Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of pizza

Options
  • 24-07-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I can get a great pizza in London, cooked in a wood fired oven ,for a fiver.
    Why can't I get it here in Dublin equally cheaply?
    Rents can't be cheaper, or wages any less in London compared to Dublin, right?
    So is it that someone comes up a price and we all just cough up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Kewreeuss wrote: »

Where in London?
    Was it a chain store or a one off place? Could of done with this info when in London a couple of years ago. Very expensive just to grab a bit of lunch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

There are few things more irritating than comparisons to things in London.

"Everywhere, and everything, should be cheaper and poorer in quality than my London life."

I'm not even sure wages and costs are cheaper here in Dublin as a rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

The markup is huge in Irish pizza chains. So much so I have started making them from scratch at home at a fraction of the cost and better quality. No more bought in pizzas here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

What kind of place was selling woodfried pizza for that price? Fast food joint?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Franco Manco is a chain, but not crap like dominos, etc. They make the pizza base there and dress it in front of you. There are lots of pizzeria outside central at decent prices. Wood fired ovens are in. I can only think of five pizza places here in Dublin and nothing onder 10.
    Even that woodfired takeaway, Base, change 9 90 or something for a weenchy plain pizza.

Ligurdub, you can be annoyed all you like with comparisons. This is not a whinge I really would like to know why a pizza costs so much here in Dublin. Rents, cost of personnel, rates, gas and electricity can't be higher here. Or are they? The materials are flour, water, buckets of tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, with a line of toppings. The pizzerie aren't paying what I would pay for these ingredients. Have you seen paulies or ciao Bella Roma with empty tables?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,929 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Kewreeuss wrote:
    I can get a great pizza in London, cooked in a wood fired oven ,for a fiver. Why can't I get it here in Dublin equally cheaply? Rents can't be cheaper, or wages any less in London compared to Dublin, right? So is it that someone comes up a price and we all just cough up?

You can also pay more in London for pizza. It alliance depends on where you go

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of smaller pizza places in Dublin do extremely cheap pizzas. They usually don't operate delivery services. I'd guess your London one didn't either

Delivery services have cost bases (even if you do it dodgily and don't properly insure/employer drivers) and a decent % of pure loss due to fake orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Franco Manca is £5 for a pizza without cheese. About £6.50 for a margheritta and £7.50 for everything else. It's also unbelievable value compared to others given it's quality. However it's the exception and not the rule.

It's also sit in / collection only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Franco Manca is excellent, but choice is very limited (choice of about 6 pizzas from £5-£8 - nothing else)

Whether it would work in Dublin is debatable - maybe one or two branches.

Great model - virtually no food waste (huge cost), simple menu anybody can follow (no chefs needed), one single cooking implement (pizza oven)

A sort of Ryanair low frills operation (£2 extra for real mozzarella) - great if it suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭OU812

You can get a slice of what I call "Street Pizza" from a window in a pizzeria for $1 in NYC.

Real proper delicious New York Slices
    200110601-2bros-slice.jpg

But I'm not in NYC, I'm in Dublin & the equivalent costs about €3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I find it really confusing how Dominos can get away with charging between 15 and 20 for a pizza, while the local pizzeria cooks stonebaked pizza from scratch starting at 8.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

People will charge what the market will let them get away with, ya know yourself 😎

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Franco Manca is excellent, but choice is very limited (choice of about 6 pizzas from £5-£8 - nothing else)

Great model - virtually no food waste (huge cost), simple menu anybody can follow (no chefs needed), one single cooking implement (pizza oven)

A sort of Ryanair low frills operation (£2 extra for real mozzarella) - great if it suits you.
    There's also the very quick preparation time allowing them big numbers through the doors. Each pizza goes into the oven for less than a minute.

The most popular delivery places in London would be your dominoes and papa Johns which would be very similarly priced in Ireland I assume.

As for sit down places, Pizza Express is by far the biggest and is stupidly over priced. Again, probably exact same as Milano which is the Irish version of the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You can buy a very nice cheese pizza in the frozen section of Tesco for 94c on an ongoing basis, the mark up in pizza places must be massive

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

CeilingFly wrote: »

This place is excellent, £3.95 for 12" margherita

http://www.pizzaunion.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

there are about 8 classic pizzas
    If a place stuck to them and did nothing else and charged €8, they'd clean up.
    A proper well made and cooked pizza is divine.
    Mod could you let me know a few pizzeria that aren't city centre? The ones I know are manifesto, da mimmo and honest pizza as well as the two I mentioned earlier.
    there was a great one out in ballyowen in Lucan but last time I went it had closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I find it really confusing how Dominos can get away with charging between 15 and 20 for a pizza, while the local pizzeria cooks stonebaked pizza from scratch starting at 8.50.

that would be the fact that people when pissed will pay anything for a pizza as long as its close.

think about it theyve had maybe 10 pints paid a fiver for each pint
    they basically spent 50 quid to quench a thirst. now their hungry
    paying 15 quid after an outlandis spend like that is small change or at least it is to the drunken hungry mind.

and the late night pizza joints know this.
    im not gonna lie thereve been nights where ive spent a tenner on a taxi leaving a pub just so i could get to a pizza place before it closes and id have probably gladly paid 25 quid to eat a pizza thankfully it was never that much but the point stands people dont care about cost when their in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

What's the cheapest slice of pizza you can get in the city centre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭whiskeygirl

there are about 8 classic pizzas
    If a place stuck to them and did nothing else and charged €8, they'd clean up.
    A proper well made and cooked pizza is divine.
    Mod could you let me know a few pizzeria that aren't city centre? The ones I know are manifesto, da mimmo and honest pizza as well as the two I mentioned earlier.
    there was a great one out in ballyowen in Lucan but last time I went it had closed

Claire's Pizza in Clondalkin Village opposite the Laurels pub do lovely pizza, no frozen, watery stuff like Dominos etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Again, probably exact same as Milano which is the Irish version of the chain.

There are usually vouchers for 25-50% off food in Milano available 6 days a week - its only 25% this week - http://www.milanooffers.ie/. I ensure never to eat there without a code.

Their prices for drinks are hideous though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭whiskeygirl

What's the cheapest slice of pizza you can get in the city centre?

New-ish place on Liffey Street (think it's in the premises that used to be that African ornament shop) were doing big enough, thick crust pepperoni slices for 2.50 the other night. Greasy as feck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If you start selling cheap pizzas in Dubland the health and safety crowd will come onto you and start giving you a disproportionate amount of grief

If you start selling cheap pizzas in Dubland the health and safety crowd will come onto you and start giving you a disproportionate amount of grief

There have been places selling cheap pizzas in Dublin for 30+ years...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

DiFontaine’s do amazing pizza. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Hipster tax in Dublin.

Ireland is not as strict as the UK when it comes to trades description.

If a place claims to sell homemade, locally sourced, artisan food etc then they have to prove it in the UK or face fines.

Here anyone that can make a sandwich is a "artisan sandwich maker" using only "locally sourced ingredients" (ie Tesco 3 doors down) and charges accordingly.

And people are stupid enough to pay it.

L1011 wrote: »
    There are usually vouchers for 25-50% off food in Milano available 6 days a week - its only 25% this week - http://www.milanooffers.ie/. I ensure never to eat there without a code.

Their prices for drinks are hideous though.
    Aye, pizza express have the same model. Overcharge and get the people in the doors with offers. You'd be surprised how many people eat there full price though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Aye, pizza express have the same model. Overcharge and get the people in the doors with offers. You'd be surprised how many people eat there full price though.

Pizza express = Milano.

Identical -same company. Only difference is name over the door.

Pricey, but you are paying for your surroundings.

Advertisement