Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite DS9 character?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Garak. So many of his quotes are epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

my3cents wrote: »
    Doing this the other way never really liked Keiko O'Brien, maybe you weren't supposed to like the character she defo rated alongside Kai Winn in my book.

The fact that she was played by one of the worst actors of all time didn't help.

Jesus, she was bad. Tommy Wiseau levels of bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I really don't get the hate for Keiko, I like see Chief O'Briens family life...Plus she gave Worf his best lines...

Ezri Dax is much worse.

I hate Kai Winn too but she's a great villain you're supposed to hate her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I really don't get the hate for Keiko, I like see Chief O'Briens family life...Plus she gave Worf his best lines...

Ezri Dax is much worse.

I hate Kai Winn too but she's a great villain you're supposed to hate her!

Ezri was a bit off-putting after years of a far better Jadzia Dax. She always felt like a mini/lame version of Jadzia (minus the Klingon-bashing "old-man")

Was never a massive fan of Keiko, but I felt that she went well with O'Brien. Their kid was annoying as hell though...Star Trek has rarely been good with child actors.

I choose Sisko in the poll (I also think Garak was awesome, but the Captain deserves some love), however my DS9 favourite was always Weyoun.

There's something about him that often lifted an episode of me. There's something truly chilling about a villain who lulls you with kindness, only to have you cut down by his Jem'Hadar as soon as you get in his way. Weyoun and the other Vorta really made the Dominion into a complete and truly entertaining villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

To be honest there were very few characters who I didn't like, which was the strength of the show. Obviously I disliked Winn but that's exactly what you're supposed to think about her. I wasn't keen on Kira initially but she grew on me. Same with Bashir.

Jake was one of my favourites. It's rare to get a kid character who isn't terribly written and I enjoyed his character's journey. Plus he had incredible chemistry with Avery Brooks. You could totally buy into them as father and son.

Rom and Leeta were great; Garak obviously. Dukat is one of TV's great badguys.

I'd be tempted by O'Brien but I'm going to take Sisko. DS9 is his story, after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

Beefy78 wrote: »
    To be honest there were very few characters who I didn't like, which was the strength of the show. Obviously I disliked Winn but that's exactly what you're supposed to think about her. I wasn't keen on Kira initially but she grew on me. Same with Bashir.

Jake was one of my favourites. It's rare to get a kid character who isn't terribly written and I enjoyed his character's journey. Plus he had incredible chemistry with Avery Brooks. You could totally buy into them as father and son.

Rom and Leeta were great; Garak obviously. Dukat is one of TV's great badguys.

I'd be tempted by O'Brien but I'm going to take Sisko. DS9 is his story, after all.

That's a very good point with Jake, and I'm only realizing now that feat they had managed with him (and Nog aswell).

Sci-Fi throughout the 80's and 90's was awash with annoying Child insert characters from the likes of Boxey in the original BSG, to V's 'Star Child', classic Weasley Crusher and ending of course with our favourite 'Captian's Assistant' Naomi Wildman (shudder).

I believe this was done as a means of trying to 'relate' to younger audiences, while ironically usually doing the opposite (Dear God I hated the fact that a kid could fly the Enterprise. It bugged me no end. I was delighted when he left.)

However, Jake never seemed to register on that level. He simply made sense being there on DS9. His relationship with his dad was very believable as was his friendship with Nog, who also made sense in his own non-annoying way.

Jake and Nog were not annoying Child insert characters which goes to show how well the DS9 characters were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Odo hasn't been mentioned once! I'm not saying he was the best, Garak got my vote, just ahead of O'brien, but I thought he played really well against Quark.
    Such a good show though.
    Kai Winn was a brilliant villain. And Weyoun was amazing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Rawr wrote: »
    That's a very good point with Jake, and I'm only realizing now that feat they had managed with him (and Nog aswell).

Sci-Fi throughout the 80's and 90's was awash with annoying Child insert characters from the likes of Boxey in the original BSG, to V's 'Star Child', classic Weasley Crusher and ending of course with our favourite 'Captian's Assistant' Naomi Wildman (shudder).

I believe this was done as a means of trying to 'relate' to younger audiences, while ironically usually doing the opposite (Dear God I hated the fact that a kid could fly the Enterprise. It bugged me no end. I was delighted when he left.)

However, Jake never seemed to register on that level. He simply made sense being there on DS9. His relationship with his dad was very believable as was his friendship with Nog, who also made sense in his own non-annoying way.

Jake and Nog were not annoying Child insert characters which goes to show how well the DS9 characters were made.

Spot-on. Kids in TV shows are generally bad, kids in Sci-Fi shows tend to be walking tropes. I liked that Jake was a clever and capable child but not some kind of prodigy. I liked that his mother died but that the death of his mother wasn't his character's defining feature.

I liked that that the show didn't go down the easy route of having him enrol in Starfleet which for 30 years had been pretty much universally held up as being the natural career of choice for people in that Universe. Instead he grappled with working out what he did want to do, which really resonated with me as a kid of a similar age.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

For me my top 3 are in the following order

1. Garak - especially for the episode "In the pale moonlight". Always has a backup plan for a backup plan, thinking many moves ahead of his opponent. Would love to see debate between Garak and Data.

2. Sisko - hardass captain, made decisions that were tough yet provocative. Always had a bit of ferengi and cardassian/romulan in the way he managed others. Best bad guy type move Sisko makes, poisoning the maquis colony in quest to get back at Michael Eddington (also another great character) in "For the uniform"

3. Luther Sloan - Love this side of the federation that you would normally never see, very few episodes where section 31 show up but when they do are impactful. Especially like the episode "Extreme measures" with Bashir and O'Brien wondering around Sloan's decaying mind trying to find the cure for Odo, however even in his mind he taunts them with temptations to remain and die with him having secrets of section 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Kirby wrote: »
    The fact that she was played by one of the worst actors of all time didn't help.

Jesus, she was bad. Tommy Wiseau levels of bad.

MILES!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

goose2005 wrote: »
    MILES!

FYP: MYYYYY-ellllllsssss

How can you put two syllables into Miles?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Terry Farrell is marrying Adam Nimoy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

Terry Farrell is marrying Adam Nimoy

Didn't she fancy his dad....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Inviere wrote: »
    Didn't she fancy his dad....

the old Reverse Baelish manouevre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Plain simple Garek
    wins it (ofcoarse he had my vote as well)

anyone interred in more its non cannon but he wrote book thats in the form of a letter Garek writes to Julian post DS9

its called a stitch in time (garek tell bashir about his own youth and the cardassian reconstruction effort)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

Slarkon wrote: »
    Plain simple Garek

anyone interred in more its non cannon but he wrote book thats in the form of a letter Garek writes to Julian post DS9

its called a stitch in time (garek tell bashir about his own youth and the cardassian reconstruction effort)

That's one non canon book I'd be interested in (possibly the only one!), must pick it up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Slarkon wrote: »
    Plain simple Garek

I was actually a little disappointed by the book. I think I was hoping for it to concentrate more on the fallout of the Dominion War but it focuses more on filling out Garak's past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Garak for me,
    I think mixing the main characters in with the fantastic reoccurring characters skewed the results.

Dukat was probably the second best reoccurring character , just beating Rom, Matok, Damar, Kai Winn , with the last 3 not even included on the poll.
    Give me the likes of Dukat, Martok, etc over Jake, Keiko anyday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Is anyone going to mention Leeta? She had the most gorgeous big...eyes.

Advertisement