Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't we do this?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

And could we head onto the future in any way at all?

Well if you travel through space you're aging slower than those on massive objects like earth so yeah. Every astronaut who has spent time on the ISS has technically time travelled as they will have aged slower than people on earth by a tiny bit. The closer you get to C the slower time gets so if you travel to Alpha Centauri at 0.95c, then for an earthbound observer, the time duration is 4.36 years. For people on the ship, the duration is only 1.36 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Pique wrote: »
    I'd be ecstatic. It would mean that we'd found a way around the cosmic speed limit.

that cosmic speed limit is a joke anyway, just a racket for the space police to fill a quota.... What we need i a ring road name it Saturn or something and not allow galaxy high buses or hover cyclist that dont pay space tax btw to clog the spaceway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

Make a really really powerful telescope that can travel really really fast.

Send it 183 lightyears (taking about 6 days interstellar travel) into space, look back on Earth and find out if Jonathan the "183 year old" tortoise is telling the truth.

What would you do if we had such abilities to view the past...bearing in mind viewing the past would be in GTA overhead camera style until such a time where viewing would be like the magic 3d Google maps God mode.

You wouldn't have to send it 183 lightyears away, as that would show you earth 366 years ago, you only have to send it away half the time of what you want to see, as light will have to travel first to where you put a massive mirror, then travel back the same distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

that cosmic speed limit is a joke anyway, just a racket for the space police to fill a quota.... What we need i a ring road name it Saturn or something and not allow galaxy high buses or hover cyclist that dont pay space tax btw to clog the spaceway

Interstellar speed limits are set by the Judoon (space police), so anything over sonic speed x max is outlawed. Hence even warp factor 1 is outlawed, and you don't want to mess with the Judoon, specially after what they did on the Moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Maybe we should send the telescope off 'not backwards' and attach a mirror to the front then we'd be able to see the future. Now that's the money spinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Maybe we should attach a radio reciever tuned to RTE RNAG. As it is traveling faster than the speed of light it will be overtaking the radio waves, and thefore listening to the transmission in reverse. It could then transmit the reversed broadcast back to us. We might then be able to understand what they are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I don't think we should let pique in on this plan. He'd be no craic. He'd probably pull a dictionary out when we were playing travel scrabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

ITT: Clickbait comes to AH. God almighty I despise headlines which don't tell your what they're about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I'd like to send it out around 30 years so I can watch 'Manimal' tv series again. The ba5t3rds took it off and said they wont be showing it again pffft

You can get the entire series on dvd for 15 quid on amazon. I have it already

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lookit fools.

What types of primary schools did you go to atall atall.

From our frame of reference, it would take a minimum of 183m light years to get there. Obviously due to time dilation/length contraction, the telescope would age much less before getting there.

However, the above neglects the fact that you need to accelerate up to the speed of light. As everyone knows, acceleration and gravity are the same thing. but the Special Relativistic equations do not account for acceleration - only constant speed. For that you need General Relativity. Of course, acceleration just causes a warping of space-time. Theoretically what you want to do is to be able to warp space time to create a singularity "worm hole" to punch through the space time as a shortcut.

That's your only hope. And you need good quality turf for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement