Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems/Routers compatible with VDSL in Ireland

Options
  • 09-08-2016 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭

About time we had a list I think

Preface:
    OpenEir use Huawei DSLAMS(exchange modems) that implement G.Vectoring (G.993.5) which boosts VDSL2 speeds from 10 to 30%. Vectoring works by collaboration between the modem and DSLAM so modem compatibility is important and not always assured.

Known Good:
    • F1000 (Zyxel VMG8324-B10A)
    • F2000 (Huawei HG659b)
    • Huawei HG658c
    • Netgear D7000 - Thanks to Tea Drinker
    • AVM FRITZ!Box 7360 - Thanks to Karsini

If anyone has any other units deployed please respond with the model and if vectoring works or not.

Thanks,
    ED-E

Comments

I tried the AVM FRITZ!Box 7390 and 7490. I don't know if vectoring works but I found that the sync speed was somewhat lower than the F2000; between 90-95Mb/s on a 9dB margin whereas the F2000 gets the full 100 with a comfortable margin.

The 7490 used to lose sync very frequently but a recent firmware update resolved it.

Digiweb also issue the 7360 to their customers but I don't have much experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Karsini wrote: »
    I tried the AVM FRITZ!Box 7390 and 7490. I don't know if vectoring works but I found that the sync speed was somewhat lower than the F2000; between 90-95Mb/s on a 9dB margin whereas the F2000 gets the full 100 with a comfortable margin.

The 7490 used to lose sync very frequently but a recent firmware update resolved it.

Sounds like the attainables on the F2000 were probably higher than the maximum profile which would strongly suggest no vectoring there.
    Karsini wrote: »
    Digiweb also issue the 7360 to their customers but I don't have much experience of it.

If they're issuing that it has to be compliant, or at least DWs firmware does. Thanks!

I can no longer edit the OP.

Known Good:
    • F2000 (Huawei HG659b)
    • Huawei HG658c

Steer Clear:
    • AVM FRITZ!Box 7390 - Thanks to Murph [SW Vectoring]

I'm wondering now if any of the AVM routers support vectoring on Open Eir's network. I tried my 7490 on a 60/20 line and it only reached 45/18 (and the UI reports vectoring as off). The F2000 reaches 60/20. See below.

Might be best to avoid them unless you don't mind bridging your ISP-supplied CPE to it. Personally I don't; in my old apartment in Fairview I bridged the F2000 to that 7490.

408419.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That's interesting. The 7490 is not reported as having any problems with the Vectoring Deutsche Telekom and others here. It's also strange that because the 7360 and 7490 share the same chipset AFAIK. Both of these modems are recommended as solid alternatives to the known problem child the 7390.

According to ED E's post you verified the 7360...was that with vectoring enabled?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    According to ED E's post you verified the 7360...was that with vectoring enabled?
    I didn't verify it per se, just that Digiweb provide it here. But they got stung with a different Fritz and had to recall them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

I'm using the ASUS DSL-AC68U with VDSL. The modem is listed on its website as supporting G.993.5.

How do I check that the vectoring is working?

kevin.m wrote: »
    I'm using the ASUS DSL-AC68U with VDSL. The modem is listed on its website as supporting G.993.5.

How do I check that the vectoring is working?

Connect an F1000/F2000/Vodafone/SkyHub and copy the line rates. Then connect the 68U and copy its rates.

If they're within 5% then vectoring is working. (If they're the same and the SNR is very different then its not).

It wont let me upload photos.

Router_________VF Router__ASUS DSL-AC68U
    Downstream____50174 ______46007
    Upstream_______15360 ____ 15358
    SNR down_______11.8 _____ 8.9
    SNR UP ________15.2 ______ 10.1

Ok so thats about a 53Mb line, but about a 43-44Mb line unvectored. [@ Others normalizing results to 10dB target]

The AC68U is not talking to the Huawei gear. Another example of g.vector being a standard that isnt really standard.

@Kevin: That will probably be stable. If its not you'll need to drop to 40_10. At the current delta the loss in throughput isnt too much but you are sacrificing some speed.

• Advertisement

Updated

Known Good:
    • F2000 (Huawei HG659b)
    • Huawei HG658c
    • ASUS DSL-AC68U B]Default: OFF[/B- Thanks to Kevin.m

Steer Clear:
    • AVM FRITZ!Box 7390 - Thanks to Murph [SW Vectoring]

I went and did a bit of research after your post. I found the guide below. Vectoring was not enabled on the 68U. With vectoring enabled, the speed now matches the VF router but the SNR is still lower. I have not enabled the "non-standard G Vector" setting listed on the ASUS page. Why is the SNR not as high as the VF router?

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1015709/

New results with vectoring enabled:
    Down speed: 50175
    Up Speed: 15358
    Down SNR: 8.9
    UP SNR: 12.7

Its close enough that it doesnt matter too much. The DSLAM is capping your port to the 50_15 profile(which is good) so while the HG659 could probably do 2-3Mb more based on those numbers its not significant. If the VF test was at a different time to the vectored Asus test then its liable to just be natural noise variations.

Different models use different chips which dont all perform identically (eg: aggressive motorola chips in the 2247s) but should all be quite close.

List updated to note change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Out of interest lads,
    Have either of the known good boxes been tested or do they do VLAN 802.1Q. I know its not really a "home modem" type feature, but Im stuck between Home modem (No VLAN) or enterprise modem (no uPNP)

Out of interest lads,
    Have either of the known good boxes been tested or do they do VLAN 802.1Q. I know its not really a "home modem" type feature, but Im stuck between Home modem (No VLAN) or enterprise modem (no uPNP)

They all have to do it on the WAN side. Afaik ASUS have it on select ports on the LAN too.

Yeah its the LAN side I was looking at.
    If you want to add to the list
    Juniper SRX series with VDSL MIC (does vectoring) although officially not support yet
    Juniper SRX 110va works but no vectoring.

RE: Draytek

As asked
    Would this do to replace the Vodafone fiber router
    DrayTek Vigor 2860ac AC1600 Triple-WAN Dual-Band ADSL2+/VDSL2 WiFi router
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Due to what I would consider bad customer support from DrayTek.co.uk, I don't think I will be buying/suggesting to others any DrayTek devices anytime soon for home or professional use.
    Up and onwards
    ClonNGB wrote: »
    Draytek have released firmware to support vectoring on 2860

Release Note for Vigor2860 Series
    Firmware Version: 3.7.4.2
    Release Date: June 4, 2014
    Applied Models:
    Vigor2860/Vigor2860n/Vigor2860n-plus/Vigor2860Vn-plus
    Vigor2860 series is a VDSL2 router with multi-subnet for secure and efficient workgroup
    management. It integrates IP layer QoS, NAT session/bandwidth management to help users control
    works well with large bandwidth.
    New Features
     Support DSL Vectoring firmware.
     Support configuration of Vigor2820/Vigor2830/Vigor2850 transferred to Vigor2860.
     Support Fiber WAN.
     Add a menu item, Diagnostics>>DNS Cache Table.

they do but you need the "delight" firmware versions

they are optimised for eircom lines

IF the draytek modem does not have delight/dray os firmware do not buy it.. it does not have vectoring support for eircom lines- ONLY BUY THE DELIGHT/DRAY OS VERSIONS
    Bog is an authoritative source here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 0804

Hi not knowing much about routers but can someone tell me if its possible to load IPVanish onto a HG659b My service provider is EIR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Closov

Do any of these alternatives have parental controls? I'm using an eir F2000 and it doesn't work properly. I've tried the HG658c and it doesn't seem to have any controls. (I'm just looking to set time windows for particular devices on WiFi, not domain filtering or anything like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭Sparko

Closov wrote: »
    Do any of these alternatives have parental controls? I'm using an eir F2000 and it doesn't work properly. I've tried the HG658c and it doesn't seem to have any controls. (I'm just looking to set time windows for particular devices on WiFi, not domain filtering or anything like that).

This seems to suggest it's possible on a device by device basis, using the mac address of the device(s) you want to limit:

https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Technical-Support/Parental-Control/td-p/190976

I haven't tried it myself but looks like it might be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Closov

Sparko wrote: »
    This seems to suggest it's possible on a device by device basis, using the mac address of the device(s) you want to limit:

https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Technical-Support/Parental-Control/td-p/190976

I haven't tried it myself but looks like it might be helpful.
    Thanks Sparko, I must be blind, I'll have another go in the morning with fresher eyes!

As the mods have left broadband.... Please dont drag this thread off topic. Its purpose is what units do and don't work. Other functions? Start a new thread. Ta.

Updated

Known Good:
    • F2000 (Huawei HG659b)
    • Huawei HG658c
    • ASUS DSL-AC68U B]Default: OFF[/B- Thanks to Kevin.m

Steer Clear:
    • AVM FRITZ!Box 7390 - Thanks to Murph [SW Vectoring] (Corroborated by Deagol)

I can confirm that the Fritz 7490 now supports vectoring correctly with the current 06.83 firmware. The screenshots show a full sync on a 50/20 line. Previously, the stats would show G.Vector as off.

420202.png

420203.png

Nice.

Are huawei buying broadcom chips or is that a misdetection I wonder.

ED E wrote: »
    Nice.

I'm not sure. I remember seeing Alcatel there with some very old Eircom ADSL DSLAMs but have only ever seen Broadcom since.

A quick Google showed a Danish telco testing G.FAST with Huawei gear with Broadcom chipsets. So I guess it's plausible.

Anyone here using the Assu AC68U, is there a way to check the VDSL stats, sync, noise etc? I cant seem to find it anywhere.
    EDIT: Ignore or delete. Just found its a hidden URL.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

ED E wrote: »

Huawei uses the broadcom chips in both the DSLAM equipment in the cabs, exchanges and in the HG659b (& other HG65x) modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 glanmiredj

Hello , Just got my DSL AC68U to work with Eir Broadband but am now stuck trying to get the STB (e vision) to work.
    I have selected the IPTV LAN port , enabled Multicast (IMGP) but I have a connection error on the tv.
    Has anyone got any settings I can try or any other advice to get this working.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

glanmiredj wrote: »
    am now stuck trying to get the STB (e vision) to work.

Do you have IGMP proxy enabled in the router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 glanmiredj

Yes got it working thanks . Using these settings
    Use DHCP routes - RFHC & MICROSOFT
    Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) - ENABLED
    Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping) - ENABLED
    UDP Proxy (Udpxy) - 0

Advertisement