Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Wrongly fined €150 for illegal dumping

124

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    Dr Ben wrote:
    An elderly woman was taking advantage of yet they they fine her instead of going after the scumbags that ripped her off.


    They didn't fine her, the OP is being fined for illegal dumping not his Mum.


  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Dr Ben


    . A legit waste contractor would be more expensive, because the waste is disposed of properly.


    You won't find any legit waste contractors in Ireland they all are very dodgy when you look into them and have their accounts off shore.

    The latest scam is that they now want the "right" to access private property and fine people who put their rubbish in the wrong bin.


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,608 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    Legit waste contractors that don't dump your bags in ditches is what was meant.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    Dr Ben wrote:
    You won't find any legit waste contractors in Ireland they all are very dodgy when you look into them and have their accounts off shore.


    Really?


  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Dr Ben


    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Legit waste contractors that don't dump your bags in ditches is what was meant.

    One of the big waste firms in Dublin have been known to take part in illegal dumping.

    There was even criminal charges brought against one company.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ Grab All Association


    laotg wrote: »
    Very confusing OP. So the lad comes and quotes 3500 to sort out the birds nest, your mother gets it down to 2000 but eventually ends up paying 200. After this massive discount he then goes and takes your rubbish from the attic without you or your mother asking him to?

    You have evidence of what you texted your friends, no court in the land will accept that as proof of anything.

    So the judge would rule that the OP has obviously traveled back in time weeks/months before the fine was issued to falsify text messages between him and his friend?


  • Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭✭ enterprise2017


    paulb06 wrote: »
    Hi,

    Would like some advice.

    We availed of a 'classified' ad in Northside People in April for someone to come and fix a gutter issue where birds were nesting.

    The man came out to my mother on her own while I was in work, had a look at the problem and quoted her €3.5k to sort it out. She said no way, however he went and done it anyway and demanded €2000 after the work was done. Basically a cowboy builder, anyway to cut a long story short, he ended up taking just €200 from us which already explains the type of person he was.

    The issue I have is that he emptied our attic out of the stuff that was up there (old stuff that we never threw out, black bags) - my mam didn't know all my personal stuff was there either, he put them all in his truck (after leaving and coming back with 4 other men) then he went and 'fixed' the gutter telling us the rubbish would be sent to a recycling facility - never received evidence of this and now I know why.

    Only today have I received a illegal littering fine of €150, the absolute moron dumped the rubbish and never sent it to a recycling facility, I received a photo from the council of a big pile of rubbish, all of it was not mine, with photocopies of my wage slips (shoebox of all old wage slips that I kept was taken when he took all the black bags from the attic)



    I have the classified ad still as the experience we had was disgraceful.

    What are my options regarding appealing this fine?

    I am willing to fight this all the way, my mother was intimidated by this asshole and he knew this.

    I have screenshots of conversations with friends over what happened back in April so I am hoping this will be some sort of evidence to show what went on and that it wasn't us who dumped this, furthermore if I was illegally dumping, which I NEVER would, why would I be that stupid to throw out all my wage slips and personal information with them?

    Sorry for the long post.

    Tell you have you consulted a lawyer?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    Tell you have you consulted a lawyer?


    The suggestion now is to go to America for legal advice?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    So the judge would rule that the OP has obviously traveled back in time weeks/months before the fine was issued to falsify text messages between him and his friend?


    Any thoughts that the OP is slightly economical with the truth?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭ Mrs Shuttleworth


    Dr Ben wrote: »
    So the OP is guilty until he can prove hes innocent.

    It should be up to the court to prove he dumped the rubbish before any fines are given out.

    The OP's story is disjointed with holes in it but a similar incident happened to me 20 years ago.

    I used a local accountant who dumped his rubbish in black sacks on the path untagged and the Council found a carbon copy (those were the days) of a letter to me and fined me for the privilege.

    I went on The Gerry Ryan Show about it, got grovelling apologies all round and small amount of compo from DCC.


  • Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭✭ enterprise2017


    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The suggestion now is to go to America for legal advice?

    cheaper than one of ours lol


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,872 ✭✭✭✭ noodler


    Yours should be <snip>
    So the cowboy builder is alright and can continue, since the incompetent gombeens at the council won't bother their hole going after them?

    OP, don't listen to <snip>on the internet, contact the gards and a solicitor.

    Nonsense.

    Stop throwing your toys out of the pram.

    Council are absolutely correct to go after the person whose personal details are in the litter.

    That would be the culprit 99% of the time.

    You calling them "jobsworths" or "gombeens" to make a point is pathetically childish.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    cheaper than one of ours lol


    True, cudos.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭ LionelNashe


    The council are correct to fine somebody who uses an unlicenced contractor to remove waste. If it goes to court, the fine can be as high as €5k. €150 is cheap.

    They should go after the contractor at the same time, but that's a separate issue and nothing to do with whether or not the householder should be fined.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭ lucernarian


    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Link doesn't work.


    So the use of a Ferry is somehow similar to illegal dumping, explain please


    You are required to be responsible with the disposal of waste. The fine is for irresponsibility.

    Why because you feel everyone should agree with the OP, differing opinions upset you?

    I hate multi-quote replies, hard to follow and respond to and drag a discussion down to the pedantic minutiae of lines and sentences. So I'll keep it short. Ferry's is the name of an "interesting" rubbish disposal crowd in Donegal. It should have been blindly obvious I wasn't talking about using boats from the context and from the fact that the plural of "ferry" is "ferries". Not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse.

    I fixed the link. And please don't speak on my behalf as to how much I agree with the OP, I merely said that it's not as hard to follow as people are making out. I also happen to think there is a remarkable level of ignorant and obnoxious posting going on, more akin to After Hours or Politics than a specialised forum like this. People should really wonder if they would say what they write in real life.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    I fixed the link. And please don't speak on my behalf as to how much I agree with the OP, I merely said that it's not as hard to follow as people are making out. I also happen to think there is a remarkable level of ignorant and obnoxious posting going on, more akin to After Hours or Politics than a specialised forum like this. People should really wonder if they would say what they write in real life.


    I would have absolutely no problem in repeating what I have wrote in as you put it real life. I fail to see what is obnoxious or ignorant in the posts here. Not speaking on your behalf read what I wrote it's still there, phrased as a question.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭ nuac


    Dr Ben wrote: »
    An elderly woman was taking advantage of yet they they fine her instead of going after the scumbags that ripped her off.

    Sure Ireland is a great little country to be a criminal.

    The Council are not responsible for this incident


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭ nuac


    Love the hindsight some people here have. Obviously have never dealt with these types of thugs.

    And on praising the council for a job well done? I think it's a fairly poor effort on their part. Not bothering to investigate the circumstances before issuing a fine to the person mosr likely to pay, and not going after the dumper.

    Actually I have acted for householders caught with this scam. There has been some pirate operators who, for pay, collect stuff from houses, promising to dispose of it lawfully. Difficult for local authority to identify them. Whatever else may be left in the rubbish there will be nothing incriminating the illegal operator.

    Most local authorities will go after the pirate if they get the evidence.

    There are some parts of this story causing me to wonder. E.g. he seems more concerned with the OTS fine of 150 Euro rather than with the fact that five guys, only one of which he has met, came into his mother's attic when she was by herself in the house and cleared it. I would have gone to AGS about that pronto.

    Does he realise that the On the Spot fine of Euro 150 in purely concessionary?. Designed for minor incidents.

    In the case of major breaches of the Litter Pollution code the Council may in its discretion issue summonses to the District Court. Max fine 3,000 Euro on each summons
    .
    There appear to be a number of offences here, so there may be more than one summons

    Of course we may not have the full story nor the correct story here.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭ nuac


    paulb06 wrote: »
    My mother called me after he had left, crying down the phone that she has to go down to the bank and withdraw €2,000, that he will be back at 2pm to collect the money. (he being the man who arrived on his own before getting the other 4)

    The bags were gone at the stage when she called.

    She was intimidated, frightened and wanted them out of the house - there was no telling them to leave the bags there.

    5 men versus my 65 year old mother. What would you do?

    I would phone AGS immediately, and get there myself. In the meantime I would ask a reliable neighbour to call to your mother.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭ nuac


    The problem is that the cowboy can carry on illegally dumping rubbish because the council don't care.
    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The suggestion now is to go to America for legal advice?

    Where was that suggested?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭ TheChizler


    nuac wrote: »
    Where was that suggested?
    I think someone used the term lawyer instead of solicitor, and the only possible response was to be deliberately obtuse.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭ nuac


    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Any thoughts that the OP is slightly economical with the truth?

    Agreed.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell


    Yours should be <Mod:snip>
    So the cowboy builder is alright and can continue, since the incompetent gombeens at the council won't bother their hole going after them?

    OP, don't listen to <Mod:snip> on the internet, contact the gards and a solicitor.

    Mod: dr.fuzzenstein banned for offensive language.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭ lucernarian


    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I would have absolutely no problem in repeating what I have wrote in as you put it real life. I fail to see what is obnoxious or ignorant in the posts here. Not speaking on your behalf read what I wrote it's still there, phrased as a question.

    "
    Why because you feel everyone should agree with the OP"

    Just to re-emphasise, that's not a question. Some other question was stuck on with a comma. You're being liberal with the truth here.

    One user has already gotten banned for the language used so clearly there's an issue with some of the posts. My main beef is with the focus on the OP's supposed bad behaviour when there are folks, we all know the sort, who are leaving rubbish around with impunity, can make tens of thousands and more per year, and are subject to fines that are really not that severe for the most flagrant offences at least not if convicted under the litter act 1997.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    " Why because you feel everyone should agree with the OP"
    So you cropped the sentence to exclude a question.
    Just to re-emphasise, that's not a question. Some other question was stuck on with a comma. You're being liberal with the truth here.
    Actually the rest of the sentence after the comma was relevant it posed a question relating to the first part.
    Now liberal with the truth, explain please.
    One user has already gotten banned for the language used so clearly there's an issue with some of the posts. My main beef is with the focus on the OP's supposed bad behaviour when there are folks, we all know the sort, who are leaving rubbish around with impunity, can make tens of thousands and more per year, and are subject to fines that are really not that severe for the most flagrant offences at least not if convicted under the litter act 1997.

    The OP's supposed bad behaviour relates to rubbish being found which contains information that identifies him as the owner, hes being fined on this basis. I'm sticking with the topic of the thread. You however if you wish may engage in 'Whataboutery ' about the actions of others.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭ lucernarian


    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So you cropped the sentence to exclude a question.


    Actually the rest of the sentence after the comma was relevant it posed a question relating to the first part.
    Now liberal with the truth, explain please.



    The OP's supposed bad behaviour relates to rubbish being found which contains information that identifies him as the owner, hes being fined on this basis. I'm sticking with the topic of the thread. You however if you wish may engage in 'Whataboutery ' about the actions of others.

    I suggest you Google what a straw man is. It's not even your first in this thread. Your remark about going to America for legal advice was equally inane and and in another poster's words, "deliberately obtuse".

    By your own words you say the first part was related to the question. So, can you show me the evidence for saying I "feel" everyone should agree with the OP? That's right; you can't.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    I suggest you Google what a straw man is. It's not even your first in this thread. Your remark about going to America for legal advice was equally inane and and in another poster's words, "deliberately obtuse".


    Going to America for legal advice was tongue in cheek and considering my interaction with another poster about said comment shows at least one person has a sense of humour.
    I haven't attempted to put forward a straw man argument at all. So please stop attributing things to me that I did not engage in. Honesty is a nice quality to have. Now I have work to do and apologies but I won't be engaging with you any further.


  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ paulb06


    Wow wasn't expecting there to be such a debate over this, was just asking for advice and I am not replying to all the keyboards warriors as much as it annoys the hell out of me.

    I will appeal, if unsuccessful which from reading here I probably will be, I have no issue paying the €150.

    Sorry if there appears to be "holes" in my story but I can assure you what happened, happened.

    I am happy to answer questions on what doesn't make sense and will try make sense of it.

    My mam only dealt with one man who she spoke to initially, the other 4 were called in to help remove the stuff from the attic - she had no dealings with them. He was the intimidating one and clearly did this many time before.

    He went up the attic, then he went out the back with a ladder, came back in 5 minutes to my mam and said 'OK that's done now, but I'm going to have to charge you €2,000" my mam replied advising she never asked him to do it, then she got frightened as he was so intimidating and just "agreed" to the price to get him out of the house. Then she called me about it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    paulb06 wrote:
    He went up the attic, then he went out the back with a ladder, came back in 5 minutes to my mam and said 'OK that's done now, but I'm going to have to charge you €2,000" my mam replied advising she never asked him to do it, then she got frightened as he was so intimidating and just "agreed" to the price to get him out of the house. Then she called me about it.

    So your Mum was intimidated, but it never occurred to you to involve the Guards? Why not?


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭ alig123aileen


    Hi there I posted my comments before. I respect everyone's right to have differing views. But personal attacks here and on you are unwarranted undeserved and intolerable in my view. If these people could direct their negative energy towards positive solutions that would be a real outcome!

    The blame vitrol and moral police attitude is alive and kicking and lurking on boards just Waiting for the unsuspected poster to kick the crap outta him when he is already down and looking for help. I say shame to all of them! Good luck with your battle with the council!


Advertisement