Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit where Credit is due

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

looksee wrote: »
    What would you suggest instead?

I would suggest some pruning of the plants.
    In their current state it's like they are trying to hide something!

I would also like to improvements to the exterior of buildings in the City.
    I would like to see more street sweeping and emptying of bins.
    I would like to see the removal of beggars from our streets!
    More of a Garda Siochana presence on the street and enforcement of the above.

That shouldn't cost too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Read there recently,ibal survey, Waterford city most litter free city in Ireland..above European norms.credit there, they've (council and presumably some others too) consistently performed excellent there last number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Max Powers wrote: »
    Read there recently,ibal survey, Waterford city most litter free city in Ireland..above European norms.credit there, they've (council and presumably some others too) consistently performed excellent there last number of years.

Cleanest city in Ireland last year and leading the way again this year in the first round

C1UofU-WEAEHQo9.jpg:large

http://www.ibal.ie/press_releases/2017/2017-3.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can't 'prune' hanging baskets. You plant them up and get them started then the rest depends on the weather. The weather this year has very suitable for the enthusiastic growth of the baskets so they are as they are.

I don't see what all the other points have to do with the floral displays.

However, if I were very honest I do find the size and quantity of the baskets a little bit over-enthusiastic. I am not going to complain about them though, I would rather see the splendid riot of colour in an otherwise rather grey city than none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

Why don’t you explain what you have contributed to the city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

He made it more pleasant by leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

longshanks wrote: »
    He made it more pleasant by leaving?

Its unbelievable that a fella living in Dublin would complain about the litter in Waterford.

Dublin city centre is like a post apocalyptic landfill, it's actually a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Never mind Dublin, the litter in Waterford is noticeable now, particularly on Broad St for some reason, whereas in previous years the place was spotless.

In fairness the council were busy keeping the place as clean as possible during the Harvest Festival, so well done on that - hopefully the growth in litter over the summer was just a blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭goochy

as a Dub leaving in Cork , he should worry more about his new home that Waterford - pass through Waterford alot while going from Dublin to East Cork - its one of the more pleasant cities/ urban areas in the country - especially considering its not booming as Dublin supposedly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I have to give a shout-out to the NCT centre in Cleaboy. They run pretty much to appointment times and are very fair about the test itself. System works very well in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Two Waterford lads, Jayson Molumby (ex Railway Athletic & Villa) and Dessie Hutchinson (Ex Bohs) played for Premier League Brighton in the League Cup last night versus fellow PL, Bournemouth. Brighton went down 1-0 in extra time but the two lads played the full 120 minutes.

Fair play to them and their local clubs, Jayson is only 18 and Dessie 20. I hope they have a long (and lucrative!) career ahead of them.

http://www.the42.ie/premier-league-club-brighton-started-with-two-waterford-youngsters-3606772-Sep2017/

Imagine if the Blues could line out like this (some players out of position and Hunty out of retirement but, hey, if you're good enough!):

GK: Brian Murphy (Cardiff City)

Eddie Nolan (Crewe)
    Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers)
    Jim Goodwin (Alloa Ath Player manager)
    John O'Shea (Sunderland)

Jayson Molumby (Brighton)
    Dessie Hutchinson (Brighton)
    Stephen Hunt (back from the dead)
    Lee O'Connor (Man U - Only a child I know, but what promise)

Noel Hunt (Wigan)
    Daryl Murphy (Notts Forest)

Most are in the twilight of their careers but it is some going for a county of our size to produce that many professional footballers and the 2nd best hurling team in the country.

Did I forget anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Imagine if the Blues could line out like this (some players out of position and Hunty out of retirement but, hey, if you're good enough!):

GK: Brian Murphy (Cardiff City)

Eddie Nolan (Crewe)
    Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers)
    Jim Goodwin (Alloa Ath Player manager)
    John O'Shea (Sunderland)

Jayson Molumby (Brighton)
    Dessie Hutchinson (Brighton)
    Stephen Hunt (back from the dead)
    Lee O'Connor (Man U - Only a child I know, but what promise)

Noel Hunt (Wigan)
    Daryl Murphy (Notts Forest)

Most are in the twilight of their careers but it is some going for a county of our size to produce that many professional footballers and the 2nd best hurling team in the country.

Did I forget anyone?

Jim Beglin. Mick McCarthy's dad is from Tallow I think.

Oh, and Lee is 17 since July. Child is a bit harsh :)

gscully wrote: »
    Jim Beglin. Mick McCarthy's dad is from Tallow I think.

Oh, and Lee is 17 since July. Child is a bit harsh :)

Apologies to Lee.

I was going for fellas who could still swing a leg rather than deliberately omitting, Beglin & McCarthy. Mark Lawrenson's mother was from Ballinroad if we are including all ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Ah...I missed the context of what you were doing

Credit to John Hayes the chainsaw wood carving fella, in the paper there promoting Waterford at the ploughing event with world longest wood carving of a Viking sword with the story of Vikings in Ireland on it.a proud Waterford man by all accounts.the sword is to be put into the VT at some stage.

Credit to John Hayes the chainsaw wood carving fella, in the paper there promoting Waterford at the ploughing event with world longest wood carving of a Viking sword with the story of Vikings in Ireland on it.a proud Waterford man by all accounts.the sword is to be put into the VT at some stage.

That will be quite an attraction, I must say!

This ain't popular but credit to councillors who voted increase LPT increase,I think its a sensible move, we need money for all the things council do, housing, roads, cleaning, festivals, etc.easy for us all and councillors to take populist approach and vote against, need to be sensible though.
    I will be paying it so obviously I'm not happy about that but i can see it makes sense, especially in light of us looking for money from govt for north quays, the optics of it look better,i.e.we putting up money/raising it ourselves.
    Not popular but good move IMO

The Ian Dempsey breakfast show is live from Ballygunner School on Friday from 7 - 9. There was a national competition run by Keelings where they invited short essays on why breakfast is the such an important meal and one of the fifth class pupils won. The prize is the Ian Dempsey show and €10K cash! Very handy money for the school and fair play to the pupil.

I would like to congratulate all those involved in the production of Jesus Christ Superstar. Just home after the performance and to say that it was just fantastic might be a slight understatement!

How we keep producing such talent is just amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Credit to John Halligan to stepping in and stopping World War 3 between the United States and North Korea.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Credit to the organisers of Winterval , looks bigger and better than ever this year, city was buzzing this evening

Dr Ray Griffin in wit comes out with some shocking stats/reports about Waterford/SE lack of gov't investment, pathetic performance of IDA, etc.in the paper this week.grim but very good figures which put the inequality here in SE compared to other regions front and centre in any debate..fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

I walked up the Stoney Steps or Kings Terrace, to give it it’s official name, the other day. The council are after power washing the whole lane and it looks spotless. I know this is a very minor thing but it is time spent on minor things that makes a city look well. Fair play to the council for doing things like this and more of it please.

Credit to enda o'doherty, great podcast of his story on Irishman abroad.

Dr Ray Griffin in wit comes out with some shocking stats/reports about Waterford/SE lack of gov't investment, pathetic performance of IDA, etc.in the paper this week.grim but very good figures which put the inequality here in SE compared to other regions front and centre in any debate..fair play

And tell me that you needed someone to point this out to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Eyecatchers staff- a pleasure to deal with and the business is so efficient. After spending a year watching the 100 staff members of Specsavers dashing around like headless chickens doing everything BUT serve the customer I went with Eyecatchers on the recommendation of a mate. Very satisfied- you are dealt with straight away, and your appointment time is always kept. Much more pleasant experience than Specsavers, where they not only ignore customers but get orders and dates wrong. If anyone is after a decent opticians, I would highly recommend Eyecatchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Had to bring my poor Mam to an outpatients appointment in UHW this morning. The staff were outstanding. Difficult enough for families and their loved ones to deal with certain situations, they went over and above for us and the other people attending appointments. I swear these amazing people who make a huge difference in people's lives do not get paid nearly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

crustybla wrote: »
    Had to bring my poor Mam to an outpatients appointment in UHW this morning. The staff were outstanding. Difficult enough for families and their loved ones to deal with certain situations, they went over and above for us and the other people attending appointments. I swear these amazing people who make a huge difference in people's lives do not get paid nearly enough.

Its a thankless job.

• Advertisement

Credit to the woman behind the bar in the Reg yesterday. I dropped in there for lunch, and while I was waiting, she gave some French-speaking visitors their order (or some part of it) on the house, because it had taken a long time to be served to their table. Not sure whether this is in-house policy or at her discretion, but it left me with a very good impression.

Not only that, but when she saw that they were fascinated by the decor and range of drinks behind the bar, she offered to let them in behind the bar and take their picture. Definite brownie points on TripAdvisor!

Advertisement