Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't wait for the Super 8's

• 05-08-2017 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

I can't wait till next year and we've to suffer through more of these kind of games. Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone have all won in second gear. The only game in the quarters with any bite was Roscommon and Mayo.
    If this was 2018 the above teams would be looking at playing Monaghan, Galway or Armagh next week for a other round of dire games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Time for the other counties to step up to the mark so!

Remember "Super 8" is just an unofficial term for that part of next year's championship. Maybe we could call it "3 and whatever having yourself"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Roscommon and Mayo was close but the standard was very poor. Looks like the Super 8s is a bad idea already. Tremendous 3 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

Football Championship thus far is dire to say the least.
    No amount of tinkering with Football Championship in the near future will sovle the lobsided results.
    Both games Today over as a contest after 20 mins.
    Can't blame the top 3 of Dub/Tyr/Ker but the gap is just increasing on everyone else.
    Cannot wait until the 2 hurling semi finals Tomorrow.
    Minor game between Cats and Galway will be tight with the Senior game impossible to call.
    Hurling to the rescue again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭doc_17

I can't wait till next year and we've to suffer through more of these kind of games. Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone have all won in second gear. The only game in the quarters with any bite was Roscommon and Mayo.
    If this was 2018 the above teams would be looking at playing Monaghan, Galway or Armagh next week for a other round of dire games.

Ros v Mayo was a quarter final. The huge issues today were uncompetitive matches plus the empty stadium. Bringing games to regional venues will help. Dub v Mon in Clones would have been closer. Matches in empty grounds are her hard to get engaged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭shockframe

booterboy wrote: »
    Football Championship thus far is dire to say the least.
    No amount of tinkering with Football Championship in the near future will sovle the lobsided results.
    Both games Today over as a contest after 20 mins.
    Can't blame the top 3 of Dub/Tyr/Ker but the gap is just increasing on everyone else.
    Cannot wait until the 2 hurling semi finals Tomorrow.
    Minor game between Cats and Galway will be tight with the Senior game impossible to call.
    Hurling to the rescue again.

The Football championship overall has been better this season than the last few.

The Hurling has been very mediocre so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

I hope they are all on sky

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

shockframe wrote: »
    The Football championship overall has been better this season than the last few.

The Hurling has been very mediocre so far.

I will agree to disagree. Poor provincial finals and poor quater finals bar the one. Some good games in Qualifiers, mayo always bring excitement.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Ros v Mayo was a quarter final. The huge issues today were uncompetitive matches plus the empty stadium. Bringing games to regional venues will help. Dub v Mon in Clones would have been closer. Matches in empty grounds are her hard to get engaged in.

Teams like Monaghan and Roscommon reaching he quarter finals is almost the limit for them. Both have a population of 60,000 or so. Tonight wasnt pretty for Monaghan but they do well to get to that stage considering their resources.

C__MC wrote: »
    I will agree to disagree. Poor provincial finals and poor quater finals bar the one. Some good games in Qualifiers, mayo always bring excitement.

Lot of reasonably good games in the early rounds though. Couple of enjoyable qualifier games.

Not top drawer finals but enjoyed watchng Tyrone and Roscommon win their provinces.

In fairness the quarter finals haven't produced a decent game for a long time so I wasnt expecting much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Well the dubs will have to play one of their Super 8 games outside Croke Park, thats something i suppose. Agreed though, games played at provincial venues with packed stadiums will be far better, atmosphere wise, tv coverage etc. I think mayo V ross on Monday should have been in the west, let them toss for it, at best there might be 40k in a half empty Croker, compared to a packed house in the Hyde or McHale Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Ros v Mayo was a quarter final. The huge issues today were uncompetitive matches plus the empty stadium.

I'm aware it was a quarter final and it was sold out so empty??

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Well the dubs will have to play one of their Super 8 games outside Croke Park, thats something i suppose. Agreed though, games played at provincial venues with packed stadiums will be far better, atmosphere wise, tv coverage etc. I think mayo V ross on Monday should have been in the west, let them toss for it, at best there might be 40k in a half empty Croker, compared to a packed house in the Hyde or McHale Park.

And listen to complaints from the 10 k who can't get tickets then ?
    No thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

shockframe wrote: »
    Lot of reasonably good games in the early rounds though. Couple of enjoyable qualifier games.

Not top drawer finals but enjoyed watchng Tyrone and Roscommon win their provinces.

In fairness the quarter finals haven't produced a decent game for a long time so I wasnt expecting much.

What games in the early rounds were good?

Munster championship? Tipp and cork was an awful game despite score line

Ulster? I agree there Monaghan and down v good, as was down/Armagh

Connacht? I agree there that mayo and Galway was v good

Leinster? Can't recall any good games

Qualifiers threw up some crackers I will say! The provincial championship is long gone, grade changes need to be implemented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

There was a full house in Croke Park today.

km79 wrote: »
    And listen to complaints from the 10 k who can't get tickets then ?
    No thanks :D

Ya i get you but look at the bigger picture. The way the games are marketed and presented now is awful, for example Cork V Mayo from a pr perspective should have been in Ennis, 13,000 packed into a tight staium with a brilliant atmosphere as opposed to Limerick with swathes of empty seating, now im talking here purely from a promotional point of view as i do wonder what the GAA overall strategy is in all of this, becuase i cant imagine SKY being happy with the decision to have that game in Limerick for example.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    There was a full house in Croke Park today.

Talk about missing the bloody point, there was not a full house for most of the second game

Why will there be a packed stadium at a provincial venue for a Galway/Armagh or Mayo/Monaghan match of no consequence if one or maybe both are already out? There might be a bounce initially due to the novelty just as there was with the qualifiers years ago but that will soon wane.

Talk about missing the bloody point, there was not a full house for most of the second game

Why would there be? Why would people from Armagh/Tyrone stay and watch a procession? They won't go to Clones to watch a rerun either nor will much of the crowd that would attend Croke Park. The notion of atmosphere-filled provincial stadiums is a delusion. There just aren't enough competitive teams to have a meaningful Super 8. People will not gather in vast numbers to watch uncompetitive rubbish, certainly outside of the experience Croke Park provides anyway.

STB. wrote: »
    Time for the other counties to step up to the mark so!

If it were that straightforward they'd have already done so.

• Advertisement

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Why would there be? Why would people from Armagh/Tyrone stay and watch a procession? They won't go to Clones to watch a rerun either nor will much of the crowd that would attend Croke Park. The notion of atmosphere-filled provincial stadiums is a delusion. There just aren't enough competitive teams to have a meaningful Super 8. People will not gather in vast numbers to watch uncompetitive rubbish, certainly outside of the experience Croke Park provides anyway.

Eh? you posted that there was a full house today, i merely pointed out that there wasnt for the second game. And yeah there will be the odd meaningless game unfortunately as happens in every sport but thats no reason to knock the proposal. Dublin are streets ahead of everyone but i think that game played in Clones might just have been a bit more interesting do you not think?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

The football c'ship has been poor enough. Too many people mixing up excitement with quality. The 'super 8' logo should be changed to something less dramatic as there is nothing super about most of them.

Davys Fits wrote: »
    The football c'ship has been poor enough. Too many people mixing up excitement with quality. The 'super 8' logo should be changed to something less dramatic as there is nothing super about most of them.
    :confused:

Eh? you posted that there was a full house today, i merely pointed out that there wasnt for the second game. And yeah there will be the odd meaningless game unfortunately as happens in every sport but thats no reason to knock the proposal. Dublin are streets ahead of everyone but i think that game played in Clones might just have been a bit more interesting do you not think?

I don't think. Result would have been the same. Whatever novelty might apply regarding venues will quickly wear thin when the counties at the bottom of the Super 8 are seen to be making up numbers. As things stand Kerry and Dublin are so far ahead of the rest there will be more than the odd meaningless game. And the Super 8 obliterates the possibility of an occasional shock as there'll always be another day out.

Eh? you posted that there was a full house today, i merely pointed out that there wasnt for the second game.

And I just explained why that might have been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭doc_17

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Davys Fits wrote: »

Super 8 was just a term attached to the idea of quarter final group stages, by whom I do not know.

It not an official title

I cant see the Super 8s making any difference to games at least next year. Perhaps in 2019 or 2020 it might improve but counties need to rethink how they are approaching and preparing for championship.
    There is a chasm opening between the top 3 of Dublin, Kerry, and Tyrone and the rest. 4th best is arguably still Mayo (who seem to have dropped off) Monaghan and then there is little between the rest of Division 1 and all of the Division 2 teams.

Obviously my hope is for my own county to qualify for next seasons edition because it is crucial to the long term development of football in Tipperary that we are playing top level opposition more frequently.

Looking at Armagh taking a hammering from Tyrone today we would be obliterated against Kerry, Dublin or Tyrone. We would however learn from playing them more frequently. That is why we need to be amongst the elite in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I used to enjoy football but I have to say it's truly gone to the dogs. The games today were so poor it's unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

If this was 2018, then the last 8 would go something like this;

round 1 Dublin v Tyrone & Mayo v Galway in Croke Park

Round 2 Dublin v Galway in Croke Park & Tyrone v Mayo in Healy Park

Round 3 Mayo v Dublin in Castlebar & Galway v Tyrone in Pearse park

Other group would have;
    Round 1 Kerry v Roscommon & Armagh v Monaghan in Croke park

Round 2 Kerry v Armagh in Killarney & Roscommon v Monaghan in Hyde park

Round 3 Monaghan v Kerry in clones & Armagh v Roscommon in athletics grounds

Looking forward to it.

Making the last 8 is a realistic target for all division 1, 2 & 3 teams

Advertisement