Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

• 20-09-2017 6:14pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

10000 post limit reached in the previous thread.
    Brand new thread opened.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Ciarraí abú!

I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

it was good to see one of second tier counties win the minor.

Keep with it, train every night and stay away from the drugs,,,, :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭munster87

Bonniedog wrote: »
    it was good to see one of second tier counties win the minor.

Keep with it, train every night and stay away from the drugs,,,, :-)

It's mad that a few years ago Dublin had as many minor All Ireland's as Kerry. 4 behind now. Only 10 behind now in senior titles, that'll have to be pushed out again in next few years! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭munster87

Any chance Saturday's quarter finals will be streamed online somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement

Templenoe V An Ghaeltacht in the Intermediate Final,that should be cracking game

https://twitter.com/Templenoeabu/status/911611999532077057

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Stacks relegated and well beaten in the town league final.
    Now they are out and we're into a semi and still not at our best- happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I hear Tommy Walsh played well... I wonder will he come back to the Kerry setup?

Anyone at it? How did Clifford play?

• Templenoe V An Ghaeltacht in the Intermediate Final,that should be cracking game

https://twitter.com/Templenoeabu/status/911611999532077057

Great going by Templenoe after least year's crushing disappointment v Kenmare in what was one of the biggest games in the history of the club. That was a real blow, know a few who thought it might signal the end of the incredible run they've had in recent years, charging up through divisions, winning novice and junior trophies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

Fitzmaurice staying on for another year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭acequion

dobman88 wrote: »
    Fitzmaurice staying on for another year :(

Is that confirmed? Very bad news if so. You'd think he'd do the decent thing after all his failures and step down.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

acequion wrote: »
    Is that confirmed? Very bad news if so. You'd think he'd do the decent thing after all his failures and step down.:mad::mad:

Hadn't been announced by the CB but it's a done deal

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/eamonn-fitzmaurice-expected-to-stay-on-as-kerry-football-boss-807370.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭50HX

harsh......i thought he was brave to take it on...nobody wanted it back then
    he won an all ireland, fair enough he's made a few mistakes but other than the manager who wins an allireland who doesn't make mistakes

50HX wrote: »
    harsh......i thought he was brave to take it on...nobody wanted it back then
    he won an all ireland, fair enough he's made a few mistakes but other than the manager who wins an allireland who doesn't make mistakes

The emboldened bit above is unclear?

But I don't think my comment is in any way harsh. Kerry is a county with hugely high standards and where success is expected and demanded. That's why we've won 36 All Irelands,still a full 10 clear of our nearest rivals,the Dubs,despite our much smaller population. That is what Paudi O Shea meant in his colourful remark about us being animals,ironic from another manager who didn't want to step aside when he had outlived his uses. And I'm glad Paudi made that comment because it's true. Kerry have been so successful because we have made our own high standards.

Now if you're saying above that EF has made mistakes like other AI winning managers I don't agree. You just don't win AIs these days if you make a lot of mistakes. What mistakes has Gavin made? Brian Cody? EF, on the other hand makes them constantly. The crazy tactics of this year, the crazy moves of other years such as taking off a scoring forward and putting on an ageing defender. Such as not starting his captain. Such as playing his brother in law only back in from retirement.And how do you explain so many mal functions by so many players at big matches? Plus the propensity to keep playing the older guys and excellent young players getting bored on the panel. One AI is feck all in Kerry. Stop focusing on that and look at all the big ones we've lost since. The common denominator in those loses is EF.

I don't buy this notion that there's no one else out there. I think that's nonsense. Managing Kerry over the next few years would be an enthralling challenge for an innovative new manager.

Unless he has to keep the seat warm for Jack O Connor! That too would be a depressing prospect because what we need is somebody new.

what i ment was when you win an AI v few point out mistakes along they way, when you don't win it's easily highlighted, case in point being mayo and changing the keeper, if they'd played AO'S at full back in this years final ala v kerry then that would be the talking point

didn't hear much rumblings in 2014 after a tactically brillant game v donegal
    doubt 2014 would have resulted in an AI if all the older players were culled at the end of 2013

i agree with some of your other points but we've failed to win because we don't/didn't have the players, yes some good young lads are coming through the minors and u21 in the past 2 seasons and some these guys need to be filtered into the senior set up, EF needs to roll the dice a little more

do you believe the players were there to win an AI in the last 3 years.. i don't..

the common denominator the ones we've lost is EF but also the players

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

what i ment was when you win an AI v few point out mistakes along they way, when you don't win it's easily highlighted, case in point being mayo and changing the keeper, if they'd played AO'S at full back in this years final ala v kerry then that would be the talking point

didn't hear much rumblings in 2014 after a tactically brillant game v donegal
    doubt 2014 would have resulted in an AI if all the older players were culled at the end of 2013

i agree with some of your other points but we've failed to win because we don't/didn't have the players, yes some good young lads are coming through the minors and u21 in the past 2 seasons and some these guys need to be filtered into the senior set up, EF needs to roll the dice a little more

do you believe the players were there to win an AI in the last 3 years.. i don't..

the common denominator the ones we've lost is EF but also the players
    Ya but that is one all ireland in 6 years and kerry probably wouldn't be in that final at all but for a last ditch attempt by introducing kieran donaghy when all other options were exhausted. No tatical masterclass there.

I also think the final was overhyped as a tatical masterclass. The best tactic in that game resulted in a goal after 49 seconds and that tactic wasn't even fitz's idea.

I like you don't believe that kerry would of won an all ireland in the last 3 years by introducing new players but introducing new players from the successful minor teams would of been progress and a step in the right direction.

I think kerry would be a lot closer to winning an all ireland now if they had introduced new players. Instead eamonn fitz sticks with the same team over and over again and it's holding kerry back imo.

by no means am I EF biggest fan.. i just disagreed with the statement that he should step down with a year left to run

yes Kerry have v high standards... players should be held accountable as well

name a kerry 15 from 2015-2017 that would have won AI??

John Boy26 sums up pretty much everything I believe. The most important being that with better, more clever management we'd be a lot closer to winning our next AI. Keeping on EF is only going to prolong the wait. There has to be better out there than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

by no means am I EF biggest fan.. i just disagreed with the statement that he should step down with a year left to run

yes Kerry have v high standards... players should be held accountable as well

name a kerry 15 from 2015-2017 that would have won AI??

But this goes back to managment. Since Fitzmaurice we have had less of a turn over of players than for a long time. In any sucessfull team tou will have a core of players that will have 10+ year careers, you will have players with 6-8 year careers and those that have 3-6 year careers. usually they are split equally across a panel.

E£ven with the great Kerry team there was only 5 that collected 8 All Ireland medals. another abou 5-6 collected 6-7 and you had 4-5 that collected 3. There was a turn over of players. In 2013 EF bought in 4-5 players and since then virtuall zilch. You have a core of 10+ players that are there a very long time and another 4-5 that only make cameo appearances.

As other posters alluded in Kerry we demand very high standards or as POS says Kerry supporters are the ''worst type of animal''. EF has show a propensity to stick with older players we are 2-3 years behind the game. then maybe we need Dublin to do 5 or 6 in a row to get our act togeather.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The emboldened bit above is unclear?

But I don't think my comment is in any way harsh. Kerry is a county with hugely high standards and where success is expected and demanded. That's why we've won 36 All Irelands,still a full 10 clear of our nearest rivals,the Dubs,despite our much smaller population. That is what Paudi O Shea meant in his colourful remark about us being animals,ironic from another manager who didn't want to step aside when he had outlived his uses. And I'm glad Paudi made that comment because it's true. Kerry have been so successful because we have made our own high standards.

Now if you're saying above that EF has made mistakes like other AI winning managers I don't agree. You just don't win AIs these days if you make a lot of mistakes. What mistakes has Gavin made? Brian Cody? EF, on the other hand makes them constantly. The crazy tactics of this year, the crazy moves of other years such as taking off a scoring forward and putting on an ageing defender. Such as not starting his captain. Such as playing his brother in law only back in from retirement.And how do you explain so many mal functions by so many players at big matches? Plus the propensity to keep playing the older guys and excellent young players getting bored on the panel. One AI is feck all in Kerry. Stop focusing on that and look at all the big ones we've lost since. The common denominator in those loses is EF.

I don't buy this notion that there's no one else out there. I think that's nonsense. Managing Kerry over the next few years would be an enthralling challenge for an innovative new manager.

Unless he has to keep the seat warm for Jack O Connor! That too would be a depressing prospect because what we need is somebody new.

With the exception of this year, the common denominator in every game EF has lost as manager is DUBLIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

proposal to be put in place to give Fitzmaurice 3 years and not 1.

he needs a serious step up if he is to make it a success as this years performance and the lack of youth being given a chance, just isnt acceptable.

Statement from the County Board

Statement by Tim Murphy, Chairman Kerry County Board

I am pleased to advise that the Kerry Senior Football Team manager, Éamonn Fitzmaurice, has confirmed that he will continue in his role for the 2018 season.

His current management team will remain in place and additions to the backroom team will be announced in due course.

This decision is very welcome and removes any uncertainty, allowing us to begin our preparations for the forthcoming season.

Despite winning the Allianz League and Munster football titles this year and the continuing unprecedented success at under-age and schools grades, we all fully recognise and acknowledge the great hunger for senior championship success among the Kerry GAA community.

Working closely with Éamonn and his management team, the Kerry County Board is determined to provide the resources and supports necessary in order to ensure that Kerry achieves this success as soon as possible.

To that end, the County Board and the Senior Team management have agreed to develop in the coming months, a 3 year programme of supports for the senior panel, with particular emphasis on player development and progression together with strength and conditioning. The imminent completion of the Centre of Excellence in Currans will enable us to deliver these programmes within a state of the art facility in a co-ordinated and streamlined approach.

In order to provide stability and underpin this programme I will be proposing that Éamonn Fitzmaurice be ratified as senior manager for a further two year term (2019/2020) at the next Co. Committee Meeting on 16th October next. This proposal was unanimously supported by the Executive of the Kerry County Board at a meeting last evening.

I am very confident that a strong collective effort will ensure that the phenomenal success we have achieved at minor level will be translated into senior success in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Things I'd like to see next year would be, in no particular order:

A change to our S&C set up, lagging behind here. Can't see Donie Buckley coming back, but an outside the box individual with a different background might be the way forward.

A Goalkeeping Coach - Liam Hassett does not count.

A couple of young players to get their chance in McGrath cup and League and cement their place in the starting 15.

Play Kerry football where possible and stop attempting to be a chameleon team. Impose our style of play on others and not vice versa. Our minors have done this to great effect the last number of seasons.

What happened Gavin Crowley this year,played in the league but was no where to be seen in the championship

I do hope this "shadow" panel that Eamon Fitzmaurice said that were training with the senior panel will all get a chance to push the more regular panel members for a pace next year,I think there is a few lads on the panel a long time now that might have become too comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dublin look good for the seven in a row now. AS well I hear Paul Galvin is comining out of retirement.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

What happened Gavin Crowley this year,played in the league but was no where to be seen in the championship

Alot of things made no sense this year. 4 or 5 lads that either played or were on panel in the final against the Dubs, not seen for the rest of the year.

Fitz is too loyal to some of the older lads and we were badly caught this year. the team is stale and at a crossroads now. theres 5 or 6 who need to be moved on and replaced with the lads who are now 21/22 and made keen to make a claim.

id have accepted a mediocre year had we bedded in 5 or 6 young lads and we actually see signs of progression and promise but that didnt happen this year, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

He is what Kerry needs? Any better alternatives?

Amprodude wrote: »
    He is what Kerry needs? Any better alternatives?

buy-pet-monkey-tennessee-800x800.jpg

• Advertisement

Tim murphy is deluded imo if he is considering giving E Fitz an extra 2 years. I wonder would he be so enthusiastic about giving him an extra two years if kerry hadn't won the AI in 2014, an all ireland that papered over all of the cracks.

Hardly no new players have been brought on. There has been literally no development of the underage talent available in kerry. Throwing a few lads on in the league and then forgetting about them come championship is just not good enough.

Kerry badly need a change of manager for this to happen I think. I know it's not easy to replace a manager but I think kerry needs to do it if the don't want to be held back any further.

Any changes fitz makes next year will be as little as possible and will only be influenced by outside pressures or retirements.

Advertisement