Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS Terrorist Attack in Barcelona

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Just because you are born in a stable it doesn't make you a horse. I'd say he was about as Spanish as Darby O'Gill

Stupid post. Are you saying he was not Spanish?

It's best to accept the facts and assess them rather than act the ostrich. We are dealing with a 17 year old Spaniard who was somehow radicalised enough to murder 14 innocent people by driving at speed through a crowd. This is the kind if lunacy we are dealing with. It's a difficult enemy to engage or defeat.

...in your opinion. In mine, he was North African to the core. Deal with it.

:D

You have to laugh. You're making great progress on the solution then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It's best to accept the facts and assess them rather than act the ostrich. We are dealing with a 17 year old Spaniard who was somehow radicalised enough to murder 14 innocent people by driving at speed through a crowd. This is the kind if lunacy we are dealing with. It's a difficult enemy to engage or defeat.

You are determined to identify this 17 year old as Spanish to fit your narrative. Do you honestly believe that he himself identified himself as Spanish?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You are determined to identify this 17 year old as Spanish to fit your narrative. Do you honestly believe that he himself identified himself as Spanish?

He is a Spanish citizen. Why are you so shocked?
    We have seen this before. You guys sound annoyed by this fact.

Oh and what is my narrative? Thrill me with your acumen...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

EuropaMoon wrote: »
    Fact is, AntiFa (or neo fascists) are alligning themselves with radical Islam.

That's a strawman argument there.

I'm no fan of ANTIFA, but whatever about them clashing with Falangists. In my mind, 2 groups of idiots. But how does that align anybody with radical Islam?

• Advertisement

He is a Spanish citizen. Why are you so shocked?
    We have seen this before.

Oh and what is my narrative? Thrill me with your acumen...

I think you have your head in the sand. So what if he is a Spanish citizen. He was 17. I think it is pathetic that you see it as a victory that this terrorist was born in the west not in an Arab country. What does that prove?
    Did he kill 13 people because of his Spanish culture and heritage? Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Who gives a sh*te what he called himself. He is a dirty scumbag chicken **** child killing bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

You can be sure that his Spanish citizen status means more to a few people on here than it does to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

...in your opinion. In mine, he was North African to the core. Deal with it.

not in my opinion, but in fact. he was spanish

it doesn't matter. what he identifies himself as is irrelevant, he was spanish.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I think you have your head in the sand. So what if he is a Spanish citizen. He was 17. I think it is pathetic that you see it as a victory that this terrorist was born in the west not in an Arab country. What does that prove?
    Did he kill 13 people because of his Spanish culture and heritage? Of course not.

So I call ye ostriches and you reply with the utter nonsense above? What age are you?
    At least I can acknowledge facts and consider the difficultly in fighting this terrorism. Some of you clowns can only deal in black + white causes and solutions.

• Advertisement

So what if he is a Spanish citizen.
    Are you seriously suggesting it would have been deemed irrelevant if this ISIS nutjob marauded into Spain on Mrs Merkel's initiative?

If course it's bloody relevant. It would have been relevant if he had recently immigrated, but the fact is that he (like many, or most of his kin) are Europeans.

That is relevant. It forces us to ask serious questions about European countries' domestic (non immigration) policies.

You obviously are not aware of the definition of nationality.

Are all people born in Northern Ireland British?

Answer me that please.

So I call ye ostriches and you reply with the utter nonsense above? What age are you?
    At least I can acknowledge facts and consider the difficultly in fighting this terrorism. Some of you clowns can only deal in black + white causes and solutions.

Ageist as well as deluded. You are the one who sees things in black and white terms. Are people born in Northern Ireland British?

it doesn't matter. what he identifies himself as is irrelevant, he was spanish.

Someone sees sense...and we both know that identifying home grown minors (u18) as terrorist risks is a lot harder than imported unknown risks.

Are you seriously suggesting it would have been deemed irrelevant if this ISIS nutjob marauded into Spain on Mrs Merkel's initiative?

If course it's bloody relevant. It would have been relevant if he had recently immigrated, but the fact is that he (like many, or most of his kin) are Europeans.

That is relevant. It forces us to ask serious questions about European countries' domestic (non immigration) policies.

You consider him European. He would not consider himself European but I guess you believe you are right.

You obviously are not aware of the definition of nationality.

wrong. i'm very aware of the definition, and the terrorist was spanish.
    Are all people born in Northern Ireland British?

none of those born in northern ireland are british, they are irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

You do realise that these scum consider themselves Muslim first and probably Moroccan before Spanish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

Hmm, ostriches, clowns, what is it they say about resorting to name calling when losing an argument?

Someone sees sense...and we both know that identifying home grown minors (u18) as terrorist risks is a lot harder than imported unknown risks.

What a nonsense statement. You are saying that European citizens who we can track their internet search history, associations, organisations memberships etc are more difficult to identify as potential threats than unknown individuals running from a boat up s beach in Spain. This is clearly nonsense.

You consider him European. He would not consider himself European but I guess you believe you are right.
    It's not a question of opinion, but one of fact.

You don't choose to be Senegalese or American or Japanese by dint of will. You either are, you are not.

• Advertisement

You do realise that these scum consider themselves Muslim first and probably Moroccan before Spanish!

irrelevant. they are still spanish. from spain if born in spain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah and your Halawa buddy considers himself Egyptian! Or that's what he said when he was up on the stage! It's only when he was thrown in jail that he decided he was Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

China??? Are you sure?
    The Chinese economy has been roaring for decades. Why would they be working in service stations in grotty Dublin??

Best pop in & ask them.

It's not a question of opinion, but one of fact.

You don't choose to be Senegalese or American or Japanese by dint of will. You either are, you are not.
    This is also nonsense. One of the individuals caught up in this incident was an Irish citizen. A man born in the Philippines who chose to become an Irish citizen.
    Do you feel the same about gender? You are either one or the other? Your arguments are nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

AT FIRST YOUR IN DENIAL,

THEN RAGE,

THEN ACCEPTANCE

Such hypocrisy. So nationality is fluid when it suits your arguments but rigid when it suits your narrative.
    So no one born in Northern Ireland is British?

This is also nonsense. One of the individuals caught up in this incident was an Irish citizen. A man born in the Philippines who chose to become an Irish citizen.
    so then he was Irish. What's your point caller?
    Do you feel the same about gender? You are either one or the other? Your arguments are nonsense.
    Of course not.

I guess I'm a bit of a language pedant, but one can identify as either (or neither) woman or man, but you can't just identify as being a citizen of a desired State.

If he were Syrian or Afghani, and chose to identify as Spanish, you'd probably (quite rightfully) ridicule that.

Similarly, I don't believe you'd find his nationality quite so irrelevant if he were a Syrian or Afghani.

You lot must be very disappointed tonight.

correct. the same as anyone born in other british ruled overseas territories that they stole from other countries aren't british. only those born in england scotland and wales are british.

Such hypocrisy. So nationality is fluid when it suits your arguments but rigid when it suits your narrative.
    Gender is variable in the same way as religious and political affiliations are.

But citizenship is not variable by any legal or logical means.

Are you saying citizenship is fluid?

• Advertisement

so then he was Irish. What's your point caller?

Of course not.

I guess I'm a bit of a language pedant, but one can identify as either (or neither) woman or man, but you can't just identify as being a citizen of a desired State.

If he were Syrian or Afghani, and chose to identify as Spanish, you'd probably (quite rightfully) ridicule that.

Similarly, I don't believe you'd find his nationality quite so irrelevant if he were a Syrian or Afghani.

You lot must be very disappointed tonight.

I don't see any evidence that you are a pedant as you seem very confused.
    You are aware that people with an Irish granny can play for the Irish soccer team. Dual citizenship exists. People born in one country can become citizens of others. You rejoice that's 17 year old murderer was Spanish not Moroccan or Syrian. If this delights you then you have a very happy future.
    Do you really believe that he identified as Spanish?

Advertisement