Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Best of luck to Clanmaurice today in the Junior Club Camogie final against Kilmessan of Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Crokes well beaten in the end. Really poor it sounds like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Some win by an Gaeltacht, dominated from start to finish although it seems that the opposition were poor.

Surprised to see crokes beaten but maybe it’s no harm, Eamon can have a look at the likes of White, Burns and maybe even Casey during the league now as they won’t be tied up with the club.

mickeyk wrote:
    Surprised to see crokes beaten but maybe it’s no harm, Eamon can have a look at the likes of White, Burns and maybe even Casey during the league now as they won’t be tied up with the club.

And most importantly Shane Murphy.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    And most importantly Shane Murphy.

Absolutely, saw him several times this year and his kickouts were perfect, although he wasn’t overly pressured by the opposition. Would be very interested to see him between the sticks for Kerry, he looks the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Murphy is almost being touted as the second coming of christ himself. Pulled off 2 excellent saves today, but numerous kick-outs went astray today, as they have done in numerous other games. I'm happy that he won't be club-tied so he has a chance to prove himself at inter-county level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Benildus wrote: »
    Crokes by 6 or 7 points I reckon.

Nemo aren't great, the standard of club football in Cork is poor at present.

:eek:

All jokes aside, a most enjoyable game. I felt Nemo would have a right good cut off Crokes, but I didn't think they would beat them as convincingly as they did.
    Crokes keeper really kept them in it in the first half with 2 great stops when Nemo were running Crokes ragged.
    Luke Connolly ran the show for Nemo, Crokes couldnt handle him, 10 points a great tally.
    Fair to say they should have won by more than 5.

Same As wrote:
    Murphy is almost being touted as the second coming of christ himself. Pulled off 2 excellent saves today, but numerous kick-outs went astray today, as they have done in numerous other games. I'm happy that he won't be club-tied so he has a chance to prove himself at inter-county level.

I don't think he's the second coming, but it will be good to get him playing in the League and like you say, get a chance to prove himself.

Same As wrote: »
    Bit of an exaggeration there, he has been very good any time I’ve seen him and it has been a problem position for years. Let’s see how he does if / when he gets his chance

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

Very hard to play against a low sun. O Neill 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Same As wrote: »

Kickouts will be different next year. The ball must pass the 21 meter line as far as I know and cannot be collected inside it. This will limit the area the ball can be kicked into so teams will have to have a long kickouts strategy as well as a short kickout. It may well be that kicking long and accepting a 50/50 contest will need to be put in place by teams as the risk of kicking into an area 20-40 metres from own goal may be too risky

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

mickeyk wrote: »
    Absolutely, saw him several times this year and his kickouts were perfect, although he wasn’t overly pressured by the opposition. Would be very interested to see him between the sticks for Kerry, he looks the real deal.

Watched the Crokes Nemo game on Sunday and his kickouts were awful. Numerous times he completely missed his target with accuracy and also with distance. I was actually surprised at how poor the kickouts were, and was a mjor factor in the first half points for Nemo. Pulled off a couple of good saves, but they also came from his kickouts being won uncontested by Nemo. Wouldnt know him or see him much, but you'd hope that was just a one off so if his kickouts are usually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

bruschi wrote: »
    Watched the Crokes Nemo game on Sunday and his kickouts were awful. Numerous times he completely missed his target with accuracy and also with distance. I was actually surprised at how poor the kickouts were, and was a mjor factor in the first half points for Nemo. Pulled off a couple of good saves, but they also came from his kickouts being won uncontested by Nemo. Wouldnt know him or see him much, but you'd hope that was just a one off so if his kickouts are usually good.
    Was at the game and it was the same for both keepers - some poor kickouts. In the first half I thought Nemo would get penned in solely because of their keeper, then Crokes had similar.

On the whole, he was fine from kickouts, nothing that can't be worked on. He made two phenomenal saves to keep Crokes in the game, he's worth a crack in the league for that alone.

Gavin White too should be given a shot - drove Crokes on when required. Daithi Casey actually played poorly by his standards, a testament to Nemos half back line that none of them stood out, yet Crokes were quietened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Murphy is good from long range frees too from what I've seen.

We have some amount of half back options. Would be nice to get some full backs or half forwards to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 John1010

Any new guys likely to get a run in the league e.g David O'Leary Crokes, David Clifford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

That was a really touching documentary on the great Micko tonight,very enjoyable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

seligehgit wrote: »
    That was a really touching documentary on the great Micko tonight,very enjoyable.

I'm not much of a GAA fan but have to agree - that was a great programme.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

seligehgit wrote: »

Very enjoyable but sad to see how frail he has got in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

I meet him every few days and his decline is very noticeable, especially since his wife passed away a few years back.
    He certainly achieved a lot in his time and would still chat football to you till the cows come home. A real gentleman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Very enjoyable but sad to see how frail he has got in recent years.

Could not get over how frail he got great programe thought when he was out watching the young lads training it was touching. His son John is married to a neighbor of mine often spoke with Micko himself no time for lads drinking dirty beer as he would call it hinting at John.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Saw a recent repeat on TG4 of a 2013 documentary about Paidi O Se.
    I found it absorbing.

Did anyone ever write an autobiography about Paidi O Se ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Saw a recent repeat on TG4 of a 2013 documentary about Paidi O Se.
    I found it absorbing.

Did anyone ever write an autobiography about Paidi O Se ?

Yes. Paidi O Se wrote his autobiography strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Radio5

Donal Keenan wrote a biography since Paidi's death - Paidi 'A Big Life'.

Not much talk here about the NFL with the visit of Donegal just over a week away. Judging by media reports on the number of absentees, it will be a very new Kerry team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

List of who is unavailable for the next while from Eoghan Cormican on Twitter

DTsm6qrXcAADMP6.jpg

Eanna O'Conchuir and Brian O'Beaglaoich are unavailable due to their involvement with An Ghaeltacht in the intermediate semi-final (and possibly final) and Donaghy is still playing basketball.

I'd assume none of the lads in the Medium Term category will be back for the first batch of 3 games in 3 weeks - Donegal at home, Mayo away and Monaghan away. Might make for a tricky enough league, especially if there is much more in the way of injuries/knocks. Lots of the younger prospects will surely get a chance, especially in terms of the subs bench. Could be a bit of chopping and changing in terms of positions in the early games until the options improve. Looks like it will be the backs and midfield are the areas most affected. Also from last year's panel Bryan Sheehan has retires and Johnathon Lyne is no longer part of the panel.

Donegal are missing a few of their bigger names - the big one being Michael Murphy but I don't think they have the same volume of players missing. They also are in the semis of the McKenna Cup versus Armagh which is due to be played this weekend assuming the weather agrees (been cancelled twice already due to weather conditions) I'd imagine the team named for that won't be too far off the team for the Kerry game.

Overall I'd be surprised enough if Kerry ended up in a league final this year.

We have Dublin Mayo and Monaghan away, so there is almost no chance of making the final this year I would think. If we get a good look at some of the younger panelist’s and stay in division one it’s a good league as far as I am concerned.

Going to be interesting to see how we fair out this year in the league,there has been little or no noise about the panel over the last few months, no word on challenge matches played.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    List of who is unavailable for the next while from Eoghan Cormican on Twitter

Eanna O'Conchuir and Brian O'Beaglaoich are unavailable due to their involvement with An Ghaeltacht in the intermediate semi-final (and possibly final) and Donaghy is still playing basketball.

I wonder if that means Cathal Ó Lúing isn't on the panel this year? Thought he had a big year ahead of him this year maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

19 players unavailable??!:eek::eek::eek:

wonder what is the panel for sunday then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Team I'd like to see on Sunday taking into account the 19/20 absentees...

Shane Murphy

Shane Enright Jason Foley Ronan Shanahan

Paul Murphy Andrew Barry Gavin Crowley

Brendan O Sullivan Jack Barry

Daithi Casey Sean O Shea Stephen O Brien

James O Donoghue Paul Geaney Jack Savage

Our Defence is extremely threadbare for the first game anyway, not even sure who they'll have on the bench.

Advertisement