Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Does anyone know if wind return periods are available online, would like to get some context in Ophelia's wind reports? I can see that rainfall returns are publically available on http://www.met.ie/climate/products03.asp but no mention of wind returns.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Does anybody have a link to the Met Eireann marine analysis page (which shows hi res map) as can't seem to find it here on search. Cheers.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Does anybody have a link to the Met Eireann marine analysis page (which shows hi res map) as can't seem to find it here on search. Cheers.

http://www.met.ie/marine/marine_map.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

https://www.met.ie/latest/marine-analysis.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I think the anemometer is at about 100 metres as this is where helicopters land but they do have wave sensors too.

From Kinsale-energy.ie...

Doesn't that suggest that its significantly less than 100m? The base is on the sea bed surely with the blue shading indicating water level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Ta muchly boys. :)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

WEB_Analysis.png?1007

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I think the anemometer is at about 100 metres as this is where helicopters land but they do have wave sensors too.

From Kinsale-energy.ie...

37729387741_118c0a502a.jpg

37729387801_1f4516039f.jpg

What you are looking at in that picture of 158metres height is the height of both the jacket and topside. It sits in 100 metres of water. That's a small platform by comparison to modern platforms.
    For reference, the main components of the WMS on Clair Ridge (West of Shetland) sits on the cellar deck at 43metres ASL There are anemometers on each of the 3 cranes up to 79metres but these are not fed into the WMS.

Doesn't that suggest that its significantly less than 100m? The base is on the sea bed surely with the blue shading indicating water level?

The top of that mast is 158 m, so I reckon the helipad is at least 100 metres.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Fastnet lighthouse now reporting winds of 72kts with gusts of 91kts.

• Advertisement

What you are looking at in that picture of 158metres height is the height of both the jacket and topside. It sits in 100 metres of water. That's a small platform by comparison to modern platforms.
    For reference, the main components of the WMS on Clair Ridge (West of Shetland) sits on the cellar deck at 43metres ASL There are anemometers on each of the 3 cranes up to 79metres but these are not fed into the WMS.

Ah, I see it now. That light blue surface is the water surface. So the anemometer is probably 30 metres above the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Met Eireann Wind Map for today seems to be showing lower wind speeds than they were showing yesterday, when there were two arrows in the South and South West showing 100.

Am I wrong to think that things will be a bit easier (albeit dangerous) than thought yesterday?

Sorry, you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The top of that mast is 158 m, so I reckon the helipad is at least 100 metres.

If Cork County Hall is supposed to be a scale comparison, then there’s no chance the helipad is at 100m, as the buidling is 67m yet indicated as still being below the sea level. The math doesn’t work out!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

65kn (gust) at Roches Point at 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

10.00am station reports are in. 65 at Roche's P and 63 and Sherkin. S/SE Pressure btwn 980 and 990 hPa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Winds of 148kph recorded at Fastnet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Roches point wind 42 knots gusting 65 knots
    Cork Airport 31 knots gusting 53
    Latest weather reports from met eireann here

Buoy reports
    Roughly: M3 south west coast, M5 South East, M1 West

Met E rainfall radar

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Met Eireann Wind Map for today seems to be showing lower wind speeds than they were showing yesterday, when there were two arrows in the South and South West showing 100.

Am I wrong to think that things will be a bit easier (albeit dangerous) than thought yesterday?

I would say that map is deeply imprecise - when is “today”? Are they displaying a daily average, or peak winds?

Another view of Kinsale platform, which shows the helipad about 40 metres above the surface.

23876959598_19a9b5d239.jpg

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    M3 latest hourly observations down to 976.4mb (from 980), wind speed largely the same at 40G53 (up from 39G49), significant wave heights up quite a bit to 5.47m (from 4.06m)

Centre would appear to have passed M3 now, it’s reporting 992.2mb, 41G56kts, 6.7m wave heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I would say that map is deeply imprecise - when is “today”? Are they displaying a daily average, or peak winds?

I've never understood how those maps work, same with the summary ones at the end of the forecast on RTE, they never seem to match up with anything

Not sure if it was posted earlier but there's a live stream from Cork here, doesn't seem very stable and its got some awful music going on but should give a good idea of what its like down there! Just looks like a stiff breeze there so far..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UuI1b4h3ds

Visible image at 10 am.

430758.jpg

Live map of conditions on Kinsale Platform.

https://www.fugroweather.com/WeatherMonitor.Net/Displays/KinsaleEnergy/C20236/WIND_TS.aspx

So the station pressure (QFE) is currently 987.9 hPa and the surface pressure (QNH) is 992.2. Given a conversion of around 8 metres per hPa that gives a station height of about 34 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork airport reporting 67kts (124km/h) earlier than forecast.

Getting very windy here in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The point is that the same map in respect of Monday 16th October that was published yesterday, showed much higher values on the wind arrows. I assume that its level of precision hasn't changed. Some of us do rely on ME products to help us organise our outdoor activities, and a chart that showed 100 yesterday in Cork and shows 70 today surely tells us that a lessening of wind strength is now forecast compared to yesterday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,876 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mayo.mick wrote: »
    not too far off the national record, set in 61.

Kinsale platform live data

23877147828_8c74ff6025.jpg

37059837953_d05a0e5d23.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭yannakis

..wind is off the chart with max set at (default) 50 Knots!!

Advertisement