Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobstown 6 Not Guilty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

How is that not a contradiction?

How can justice be served, but the verdict be wrong?:confused:

My opinion is that the verdict is wrong but that's just my opinion as a randomer on the internet. Doesn't influence the process of justice. Justice was served because they were subject to due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I would certainly hope so. We'll have to see what happens when the IFA surrounds a minister's car and intimidates the occupants for two hours.

As has been proven, this didn't happen in Jobstown. The car was not surrounded and could have left another way.

Keep repeating the lies of the establishment though....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How is that not a contradiction?

How can justice be served, but the verdict be wrong?:confused:

Justice being served and holding an opinion of whether somebody did something wrong regardless of the verdict are not the same thing, they don't contradict each other in the slightest.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    As has been proven, this didn't happen in Jobstown. The car was not surrounded and could have left another way.

Keep repeating the lies of the establishment though....

So what happened to Burton isn't a problem? No problem if it happens to your mother? Ok.

You can stack a jury, you cannot guarantee what that jury will decide though if the evidence is so overwhelming the judge directs the jury to ignore the critical evidence givers.

It is perfectly legitimate to say that the 'system' believed or needed these men to be guilty. They did their 'best' to ensure a guilty verdict. It didn't work.

Well yes its is the DPP's job to ensure a guilty verdict just like its the defence's job to ensure a not guilty verdict not sure where your going with this tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

Absolutely delighted with today's verdict. As soon as the video evidence from the Garda helicopter came to light I felt it would have to be a not-guilty verdict.

This case should never have been brought and there are serious questions to be answered by Gardai and other witnesses who have been shown to have been extremely economical with the truth when delivering evidence under oath.

The establishment in this country are far too quick to try and demonise what they call the far left and their bully-boy tactics have backfired spectacularly in this case.

Amazing the amount of posters with very few posts who are all over this thread. Definitely not concerted. No Siree Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

So what happened to Burton isn't a problem? No problem if it happens to your mother? Ok.

This not guilty verdict does not demonstrate that the jury thought what happened to Burton was OK or not a problem. It demonstrated that the DPP were utterly wrong to bring this charge against the accused.

You have already stated that it was absolutely correct to bring this charge and the jury was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

VinLieger wrote: »
    Justice being served and holding an opinion of whether somebody did something wrong regardless of the verdict are not the same thing, they don't contradict each other in the slightest.

How so?

Say you believe that a man guilty of murder has gotten off scot free, how do you reconcile that with justice being served in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭Allinall

sheepo wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted with today's verdict. As soon as the video evidence from the Garda helicopter came to light I felt it would have to be a not-guilty verdict.

This case should never have been brought and there are serious questions to be answered by Gardai and other witnesses who have been shown to have been extremely economical with the truth when delivering evidence under oath.

The establishment in this country are far too quick to try and demonise what they call the far left and their bully-boy tactics have backfired spectacularly in this case.

Are the far left not part of the establishment?

• Advertisement

Amazing the amount of posters with very few posts who are all over this thread. Definitely not concerted. No Siree Bob.

Yeah my handlers in the Kremlin sent me straight here as soon as the verdict was announced :rolleyes:

Sorry I didn't realise a high post-count was a pre-requisite for making a point here.

Allinall wrote: »

I suppose that's a matter of opinion - I don't consider them to be.

How so.

If you believe that a man guilty of murder has gotten off scot free, how do you reconcile that with justice being served?

Okay do you believe a garlic smuggler should have gotten 6 years in prison? Of course not its ridiculous BUT thats justice being served.

If the evidence is similarly not there to call a person you believe to be a murderer guilty then that is also Justice being served.

Justice and your opinion of a persons actions are two completely different things

• Registered Users Posts: 68,177 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well yes its is the DPP's job to ensure a guilty verdict just like its the defence's job to ensure a not guilty verdict not sure where your going with this tbh.

Yes, and the question is, did the DPP do their job in an independent way. It is perfectly legitimate to believe they didn't.

Allinall wrote: »

SHHH we don't talk about that contradiction

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

LOL at the pictures of these eejits cheering and shouting about justice being done outside the courthouse while the sheep behind them hold up signs saying "no faith in the system"..... well which is it? Or is it as usual the loony left want it both ways depending on which one suits them best at the time?

both as they did nothing wrong hence justice was done, and the establishment tried to jail them for protesting hence no faith in the system for the most part.
    they did nothing to croney joaney apart from inconvenience her. i'm sure it wasn't nice for her but we must be proportionate about what actually happened.
    anyway the subverting of democracy has failed. well done all.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Not guilty, however a peaceful protest it was not. Nobody can condone what happened there regardless of who the person trapped in the car was.

Yes, and the question is, did the DPP do their job in an independent way. It is perfectly legitimate to believe they didn't.

Elaborate on what you mean by "did the DPP do their job in an independent way"

This not guilty verdict does not demonstrate that the jury thought what happened to Burton was OK or not a problem. It demonstrated that the DPP were utterly wrong to bring this charge against the accused.

You have already stated that it was absolutely correct to bring this charge and the jury was wrong

Yes. That doesn't mean that I therefore don't believe justice was served. Just because, in my opinion, the jury made a mistake in this case doesn't mean that the process is invalid. It's not perfect but it's the best we have and it's damn good when you consider alternatives around the world. In this case, I'm not a judge, witness, defendant, lawyer, Garda, DPP. Therefore my opinion on the verdict doesn't matter. They were subject to due process and the DPP was absolutely right to bring a prosecution based on the evidence.

sheepo wrote: »
    Yeah my handlers in the Kremlin sent me straight here as soon as the verdict was announced :rolleyes:

Sorry I didn't realise a high post-count was a pre-requisite for making a point here.

Knew it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yes. That doesn't mean that I therefore don't believe justice was served. Just because, in my opinion, the jury made a mistake in this case doesn't mean that the process is invalid. It's not perfect but it's the best we have and it's damn good when you consider alternatives around the world. In this case, I'm not a judge, witness, defendant, lawyer, Garda, DPP. Therefore my opinion on the verdict doesn't matter. They were subject to due process and the DPP was absolutely right to bring a prosecution based on the evidence.

Why do you think the jury made a mistake?

both as they did nothing wrong hence justice was done, and the establishment tried to jail them for protesting hence no faith in the system for the most part.
    they did nothing to croney joaney apart from inconvenience her. i'm sure it wasn't nice for her but we must be proportionate about what actually happened.
    anyway the subverting of democracy has failed. well done all.

Please explain how this was an attempt to subvert democracy? At what point was the entire system of democracy under threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Justice and your opinion of a persons actions are two completely different things

OK I'm with you. I meant justice more in the primordial "got what they deserved" sense.

Justice being served, as in the justice system being followed to the letter, I see your point.

Why do you think the jury made a mistake?

Based on the evidence as reported, I would have argued against acquittal. But as I keep saying, my opinion on the verdict is irrelevant to the process.

Elaborate on what you mean by "did the DPP do their job in an independent way"

It is perfectly legitimate to ask the question - was pressure put on the DPP by political elements?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

sheepo wrote:

Would you be happy with a bunch of rowdy right wing supporters preventing Murphy from getting out of his car for three hours, or does the far left only get to play the victim card?

It is perfectly legitimate to ask the question - was pressure put on the DPP by political elements?
    Pressure from the AAA for the DPP not to prosecute this case? I would hope not.

Do you believe considering how nobody in this country can hold their piss we wouldnt know if pressure had been applied? Also considering how much the DPP fumbled this and the Fitzpatrick case that they are competent enough to not have let it slip if they were pressured?

It was the right verdict. Claiming they were being denied the right to protest is nonsense. Peaceful protest is available to everyone. That wasn't a peaceful protest. It was thuggery of the highest order.

No doubt they'll be jumping on the bin charge bandwagon next.

• Advertisement

Do you believe considering how nobody in this country can hold their piss we wouldnt know if pressure had been applied? Also considering how much the DPP fumbled this and the Fitzpatrick case that they are competent enough to not have let it slip if they were pressured?

I have no idea.
    The point I was making was that it is a legitimate point of view to have that the 'system' is stacked against you.

Advertisement