Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

giving up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It is nice of Apple to finally add face unlocking, wireless charging and other features Windows has had for a couple of years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....new features upping the anti in the mobile wars...

What war. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

beauf wrote: »
    What war. :confused:

VCYJ1vu.jpg

Just became eligible for an upgrade from Three today, and I'm looking at the list of phones and I just don't care about any of them because they all have iOS or Android on them. I think I'll hang onto the upgrade until that October Microsoft event in the faint hope they announce something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

MJohnston wrote: »
    Just became eligible for an upgrade from Three today, and I'm looking at the list of phones and I just don't care about any of them because they all have iOS or Android on them. I think I'll hang onto the upgrade until that October Microsoft event in the faint hope they announce something!

With apple only just catching up with the 950 this week, Microsoft has been able to coast for the last couple of years. Hopefully October wont be their Operation Watch on the Rhine.

• Advertisement

With apple only just catching up with the 950 this week, Microsoft has been able to coast for the last couple of years. Hopefully October wont be their Operation Watch on the Rhine.

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They also announced last week they canned Groove Music and essentially sent out an e-mail asking users to transfer to spotify.

That was a real killer for me, I used it a lot. Spotify seems to be working okay for now though, so I guess the whole thing gets a reprieve from me for now!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I stuck with Groove even after moving to android, thought it was a good service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Ever since my family got a Spotify subscription I stopped using Groove.

The new migration process from Groove to Spotify worked well for me too, all my playlists came over without a problem and my considerable Music Collection (on OneDrive) was mirrored very nicely into Spotify.

My Nokia Windows device is now acting as my backup device in case my main android device fails. I miss some of the functionality but i now use less and less windows, in fact my main consumer laptop now runs ubuntu.

Upgraded my iPad to iOS 11 this week and it's even further away from what I want in an OS, it's a nightmare of gestures and getting far too complex.

I'm hoping that Microsoft are planning to dig a little deeper on their Android stuff and maybe they can get it to a point where it is actually usable day-to-day for people who like the glance-and-forget aspect of Windows.

Ever since my family got a Spotify subscription I stopped using Groove.

The new migration process from Groove to Spotify worked well for me too, all my playlists came over without a problem and my considerable Music Collection (on OneDrive) was mirrored very nicely into Spotify.

My Nokia Windows device is now acting as my backup device in case my main android device fails. I miss some of the functionality but i now use less and less windows, in fact my main consumer laptop now runs ubuntu.

It hasn't actually given me the option to migrate my collection yet as far as I can tell, how did you go about it?

If you install Microsoft Launcher, Outlook, Microsoft Office and Cortana on your android device it actually becomes a quite good tool if you are still in the windows eco system with other devices and services.

Outlook still has some trouble with the way it manages contacts but it's a quite good e-mail/calendar program well integrated with cortana/launcher if you use office365 based e-mail.

Cortana is working quite well with the insider build on a workstation (good syncing, pick up where you left off, notifications synchronization, sending sms replies etc.). It also supports the new "home" functionality (nest etc.) in it's android version.

The Launcher is not bad either if you want complete integration into the Microsoft environment (contacts, onedrive etc.), latest update is a quite heavy change to the previous Arrow builds but still good. Not as customizable as other Launchers but a great work environment.

Microsoft has really got a lot of apps and features on android that make it easy to use office365/microsoft environment with android phones.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It hasn't actually given me the option to migrate my collection yet as far as I can tell, how did you go about it?

The function is currently for insiders only.

The function is currently for insiders only.

That explains it, I presume everyone else is getting it later in the month (or that's what the e-mail made it sound like anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It looks like OS and handset development will be a bit slow in the immediate future for Windows Mobile if the following is to be believed:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/windows-phone-dead-microsoft-mobile-smartphone-joe-belfiore-a7991356.html

It looks like OS and handset development will be a bit slow in the immediate future for Windows Mobile if the following is to be believed:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/windows-phone-dead-microsoft-mobile-smartphone-joe-belfiore-a7991356.html

That's the exact same news that 28064212 posted above, but I'll repeat: this has been known since April 2017, when they moved WMobile onto the feature2 branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's the exact same news that 28064212 posted above, but I'll repeat: this has been known since April 2017, when they moved WMobile onto the feature2 branch.

Exactly. And it gets tiring when people don't pay attention! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

Well that's the end of my WP experience.

I have had the Lumia 800, 820, 930 and last but in no way least the 950.

My 950 has been acting up over the last few months with battery issues and restarts. 3 new batteries have cured the problem temporarily but 6 weeks each and the issues reappear and the batteries are knackered.

Have now had no option but to switch to Android and to be honest I am pleasantly surprised by how useable the latest Android is is. Things work ! I didn't realise how compromised a lot of the official apps for WP were compared to there Android counterparts.

I loved the WP interface and it had some really great features but so far the new phone is a reasonably pleasurable experience.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

They'll have to prise my MS phone from my cold dead hands.

I actually have migrated back onto a Windows Phone for work purposes because it just works flawless with the corporate environment and is pleasant to use.

They offered me an iPhone/android but I rather use my old Windows Phone as it does everything I need for the corporate environment, sure one could replicate most with android but it just so easy to use and some programs are just better than their android counterparts.

Private I still use an Android device due to the application gap but the corporate apps are all available either as windows or internet apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Is there a radio on the 535? And where is it?

What happened to all my pics on Zunes? Where did they go, and are they gone for good? Thousands of them

tampopo wrote: »
    Is there a radio on the 535? And where is it?

What happened to all my pics on Zunes? Where did they go, and are they gone for good? Thousands of them

There's an FM Radio app, or was anyway. I don't know what your second question means.

Thanks.

Several years ago, when I connected my phone to a pc, it transferred all my pics to Zunes, presumably Microsoft's photo cloud. Haven't heard of it for years and I wondered if anyone had a similar experience

Thanks.

Several years ago, when I connected my phone to a pc, it transferred all my pics to Zunes, presumably Microsoft's photo cloud. Haven't heard of it for years and I wondered if anyone had a similar experience

Maybe try logging into OneDrive, Microsoft's cloud storage service, and see if they got transferred to that? Use whatever account you used back then, I suppose?

Is there a radio on the 535? And where is it?...

Microsoft removed the stock radio in some of the updates. Dunno if your is effected. You have to download a radio app if it is.

Thanks.

I don't think Zunes was cloud service.

beauf wrote: »
    I don't think Zunes was cloud service.

I see. Do you know what it was?
    I don't expect to see them again but thought here would be the best place to ask

• Advertisement

OneDrive is the only Microsoft cloud photo storage service still available, so if it's not there, it won't be anywhere.

Advertisement