Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't we do this?

Options
  • 12-09-2017 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Make a really really powerful telescope that can travel really really fast.

Send it 183 lightyears (taking about 6 days interstellar travel) into space, look back on Earth and find out if Jonathan the "183 year old" tortoise is telling the truth.

What would you do if we had such abilities to view the past...bearing in mind viewing the past would be in GTA overhead camera style until such a time where viewing would be like the magic 3d Google maps God mode.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Would everything be in black and white though?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Work away there mars bar. There's probably a grant for it an all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

That aside, we still have reeling in the years, and the tv3 knock off that wasn't as popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Send it 183 lightyears (taking about 6 days interstellar travel) into space, look back on Earth and find out if Jonathan the "183 year old" tortoise is telling the truth.

What would you do if we had such abilities to view the past...bearing in mind viewing the past would be in GTA overhead camera style until such a time where viewing would be like the magic 3d Google maps God mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What type of propulsion system would you suggest to propel the telescope 183 light years out into space?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

LordSutch wrote: »
    What propulsion system would you suggest for the telescope?

Sonic power propulsion with a bit of boost

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I'm gutted I never thought of this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

What type of propulsion system would you suggest to propel the telescope 183 light years out into space?

The power of wub?

We could point it at the moon and wait to see if anyone really does land on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

We could point it at the moon and wait to see if anyone really does land on it.

Or you could see these.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_retroreflectors_on_the_Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

That's an impressive amount of nonsense in one post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Your Face wrote: »
    That's an impressive amount of nonsense in one post.

Careful now, he might be Dislexic.

I'd like to send it out around 30 years so I can watch 'Manimal' tv series again. The ba5t3rds took it off and said they wont be showing it again pffft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

We are not wasting money on that.

We are going to build a giant space laser and shoot it at random planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Archeron

Red bull and turf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The cost of taxing and insuring that yoke? God forbid you'd meet a checkpoint in it. Jaysus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The Light of Other Days is a good novel on the subject

About viewing the past anyway. I am not clear on how you're getting a telescope 183 light years away in <= 183 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I'd like to send it out around 30 years so I can watch 'Manimal' tv series again. The ba5t3rds took it off and said they wont be showing it again pffft

Better still, send it out backwards in reverse gear (just below warp speed), then slingshot it around the sun anticlockwise and back to earth, just in time for a 'new' never before screened episode, with actors that haven't been born yet! Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I'm not sure it's a good idea to put all your ideas on the internet for all to see 🀓

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I'm not sure it's a good idea to put all your ideas on the internet for all to see 🀓

That's hardly his biggest issue here :)

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    The Light of Other Days is a good novel on the subject

About viewing the past anyway. I am not clear on how you're getting a telescope 183 light years away in <= 183 years

Teleportation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

183 light-years is 66,841 light-days. And you're saying 6 days of interstellar travel can get you that far.

So you need to be travelling at 11,140 TIMES the speed of light.

As nothing can equal, let alone exceed the speed of light we'd need Warp speed.
    But wait, there's a problem.
    According to this https://imgur.com/gallery/Su1RB even Star Trek Warp 9.99 is less than 8000 X light-speed.

And that's if we had ****ing invented warp speed in the first place!!!

Pique wrote: »
    183 light-years is 66,841 light-days. And you're saying 6 days of interstellar travel can get you that far.

According to this https://imgur.com/gallery/Su1RB even Star Trek Warp 9.99 is less than 8000 X light-speed.

Sonic propulsion. Me and LordSutch have it all worked out so you don't need to worry about it.

Or conversely just teleport. No speeds neccessary.

Well if chatting ****e out loud got people places, you'd be nearly there by now.

So much negativity. Where there's a will there's a way. If neccessary we could fit a time travel device to it, so if it takes longer it can jump back in time to just 6 days later. You need to think outside the box, free your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

But like, theoretically...

And could we head onto the future in any way at all?

So much negativity. Where there's a will there's a way. If neccessary we could fit a time travel device to it, so if it takes longer it can jump back in time to just 6 days later. You need to think outside the box, free your mind.

Well if we go fitting time travelling devices to it...it would render my rudimentary telescope for viewing the past obsolete :p

We could strap a radio thing to it with sticky tape and send lads radio signals when the radio gets invented. Tell them all about the future.

Edit: oh no wait theyre dead :(

Well if chatting ****e out loud got people places, you'd be nearly there by now.

Howabout this. If we get just one nautical knot faster than the speed of light.....happy? Put the telescope flying in reverse away from Earth...then we can watch time travel backwards indefinitely at a rate of one nautical knot a year. Make a TV channel out of it or a public art piece for a roundabout in Galway or something

Howabout this. If we get just one nautical knot faster than the speed of light.....happy?

I'd be ecstatic. It would mean that we'd found a way around the cosmic speed limit.

• Advertisement

I'd be ecstatic. It would mean that we'd found a way around the cosmic speed limit.

It's pretty easy. Just travel at the speed of light then stretch space itself like an elastic band and snap back. You've gone from one end to the other easy. Where's my cornflakes?

Advertisement