Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite DS9 character?

Options
  • 06-07-2017 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭

Just in the middle of S4 on a rewatch of DS9, fav character for me has to be Quark.

Poll added, hope i've not missed any

Favourite DS9 Character 108 votes

Sisko
    0% 1 vote
    Kira Nerys
    2% 3 votes
    Jadzia Dax
    3% 4 votes
    Odo
    4% 5 votes
    Bashir
    3% 4 votes
    Quark
    1% 2 votes
    Jake
    12% 13 votes
    Rom
    0% 0 votes
    Nog
    0% 0 votes
    Garak
    0% 1 vote
    Gul Dukat
    48% 52 votes
    Worf
    1% 2 votes
    Miles O'Brien
    4% 5 votes
    Ezri Dax
    13% 15 votes
    Keiko O'Brien
    0% 1 vote
    Someone Else
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Inviere wrote: »
    Hard to look past Garak

Yep and Dukat, but Garak would shade it

"And all it took was the self respect of one star fleet captain" perhaps his best line?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

Mron is the only character worth following....his arch over the 7 seasons was the template for Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hard to look past Garak

Like Garak, but IMO he wasn't utilised enough in the episodes, could have delved a LOT deeper, although i am only on the middle of S4 so that may come, can;t remember if they did first time around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Evade

Definitely Garak. I think he was used just enough, if he had shown up more regularly I think it would have lessened the whole mystique.

One of his best lines:
    Garak "My dear Doctor, they're all true."
    Bashir "Even the lies?"
    Garak "Especially the lies."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Definitely Garak, particularly his line that the moral of the story Boy who cried wolf is to never tell the same lie twice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Garak, followed by Dukat, followed by Worf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

I'd have to go with Quark but I could have as easily gone with Garak or Gul Dukat.
    Kira Nerys, Jadzia Dax, Jake, Ezri Dax and Keiko would make up the bottom of your list for me in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I think Garak is certainly a character who was better for how little we knew about him.

Over-using him would have lessened him. The frequent suggestions that he should have been brought back in a new series or even be the focus of one, I understand but I just can't agree with.

This is the sentiment of children who want to eat all the sweets in the shop. This is the sentiment that made the Borg bland and tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I know he is Irish so there is a bias there, but O Brien was a great character. He was the everyman of the show (saw the producers say this on a DVD extras bit) and yet held his own on a good few eps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Doing this the other way never really liked Keiko O'Brien, maybe you weren't supposed to like the character she defo rated alongside Kai Winn in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Kai Winn can **** right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

And no mention of Leeta? Can't have DS9 without a dabo girl.

Over-using him would have lessened him. The frequent suggestions that he should have been brought back in a new series or even be the focus of one, I understand but I just can't agree with.
    I'd love a Star Trek anthology series that had a look at where TNG/DS9/VOY character were around the start of the 25th century. I think a Garak story could work very well in a series like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Another vote for Garek, but i think Chief OBrien was great as well, the amount of times he was killed, kidnapped, stranded or replaced is ridiculous throughout the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Kira is a great and very fleshed out character, and brilliantly acted by Nana Visitor. That is, once you get passed the first few "I'm an angry Bajoran" episodes. By the time you get to "Duet" in the first season, she starts hitting her stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think Quark, he was probably the most human character on the show. After him it has to be Worf.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Kira is a great and very fleshed out character, and brilliantly acted by Nana Visitor. That is, once you get passed the first few "I'm an angry Bajoran" episodes. By the time you get to "Duet" in the first season, she starts hitting her stride.

For all the back story and development of the character I have to stay she remained one of the most annoying characters in it.

Garak for me, just in front of Quark

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I quite liked Kira's arc, and she became one of the most fleshed out characters in the show. On my most recent re-watch, i really enjoyed the Bajoran story, and you really see her evolve from the angry person she started as. Her relationship with Sisko was great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Evade wrote: »
    I'd love a Star Trek anthology series that had a look at where TNG/DS9/VOY character were around the start of the 25th century. I think a Garak story could work very well in a series like that.

That I would enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The development of Garak (Who got my vote) was fantastic and unprecedented for a Star Trek series. To have him in place that long (2nd episode) and slowly build up his character. Sure, I'd imagine that the specifics of his character arc was pretty fluid as the writers planned their overall storylines. But you instantly knew he was some form of spy. When you compare his character progression with, say, any of the Maquis in Voyager, it's fantastic. When Voyager was announced they initially made a big deal about the fact that this would be a Federation and Maquis crew that would have their own opinions and politics and this could have been interesting. But there was no character development of ANY of the characters (But that's been discussed extensively in other threads)

Plus, he had ALL the best scenes and lines:

BASHIR: But the point is, if you lie all the time, nobody's going to believe you even when you're telling the truth.
    GARAK: Are you sure that's the point, Doctor?
    BASHIR: Of course. What else could it be?
    GARAK: That you should never tell the same lie twice.

GARAK: Precisely. And the more the Dominion protests their innocence, the more the Romulans will believe they're guilty because it's exactly what the Romulans would have done in their place. That's why you came to me, isn't it, Captain? Because you knew I could do those things that you weren't capable of doing. Well, it worked. And you'll get what you want, a war between the Romulans and the Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant and all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wish Q and Garak met

Favourite character is Chief O'Brien

He's not genetically enhanced, an emissary, a former assassin, a terrorist, a Klingon, a shapeshifter nor does he have a slug inside him.

Just a regular guy with a family who fixes things for a living.

Garak, Worf, Sisko, Quark and Martok are all awesome too!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd agree on Garak but I have to say, Dukat was almost as good. The entire arc he went through - from bad guy, to reluctant ally/sorta good guy, to bad guy again, to crazed loon was just brilliant to watch and fantastic acting. Watching him and Garak together was great:

Ziyal really expanded the character though.. and the episode Waltz with him and Sisko trapped on a moon together is fantastic TV.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That scene led to my favourite Garak lines ever. Skip to 2:28 for the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Garak for me also. Though i see sisko hasnt been mentioned yet in a comment. I wasnt particularly gone on character, or the whole arc he had, but i thought the actor was good, seemed like he had just come of a stage as he seemed to be projecting his voice a lot which amused me

Lu Tze wrote: »
    but i thought the actor was good, seemed like he had just come of a stage as he seemed to be projecting his voice a lot which amused me
    If you watch the Captains documentary Avery Brooks seems to be at 11 most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    and the episode Waltz with him and Sisko trapped on a moon together is fantastic TV.

It is. Just watched it now for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Quark just edges out the competition for me slightly, although closely followed by O'Brien, Nog, Garak, and Morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Liked Jadzia Dax as she is a babe, and could kick ass. Also, good presence.

Liked Miles as he was a stubborn lad who refused to back down, but liked fixing things.

And finally I liked Garack as lack of back story at the start allowed us to learn of his past during the film. He played the role of an ex-Soviet spy who was thrown to the wolves, but yet you never knew what side he was on.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Garak and Dukat but out of the two Garak.

Garak had an interesting place in DS9 in that his interactions with other characters were really well done. O'Brien and Bashir had that really good friendship going on but Garak had a similar indepth feel with multiple other characters. He was the loveable rogue.

Advertisement