Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Pink Floyd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

big b wrote: »
    Best IN Australia might be more accurate

Soon find out...........

Aussie Floyd are phenomenal but IMO the Olympia is just too small to do them justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Having seen that video, maybe the..
    Best Australian Pink Floyd "tribute band" in Australia, may be closer.

It's Perth. Thousands of km's from anywhere.

We take what we can get!

Saw the Aussie Floyd & Brit Floyd many times before moving here, I have no expectation these guys will even come close to those 2 bands, but like I say - you take what live Floyd experience you can get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Blondie919 wrote: »
    http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/david-gilmour-concert-film-live-at-pompeii-to-hit-cinemas-for-one-night-only/

Dave Gilmore Live at Pompeii shown at cinemas in September. Hope it's at a cinema near me!

BUMP

Looking forward to tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Me too.
    I was lucky to see this tour in 2015 and 2016, both shows at the Royal Albert Hall.
    Roll on tomorrow and indeed the 29th, when the CD/Blu-ray hits the stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Saw this in Dungarvan Weds night. Shows how much I enjoyed it, thought it went way too fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Roger announces initial European tour dates for 2018, UK & Ireland to be announced soon.

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-09-18/roger-waters-announces-european-tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Anyone get Davids Live At Pompeii on cd or blu ray yet,its out today? Hoping my local music store has it in stock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Anyone get Davids Live At Pompeii on cd or blu ray yet,its out today? Hoping my local music store has it in stock!

I got it last night in Golden Discs in Cork. Got the deluxe edition CD/BR version for €60. Well worth every cent of it!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Patww79 wrote: »

Surprisingly enough there were a few seats left up the back, which made it a very comfortable evening for moving around, bar, toilets etc. Here's a little taster;

https://youtu.be/JvA5DuubUqw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Roger Waters playing in Hyde Park, London on Friday July 6th. Tickets 89 pound to 249 pound.
    Could work out an expensive weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

OldRio wrote: »
    Roger Waters playing in Hyde Park, London on Friday July 6th. Tickets 89 pound to 249 pound.
    Could work out an expensive weekend.
    Show in Dublin should be announced soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

26th June 2018.
    3 Arena..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I wouldn't pay to see a mime act.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I wouldn't pay to see a mime act.

I think that's a bit harsh. He wrote most of the tunes that he plays, so it is hardly a "mime act". It certainly won't be anything like a PF show when they were in their prime, but RW always gives his all and puts on a great show. I would prefer if he played a good bit of his older solo stuff, but PF is what the vast majority of the crowd want so he goes with that. No harm there though, he has an impressive back catalogue to choose from.

3Arena. Really?? Was hoping for an outdoor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I think they're quite a good band but overrated. The Wall, Dark Side and Meddle are probably their best. Having said that, Syd Barrett's songs like See Emily Play were the most endearing for me. I'm selling a few of my PF cd albums for cheap price, PM if interested.

But it was Barrett's influence that gave us what we got, the entire journey of the band started with his concepts before he dropped out.
    A great example would be to listen carefully to Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive, then jump forward to UmmaGumna, Atom Heart and Meddle and (imo) the influence continued.
    Barrett started the long spacey improv pieces and Waters carried it on into later albums with the ultimate salute back to I.O. being Dark Side.

Pink Floyd, From The Piper to the Bell.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Patww79 wrote: »
    I love them but I always just don't include the Barrett era as the same band at all as it's a bad mark against the name. Absolute tripe.

Couldn't disagree more, they wouldn't have had half the success they had without him, without him.... If you know what I mean.
    His shadow loomed large over then for many years and his influence was tangible.

As for the music, well I'm a barrett fan as my username suggests. His early Floyd stuff is easily comparable to similar quintessential English bands of the era such as the move and the nice. His work was actually a very strong influence on more modern artists like David Bowie, Marc bolan, Julian cope Damon Albarn etc. Whimsical childlike observations on a world with frequent dark undertones. See emily play is an amazing song for such early work... And piper is a true classic album... Innovative and new and both extraterrestrial and introverted at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

I went to see Brit Floyd in Stavanger last week, great show in fairness to them, some good music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

nlrkjos wrote: »
    I went to see Brit Floyd in Stavanger last week, great show in fairness to them, some good music.

Saw the Brit Floyd in the BG theatre..They were awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just had my first ever purchase of a pink floyd album arrive today. I've never listened to them before and I have to say, Wish You Were Here is stellar.
    Can see me getting more.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Just had my first ever purchase of a pink floyd album arrive today. I've never listened to them before and I have to say, Wish You Were Here is stellar.
    Can see me getting more.

I still remember where and when I bought my first Pink Floyd album. We had gone into Dolphin Discs in Talbot St to buy Dark Side of the Moon with my birthday money, after playing my best friends big brother's copy any chance we could get, and it was sold out. Not wanting to leave empty handed I bought Relics instead.
    It sort of gets a bit addictive after a while.
    This pic was taken a good few years ago, its easily doubled in size now.
    PinkFloydAlbums.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You never forget your first Floyd album. Just watched the Gilmour Pompeii Dvd. Incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Can see me getting more.

Better late than never. Go and buy Live at Pompeii next.

Can see me getting more.

I have all 14 of them. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Better late than never. Go and buy Live at Pompeii next.

What a choice!

Or can I recommend another live album? P.U.L.S.E. - For me one of the best live albums I have ever heard...by anyone/band.

+1 for Pulse, cracking live show.
    After the premiere of Pulse Richard Wright said he had always wondered what it was like to see themselves from the audience viewpoint.

Pink Floyd Pulse Premiere Band Q & A

+1 for Pulse, cracking live show.
    After the premiere of Pulse Richard Wright said he had always wondered what it was like to see themselves from the audience viewpoint.

Pink Floyd Pulse Premiere Band Q & A

Most enjoyable read K.Flyer - thanks for sharing.

On PULSE, I thought 'One of These Days' was IMMENSE - The lighting show was OOTW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQRlhN-0wvQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jaysus I've just bought a roger waters fender precision signature bass... I don't usually like signitures but I've always liked the waters one...

BBC2 are showing a segment of David Gilmour live at Pompeii tomorrow night at 10:40.

rednik wrote: »
    BBC2 are showing a segment of David Gilmour live at Pompeii tomorrow night at 10:40.

Alas Rednik, You were right, it was only a segment. I was at David's Gig in Wroclaw, and if the Pompeii Gig was the same then He performed for 2.5 hours, but this programme was only an hour long:-(((

Speaking of Pompeii, something to whet the appetite:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/ng-interactive/2016/jul/14/david-gilmour-live-at-pompeii-a-photo-essay?CMP=share_btn_link

Alas Rednik, You were right, it was only a segment. I was at David's Gig in Wroclaw, and if the Pompeii Gig was the same then He performed for 2.5 hours, but this programme was only an hour long:-(((

Speaking of Pompeii, something to whet the appetite:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/ng-interactive/2016/jul/14/david-gilmour-live-at-pompeii-a-photo-essay?CMP=share_btn_link

The BBC were never going to show the full concert as it was only recently released on dvd/blu ray. I have it and it is well worth buying. The concert run time is just over 2.5 hours and is the same show as I saw in the RAH in 2015 albeit with a different band.

• Advertisement

For fans of old skool Pink Floyd..

Back in 1970 when in the U.S. they did a recording for a tv station KQED.

Here is a really interesting article about that recording and chance to see a previously unreleased video of Pink Floyd playing Astronomy Domine

For fans of old skool Pink Floyd..

Back in 1970 when in the U.S. they did a recording for a tv station KQED.

Here is a really interesting article about that recording and chance to see a previously unreleased video of Pink Floyd playing Astronomy Domine

MOST enjoyable K. Flyer - Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Just bought the 5.1 surround sound version of DSOTM...for an album that I've owned for 44 years (f*ck me!) the clarity is astounding...well worth it.

Love the surround sound too....

Record Store Day, 21st April 2018..

Apparently Piper at the Gates of Dawn to be re-issued again (Again! I hear you all cry) with new unreleased mixes for Record Store Day on April 21st.
    The information is not up on the P.F. site yet but here are some details.
    07 March 2018,
    Pink Floyd will release the band’s debut album ‘The Piper At The Gates of Dawn’ on vinyl, with a new mono 2018 remaster by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman.

Remastered from the original 1967 mono mix, the release is the latest from Pink Floyd Records, which has recently marked global sales of over 1 million vinyl LPs since its launch in June 2016.

The limited-edition Record Store Day release is delivered on premium 12” 180-gram black vinyl, and comes paired with an exclusive poster (540 x 388mm on art paper), as well as a foil blocked outer wallet.

exaisle wrote: »
    Just bought the 5.1 surround sound version of DSOTM...for an album that I've owned for 44 years (f*ck me!) the clarity is astounding...well worth it.

Love the surround sound too....

Is that this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-30th-Anniversary/dp/B00008CLOA

On vinyl or CD? Think it comes with a second disc of the live show?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I just learned this evening of her passing earlier this month.....such a shame, only 57.:(

RELICS is up next for re-issue and re-mastering..

Pink-Floyd-1.jpg

Nick Mason's Saucerful of secrets tour of Europe/UK in September, having played a few nights already looks like a good show with a very good setlist. Unfortunately no date here. Tempted to go to one of the shows.

41444351305_228220e919.jpg

Nick Mason’s Saucerful Of Secrets UK and European tour dates

Sep 02: Stockholm Circus, Sweden
    Sep 03: Copenhagen Forum Black Box, Denmark
    Sep 04: Rostock Moya, Germany
    Sep 06: Amsterdam Carre, Netherlands
    Sep 08: Antwerp Stadsschouwburg, Belgium
    Sep 09: Luxembourg Den Atelier, Luxembourg
    Sep 10: Paris Olympia, France
    Sep 11: Dusseldorf Mitsubishi Elektrikhalle, Germany
    Sep 13: Hamburg Laeiszhalle, Germany
    Sep 15: Stuttgart Beethovensaal, Germany
    Sep 16: Berlin Tempodrom, Germany
    Sep 17: Lepzeig Haus Auensee, Germany
    Sep 19: Vienna Stadhalle F, Austria
    Sep 20: Milan Tetro Arcimboldi, Itlay
    Sep 21: Zurich Samsung Hall, Switzerland
    Sep 23: Portsmouth Guildhall, UK
    Sep 24: London Roundhouse, UK
    Sep 25: Birmingham Symphony Hall, UK
    Sep 27: Manchester O2 Apollo, UK
    Sep 28: Glasgow SEC Armadillo, UK
    Sep 29: Nottingham Royal Concert Hall, UK

Roger on the Radio..

Roger having a chat with Sean Rocks on RTE's Arena show, with a link to listen back..

RTE Arena - Roger Waters.

Listen to interview HERE

Roger Waters - Wait For Her

Just home from Roger's Gig tonight.

Not going to spoil it for anyone who might be going tomorrow night, suffice to say very pleasant surprise the 2nd & 2nd last track He played.......assuming tomorrow night's line up is the same.

Full house as expected, and for anyone humming and hawing about going tomorrow night...GO! You won't be disappointed.

Oh and donald trump, if You are reading this:p don't bother your arse going, somehow I don't think you'll be welcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement