Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Credit where Credit is due

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Congrats to the senior hurlers.
    Marvellous effort.

It has been many years since we had a championship win over Kilkenny which made this even more sweet.

1959 ..... 2017 ...... maybe this is the year to win the All Ireland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

Congrats to the senior hurlers.
    Marvellous effort.

It has been many years since we had a championship win over Kilkenny which made this even more sweet.

1969 ..... 2017 ...... maybe this is the year to win the All Ireland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

deisemum wrote: »

Oops, finger trouble :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Massive credit to all involved in spraoi organisation.loads of volunteers too, young, old, councillors out collecting for next year spraoi,,regular Joe's volunteered to organise, help and collect.amazing work Waterford...special mention for younger people volunteering, they get enough stick in media about being snow flakes, phone obsessed, not a clue etc.they're the future of spraoi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

http://www.wlrfm.com/2017/07/28/bank-of-ireland-is-looking-for-waterford-entrepreneurs-to-contact-it-with-ideas-for-a-startup/

Great credit is due to all the people behind Boxworks on Patrick Street (don’t want to mention names as I don’t know them all). 19 businesses and over a hundred people are based there now. It is not all about shops in the city centre. Things like this are just as important to the vibrancy of the city centre and its future.

BBM77 wrote: »
    http://www.wlrfm.com/2017/07/28/bank-of-ireland-is-looking-for-waterford-entrepreneurs-to-contact-it-with-ideas-for-a-startup/

Great credit is due to all the people behind Boxworks on Patrick Street (don’t want to mention names as I don’t know them all). 19 businesses and over a hundred people are based there now. It is not all about shops in the city centre. Things like this are just as important to the vibrancy of the city centre and its future.

Absolutely, good post.I think its fella called Flash, revolution manager set it up.

http://www.wlrfm.com/2017/08/08/new-arts-centre-for-waterford/

Likewise on the vibrancy of the city centre theme. This new arts centre deserved great credit to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

A big pat on the back for Bus Eireann, Waterford for EVENTUALLY running a

service direct to Dublin from Waterford via Carlow! If only they would run one from Dublin a little later in the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Gillman1998

I must say I find the lack of local bus services on a Sunday odd, particularly last weekend when Spraoi was on.

I went shopping for shoes yesterday. Like a lot of men this is a big deal. So many thanks to Val in Debenhams and Dermot in Shaws whose service was superb and whose shoes I did indeed buy. Well done lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

The floral displays along the Quay sponsored by the Granville and the displays over by the train station are fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,883 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Waterford senior hurling squad and management

its going to be a brillent few weeks around the county and hopefully we will be looking forward to a victorious homecoming in 3 weeks time

Waterford walls..great job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Max Powers wrote: »
    Waterford walls..great job

Tough day yesterday for them, weather certainly didn't help. What I saw was nice, but some weren't completed around the Granary and Garter Lane area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Revolution in John Street won the Best Whiskey Bar in Ireland award last night at the Skybar awards.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Harvest festival was great again...fair play organisers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Harvest festival was great again...fair play organisers
    Was there many around for it?

deisemum wrote: »
    The floral displays along the Quay sponsored by the Granville and the displays over by the train station are fab.

Tacky!

Deiseen wrote: »
    Was there many around for it?

Good crowds yeah...hard to estimate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tacky!

What would you suggest instead?

looksee wrote: »
    What would you suggest instead?

I would suggest some pruning of the plants.
    In their current state it's like they are trying to hide something!

I would also like to improvements to the exterior of buildings in the City.
    I would like to see more street sweeping and emptying of bins.
    I would like to see the removal of beggars from our streets!
    More of a Garda Siochana presence on the street and enforcement of the above.

That shouldn't cost too much?

Read there recently,ibal survey, Waterford city most litter free city in Ireland..above European norms.credit there, they've (council and presumably some others too) consistently performed excellent there last number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Read there recently,ibal survey, Waterford city most litter free city in Ireland..above European norms.credit there, they've (council and presumably some others too) consistently performed excellent there last number of years.

Cleanest city in Ireland last year and leading the way again this year in the first round

C1UofU-WEAEHQo9.jpg:large

http://www.ibal.ie/press_releases/2017/2017-3.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can't 'prune' hanging baskets. You plant them up and get them started then the rest depends on the weather. The weather this year has very suitable for the enthusiastic growth of the baskets so they are as they are.

I don't see what all the other points have to do with the floral displays.

However, if I were very honest I do find the size and quantity of the baskets a little bit over-enthusiastic. I am not going to complain about them though, I would rather see the splendid riot of colour in an otherwise rather grey city than none at all.

Why don’t you explain what you have contributed to the city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

He made it more pleasant by leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

longshanks wrote: »
    He made it more pleasant by leaving?

Its unbelievable that a fella living in Dublin would complain about the litter in Waterford.

Dublin city centre is like a post apocalyptic landfill, it's actually a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Never mind Dublin, the litter in Waterford is noticeable now, particularly on Broad St for some reason, whereas in previous years the place was spotless.

In fairness the council were busy keeping the place as clean as possible during the Harvest Festival, so well done on that - hopefully the growth in litter over the summer was just a blip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭goochy

as a Dub leaving in Cork , he should worry more about his new home that Waterford - pass through Waterford alot while going from Dublin to East Cork - its one of the more pleasant cities/ urban areas in the country - especially considering its not booming as Dublin supposedly is.

I have to give a shout-out to the NCT centre in Cleaboy. They run pretty much to appointment times and are very fair about the test itself. System works very well in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Two Waterford lads, Jayson Molumby (ex Railway Athletic & Villa) and Dessie Hutchinson (Ex Bohs) played for Premier League Brighton in the League Cup last night versus fellow PL, Bournemouth. Brighton went down 1-0 in extra time but the two lads played the full 120 minutes.

Fair play to them and their local clubs, Jayson is only 18 and Dessie 20. I hope they have a long (and lucrative!) career ahead of them.

http://www.the42.ie/premier-league-club-brighton-started-with-two-waterford-youngsters-3606772-Sep2017/

Imagine if the Blues could line out like this (some players out of position and Hunty out of retirement but, hey, if you're good enough!):

GK: Brian Murphy (Cardiff City)

Eddie Nolan (Crewe)
    Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers)
    Jim Goodwin (Alloa Ath Player manager)
    John O'Shea (Sunderland)

Jayson Molumby (Brighton)
    Dessie Hutchinson (Brighton)
    Stephen Hunt (back from the dead)
    Lee O'Connor (Man U - Only a child I know, but what promise)

Noel Hunt (Wigan)
    Daryl Murphy (Notts Forest)

Most are in the twilight of their careers but it is some going for a county of our size to produce that many professional footballers and the 2nd best hurling team in the country.

Did I forget anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Imagine if the Blues could line out like this (some players out of position and Hunty out of retirement but, hey, if you're good enough!):

GK: Brian Murphy (Cardiff City)

Eddie Nolan (Crewe)
    Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers)
    Jim Goodwin (Alloa Ath Player manager)
    John O'Shea (Sunderland)

Jayson Molumby (Brighton)
    Dessie Hutchinson (Brighton)
    Stephen Hunt (back from the dead)
    Lee O'Connor (Man U - Only a child I know, but what promise)

Noel Hunt (Wigan)
    Daryl Murphy (Notts Forest)

Most are in the twilight of their careers but it is some going for a county of our size to produce that many professional footballers and the 2nd best hurling team in the country.

Did I forget anyone?

Jim Beglin. Mick McCarthy's dad is from Tallow I think.

Oh, and Lee is 17 since July. Child is a bit harsh :)

gscully wrote: »
    Jim Beglin. Mick McCarthy's dad is from Tallow I think.

Oh, and Lee is 17 since July. Child is a bit harsh :)

Apologies to Lee.

I was going for fellas who could still swing a leg rather than deliberately omitting, Beglin & McCarthy. Mark Lawrenson's mother was from Ballinroad if we are including all ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Ah...I missed the context of what you were doing

Credit to John Hayes the chainsaw wood carving fella, in the paper there promoting Waterford at the ploughing event with world longest wood carving of a Viking sword with the story of Vikings in Ireland on it.a proud Waterford man by all accounts.the sword is to be put into the VT at some stage.

Credit to John Hayes the chainsaw wood carving fella, in the paper there promoting Waterford at the ploughing event with world longest wood carving of a Viking sword with the story of Vikings in Ireland on it.a proud Waterford man by all accounts.the sword is to be put into the VT at some stage.

That will be quite an attraction, I must say!

This ain't popular but credit to councillors who voted increase LPT increase,I think its a sensible move, we need money for all the things council do, housing, roads, cleaning, festivals, etc.easy for us all and councillors to take populist approach and vote against, need to be sensible though.
    I will be paying it so obviously I'm not happy about that but i can see it makes sense, especially in light of us looking for money from govt for north quays, the optics of it look better,i.e.we putting up money/raising it ourselves.
    Not popular but good move IMO

The Ian Dempsey breakfast show is live from Ballygunner School on Friday from 7 - 9. There was a national competition run by Keelings where they invited short essays on why breakfast is the such an important meal and one of the fifth class pupils won. The prize is the Ian Dempsey show and €10K cash! Very handy money for the school and fair play to the pupil.

I would like to congratulate all those involved in the production of Jesus Christ Superstar. Just home after the performance and to say that it was just fantastic might be a slight understatement!

How we keep producing such talent is just amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Credit to John Halligan to stepping in and stopping World War 3 between the United States and North Korea.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Credit to the organisers of Winterval , looks bigger and better than ever this year, city was buzzing this evening

Dr Ray Griffin in wit comes out with some shocking stats/reports about Waterford/SE lack of gov't investment, pathetic performance of IDA, etc.in the paper this week.grim but very good figures which put the inequality here in SE compared to other regions front and centre in any debate..fair play

I walked up the Stoney Steps or Kings Terrace, to give it it’s official name, the other day. The council are after power washing the whole lane and it looks spotless. I know this is a very minor thing but it is time spent on minor things that makes a city look well. Fair play to the council for doing things like this and more of it please.

Credit to enda o'doherty, great podcast of his story on Irishman abroad.

Dr Ray Griffin in wit comes out with some shocking stats/reports about Waterford/SE lack of gov't investment, pathetic performance of IDA, etc.in the paper this week.grim but very good figures which put the inequality here in SE compared to other regions front and centre in any debate..fair play

And tell me that you needed someone to point this out to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Eyecatchers staff- a pleasure to deal with and the business is so efficient. After spending a year watching the 100 staff members of Specsavers dashing around like headless chickens doing everything BUT serve the customer I went with Eyecatchers on the recommendation of a mate. Very satisfied- you are dealt with straight away, and your appointment time is always kept. Much more pleasant experience than Specsavers, where they not only ignore customers but get orders and dates wrong. If anyone is after a decent opticians, I would highly recommend Eyecatchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Had to bring my poor Mam to an outpatients appointment in UHW this morning. The staff were outstanding. Difficult enough for families and their loved ones to deal with certain situations, they went over and above for us and the other people attending appointments. I swear these amazing people who make a huge difference in people's lives do not get paid nearly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

crustybla wrote: »
    Had to bring my poor Mam to an outpatients appointment in UHW this morning. The staff were outstanding. Difficult enough for families and their loved ones to deal with certain situations, they went over and above for us and the other people attending appointments. I swear these amazing people who make a huge difference in people's lives do not get paid nearly enough.

Its a thankless job.

• Advertisement

Credit to the woman behind the bar in the Reg yesterday. I dropped in there for lunch, and while I was waiting, she gave some French-speaking visitors their order (or some part of it) on the house, because it had taken a long time to be served to their table. Not sure whether this is in-house policy or at her discretion, but it left me with a very good impression.

Not only that, but when she saw that they were fascinated by the decor and range of drinks behind the bar, she offered to let them in behind the bar and take their picture. Definite brownie points on TripAdvisor!

Advertisement