Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

there cant be that many negatives if ye have one of the strongest u21 panels in the country and favorites to win it out

Indeed. But, I was talking about the senior set up. A disaster.

As for the U21s, I didn't like what I saw v Cork. There were worrying signs there, like complacency, but this looks like one of the best teams I've ever seen at the grade, and I would agree that they are better than the 2000-2002 teams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Team named for Saturday's U-21 AI semi-final v Galway, one change with Barry Murphy coming in for Mike Mackey. 1/6 favourites :eek:

20882558_2031158453774015_3077792414290530446_n.jpg?oh=149c42e879a9d8edd8d75ac8e2c03b32&oe=5A1DF47E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Has La Touche Cosgrave regressed or is he coming back from an injury or simply out of favour - he was on the senior team at the start of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Its a strange one, nit injured i dont think, he played a bit part last year as a forward and plays for monaleen as a forward, he's a much better back so I don't know why they are trying to make him into a forward, i haven't seen him since a minor, does he lack pace I wonder?

You'd have to go with Limerick to win this one, but no way @ 1/6, maybe 1/2.

Poor weather is a factor, and Galway hurling on a buzz, but no excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Great to come through after a serious test of character, although helped by Galway not exactly being battle-hardened. Even when some of our big names have an off night, we have enough strength in depth to pull through. Now for title No 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Same as in 14.you will be favourites and we will win.😺

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Same as in 14.you will be favourites and we will win.��

The Cats will be unbackable favourites after today.
    Limerick just don't have that ability to score goals.
    Gifted 2 today, didn't even manufacture a coalscoring chance V Cork.
    Only 20% return on goalscoring chances V Clare and Tipp, with some of the misses one on ones.
    Not the stuff of potential A.I. champions.

Went to match today, and a bit like the Cork match I'm a bit unconvinced. Galway could have won. Like the senior set up, we're not maximising potential available. Too much fancy dan flicks and short passes. Didn't see the first match, but KK will win if we re-produce that. That said, they showed character for the last 10 mins.

8 finals in the last 20 years in this grade is compelling. Time it's replicated at senior level.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Same as in 14.you will be favourites and we will win.��

You could be right. We are 8/13 favs.

3 years ago we were much the better team but somehow managed to lose, I've a feeling KK U21 team is considerably better than that minor side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Rightwing wrote: »
    You could be right. We are 8/13 favs.

3 years ago we were much the better team but somehow managed to lose, I've a feeling KK U21 team is considerably better than that minor side.

Limerick may have been the best minor team all through the year in 2014 but Kilkenny were definitely better in the final and well deserved to win.

We were also 1/6 favourites for yesterday's game and the game could have gone either way. I had predicted that we would just about get over Galway.
    Bookies don't normally get it wrong but 1/6 was plain crazy.
    1 or 2 deluded Galway fans reckon the only reason we won was because the Galway legs 'went' in the last 10 minutes. Getting absolutely no credit for hitting 23 points (and some atrocious wides)
    The goals scored by both teams were softish, the result of bad defensive errors, Whelan's was well finished but the Limerick defence were left flat-footed after an appalling effort at a clearance.

Cant see how Kilkenny will not be favourites in the minds of those following this competition.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Limerick may have been the best minor team all through the year in 2014 but Kilkenny were definitely better in the final and well deserved to win.

I recall them being little more than a dogged team who hung on for the fluke of all flukes.
    washman3 wrote: »
    We were also 1/6 favourites for yesterday's game and the game could have gone either way. I had predicted that we would just about get over Galway.
    Bookies don't normally get it wrong but 1/6 was plain crazy.
    1 or 2 deluded Galway fans reckon the only reason we won was because the Galway legs 'went' in the last 10 minutes. Getting absolutely no credit for hitting 23 points (and some atrocious wides)
    The goals scored by both teams were softish, the result of bad defensive errors, Whelan's was well finished but the Limerick defence were left flat-footed after an appalling effort at a clearance.

Cant see how Kilkenny will not be favourites in the minds of those following this competition.

Basically, KK have beaten 2nd and 3rd rate teams.

But a few deluded Galway fans reckon if they played one game against these '2nd and 3rd rate teams' they would have been battle hardened and beat Limerick yesterday. would you agree with this.?

But a few deluded Galway fans reckon if they played one game against these '2nd and 3rd rate teams' they would have been battle hardened and beat Limerick yesterday. would you agree with this.?

We had an off day yesterday. They had their chances, maybe could have won, but ultimately they weren't good enough. They faded badly late on, but playing teams like derry/ wex would have been no use to them.

This manager is starting to remind me of kiely, headless. We played into galway's hands and if do that v KK and we'll lose.

We had an off day yesterday. They had their chances, maybe could have won, but ultimately they weren't good enough. They faded badly late on, but playing teams like derry/ wex would have been no use to them.

This manager is starting to remind me of kiely, headless. We played into galway's hands and if do that v KK and we'll lose.

Is there much more he could have done?
    Maybe brought in Boylan earlier. One or two players are living off their reputations IMO and need to be replaced. (from the start)
    From what i'm hearing the system is very fair, ie perform in training and you start. But more importantly to me is that in the actual games so far some players have consistently underperformed yet are still starting.
    Galway are good hurlers, always were,and will cope with any situation they are presented with. This needs to be remembered when blaming a manager.

Is there much more he could have done?
    Maybe brought in Boylan earlier. One or two players are living off their reputations IMO and need to be replaced. (from the start)
    From what i'm hearing the system is very fair, ie perform in training and you start. But more importantly to me is that in the actual games so far some players have consistently underperformed yet are still starting.
    Galway are good hurlers, always were,and will cope with any situation they are presented with. This needs to be remembered when blaming a manager.

I agree Galway were better than we thought.

My criticism is this insistence on that short passing game. We were passing to players that were in poor positions. Galway/Cork intercepted a lot of ball. KK could be a dirty team, they'll go in very hard for any stupid 50-50 passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

I recall them being little more than a dogged team who hung on for the fluke of all flukes.

False memory! Kilkenny were on top for most of the game.

Martin567 wrote: »
    False memory! Kilkenny were on top for most of the game.

It was a poor low scoring game from what I remember, we missed a few goal chances. But I remember saying at the time that KK deserved it. We never really got going, and you have to credit the opposition for that too.

but this looks like one of the best teams I've ever seen at the grade, and I would agree that they are better than the 2000-2002 teams.
    Went to match today, and a bit like the Cork match I'm a bit unconvinced.

Jaysus you talk some scutter lad. talk about out of both sides of the mouth :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

We need to change the half forward line, need a big ball winner to start.

Also think we need ALTC at half back, we are weak in the air

Brave calls taking off sean finn and colin ryan, well done to the management got it right. Flanagan looked bullish when on think tom Morrissey is off the pace

Great effort to win from all, hopefully they can complete the job in 2 weeks against a very good KK side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Not necessarily deluded, just that even another game would have brought on Galway a good bit. That wasn't at all bad a Galway team, shaky FB line aside. There's no substitute for games for setting up a team. There's no doubt that Limerick's testing campaign through Munster stood them in great stead, they were also a physically stronger team and at times looked as if they could really cut loose. I would make them justifiable favourites for the final and hope they win it.

MfMan wrote: »
    Not necessarily deluded, just that even another game would have brought on Galway a good bit. That wasn't at all bad a Galway team, shaky FB line aside. There's no substitute for games for setting up a team. There's no doubt that Limerick's testing campaign through Munster stood them in great stead, they were also a physically stronger team and at times looked as if they could really cut loose. I would make them justifiable favourites for the final and hope they win it.

To be fair its only a minority of Galway fans, ie a few posting here, that were posting barstool comments like 'one game under our belt and we would have won that one' Most of them not at the game just watching on TV.
    The Galway people I spoke to at the game were generally dead sound.
    The game could have gone either way but Limerick were marginally better on the day despite the fact that a few 'big names' were below par. Galway's big names did perform, Whelan was good but I actually expected more. I feared he would completely run riot.
    The final will be 50/50. a dogfight to the end. Kilkenny will try for early goals, an Eddie Brennan trademark. They will be well tuned into Limerick strengths and weaknesses. If we start the same 15 again we will not win. Simple as.
    two warnings got now from Galway and Cork.

danganabu wrote: »
    Jaysus you talk some scutter lad. talk about out of both sides of the mouth :D

Wasn't it you who said Kiely would win the AI. Thanks for the laugh but it sums up your knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

Went to match today, and a bit like the Cork match I'm a bit unconvinced. Galway could have won. Like the senior set up, we're not maximising potential available. Too much fancy dan flicks and short passes. Didn't see the first match, but KK will win if we re-produce that. That said, they showed character for the last 10 mins.

8 finals in the last 20 years in this grade is compelling. Time it's replicated at senior level.

look at how well have galway done at -21 level, how many ai's have they

the old song, its not whaat you do its the way that you do it, btw hurling has no opposition in kk, where as in limk there are many sports challanging for both players and spectators, in fairness limerick supporters keep supporting and keep the knocking to a min

flutered wrote: »
    look at how well have galway done at -21 level, how many ai's have they

This isn't rocket science. Galway have 2 matches to win the U21 AI, one of those games may be v poor leinster opposition. A better barometer is their senior teams, they've play to play more games, and guess what, they're finding it more difficult. ;)

This isn't rocket science. Galway have 2 matches to win the U21 AI, one of those games may be v poor leinster opposition. A better barometer is their senior teams, they've play to play more games, and guess what, they're finding it more difficult. ;)

still they have a bigger player base, do they have a co board nominee on each team coach and selectors at every level to ensure that certain players continue to get game time

flutered wrote: »
    still they have a bigger player base, do they have a co board nominee on each team coach and selectors at every level to ensure that certain players continue to get game time

Galway have good players at underage, skilful. But if you only have to beat 1 team to get to the final, the likelihood is, you'll make more finals than a team that has to play 5 matches.

Think of it like a hurdle race, the more hurdles, the more likely you are to fall.

• Advertisement

Wasn't it you who said Kiely would win the AI. Thanks for the laugh but it sums up your knowledge.

No, but feel free to quote it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement