Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown 6 Not Guilty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Sleeve of wizard

McCrack wrote: »
    I'm disappointed with the jury decision I have to say

You should really direct that disappointment towards the clowns in the DPP and AGS that conspired to bring the shambles to court.

Terrible decision, Murphy and co are a total disgrace and should have been punished. Pure scum with plenty of idiots supporting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

golfball37 wrote: »
    Political show trial falls flat on its arse. What a terrible waste of our money. The Gardai who committed a crime by perjuring themselves should really be sanctioned, and would be in a proper country.

Have you any idea what a show trial is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I must admit i haven't followed this but was it not the case that they blocked someone in their car for a couple of hours. How is that legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Peaceful protest my ass, it was an attempt to intimidate a democratically elected TD.

When it happens again, the guards should just send in the public order unit.

goes to show how much you know...they did...lol..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Theyre making a movie about these guys now.
    'In the Name Of The Father 2'

Terrible decision, Murphy and co are a total disgrace and should have been punished. Pure scum with plenty of idiots supporting them.

Maybe they should change the legal definition for false imprisonment so?

No matter what your opinion of Murphy and Co, punishing them for a crime a jury have deemed them innocent of isn't advisable in a western democratic country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

red ears wrote: »
    I must admit i haven't followed this but was it not the case that they blocked someone in their car for a couple of hours. How is that legal?
    Earlier on Thursday, the jury asked to view video footage taken by a Garda helicopter on the day to consider the question of whether an SUV containing the former tánaiste Ms Burton could have reversed away from water charges protesters.

The trial has heard that at one stage gardaí in the helicopter suggested that the SUV might be able to reverse out of where it was being obstructed by an angry crowd of protesters.

In her charge to the jury, which she completed early yesterday afternoon, the judge said there were three possible exit routes which the jury might consider when assessing whether Ms Bruton, and Ms O’Connell, were falsely imprisoned during the Jobstown protest.

In her charge the judge told the jury that in order for an offence of false imprisonment to occur, the persons affected must have no reasonable route available to them to exit where they are allegedly being detained.

The detention must be “total,” she explained.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/jobstown-trial-six-cleared-of-burton-false-imprisonment-1.3137761

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Shemale wrote: »
    The DPP should be sacked for sending this to trial, complete political posturing of the highest order.

No matter what you do wrong in this country, sit tight and it will blow over. "Something" will come up in the news tomorrow to distract the sheeple.

Shred important bank documents - that's fine.
    Place a whistleblower on a sex-offenders list - that's fine.

DPP probably won't even address it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

No matter what you do wrong in this country, sit tight and it will blow over. "Something" will come up in the news tomorrow to distract the sheeple.

Shred important bank documents - that's fine.
    Place a whistleblower on a sex-offenders list - that's fine.

DPP probably won't even address it.

Sheeple?

Jaysus that's embarrassing.

• Advertisement

red ears wrote: »

It was demonstrated in court that the car in question had various options open for the driver to leave the area, but the gards chose not to take them.

I believe I also read something about AGS preventing Joan and her aide from exiting the car, so essentially her liberty wasn't restricted by PM, but by the AGS themselves.

It was part of the defences argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

No matter what your opinion of Murphy and Co, punishing them for a crime a jury have deemed them innocent of isn't advisable in a western democratic country.

Is this not a case of the Guards charging politians and protesters for an offence that never actually occurred ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,227 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sheeple?

Jaysus that's embarrassing.

Less embarrassing than a judge directing a jury to ignore Garda statements contravened by Garda footage imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I still can't believe this trial went ahead so I'm happy with this verdict. I really dislike Paul Murphy and I think the behaviour of many of those in attendance at the protest was dreadful. I would not condone a lot of what went on at all. But I just cannot see how this could ever have been false imprisonment - pursuing that charge as opposed to other lesser charges makes me very suspicious of the motivations of the DPP and the powers that be. The carry on surrounding the arrest of Murphy was also ridiculous. The garda evidence was unreliable and leaves me further doubting their credibility as an organisation. I understand people who think the protestors deserve to face some sort of charges for their behaviour but I just can't even remotely see how anyone could legitimately think false imprisonment charges were appropriate.

Overall this trial would leave me, as an ordinary Joe not involved in any way with water charges or anti austerity protests etc, feeling very concerned with the conduct of the gardai and with little confidence in how the state decides prosecute cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The judge pretty much told the jury to ignore all the statements from members of AGS, and instead to focus on video evidence.

The judge basically calling them liars.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Less embarrassing than a judge directing a jury to ignore Garda statements contravened by Garda footage imo.

Never saw that in the reports. Have you any link to where it was reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Where were those so called peaceful protesters from was it Jobstown or Yobstown ?

Agree totally with your description of Murphy. However, the DPP brought the wrong charges. Kidnapping was never going to stick. They'll be insufferable now!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I would never have being a big fan of Joan. I do think tough she was probably a big scared tough that day. I don't think she was held hostage tough.
    However, I honestly don't trust Paul Murphy one little bit. Theirs just something about him and I can't put my finger on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I would never have being a big fan of Joan. I do think tough she was probably a big scared tough that day. I don't think she was held hostage tough.
    However, I honestly don't trust Paul Murphy one little bit. Theirs just something about him and I can't put my finger on it.

The fact that she was an elected politician has nothing whatsoever to do with feeling safe or having free movement.

Would I like what happened to Burton to happen to my mother or sister? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Great to see justice for the lads and all the Fine Gael and Labour heads all up in arms over it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Right decision. Don't like Murphy one bit, bit it's a real shame to see just how far the Irish Labour Party have fallen. Compare with what's going on in the UK with Jeremy Corbyn inspiring young voters, to Joan Burton trying to get them sent to jail for protesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭victor8600

Here goes my intention of suing the M50 management/Garda/Fire brigade for False Imprisonment because my car was stuck in traffic for 15 minutes while they cleared a crash. On the other hand, my "imprisonment" was total as I could not reverse nor leave by any other route. So I may still have a chance? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Right decision. Don't like Murphy one bit, bit it's a real shame to see just how far the Irish Labour Party have fallen. Compare with what's going on in the UK with Jeremy Corbyn inspiring young voters, to Joan Burton trying to get them sent to jail for protesting..

Joan Burton/Labour didn't take the case, it was taken by the state, she was merely a witness.

But I'm sure you already knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,227 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Never saw that in the reports. Have you any link to where it was reported?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/jobstown-trial-jury-resume-deliberations-after-being-recharged-35874561.html
    Judge Greally went on to direct the jurors on the video footage the jury had seen and reminded them that the oral testimony was of lesser importance.

The video was “the best and most reliable account” of the events, she said. She pointed to the defence assertion that Scott Masterson’s actions on the video and that he “invites the gardai to get Joan Burton out of the car” was inconsistent with guilt.
    Addressing the jury on policing, she said they should consider the absence of garda statements raised questions about the fairness of the investigation and whether there was any policing “agenda,” in particular in relation to Paul Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Would I like what happened to Burton to happen to my mother or sister? No.

I wouldn't like it to happen to anybody to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Allinall wrote: »
    What specifically did the government have to do with this case?

And which government, for that matter?

So you reckon this was an entirely apolitical case?
    That the DPP took a look at the available evidence and actually thought this was a clear cut case of a government minister being falsely imprisoned and it best served the public to press charges?

Is that really what you think?

Not even a hint of an auld personal vendetta about it no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭howiya

Will the DPP go ahead with the other cases over the protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

an absolutely fantastic day in the history of this republic.
    a victory for democracy.
    the correct decisian was made, they weren't guilty.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

The worst thing about this for me is that the tactics of the AAA appear to be working. Threatening, abusing and intimidating people you don't agree with all appear to be fair game. I wonder where the line will be drawn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

seamus wrote: »
    The DPP disagrees with you.

That's the whole point of a judicial system - to test whether a charge can be proven. The level or severity of the charges are irrelevant.

You can charge me with murder, but that doesn't make me guilty of murder. At the criminal level, there is functionally no difference between a big charge and a small charge. It doesn't matter if you've been charged with common assault or attempted murder, the case must be proven either way.

Evidently they do. I disagree with them.

The DPP should act in the public interest, these charges were farcical and weren't in the interest of the public.

Advertisement