Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethereum

• 12-10-2017 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The fact that theres not even a thread yet says it all really, what is going on with ETH? Its completely stuck around $300. Are all the ICOs liquidating at this level or something? All the momentum seems to have fallen away. I have about 50% left compared to when I started with it and tempted to dump everything and wait and see what happens with BTC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

Right now it's a coiled spring that is just waiting to explode. I think what you're seeing with Bitcoin right now is a lot of new interest coming into the market. As these people get accustomed to it and start understanding it and blockchain better, they will latch onto the potential around Ethereum. I feel that if Bitcoin is likely to be a 10x from here, then Ethereum could potentially be a 50x. You just have to be patient enough to buy and hold.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

If you look at the history of bitcoin, it was a slow gradual rise and then *Boom* off it took..

picture.php?albumid=1224&pictureid=15443

And thats not even showing its full history, only from May 2013 till now.

Ethereum could be exactly the same.. only time will tell.

I'm gonna pick up a few and sit on them, see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah Im still going to hold, average around €156 and Ive been lucky with a couple of trades aswell, Im definitely leaning in a bearish direction though.

Small pump this morning but even that's being dumped now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Thargor wrote: »
    Small pump this morning but even that's being dumped now...

Not much of a chance of the alt coins really gaining any traction at the moment, especially when the price of BTC increases by €400 overnight alone.... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Tempted to sell and realise a profit of a few hundred quid. But I think I'll HODL.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

unkel wrote: »
    Tempted to sell and realise a profit of a few hundred quid. But I think I'll HODL.

Thoughts?

Definitely HODL. It'll be $1000 by Christmas.

LOL, you really expect that?

LOL, you really expect that?

No I don't really :D.

But I'm convinced on its long term viability in a real world business use. It is more akin to fiat than any other crypto e.g. can be affected by inflation.

If/When businesses move en-masse to digital currencies, I think it will be to cryptos that correlate closely to fiat. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I might buy €1000 worth as a long term gamble.
    What's the best way to buy and forget and hope to make some profit in a few years?

mickdw wrote: »
    I might buy €1000 worth as a long term gamble.
    What's the best way to buy and forget and hope to make some profit in a few years?

Buy on kraken. Transfer to secure and backed up offline wallet.

I'm sorry ETH, I take it all back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

I'm sorry ETH, I take it all back!
    But in real terms it's not really doing well at all, is it?
    If you examine Eth as a function of the BTC/ETH pair you'll see that ETH has dropped from a 0.10 rate against BTC in July to a current rate of 0.06. That's a serious fall in any language.
    Let's face it, many -- if not most - people have bought their ETH with BTC.
    And in the case of those who have bought ETH with fiat they have suffered a loss as against if they had put that money into BTC.
    Anyway you look at it, ETH has not had a good last three months at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Spoilsport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

:D

Anyway you look at it, ETH has not had a good last three months at all.

The way I look at it, is the glass is half full.

14th July $196
    14th Oct $343

That's a 75% increase. What is disappointing about that?

JaCrispy wrote: »
    The way I look at it, is the glass is half full.

14th July $196
    14th Oct $343

That's a 75% increase. What is disappointing about that?

Ha, you picked the July crash as a comparison?
    You could have picked the July ATH of ~460 either and show an approximate 20% reduction.

Ha, you picked the July crash as a comparison?
    You could have picked the July ATH of ~460 either and show an approximate 20% reduction.

The original poster was talking about the last 3 months. I picked exactly three months from today.

When I quoted the post I thought it was fairly obvious I was talking it direct context to it......perhaps not :rolleyes:

ETH has dropped from a 0.10 rate against BTC in July to a current rate of 0.06. That's a serious fall in any language.

One could argue that ETH is undervalued at the moment based on that. Main reason I'm not yet realising my ETH profit even though it is tempting at close enough to €300 :)

• Advertisement

Painful watching this slow drip... Anyone got any reasons for optimism beyond hopefully long term adoption of smart contracts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Painful watching this slow drip... Anyone got any reasons for optimism beyond hopefully long term adoption of smart contracts etc?

There is no other reason for optimism - it's the point of Ethereum!

Bitcoin's first "slow drip" lasted 1.5 years until the next surge.
    After that surge? 7 months of a slow drip.
    After that? 3 Years before it started pushing to the next ATH.

Read the stories of everybody who regrets selling their BTC off on a dip or while stagnant.

Don't do the same with ETH.

HODL :D

HODL :D

original_24086599.jpg?1403639573

Im just going to start selling half my stack again when it gets up around €265 and buying it back when it crashes back down I think.

265 you say?
    Thunderbirds are go...

265 you say?
    Thunderbirds are go...
    But-but-but this time it could be going to the moon! Safer to hodl :D

And down she goes!

I fecking knew it, you could make a lot of money milking this like a cow, €249 - €265 range. Its done it about 12 times in a row now.

• Advertisement

I fecking knew it, you could make a lot of money milking this like a cow, €249 - €265 range. Its done it about 12 times in a row now.

hmmm I have a few grand resting in coinbase atm, maybe if it goes down further I might move it over to gdax & try a scalp ;)

Advertisement