Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I log about when I log about running

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Not at all! I've been reading your log and you're doing really well. You're following a different plan, so there's no point in comparing my mileage with yours :)

Ah yeah, that's true enough i guess but i do feel i should be running 5 times a week even it was just a short recovery/easy run, i just can't seem to manage to get the 5th run in, damn kids, work & life all getting in the way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That's an impressive looking long run Huzzah! Enjoying following your experiences as I'm keen to try out the plan you're on for a half sometime. How do you find it? Looks like some serious work in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ariana` wrote: »
    Ah yeah, that's true enough i guess but i do feel i should be running 5 times a week even it was just a short recovery/easy run, i just can't seem to manage to get the 5th run in, damn kids, work & life all getting in the way :rolleyes:

I seem to struggle with getting the fifth run in lately, myself! I think you're doing really well. It's in our nature to feel like we could do more but you'll fly it come October :)

eyrie wrote: »
    That's an impressive looking long run Huzzah! Enjoying following your experiences as I'm keen to try out the plan you're on for a half sometime. How do you find it? Looks like some serious work in there!

It's my second time following this plan. I managed to get through it pretty unscathed the first time around but I felt I maybe hadn't a big enough base when I started it, so I thought I'd give the plan more justice a second time around. I just about had the required base when I did it the first time, so maybe a slightly bigger base than is recommended by the book might help. It was quite a step up for me in terms of plans but I've found it beneficial to my running, overall.

The main thing I found difficult to get used to was the length of the midweek runs. Before I did the plan, the longest my midweek run would be was about 10k but it was generally closer to 6k. If you exclude recovery runs, the shortest run on the plan is 10k. This is offset in the beginning somewhat by only having four days' running. I think a fifth day is introduced about a month in or so.

One of the nice things about the plan is because the midweek runs are longer and because it includes a medium long run, the traditional "long" run at the weekend doesn't feel so long! A major downside to me is the lack of half-marathon pace runs. There's a sum total of one and that's in race week. I remember the last time around being surprised at how difficult HMP felt and it worried me a wee bit. I was cautious on the day not to run too fast.

If you do decide to follow it and you've any questions, feel free to ask :)

I seem to struggle with getting the fifth run in lately, myself! I think you're doing really well. It's in our nature to feel like we could do more but you'll fly it come October :)

Thank you means a lot :)
    It's my second time following this plan. I managed to get through it pretty unscathed the first time around but I felt I maybe hadn't a big enough base when I started it, so I thought I'd give the plan more justice a second time around. I just about had the required base when I did it the first time, so maybe a slightly bigger base than is recommended by the book might help. It was quite a step up for me in terms of plans but I've found it beneficial to my running, overall.

The main thing I found difficult to get used to was the length of the midweek runs. Before I did the plan, the longest my midweek run would be was about 10k but it was generally closer to 6k. If you exclude recovery runs, the shortest run on the plan is 10k. This is offset in the beginning somewhat by only having four days' running. I think a fifth day is introduced about a month in or so.

One of the nice things about the plan is because the midweek runs are longer and because it includes a medium long run, the traditional "long" run at the weekend doesn't feel so long! A major downside to me is the lack of half-marathon pace runs. There's a sum total of one and that's in race week. I remember the last time around being surprised at how difficult HMP felt and it worried me a wee bit. I was cautious on the day not to run too fast.

If you do decide to follow it and you've any questions, feel free to ask :)

The plan sounds interesting... i'll be back to you about it early next year i'd say ;)

• Advertisement

Monday, August 21st
    Plan: General Aerobic + Speed. 13 kilometers, including 2 sets pf 4 by 150m strides (jog 250m recovery and 4 minutes between sets)
    Total: Per above (1:41:16)
    Avg Pace: 7:47 min/km
    Avg HR: 144 Max HR: 172
    Splits: 7:49; 7:41: 7:44: 7:47; 7:42; 7:52; 8:02; 7:44; 7:47; 7:08; 8:09; 7:44; and 8:02

Runumute but no recollection of this run apart from that. I have a vague recollection of having to talk myself into doing the strides, but, as usual, I felt better during them.

Tuesday, August 22nd
    Plan: General Aerobic 11 kilometers
    Total: 10.8km (1:24:07)
    Avg Pace: 7:46 min/km
    Avg HR: 134 Max HR: 156
    Splits: 7:37; 7:46: 7:43: 7:46; 7:50; 7:48; 7:57; 7:45; 7:37; 6:49; and 8:57

Runmute. Sweaty.

Friday, August 25th
    Plan: Recovery 5 kilometers, incl 4x100 strides
    Total: 5km (41:15)
    Avg Pace: 8:14 min/km
    Avg HR: 132 Max HR: 149
    Splits: 8:02; 7:58; 8:15; 8:29; and 8:24

Nice wee recovery. It amuses me how slowly I can run.

Saturday, August 26th
    Plan: 16 kilometers, including an 8-10k tune-up race.
    Total: Frank Duffy 10mile (1:42:46) plus 1k warm up.
    Avg Pace: 6:18 min/km
    Avg HR: 164 Max HR: 190
    Splits: 6:21; 6:19; 6:19; 6:19; 6:26; 6:21; 6:24; 6:19; 6:33; 6:24; 6:21; 6:21; 6:18: 6:13; 6:19: 5:59; and 5:03 (for the .31)

I ran this at HMP rather than at an all out race pace, but I'm going to write a race report, anyway, as it might be useful to look back over before the half next month.

Sunday, August 27th
    Plan: Endurance run. 16 kilometers
    Total: 16 kilometers (1:57:56)
    Avg Pace: 7:22 min/km
    Avg HR: 141 Max HR: 171
    Splits: 7:57; 7:36; 7:38; 7:36; 7:42; 7:35; 7:29; 7:27; 7:45; 6:56; 6:52; 7:00; 6:44: 6:33: 6:50; and 8:10

I finished this run a few hours ago and I'm still buzzing from it. I loved every step. I ran the first 2k with my (much faster) other half who was doing a recovery run. We ran to the village and back. My hips felt really stiff to begin with but everything was quick to loosen up. I then ran my 10k loop, which incorporates the dreaded climb up the Glenamuck Road. I think my heart rate was mainly in the recovery zone until Carrickmines. Then started the climb and it was tough but okay. I split my endurance run into half and run the first half slower than the second. The quicker half started near the top of the Glenamuck Mountain which had the benefit of meaning it all felt quite easy once I hit Kilternan and the run back to Stepaside. I didn't even mind running past the house to do my 4 kilometer loop and finish the run off. Being able to run a 16 kilometer endurance run the day after running 16 kilometers at HMP is giving my confidence a wee bit of a boost, which was much needed after last week.

62.1 kilometers for the week. This coming week is the biggest mileage week of the plan, with a casual 18 kilometre MLR and a 16 kilometre session, topped off with a 23 kilometre LSR and other bits and pieces in between. But that's next week. I'm going to enjoy this week for a little while longer ;)

Total: Frank Duffy 10mile (1:42:46) plus 1k warm up.
    Avg Pace: 6:18 min/km
    Avg HR: 164 Max HR: 190
    Splits: 6:21; 6:19; 6:19; 6:19; 6:26; 6:21; 6:24; 6:19; 6:33; 6:24; 6:21; 6:21; 6:18: 6:13; 6:19: 5:59; and 5:03 (for the .31)

The plan called for a 16-kilometer run, incorporating an 8-10k “tune-up” race. No such races presented themselves, so I signed up for the FD 10 mile. The plan says to run these races “at close to maximal effort” - however one would manage that – as you're not completely fresh. My initial plan when I signed up was to run a 6-kilometer warm up and then race the last 10 kilometers. In reality, that sounded pretty tough. I also knew that the preceding Friday was going to involve lots of booze, good food and dancing, so when the novices were given a couple of potential ways to approach this race, I opted for one. The plan was, therefore, to alternate 5 kilometers at planned half-marathon pace with .5 of a kilometer recovery. This changed on the day to walking through the water stations to drink a cup of water. Despite a disgusting hangover, this plan worked well on the day. The only slight drawback was the session probably wasn't as hard as it should have been.

I've only ever run one other race and it was this race last year in slightly biblical conditions. I'd hurt my quad the weekend before and hadn't run at all in the week running up to the race. So, my “PB” such as it is, was 1:45:31. So, my result this year was a de facto PB of about 2.40. I feel a wee bit bad claiming it, though.

Frank Duffy 10 Mile 2017

Tummy was feeling red-wine ropey but it didn't feel any worse on the warm up, which, if I'm honest, I only did so that I would have time to go to the loo before the race.

Mile 1
    Quite a flat first mile. I settled into the required pace pretty quickly and didn't have any difficulties with trying to pass people. My legs did feel pretty dead from the off, though.

Mile 2
    I got a flashback to last year on this downhill part of the course, even remembered the two guys who I was running behind, which is funny because no one person really stands out in my memory from yesterday. I knew this was a fast mile and I consciously maintained pace.

Mile 3
    I just can't get over how easy the hills felt. I was slightly ahead of pace here and I kept telling myself it was okay to slow down, but I didn't really need to. I ran past quite a few people here. The water station was at the top of a hill and in or around my planned recovery slowdown, so I moved out of the way and slowed to a walk. Walked through the station slugging my water and took my time.

Mile 4
    My legs started to feel really heavy here but everything else was fine. Breathing was easy. I remember wishing we were slightly further on, which was the theme for much of the race, if I'm honest. Pootled along past the zoo and had a good nosey – I didn't realise last year that you can see right in. I spent a few minutes trying to figure out which part of the zoo it was.

Mile 5
    Down the little dip before we leave the zoo and turn left onto the North Road and through the halfway point.

Mile 6
    Hmmm. Struggling to remember. I walked through the water stop here and took some more water on board. I walked to the corner and my watched buzzed to tell me that the 9th kilometer was doneso – slowest kilometer of the day. The buzz of my watch encouraged me to get running again and off I went towards the next milestone: the 10th kilometer.

Mile 7
    Some poor kid in a Mayo jersey set off a round of cheers for the Dubs around here. Turned onto Chesterfield Avenue and I was a wee bit tempted to just finish. “Sure, I'm not racing; why not?” But I'd also settled into a nice rhythm and the legs were feeling less dead. I was mindful of the tricky finish to the race and kept my pace in check, despite feeling like pushing on a bit.

Mile 8
    Still downhill, straight through a roundabout and eventually swinging left onto yet more downhill on the Acres Road. I was dreading this last as it was horrific last year with the wind. I felt great, though, but was still looking forward to being finished. I didn't take on any water at the last station. I didn't need it and was actually starting to need the loo again. Again, even though I was feeling good, I just didn't want to break the momentum. My heart rate spiked around this mile, for some reason, and it came down a bit after about 7 minutes and stayed in the tempo range until almost the end of the race. It's odd to me that it spiked on a descent, I'm not going to overthink it.

Mile 9
    I spent a distracting few minutes trying to work out if I had two or fhree kilometers left to run and it was a nice feeling when I realised that I'd already past the 9 mlle mark and I'd only two kilometers left to go. I was definitely feeling the effort here. Purgatory is the Upper Glen Road. I've struggled up it some many times on my last legs that I fear it a lot more than it deserves.

Mile 10
    A woman tried to pass me around what must've been a kilometer from the finish. I turned and told her to come with me as there was only half a kilometer left. In reality there was about 800 meters left. I started to pick it up here and emptied the tank for about the last 300 meters.

Apart from the dead legs feeling and the hangover, I felt pretty okay throughout. I'd really like to properly race a 10-mile, but can't see it happening in the near future. I'd have not the first clue in what time to aim for, though :rolleyes: My breathing only became a bit laboured on the last climb today. All going well, I'll, hopefully, be able to run an extra three miles at that pace on the big day :o

Mile 10
    A woman tried to pass me around what must've been a kilometre from the finish. I turned and told her to come with me as there was only half a kilometer left. In reality there was about 800 meters left. I started to pick it up here and emptied the tank for about the last 300

I have all of the maths skillz :o

Tuesday, August 28th
    Plan: General Aerobic 13km
    Total: 5.5km (41:55)
    Avg Pace: 7:36min/km
    Avg HR: 130 Max HR: 148
    Splits: 7:38; 7:32; 7:33; 7:28; 7:44; and 7:48
    I just ran out of time and this is what I could fit in. Excuses, excuses. It wasn't the comfiest run ever, so I wasn't sad to can it at not even half way

Wednesday, August 29th
    Plan: Endurance Run – 18k
    Total: 18km (2:10:05)
    Avg Pace: 7:13 min/km
    Splits: 8:08; 7:36; 7:14; 7:20; 7:29; 7:26; 7:26; 7:31; 7:16; 7:10; 6:57; 6:46; 6:44; 6:58; 6:45; 6:30; 7:06; and 7:25
    Avg HR: 149 Max: 166
    Opted for a fairly flat route for this, instead of combining it with a runmute. Ran into East Wall, along the seafront, St Anne’s, Killester, Howth Road and back into town to the Luas. It never felt particularly easy but it didn't feel too hard, either. Tough enough psychologically facing into a run that's going to take over two hours after a long day of work, hence the route choice. Achilles was a bit tender afterwards but it's fine now. I ditched the heels the next day in work, though I ate a Fulfill bar as my afternoon snack in anticipation. They are truly horrible things.

Friday, September 1st.
    Plan: VO2 max. 16 Kilometres.
    Total: Endurance 16km (1:57:51)
    Avg Pace: 7:22 min/km
    Splits: 7:45; 7:44; 7:29; 7:20; 7:24; 7:21; 7:36; 7:15; 7:10; 7:48; 7:11; 7:03; 7:05; 6:57; 6:51; and 7:43
    Avg HR: 148 Max HR: 188
    I'm a cheater, cheater pumpkin eater. I wimped out of the VO2 max session. It was proving tricky logistically to get it done somewhere without a lot of hillls to contend with and get home as my taxi service has gone away for the weekend, so I took the easy option and did the distance but as an endurance runmute. Was after nine when I got home, so maybe not the worst choice. Anyway, no excuses. I was fearful of the thoughts of a VO2 Max session if I'm honest. I'd a Snack bar in anticipation of this run, much nicer. Not sure why my heart rate monitor thought I'd nearly hit my max at about 7 minutes into the run but I'm putting it down to static from my new tshirt.

Saturday, August 2nd
    Plan
    : 6k recovery
    Total: 6km (47:46)
    Avg Pace: 7:53 min/km
    Splits: nice’n’slow
    Avg HR: 131 Max HR: 164
    Heart-rate monitor playing silly buggers again. Might need new batteries. Pootley pootler around the hood. Very pleasant after an even more pleasant 12-hour sleep. Bliss! LSR tomorrow :eek:

Sunday, September 3rd
    Plan: Endurance 23km
    Total: 23km (2:46:55)
    Avg Pace: 7:15min/km
    Avg HR: 142 Max HR: 171
    Splits: 7:41; 7:40; 7:33; 7:24; 7:44; 7:32; 7:22; 7:33; 7:37; 7:24; 7:19; 7:27; 6:55; 7:03; 6:49; 6:51; 6:59; 6:49; 7:03; 7:08; 6:33; 6:53; and 7:26

The longest run of the plan and it felt great. It went by so quickly. I practiced my gel strategy (My name is Huzzah! and I take gels for a half), so maybe being hyped up on caffeine helped. I only really struggled once and that was on a fairly steep hill. I never felt like stopping. It was almost 10 minutes quicker than the last time I did this run and for about the same effort. Cliff Shot Bloks went down well. The first half was a touch fast, but the second half was spot on, even if I do say so myself :P

Week summary: 69.1 clickers for the week. Tempted to go for a run around the block to bring it up to 70, but I expended too much energy watching the hurling. I'm not too disappointed that I went slightly off plan this week. I think I did what was right for me. There's one more VO2 Max session in the plan that I'll do, all going well. I suppose it's kind of taper time. Next week is a slight step-back week in advance of another 16k incorporating another 8-10k tune up, followed by a 16k endurance run the next day. I'll be in Wexford, so I'll probably do a parkrun, instead and try and make up the mileage around it.

I've started looking around for what to do once the half is done. I've signed up for Run the Line :eek: and Donadea 10k. The original plan was to do a 5k plan with Jingle Bells as my goal race, but I might do a mixed distance plan from the Faster Road Running book, with half an eye on Jingle Bells but the main goal being Raheny in January. Talking about January already :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Run the line is a great race, you'll enjoy that - hard work but great :). When is Donadea 10k again? I'd half considered doing that too

• Advertisement

Run the line is a great race, you'll enjoy that - hard work but great :). When is Donadea 10k again? I'd half considered doing that too

I may well be in over my head with RTL but my buddy is going to do it with me, so at least I won't be on my ownio. It would be shame not to try it given that it's on my doorstep :p

Donadea 10k is 14 October. Oh, look what I have here, a handy link for you to sign up: https://www.popupraces.ie/events/donadea-running-club-10k-2017/ ;)

Ooof, 2hr 46 long run for a half? That's some distance/duration! Amazing that you can say it went by quickly too, sounds like you're in great shape for the race.
    Talking about January already :rolleyes:
    *whisper* I started getting a little bit excited about Christmas yesterday... :eek:

Ooof, 2hr 46 long run for a half? That's some distance/duration! Amazing that you can say it went by quickly too, sounds like you're in great shape for the race.

Ah, yeah, I'm as slow as a boat and it's probably too long for an LSR for a half, but no harm done, I don't think. Imagine if I do decide to do DCM 2018, my long runs will take me a week! :P
    *whisper* I started getting a little bit excited about Christmas yesterday... :eek:

I was disappointed when Dunnes didn't have their scarves in a few weeks ago :o

Tuesday, September 5th
    Plan: General Aerobic General Aerobic 13km, including 2 sets of 4x150m strides (jog 250m recovery and 4min between sets)
    Total: As above (1:37:32)
    Avg Pace: 7:28 min/km
    Splits: 8:05; 7:41; 7:47; 7:23 7:37; 7:27; 7:29; 7:28; 6:43: 7:32; 6:57; and 7:25
    Avg HR: 141 Max: 170

All just ticketyboo. I passed a wee milestone on this run, in that I hit the 1,000 mile mark for the year for the first time ever:)

Wednesday, September 6th
    Plan: 11km General Aerobic.
    Total: 11km (1:33:27)
    Avg Pace: 7:33 min/km
    Avg HR: 138 Max HR: 160
    Splits: 7:54; 7:35; 7:54; 7:32; 7:14; 7:23; 7:29; 7:27; 7:30; 7:15; and 7:50

Relatively fast for a GA run and my legs felt dead, so I really should’ve slowed down. I focus on HR for GA runs and didn’t realise these were the pace they were.

Wow that's great going. What plan are you following again Huzzah? You're doing fairly high mileage (by my standards anyhow :o). All your runs are relatively long, in the past week you've done 18km, 16km, 6km, 23km, 13km, 11km. You'll have a great base for to do a higher mileage marathon training plan after this, it took me 6 weeks of marathon training to get to 23km and all your other runs are longer than my runs are even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Tuesday, September 5th
    Plan: General Aerobic General Aerobic 13km, including 2 sets of 4x150m strides (jog 250m recovery and 4min between sets)
    Total: As above (1:37:32)
    Splits: 8:05; 7:41; 7:47; 7:23 7:37; 7:27; 7:29; 7:28; 6:43: 7:32; 6:57; and 7:25
    Avg HR: 141 Max: 170

All just ticketyboo. I passed a wee milestone on this run, in that I hit the 1,000 mile mark for the year for the first time ever:)

Wednesday, September 6th
    Plan: 11km General Aerobic.
    Total: 11km (1:33:27)
    Avg Pace: 7:33 min/km
    Avg HR: 138 Max HR: 160
    Splits: 7:54; 7:35; 7:54; 7:32; 7:14; 7:23; 7:29; 7:27; 7:30; 7:15; and 7:50

Relatively fast for a GA run and my legs felt dead, so I really should’ve slowed down. I focus on HR for GA runs and didn’t realise these were the pace they were.

Congratulations on the 1000 miles Huzzah.

Wooop, 1000!! What a milestone, congratulations.

Wow that's great going. What plan are you following again Huzzah? You're doing fairly high mileage (by my standards anyhow :o). All your runs are relatively long, in the past week you've done 18km, 16km, 6km, 23km, 13km, 11km. You'll have a great base for to do a higher mileage marathon training plan after this, it took me 6 weeks of marathon training to get to 23km and all your other runs are longer than my runs are even now.

That's the highest mileage week; it's taper town from next week :) I think, if you exclude recoveries, the shortest run is 10k. The majority of the runs seem to fall between 13 and 16k. It's from the book Faster Road Racing by Pfitzinger and Latter. If you hear of people referring to the P&D plan for marathons, the "P" is Pfitzinger.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faster-Road-Racing-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/1450470459

Maybe Santa might bring you a copy ;)

That's the highest mileage week; it's taper town from next week :) I think, if you exclude recoveries, the shortest run is 10k. The majority of the runs seem to fall between 13 and 16k. It's from the book Faster Road Racing by Pfitzinger and Latter. If you hear of people referring to the P&D plan for marathons, the "P" is Pfitzinger.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faster-Road-Racing-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/1450470459

Maybe Santa might bring you a copy ;)

Santa might bring me a copy but he might also divorce me in January if i start running all those miles :pac::pac::pac::pac:

In all seriousness i would like to keep my mileage up after DCM. Before i used to run 1 x 5k, 1 x 8k and 1 x 10k a week typcially :eek: :o Ok so i'll admit I'm looking forward to the long run being a bit less long maybe 15-20km! I'm hoping i can keep going with 4 runs a week and introduce some more variety as well as mid-week runs in the range 8-15km. But we'll see, i'll be looking at books & plans later in the year, i'll ear-mark that one, thanks :)

Santa might bring me a copy but he might also divorce me in January if i start running all those miles :pac::pac::pac::pac:

In all seriousness i would like to keep my mileage up after DCM. Before i used to run 1 x 5k, 1 x 8k and 1 x 10k a week typcially :eek: :o Ok so i'll admit I'm looking forward to the long run being a bit less long maybe 15-20km! I'm hoping i can keep going with 4 runs a week and introduce some more variety as well as mid-week runs in the range 8-15km. But we'll see, i'll be looking at books & plans later in the year, i'll ear-mark that one, thanks :)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! It seems to be working for you. You've times that I can only envy work towards.

I don't have any responsibilities, apart from work, so I'm just working hard to see where I get. It's easy for me: my other half runs, so he doesn't mind having to wait for dinner while I get a run in, and it actually takes me the same amount of time to run the 10k home as it does to take public transport ;)

• Advertisement

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! It seems to be working for you. You've times that I can only envy work towards.

I don't have any responsibilities, apart from work, so I'm just working hard to see where I get. It's easy for me: my other half runs, so he doesn't mind having to wait for dinner while I get a run in, and it actually takes me the same amount of time to run the 10k home as it does to take public transport ;)

It's handy your OH runs. In fairness to mine he's being very supportive but the kids are young and i get the guilts some evenings when i appear in my running gear and see their faces/ or even worse when they cry when i'm going :eek:

There's a few of us logging here now that have similar enough times and goals. It'll be interesting to see what the next few months and 2018 bring. I can see us all making improvements in times and distances. Things are looking good :)

Friday, 8th September
    Plan: Recovery 5km (incl 4x100 strides)
    Total: 0
    No excuses. Short on time, but I could've done this at lunchtime. I opted to fill my face with a huge pizza, instead.

Saturday, September 11th
    Plan: 16k, incorporating an 8-10k tune-up race
    Total: approx 16km, incorporating a parkrun
    Warmup 3k@8:26/km
    parkrun: 25:47 Avg HR: 177 Max: 185 (inaccurate) splits: 5:32; 5:22; 5:41; 5:54; and 5:14
    Top-up: 6k@7:46/km
    The garmin is largely useless in Johnstown, so I’ve included averages rather than splits. Splits are included for the parkrun as an illustration of how badly I faded!

Plan for today was to aim for a 4K warmup, followed by a raced parkrun and then to make up the rest of the 16k. My 5k PB was 26:32 and I was hopeful, based on my most recent VO2 max session that I could run 5:15 kms to finish in or around 26.15. The warmup was odd. My heart rate was relatively high but I decided that maybe I was a bit nervous and not to worry too much. Met an old acquaintance at the start line, who was out for a trot, and felt a bit rude when I “pelted” off at the gun.

Johnstown Castle parkrun is a three-lap course. Plan was to go out at planned pace for the first two laps and pick it up for the third if I was able. Hilarious. I shot off like a scalded cat. The effort felt really tough from the outset, but the time was slow according to my watch. I know Johnstown well enough to know not to pay too much attention to what my garmin says, but it's been a while since I've done it, so I felt pretty disheartened. I kept the effort up as the plan was to race, even if no PB was on the cards. I generally only use my watch at the start of a 5k, anyway, to settle into a pace and then ignore it. I only glanced at it when the kilometres buzzed and I was feeling more and more down: “why does this feel so hard when it's at my tempo pace?” I then realised that I hadn't been lapped and figured I must be a bit quicker than I thought. I got a stitch as I headed into the third lap and the fourth kilometre was my slowest. I was also pretty done in, if I'm honest. As I ran up the slope before the castle, I realised I’d more than three minutes to get home and didn't think it would take me that long. I perked up a bit but the stitch prevented me from pushing on. I also was feeling quite nauseous. I passed the castle and up the last slope, hoping I could make use of the downhill finish but the stitch prevented me from doing so.

Nearly keeled over when I saw stopped the watch and saw 25:xx on its face! The course measures in at 4.6km, but apparently it's been measured three times, using a variety if measures, and is bang in 5k, so I'm taking 25:47 as my new 5k PB. Would love to know my actual splits, though :p

Headed off to do a lightly longer version of the course to try and bring my daily kilometerage up to the prescribed 16k. My right calf had tightened considerably, so I kept the pace easy. It loosened out quite quickly. Johnstown is truly beautiful but I was glad after my billionth lap when I was (approximately) done. How does Osolslo do it?!

Sunday, September 10th

Plan: 16 Kilometres Endurance
    Total: Endurance 15.9km (1:53:54)
    Avg Pace: 7:10 min/km
    Splits: No idea as I “upgraded” to Strava premium and now I can't see my kilometre splits!
    Warmup 2k@7:26/km
    Endurance first half: 7k@7:16
    Endurance second half: 6k@6:55/km
    Cool down @7:31/km
    Avg HR: 142 Max HR: 159

Holy heck, my QUADS! Pounding down the ramp three times at 5k pace yesterday has not done them any favours. They were so tender when I got up, I was actually delighted to be heading out on a run to ease them out, despite the lashing rain and howling wind.

This run was great. I was soaked from early on and blown to a standstill a couple of times. I can't get over my heart rate, though. It was in recovery zone for most of the first half and general aerobic for most of the second, despite running endurance paces. Was tiring quite badly near the end. My right calf doesn't feel amazing. It loosened out in the run but has started to tighten while I sit here. Gonna keep an eye on it and become reacquainted with my foam roller this week. Yoga tomorrow should help.

So, 54 kms for the week and taper town proper now. I'm not a great at tapering. I get lazy and struggle to stay on plan. Possibly a little bit of self-sabotage going on. One tough VO2 session this week but the rest should be easy enough. I need to pull everything back by a day as the plan has the half on a Sunday but, again, that shouldn't pose any problems. Just need to keep my focus and not slack off now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats on the PB!

Congrats on the new PB!! That's a good chunk off your previous time too, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Congrats on PB ! Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done and congratulations on the PB ðŸ‘

Tuesday, September 12th

Plan: 10 Kilometres avec strides
    Total:10 Kms sans strides (1:14:45)
    Splits: 7:27; 7:33; 7:32; 7:18; 7:10; 7:21; 8:05; 6:57; 7:14; and 8:00
    Avg HR: 137 Max HR: 167

Wasn't feeling too clever when I headed out on this run and my right quad was still quite tender. I was quite looking forward to it before I left. It was still quite a pleasant run but the slightly achey calf made me forego the strides. Had made a hames of setting it up on my watch, anyway, so had changed it to a fartlek in my mind. It wasn't to be and although my quad loosened out, I could feel it for the duration.

Wednesday, September 13th

Plan:
    6km recovery
    Total: Rien du tout

I did do yoga, though.

Thursday, September 14th

Plan: 14 Kilometres Vo2 Max
    Total: 14 kms , which were neither here nor there (1:41:34)
    Avg Pace: 7:14 min/km
    Avg HR: 142 Max HR: 170

I built this up in my head and was worried about it. I don't know why. I've never had any issues with Vo2 Max sessions before. Sure, they're hard but not every run can be easy if I want to improve. I tried to recruit help but couldn't find a willing volunteer. I think this shows that I really need to join a club and it's firmly on the to-do list for 2018, nerves aside. I felt fine during the first 6k. No issues with my quad, thankfully. I ran a circuit and realised how strong the wind was on the 5th km, which didn't do my confidence any good. Circled back, so that at least the first Vo2 max interval would be wind assisted. The first interval was to be 1,200. Thought to myself that I actually felt like I was running, rather than pootling along. Got to about the 900meter mark and someone turned onto the footpath ahead. He was pushing a buggy and walking three dogs and that was it: game over. I just couldn't face trying to run passed him. Like, what?! I stopped and sat on a wall for a bit. I set off again with the intention of just running the distance but when the watch buzzed to signal the start of the next 1,200 interval, off I went again, for about 200 meters. Finished out the run at regular GA effort and it was a slog. I was running into the wind for three of the last four kilometers and I felt done. Good thing I hadn't brought my phone or I would have phoned for a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Good thing I hadn't brought my phone or I would have phoned for a lift.

You still got it done, take comfort in that!

Saturday, September 16th

Plan: 16 Kilometres Endurance
    Total: 15.93 or 16.08 Kms depending on whether you trust in Garmin Connect or Strava more. Endurance (1:54:45)
    Avg Pace:
    7:12 min/km
    Splits: Warmup 2K@8:14. 7k@7:04. 6K@6:57. Cooldown@7:37
    Avg HR: 140 Max HR: 167

A wee pootley dander along the Seine in glorious Paris. I looked into incorporating a bit of parkrun tourism into this run but Parisian parkruns are fast! I’m not sure the volunteers would have appreciated having to wait for me to dander around at my endurance pace, particularly when I can’t really repay the favour, so my run was relegated ;) to the banks of the Seine, instead. Not a bad place to run. Plenty of clean public toilets for any pitstops that were required and lots of drinking water fountains, one of which even dispensed sparkling water (oh la la)! This run was really enjoyable. The paces referenced above are completely inaccurate and can be largely ignored. I didn’t spend as much time swimming as either Garmin or Strava would have you believe – I think Garmin is the more accurate, though. As much as I enjoyed it, my legs were starting to tire near the end as Friday’s walking caught up with me.

That’s the penultimate week completed. 40km for the week as I didn’t do the two planned recovery runs :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Sounds like a fab run - taking in the sights of Paris !

Advertisement