Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 Limerick-Waterford upgrade

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I have deleted posts relating to Social Welfare as off topic, plus warnings about those posts being off topic. Obviously infrastructure is a political issue that can be discussed, but straying into other areas like social welfare and those who receive it should be done elsewhere. I did not mean to curtail discussion of road provision or funding of that provision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

I wonder what are the chances of upgrading whole of N24 to Motorway from Waterford (as an alternative for upgrade of N25 Waterford to Cork) as then you would have a less stressful Waterford to Cork journey - on both driver and vehicle - in about the same journey time. Long term would it be most economically efficient?

One big issue would be the re-engineering of the Dunkettle roundabout to cope with the additional traffic from Limerick and Waterford etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Looks like dual c. upgrades are on the cards for both of those routes, and not end to end.

The new Dunkettle junction will already need to handle a lot of traffic coming from the Waterford direction as present traffic levels generated by Glounthane, Midleton etc. are presently very high.

That's correct. But I wonder if it would make more sense (financial and road safety) to have all N24 to high quality D C or M Way standard thereby having greater and safer national interconnectivity?

........But then when did many of those employed in the public sector exercise common sense on infrastructure projects?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Minister wrote: »
    ........But then when did many of those employed in the public sector exercise common sense on infrastructure projects?

OK! How about you find them the required budget for a motorway that long for a not-so-major scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Paddico

spacetweek wrote: »

OK! How about you find them the required budget for a motorway that long for a not-so-major scheme?

In comparison to what. Have you driven this route lately?

On it this morning and worse it is getting!! Average speed is 33mph on a major route linking two important cities. Grrrr......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

On it this morning and worse it is getting!! Average speed is 33mph on a major route linking two important cities. Grrrr......

Important to us but sadly not to the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭NedNew2

That's 55 kph in modern terms. Pretty slow alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bumping for the laugh. Any news?

• Advertisement

No, still an unfunny 48 to 55km average speed in morning or evening times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I thought I saw something in the Capital expenditure Plan for Limerick to Cahir section?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

road_high wrote: »

I thought I saw something in the Capital expenditure Plan for Limerick to Cahir section?

Tipp Town to Cahir I believe.

This routes needs to be 2+2 minimum.

Tipp Town to Cahir I believe.

This routes needs to be 2+2 minimum.

The whole way from Grannagh roundabout to Limerick should be, especially as the rail line is not operative at convenient times for commuters and no longer used for freight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The whole way from Grannagh roundabout to Limerick should be, especially as the rail line is not operative at convenient times for commuters and no longer used for freight.

The road is not too bad through south Kilkenny even though the Piltown has had major safety issues. It's dreadful most of the way through Tipp, best (lest worst section) probably Clonmel-Cahir. After that it descends into third world standard.

road_high wrote: »
    The road is not too bad through south Kilkenny even though the Piltown has had major safety issues. It's dreadful most of the way through Tipp, best (lest worst section) probably Clonmel-Cahir. After that it descends into third world standard.

I don't know, I think that from quarry roundabout to the 2+1 is wide but slow as it is seldom there is an opportunity for overtaking; likewise from Carrick to Cahir 2 + 1. It can take up to 75 minutes from Waterford bridge to end of Cahir 2+1 - depending on traffic and trucks/slow drivers etc. Hence why I believe it should be 2+2/D C standard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TII are planning on progressing a section of dual carriageway from Limerick Junction to Cahir encompassing bypasses of Limerick Junction, Monard, Tipperary Town and Bansha.

This will, if funded, progress to route selection and design and should be ready to start around 2022.

The rest of the project remains suspended.

Thread on the new N24 scheme here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057760256

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

Magnum wrote: »

Just fixing potholes and crumbling footpaths. Needs to be done (especially the center of Tipp Town which is starting to look like a set from the walking dead) but isn't solving the main problems on the route.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

touts wrote: »
    Just fixing potholes and crumbling footpaths. Needs to be done (especially the center of Tipp Town which is starting to look like a set from the walking dead) but isn't solving the main problems on the route.
    TII are to start planning work on a new section of the N24 between Limerick Junction and Cahir, thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057760256

This will not start construction before 2023 at the absolute earliest.

• Advertisement

For all thread followers:

Two schemes have been activated on the N24 by TII:

Cahir-Limerick Junction: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057760256
    Cahir-Waterford: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057826819

Please discuss these stretches in their threads, as this thread will likely be locked. The N24 within Limerick is not being upgraded for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

While the road between Limerick and LJ does have a significant portion with wide hard shoulders, is there a significantly lower traffic volume on the road there that renders a DC unneeded?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    While the road between Limerick and LJ does have a significant portion with wide hard shoulders, is there a significantly lower traffic volume on the road there that renders a DC unneeded?

No, in fact the Limerick section would be busier than a lot of the road through Tipperary

Most likely, we are getting Limerick Junction to Waterford because:

* LJ-Cahir is the worst stretch of the route
    *Clonmel needs a second bypass
    *Bypasses for Carrick and Mooncoin
    *Tipp and South KK politicians shouting louder

One would assume that if you were building the majority of the road, you'd just build the whole road.

Logic evades us sometimes in Ireland though!

One would assume that if you were building the majority of the road, you'd just build the whole road.

Logic evades us sometimes in Ireland though!

N24 through Limerick can be down down the road. Limerick is already getting the M20, M21, and 2 town bypasses in the near future

6 months ago the N24 was completely off the table. Now 90km of it is being progressed. A fairly decent jump to be fair

marno21 wrote: »
    N24 through Limerick can be down down the road. Limerick is already getting the M20, M21, and 2 town bypasses in the near future

6 months ago the N24 was completely off the table. Now 90km of it is being progressed. A fairly decent jump to be fair

I don't subscribe to this idea of "Limericks getting x, y and z so it shouldn't get w", I think it's very representative of the parish ideology that we need to get away from. If there's a need, it should be built. Of course this won't happen, but that's the way it should be in an ideal world.

Fully agreed on the second point, I didn't think we'd be hearing a peep about the N24/M24 until the M20 was near completion.

I don't subscribe to this idea of "Limericks getting x, y and z so it shouldn't get w", I think it's very representative of the parish ideology that we need to get away from. If there's a need, it should be built. Of course this won't happen, but that's the way it should be in an ideal world.

Fully agreed on the second point, I didn't think we'd be hearing a peep about the N24/M24 until the M20 was near completion.
    Unfortunately, that's the way Irish politics is and an N24 dualled through Limerick instead of a DC in Mayo/Sligo isn't going to do anything for votes.

I am surprised that so much of the N24 has been reactivated. What has been reactivated was originally 6 seperate schemes (part of Pallasgreen-Bansha, Bansha-Cahir, Cahir-Rathkeevin, Clonmel BP, Carrick BP, Mooncoin BP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just looking at the N24 on the new 2040 plan, the map shows a nice big blue line from Waterford as far as Limerick Junction and then - nothing.
    The following sections of the national road network will be progressed through pre-appraisal and early planning during 2018 to prioritise projects which are proceeding to construction in the National Development Plan.

• N24 Cahir to Limerick Junction
    • N24 Waterford to Cahir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ Archer Helpful Veil

Just looking at the N24 on the new 2040 plan, the map shows a nice big blue line from Waterford as far as Limerick Junction and then - nothing.

Link?

• Advertisement
Advertisement