Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of pizza

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Franco Manca is £5 for a pizza without cheese.
    I was just looking at the menu and saw that, ridiculous that he did not mention it had no cheese! tomato, garlic, oregano
    -knowing fine well people would presume it did, esp. as he went on to describe ones here as "plain"

http://www.francomanca.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/FM-MENU-EXPANDED-JULY-2017.pdf
    Even that woodfired takeaway, Base, change 9 90 or something for a weenchy plain pizza

it is 9.80 for the "plain" pizza, tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, garnished with fresh basil -which has cheese! :rolleyes:

OU812 wrote: »
    You can get a slice of what I call "Street Pizza" from a window in a pizzeria for $1 in NYC.

Real proper delicious New York Slices
    200110601-2bros-slice.jpg

But I'm not in NYC, I'm in Dublin & the equivalent costs about €3.50.
    Can you mention any places in dublin doing the equivalent for €3.50, I can only think of 1 place that does single slices offhand, that is DiFontaine's which are 3.50, but I can rule them out as the photos online of their slices look bigger than the one in your photo.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g186605-d5821525-r397767903-DiFontaine_s_Pizzeria-Dublin_County_Dublin.html#photos;geo=186605&detail=5821525&ff=192478861&albumViewMode=hero&aggregationId=101&albumid=101&baseMediaId=192478861&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7&autoplay=

Looking on google sites say the average pizza slice in NY is $2.75. I saw no $1 places when I was there years ago. I see this article bemoaning the rise of the $1 slice.

http://gadling.com/2012/09/07/new-york-citys-mostly-unfortunate-1-pizza-slice-phenomenon/
    I’ve recently found my dad’s match for the worst pizza I’ve ever tasted. And it’s right where I live in New York City. In the last few years a recent phenomenon has emerged on the city’s dining landscape: $1 pizza slices.

The phrase, you pay for what you get, very much applies here. I talked to Adam Kuban, founding editor of the website Serious Eats and editor and founder of Slice, a blog dedicated to all things pizza. “I think the recession is the big force driving the rise of the dollar slice,” he said. “I don’t know about other folks, but for me, once a plain slice started creeping up near the $3 mark, it ceased to be an automatic transaction. Two bucks? Fine. Two-fifty? Um, OK, sure. Because even at $2.50, if you’re getting two slices, like a lot of people do, it’s still an even fiver. Once you break the $2.50 barrier, though (the average price in Manhattan seems to be holding around $2.75), you start to think about the price in terms of MORE THAN $5.”
    A good point. South Brooklyn Pizza in the East Village, one of the best slices in the city, in my opinion, is a whopping $4 per slice. It’s worth it, though. But, as Kuban pointed out, with that kind of pricing it’s not automatic anymore.

I think €3.50 is expensive for those pictured, but how many places do single slices in dublin? to me its a gimmick, a niche market and they charge for it accordingly. I expect a bag of italian/irish chipper chips in NY or a batter sausage or batter burger would cost a lot more than chippers here -I reckon it would also be a bit of a gimmick over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

I find it really confusing how Dominos can get away with charging between 15 and 20 for a pizza, while the local pizzeria cooks stonebaked pizza from scratch starting at 8.50.

Because people are idiots and will pay for sh it food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Economy of scales. London mostly like sell way more. Hence they can buy their ingredients, boxes etc in bulk and pay a lot less than the restaurant in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Star pizza on Talbot street do a 9 inch pizza with two toppings, chips, dip and coke for a fiver. Always busy as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Franco Manca is £5 for a pizza without cheese. About £6.50 for a margheritta and £7.50 for everything else. It's also unbelievable value compared to others given it's quality. However it's the exception and not the rule.

It's also sit in / collection only.

A pizza without cheese is not a pizza.
    I find it really confusing how Dominos can get away with charging between 15 and 20 for a pizza, while the local pizzeria cooks stonebaked pizza from scratch starting at 8.50.

Demand, people are paying 15 quid for a pizza, why would they lower the price? It is expensive for what you get, it's not even good pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

A pizza without cheese is not a pizza.

Factually incorrect :)

The accepted original pizza is a marinara pizza - and it did not have cheese.

It is debatable whether this or the margherita was the original, but cheeseless is more authentic Italian than almost every other type.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

A pizza in my local in Malaga city is 2.50. Whole pizza. I get the veggie one with extra pineapple. They dont charge me extra for the pineapple

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Star Pizza Talbot street
    9 inch 2 topping
    Handful of chips
    Can of pop
    BBQ or garlic sauce
    All for €6, was only €5 til a few months back

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Factually incorrect :)

The accepted original pizza is a marinara pizza - and it did not have cheese.

It is debatable whether this or the margherita was the original, but cheeseless is more authentic Italian than almost every other type.

They definitely got it wrong ;)
    Patww79 wrote: »

No it doesn't, shít pizza still remains shít pizza. Liking it doesn't change that status. I have eaten dominos in the past and will probably eat it again in the future, but I know it's not good pizza. I don't know too many places in Dublin that does authentic pizza, but Da Mimmo on North Strand Road does fantastic pizza's. Most expensive pizza is 14 euro (take away). Margarita is only €9. ;)

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I remember going on a date a couple of years back with an Italian summer student, he was shocked at the price of pizza here.

Nearly fainted outside Milanos.

Yea, you don't like it, that's fair enough. It doesn't make it shít pizza.

Dominos, apache, etc, they are all rubbish pizzas.

Yea, you don't like it, that's fair enough. It doesn't make it shít pizza.

Dominos, apache, etc, they are all rubbish pizzas.

Thank god. Here was me thinking it was down to personal taste. What else are we not allowed to class as decent oh wise one?

No no, the quality of an authentic italian pizza is far far superior to the likes of Dominos, apache or pizza hut. Christ, pizza hut spray vegetable oil on the pizza when it comes out of the oven, it looks more "appealing", supposedly.

Nobody is saying they are wrong for liking it, but it's not the best pizza on offer.
    What else are we not allowed to class as decent oh wise one?

That's not being disputed here. I think you are missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

ligerdub wrote: »
    There are few things more irritating than comparisons to things in London.

"Everywhere, and everything, should be cheaper and poorer in quality than my London life."

I'm not even sure wages and costs are cheaper here in Dublin as a rule.

A fiver for a pizza in London? Sure I got a great pizza in Berlin for 4 euro. So a fiver in London is obviously a complete rip off :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Marketing and a national lack of taste when it comes to pizza is all it is really. :D

In Australia or Canada you can get a 9" pizza from Dominos with 2-3 toppings for $5 (so about €3.50). Over here it's what... five times that? The reason is that in Canada and Australia it has a reputation for being cheap junk food like McDonalds, Burger King, etc. Over here some people seem to deem it as fecking gourmet cuisine for some reason.

Funny enough while they're hit and miss, some chippers do some pretty solid pizzas here alright (and at typically fair prices like you said).

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I remember going on a date a couple of years back with an Italian summer student, he was shocked at the price of pizza here.

Nearly fainted outside Milanos.
    Pro tip for the scroungers: I make my own pizzas sometimes and priced it up a while back - a batch of 12 works out to about 80c each I think it was including cheese and sauce. You can freeze extra ones and the sauce (handiest to do so in an ice cube container, two cubes to one pizza). If you're not picky, whatever scraps are in the fridge like the spare few mushrooms or bit of sweetcorn, or those two rashers and sausages with only a few days left on them, and you're sorted.

Only takes a couple of swings to actually really get the knack of it too, and nowhere near as time consuming as it might seem. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This is a mad thread because the underlying assumption is that all pizzas are the same.

It's like me saying that I can buy a sirloin in Lidl for six quid therefore Shanahans charging 45 quid is a rip off. Is that comparing like with like?

Price comparisons work for a litre of milk or a pound of mince, after that it turns into a soapbox for people to rant.

"You can make it cheaper at home" ffs.

This is a mad thread because the underlying assumption is that all pizzas are the same.
    I'd imagine a Dominos pizza in Ireland is by and large much the same in Canada as it is in Australia as it is in Ireland, yet in Australia a standard 9.5" pepperoni pizza is $5.95 (€4), in Canada it was $5 (€3.50)... in Ireland? €10.

It reminds me of a hot spongecake with sugary tomato sauce on top but taste is subjective so to each their own, still it's pretty clear Ireland gets ridden on their pricing.

No no, the quality of an authentic italian pizza is far far superior to the likes of Dominos, apache or pizza hut. Christ, pizza hut spray vegetable oil on the pizza when it comes out of the oven, it looks more "appealing", supposedly.

Nobody is saying they are wrong for liking it, but it's not the best pizza on offer.

I think you are missing the point.
    I think you are the on missing the point. You are going on as though there is some sort of quality meter out there and its results are irrefutable, as though it is a physical property people cannot question, like "this pizza is 500grams, has 900kcal and a quality rating of 78" you talk about it having a "status" -seems really odd to me.

Maybe you simply have a different definition of "quality" than most here.

The pizzas in different places, made with very similar ingredients, can be quite different things. If a chef gets a potato and makes chipper chips or mcdonalds shoestring chips I wonder what your "quality meter" would make of them, is one going to be clearly better "quality" and the other deemed "rubbish". What about bread and eggs, could make french toast, a boiled egg sandwich or scambled egg on toast. I like french toast, some hate it, I would not be saying to someone eating the sandwich

No no, the quality of authentic french toast is far far superior to the likes of an egg sandwich

Nobody is saying they are wrong for liking it, but it's not the best thing you can do with eggs & bread.

Billy86 wrote: »
    In Australia or Canada you can get a 9" pizza from Dominos with 2-3 toppings for $5 (so about €3.50). Over here it's what... five times that? The reason is that in Canada and Australia it has a reputation for being cheap junk food like McDonalds, Burger King, etc. Over here some people seem to deem it as fecking gourmet cuisine for some reason.
    I always like to check these "grass is greener" claims, esp. to see if it is like for like comparisons or just bullshit.

I checked dominos in canada and put in a dummy order (collect not delivery) for a 10" (smallest option) with cheese and 3 extra toppings and it is CAD$16.09 which is 11euro for collection. On the irish site a 9.5" with cheese and 3 toppings is also 11 euro.

Can tell you for a fact the one on College Street in Toronto is $5 for two toppings on a 9 inch a year back (not a fan of the stuff, but when you're hungover, broke and it's 50 metres from your door you sometimes cave). I just did the same and checked, looks like it is now one topping offered - small for $5.31, medium for $7 or large for $9 now which in Ontario would be $6, $7.90 and $10.20 with tax - comes out to €4.10 small, €5.40 medium or €7 large.

In Ireland that is €8, €12 or €15 without any toppings, or €10, €14, €18 with one topping (though Ireland does have the caveat that the second topping is free).

rubadub wrote: »
    I always like to check these "grass is greener" claims, esp. to see if it is like for like comparisons or just bullshit.
    well I was right there! total BS,

Comparing the discount deals in canada to full price here, utterly ridiculous!!

you said it is 8 for a small with no toppings here.
    I can get a small one for 8euro, with 9 toppings.

Original Cheese & Tomato
    Small 9.5"
    Classic Crust
    Chicken Breast Strips
    Ground Beef
    Pepperoni
    Pork Meatballs
    Smoked Bacon Rashers
    Tandoori Chicken
    Goats Cheese
    Prosciutto Ham
    Ventricina Salami
    €7.99

rubadub wrote: »
    well I was right there! total BS,

Comparing the discount deals in canada to full price here, utterly ridiculous!!

you said it is 8 for a small with no toppings here.
    I can get a small one for 8euro, with 9 toppings.

Original Cheese & Tomato
    Small 9.5"
    Classic Crust
    Chicken Breast Strips
    Ground Beef
    Pepperoni
    Pork Meatballs
    Smoked Bacon Rashers
    Tandoori Chicken
    Goats Cheese
    Prosciutto Ham
    Ventricina Salami
    €7.99
    As I said it was 2 for $5 two years back - so it seems that changed. And it's still right there on their website with one topping at $6 tax included.

Where is that one? Lowest I'm seeing on their deals is €11 for a 7", wedges/garlic bread and a coke and using the make your own it comes to €12. Can't see anything for a 9.5" for €8 pizza on it's own on their Irish website.

As I said it was 2 for $5 two years back - so it seems that changed.
    And I expect dominos here had some decent deals in the last 2 years too.

your first comment was this
    In Australia or Canada you can get a 9" pizza from Dominos with 2-3 toppings for $5 (so about €3.50). Over here it's what... five times that?
    Hugely exaggerating.
    Where is that one?
    3rd from the bottom on the right.
    https://www.dominos.ie/deals/storedeals

Collect Special - Small Pizza for €7.99
    ANY Small Pizza for an Amazing €7.99 - Collection only

It is still expensive in my mind, the "junk mail" pizza places always are, half price is normal price, you would be mad to pay more. Last time I did go to one I think it was 25% normal price, some national pizza day or something.

Romayos is a big chipper chain here. They do an ongoing deal for 9.99

12" Magherita Pizza, Chicken Goujons (4), Onion rings (3), Choice of Sauce, Portion of Chips.

I would be full enough on a portion of their chips alone. Toppings are 1 or 1.50 more, 1.50 for meat/cheese ones.

Or for 13.99 pizza margherita, 2 portions of regular chips, 5 chicken goujons, 3 onion rings, 2 4oz sauces

Guess it must vary from one place to the next which would also explain 2 toppings for $5 in the one near where I was... mine is showing medium pizza, chicken strippers and cookies for €20 in that space.

That deal was there consistently while I was over there, and while not the same one anymore is still very similar. I was off on saying 4-5 times the price though, will agree there though from what I can see it is still coming out to nearly 2.5 times the price. Romayo's prices seem better, do agree there and I had said chippers while hit and miss do good pizzas often at good prices - I guess I just know too many people under the impression that Dominos is worth more than others because "it's the best" (while mystifyingly considering chipper pizzas as 'dodgy' for whatever reason, probably a lack of TV ads?), I mean to each their own but it's just not good stuff

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭893bet

I love pizza. Moved back "home" recently so there is a 35min round trip to get a pizza now.

Do I make my own. Not from scratch but improvise.

A tortilla wrap, spoon of dolmio, grated mozz, onion, frozen sweet corn, some pepperoni, bacon, chicken or beef from the dinner.

Done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭893bet

Mmmmmm. Does it taste as good as dominos. Prob not. It's close though.

And costs around a euro a pizza max.

Advertisement