Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't wait for the Super 8's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

Gaelic Football is at a disadvantage in having an equal championship given that the populations of nearly half the teams are too small to have a chance at winning Sam.The critics of the game are often slow to take into account how small numbers are in some counties. Add into that Hurling impacting on Munster counties and the 50:50 Catholic/Protestant divide in the north.

Dublin are bound to be strong given that 1/3 of the country lives there.

As bad as it is for the competitiveness right now is it worse than any other sport.

Since 2000 7 different teams have won the All Ireland.

In the same time there has been no more than 5 teams that have won a League title in the top 4 leagues of professional football (Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

booterboy wrote: »
    Football Championship thus far is dire to say the least.
    No amount of tinkering with Football Championship in the near future will sovle the lobsided results.
    Both games Today over as a contest after 20 mins.
    Can't blame the top 3 of Dub/Tyr/Ker but the gap is just increasing on everyone else.
    Cannot wait until the 2 hurling semi finals Tomorrow.
    Minor game between Cats and Galway will be tight with the Senior game impossible to call.
    Hurling to the rescue again.

Football championship has actually been quite good this year.Most teams are playing a much more positive style of football this year compared to the last 5 or 6 years.

Armagh look to have overachieved in getting as far as they did (they are a division 3 team for a reason) and Galway always **** the bed when they get to Croke Park.Dublin hammering everyone they play is fine because they are unbelievably good and they have most teams beaten before the game even starts.

Its amazing how many people are melodramatic about the football championship 3 of the 4 games last weekend were very entertaining but all of a sudden because we had 2 ****e games today everything is dreadful again.

Davys Fits wrote: »
    The football c'ship has been poor enough. Too many people mixing up excitement with quality. The 'super 8' logo should be changed to something less dramatic as there is nothing super about most of them.

But there has been quality on display.Both winning performances were quality and yet people aren't happy with that either.

Truth is that in almost every single sport the combination of high quality and high entertainment is very very rare as that requires 2 top class teams to both play well at the same time and the match to be close.

There have been lots of exciting matches this year so far.

I used to enjoy football but I have to say it's truly gone to the dogs. The games today were so poor it's unbelievable.

Did you watch last weekends matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

There would be far more exciting and evenly matched super 8 games than the regular one sided quarter finals we see year in year out. At the very least 2 of the top 4 counties would face each other in a quarter final. The lesser teams would be more evenly matched too against each other. And some games would be played down the country.
    We shouldnt have to wait until the 3rd week of August to see Dublin, Kerry or Tyrone properly tested as is the situation now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Did you watch last weekends matches?

Yes, I thought Kerry vs Galway was dull enough. Mayo Roscommon was half decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

shockframe wrote:
    Since 2000 7 different teams have won the All Ireland.

Sure so far in this decade we've had 4 different winners Dublin (11, 13, 15,16), Kerry (14), Donegal (12) and Cork (10). We've also had Down and Mayo in finals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Yes, I thought Kerry vs Galway was dull enough. Mayo Roscommon was half decent.

the 2 games on Saturday were good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Patww79 wrote:

That's just a media creation.

The media 'back door' became 'qualifiers'...

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

It's not a rugby style name.It's a style of name that's been used for numerous different sports over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

the 2 games on Saturday were good as well.

Didn't see much of them, but what I'd consider a 'good' football match these days is just one that isn't terrible. Munster final this year was very disappointing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The media 'back door' became 'qualifiers'...

I must try that one tonight. No harm in a bit of rebranding

• Registered Users Posts: 20,760 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think the last time the Dubs got a bit of back door action was in 2010.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think the last time the Dubs got a bit of back door action was in 2010.

Unfortunately I was in London that year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Stoner wrote: »
    I must try that one tonight. No harm in a bit of rebranding

You'll probably get the same answer tho ..

DoctaDee wrote:
    You'll probably get the same answer tho ..

Well I'm not changing teams at this stage DoctaDee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Stoner wrote: »
    Well I'm not changing teams at this stage DoctaDee.

:D .. bit like meself Stoner, we've tumbled from senior to junior b but we're competitive a couple of times a season !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

As someone pointed out you may get the odd shock and that was a plus for the current system but asking the weaker teams to play 3 games will end up with what we are watching now. Shock teams in the semis will be gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Its not the structure of the championship that's the problem.

Its the allocation of player and financial resources.

Up to recently other counties could compete with Dublin in Leinster in terms of playing pool and financial resources. Now they have no chance. And it will only get worse in the future as Dublin continues to grow in population.

I see Dublin winning at least the next 10 Leinster championships. And this is before they even reach AI quarters or Super 8s.

The Leinster counties are stuck in a vicious cycle. They can't win enough games to earn enough revenue or attract enough people to the game because who wants to be at the receiving end of a thrashing from Dublin every year?

Breaking up Dublin is not the answer. But some form of limited professionalism for key players and managers might be the answer for the lesser counties.

As it stands however, Gaelic football is heading the way of hurling, with only certain counties capable of putting up a challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Its not the structure of the championship that's the problem.

Its the allocation of player and financial resources.

Up to recently other counties could compete with Dublin in Leinster in terms of playing pool and financial resources. Now they have no chance. And it will only get worse in the future as Dublin continues to grow in population.

I see Dublin winning at least the next 10 Leinster championships. And this is before they even reach AI quarters or Super 8s.

The Leinster counties are stuck in a vicious cycle. They can't win enough games to earn enough revenue or attract enough people to the game because who wants to be at the receiving end of a thrashing from Dublin every year?

Breaking up Dublin is not the answer. But some form of limited professionalism for key players and managers might be the answer for the lesser counties.

As it stands however, Gaelic football is heading the way of hurling, with only certain counties capable of putting up a challenge.

Other counties can't sport "limited professionalism", so that's not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You're completely correct. But people think that GAA should be different. Fupp knows why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Every sport only has a handful of teams capable of challenging for titles.

You're completely correct. But people think that GAA should be different. Fupp knows why.
    problem is there are a limited number of gaa teams
    and also a small population to attend games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Every sport only has a handful of teams capable of challenging for titles.

problem is there are a limited number of gaa teams
    and also a small population to attend games

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

English Cricket this century.
    18 competitors.
    T20 Cup. 10 different winners.
    County Championship. 8 different winners.

Its a nice comparison with us imo because it uses the county system. Though happily for them London has never really been a county in its own right.

Aussie Rugby League this century.
    16 competitors.
    11 different winners.

Its quite easy to do once you don't have an international aspect i.e., you have full control of the structures of the game like in American sports or my above examples.
    Divide resources (money, population, catchment area) 16 ways or 20 ways or 32 ways.
    Theres absolutely no will or desire to do this - but that's different from saying that its not possible.

English Cricket this century.
    18 competitors.
    T20 Cup. 10 different winners.
    County Championship. 8 different winners.

Its a nice comparison with us imo because it uses the county system. Though happily for them London has never really been a county in its own right.

Aussie Rugby League this century.
    16 competitors.
    11 different winners.

Its quite easy to do once you don't have an international aspect i.e., you have full control of the structures of the game like in American sports or my above examples.
    Divide resources (money, population, catchment area) 16 ways or 20 ways or 32 ways.
    Theres absolutely no will or desire to do this - but that's different from saying that its not possible.

You can't change how the country's population is divided up.

In a proper professional set up you could arrange a much better championship but of course because of the GAA's traditions nobody would want to support anything other than a 32 county system and a franchise style system would be doomed to failure because of this.

Some counties aren't doing as well as they should be but there is no doubt that some counties are far more up against it than others due to lack of resources and this issue needs to be addressed first and foremost.

Most counties do care.

You seem to have a massive hangup about smaller counties getting help just because you happen to be from the 1 or 2 counties that don't seem to really care most of the other counties do it's just the task is much too difficult to compete and they lose motivation which is understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Not sure if this has been clarified already or not but wrt Dublin in Super 8's, will they have 2x games in Croke Park (1x 'Home' game, and 1x 'Croker' game) and 1 away game?

Advertisement