her site actually, mostly ones that can be done at home in under 30 mins and with minimal equipment too. Worth a look!

Cheers eyrie, i'll be having a look for sure :)
    This may be of interest to all of you too, it's been tried by a good number of people here, some of whom actually managed to complete it :)

Ahem think i may have got to day 2 of that before :pac: I'll have to try harder eh :cool:

Oh god I KEEP meaning to do that! Ugh now you've got me feeling the guilt again AGYR! That and foam rolling, I can never seem to make it happen! Bad runner :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Oh god I KEEP meaning to do that! Ugh now you've got me feeling the guilt again AGYR! That and foam rolling, I can never seem to make it happen! Bad runner :(

Can't multi quite on the phone but LOL to the pair of ye, no guilt necessary - it's not like I'm home every evening foam rolling and strength training :D As I typed that message I said to myself I must give it another go. Maybe we should all start tonight!!!!!

Can't multi quite on the phone but LOL to the pair of ye, no guilt necessary - it's not like I'm home every evening foam rolling and strength training :D As I typed that message I said to myself I must give it another go. Maybe we should all start tonight!!!!!

:D No no, you're a model of virtue in my eyes now!
    Yes, support group! But but.... can we do it tomorrow instead? I'm tired this evening and I don't want to :P Oh and actually tomorrow's no good either. Ahh, I see how this happens... :eek::D

I got to day 2 on this before, but it might be worth trying again.

Pop the foam roller in front of the TV, so it can guilt you into have a roll every evening. It works for me about 30% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I completed it once , that was enough for me. I find the balance stuff really tough which probably means I need to be doing it .

The Muppet wrote: »
    I completed it once , that was enough for me. I find the balance stuff really tough which probably means I need to be doing it .

Is there where standing on one leg while brushing your teeth helps? I might start with that...

Monday, October 23rd

Tuesday, October 24

Friday, October 20th

Sunday, October 29th

Last week's log was all in the future, bar Friday. If I'd a brain, I'd be dangerous :o

• Advertisement

Monday, October 23rd
    Plan: General Aerobic 10km, including 6x12 sec uphill and 6x100m strides
    Total: 11.25km, including 6x12 sec uphill and 6x100m strides
    Avg Pace: 7:57 min/km
    Avg HR: 141 Max HR: 69
    Splits: 7:44; 7:39; 7:39; 7:44; 7:42; 7:49; 7:54; 7:37; 7:38; 9:13: 8:05; and 9:00

The only way I’m going to get these done is if I do them on my runmute, so they’ll probably all be slightly over the required distance. This all felt really good, the run home in particular. I hate hill sprints, but we knew that already. The latter splits are somewhat meaningless, as I didn’t bother stopping the watch for the recoveries. I also included a four-minute recovery between the hills and sprints, which was mostly spent waiting to cross a road, and doesn’t seem to be included on my plan :P

Tuesday, October 24th

Plan: Endurance 13km
    Total: 13km Endurance (1:34)
    Avg Pace: 7:14 min/km
    Avg HR: 152 Max HR: 173
    Splits: 7:49; 7:25; 7:03; 7:17; 7:18; 7:06; 7:25; 6:35; 6:50; 6:57; 6:28; 7:20; and 8:24

Struggling a bit with the pace on the endurance runs and the effort got away from me a bit. I need to keep an eye as I certainly knew about it the following day. Note to self: effort is most important.

Thursday, October 26th
    Plan: Lactate Threshold 11km 4 x 6min LT Intervals (jog 2 min recovery)
    Total: 10km
    Avg Pace: 7:55min/km
    Avg HR: 146 Max HR: 163
    Splits: 7:36; 8:01; 7:51; 7:53; 7:54; 8:18; 7:43; 7:42; 7:46; and 7:44

The planned tempo went out the window when I reached the 6k point and realised I’d my watch set up incorrectly. I am going to incorporate the tempo element into tomorrow’s run. No harm as you can see from the paces and heart rate, the effort was relatively high for a slow enough pace.

Good luck to all running on Sunday. I'll be hanging around Roebuck Road with a huge box of jellies (that I've struggled not to eat myself this week) :)

Note to self: effort is most important.
    I need to get this tattooed on my forehead. Or probably better yet my arm, where I could actually read it to myself. :(
    Last week's log was all in the future, bar Friday. If I'd a brain, I'd be dangerous :o
    Ha! Tell us what happens in the future, oh wise one!

I need to get this tattooed on my forehead. Or probably better yet my arm, where I could actually read it to myself. :(

Ha! Tell us what happens in the future, oh wise one!

I'm usually the opposite: I'm fine at keeping my easy runs easy, but I struggle to hit paces in my pacier runs. I think I'd happily do all my runs at general aerobic pace and lob in the odd tempo run :o

I just struggle with the Pfitzinger runs because they're neither here nor there for me; they're not hard but not super easy either.

In 2018, I foresee magical DCM 2018 happenings for both of us ;)

Saturday, October 28th
    Plan: 14k Endurance
    Total: 14.5, Endurance (1:39:23)
    Avg Pace: 6:51 min/km
    Avg HR: 146 Max HR: 170
    Splits: 7:11; 7:10; 7:03; 6:48; 6:32; 6:52; 7:16; 6:48; 6:36; 6:23; 6:20; 6:25; 7:36; and 7:56

Em, planned parkrun tempo finish didn’t happy as I was too cosy in my pit. Got up at 6 for breakfast and everything but refused to get up when my second alarm went off at 8. Finally got out for this in the afternoon and enjoyed it. Paces are pretty accurate for endurance runs as was the effort.

I spent a very enjoyable few hours in Milltown supporting the DCM runners and trying to tempt them with some jellies. Marathon day is one of my favourite days of the year. It really brings out the best in people. Tipped out for a quick dander on Sunday evening to try out my new trail runners, ran around the grassy bits in the estate and up and down some grassy banks - it was great fun. 50km v a planned 48k for the week and the plan has (re)started well, apart from the missed tempo.

Monday, October 30th
    Total: 8km, including 6x12 sec uphill and 6x100m strides
    Avg Pace: 7:20 min/km (58:39)
    Avg HR: 144 Max HR: 172
    Splits: 7:26; 6:55; 7:01; 7:25; 7:41; 6:34; 7:43; and 7:53

Again, don’t trust the last splits as they include rest breaks between hill sprints, etc. Loved this run. Over and done with within the hour, which was very civilised for a bank holiday. I would like to say I’m making my peace with hill sprints, but I’m not. I felt like an awful clown. It's much easier to do these under the cover of darkness :p

I went bouldering on Monday afternoon. Great craic but tough enough on the body. I’m sitting here wondering how tonight’s run is going to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Are you me? I'm wondering as I was in Milltown on Sunday too. I also did that 6*12s hills sprints on Monday and am sitting here thinking about my 13km endurance run later! I didn't go bouldering this week but I did a few weeks ago! It's tough on the arms alright.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Are you me? I'm wondering as I was in Milltown on Sunday too. I also did that 6*12s hills sprints on Monday and am sitting here thinking about my 13km endurance run later! I didn't go bouldering this week but I did a few weeks ago! It's tough on the arms alright.

I wish I was as fast as you!

Are you following Pfitz, too? I know you previously did the half plan. I found your log very useful when I followed it earlier this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I wish I was as fast as you!

Are you following Pfitz, too? I know you previously did the half plan. I found your log very useful when I followed it earlier this year :)

Glad someone found it useful! Yes, I've just started the 8-10km plan with raheny 5 mile as my goal. I've started that plan several times but never finished it so I'm really hoping I can stick with it this time.

In 2018, I foresee magical DCM 2018 happenings for both of us ;)

Oh I hope so!! My enthusiasm/excitement/determination has been kicked into gear even more after watching them all at it on Sunday, but likewise so has my sheer terror reading some of the reports of the suffering. I'm not sure I'm that strong! :eek:

chickey2 wrote: »
    Glad someone found it useful! Yes, I've just started the 8-10km plan with raheny 5 mile as my goal. I've started that plan several times but never finished it so I'm really hoping I can stick with it this time.

Goody - we can be plan buddies!

• Advertisement

Oh I hope so!! My enthusiasm/excitement/determination has been kicked into gear even more after watching them all at it on Sunday, but likewise so has my sheer terror reading some of the reports of the suffering. I'm not sure I'm that strong! :eek:

Janey, I think watching on Sunday struck the fear of God into me! I'm saving the reports for the weekend, so that I can truly scare myself witless.

Advertisement