Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well here's the thing.

I have a hand held very bright torch thing from Aldi. Lights up the whole room. Batteries bought to feed it if necessary.

Bought 4 x two litres of water, and will fill kettle, and jug in the fridge too.

Have tins of corned beef (yum) and bread and butter. Will keep us alive, along with Weetabix. Milk is a problem the weather is very warm these days, but I will do what my old lady did back in the day and put the milk (decanted into screwtop bottles) in a sink full of cold water.

Other than that what can you do? No need to go all Prepper style and apocalyptic, but once you have the basics, you will be grand.

Oh and a bottle of wine/whisky/few beers for the spectacle is good too.

We will know more tomorrow.

Great thread and thanks to everyone for the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Den Creed

Can anyone give me insight if a flight from Keflavík International Airport Iceland Cork could take place on Monday 12:30 pm ?, a few relatives went up with a group there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Should we be buying candles and torches tomorrow? Is is that bad?

Spanish eyes it sounds like you're preparing for the zombie apocalypse. Do I really need 8 litres of water stored away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Gravity fed urban water mains should be fine.
    Keep your mobiles charged!
    Also, it's advisable to turn your fridge/freezer to lowest setting as there's a risk of a power outage. It will keep cooler for longer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Den Creed wrote: »
    Can anyone give me insight if a flight from Keflavík International Airport Iceland Cork could take place on Monday 12:30 pm ?, a few relatives went up with a group there.

Unlikely, given the way this is shaping up, presuming that's departure time from Keflavik, so arriving into Cork mid afternoon, which unless this downgrades massively will be close to the peak of the winds.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

JJJJNR wrote: »
    So I'm fairly high in the wicklow mountains, is there any precautions I should take with the likes of sheds and windows. Would boarding up be a step to far.

My homeplace is over 1,000ft. Make sure any light objects around a farm yard are inside. If you have straw bales in ricks with tyres on top they can be dangerous. Old out houses with slates. Fair bit of rain coming if cattle need to be brought in. Doors of sheds shut etc. Also most farm buildings are built to shelter from the prevailing south westerly wind. This may have an easterly/south easterly direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I've made sure I have some cash because if the esb and internet goes down, bank cards might be useless. Also most shops in my town have no natural light, so might have to close. I'm also going to lay my dustbins flat on the ground so they can't blow over. I've just had them emptied.

Unlikely, given the way this is shaping up, presuming that's departure time from Keflavik, so arriving into Cork mid afternoon, which unless this downgrades massively will be close to the peak of the winds.

I don't know if its the departure time from Iceland, or arrival to Cork, but from memory, I'm leaning towards arrival time. Anyhow, thanks for the input

They'd likely be better off just spending an extra day in the Blue Lagoon.

If they need cheap accommodation, check around the Keflavik area. There are a lot of quite reasonably priced hotels and even quite reasonable hostels on the old military base that were built from converted NATO accommodation. Basic, but modern, clean and functional.

Wind picking up in Cork City now - Some quite noticeable gusts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

flaneur wrote: »
    Nothing to do with it its still west of the strait of gibraltar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

As I said in the other thread, nothing to do with Ophelia.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Den Creed wrote: »
    The school tour?

They'll only be delighted that they don't have to come back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There's a thing what are the wind turbines in the country rated to withstand

Wind farms may be turned off if winds reach 85 miles per hours, according to Stephen Lilley, partner at Greencoat Capital LLP, which manages funds that invest in wind farms including four in Northern Ireland

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-14/hurricane-ophelia-set-to-pick-up-speed-as-it-heads-for-ireland

They'd likely be better off just spending an extra day in the Blue Lagoon.

If they need cheap accommodation, check around the Keflavik area. There are a lot of quite reasonably priced hotels and even quite reasonable hostels on the old military base that were built from converted NATO accommodation. Basic, but modern, clean and functional.
    Should've mentioned it's a school tour, surely teachers will be able to suss things out, reminded me of a story when another school tour got stranded in France ( Ironically, an Icelandic volcanic event), managed to get accommodation Free (well free to students) and food vouchers, surely, something similar can be sought out if the worse case happens

Should we be buying candles and torches tomorrow? Is is that bad?

Spanish eyes it sounds like you're preparing for the zombie apocalypse. Do I really need 8 litres of water stored away?

Well that stash is just for the hangover :D

But what the heck it's no biggie to buy a box of matches and a few candles is it. But a torch is safer esp with little ones around the place. Water in urban areas will be ok I think, but if on a well without a generator to work the pump.... different story!

Hopefully they do have it sussed, the airline and Keflavik ground crew should be able to help.
    It might be worth talking to them at this stage. It's a small airport and pretty friendly.

Danno wrote: »
    Wind farms may be turned off if winds reach 85 miles per hours, according to Stephen Lilley, partner at Greencoat Capital LLP, which manages funds that invest in wind farms including four in Northern Ireland

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-14/hurricane-ophelia-set-to-pick-up-speed-as-it-heads-for-ireland

Turning them off will be one thing. I just hope that the companies that put them up didn't take any shortcuts with things like foundations, the loading that extreme winds could impose on them could be enough to topple them, which will have severe consequences both short term and long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://twitter.com/CC_StormWatch/status/919313345420726274
    The greatest wind (and storm surge) threat from #Ophelia are on the W and S facing shores of Ireland on Monday.

DMIOnUPUEAAz8ox.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Turning them off will be one thing. I just hope that the companies that put them up didn't take any shortcuts with things like foundations, the loading that extreme winds could impose on them could be enough to topple them, which will have severe consequences both short term and long term.

A turbine on the home farm. The foundations that were put in are unbelievable..at home at any rate. They are controlled remotely from Germany (aren't we all!) and stop at an ordinary gale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I'd hope Ophelia takes as many of the ghastly looking yokes down as possible. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Whoever said about Turbines not being at risk, I'll just leave this here
    http://donegalnews.com/2013/03/huge-wind-turbine-blown-down-near-ardara/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Danno wrote: »
    I'd hope Ophelia takes as many of the ghastly looking yokes down as possible. :mad:

I like them oddly enough. There is a kind of daunting beauty about them.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Lets hope those 3/4 massive turbines powering the plants in Ringaskiddy don't collapse! hopefully they were put in correctly! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Ive to travel from dublin to limerick monday morning and back again that afternoon by train. Do you think that will be affected?

Here we are on a thread that is telling us to prepare. No problem with a few bottles of water, a torch, a fired up phone, a loaf of bread a bit of cheese.

But nothing from anyone in Government/LA/National Broadcaster.

It doesn't have to be apocalyptic, just get the basics sorted.

But nothing.

And when they do, if they have to do it, it will be Sunday night. Perfect for stocking up.

What is the fekkin problem with having a few bottles of water, a torch, a battery operated radio, charged up phone. I just don't get it.

No panic obv.

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Ive to travel from dublin to limerick monday morning and back again that afternoon by train. Do you think that will be affected?

Hard to be definitive yet, but there are a lot of trees alongside the tracks,so there is the potential for disruption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

This is starting to gather a lot of attention internationally.

Anyone set up a charity for us yet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,366 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

my3cents wrote: »

Mo Phoca, registered charity no 999112666, all proceeds go to repairing ireland (after expenses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

my3cents wrote: »

Better have it up and running tomorrow just in case it doesn't materialise!

Advertisement